3. Lucas Lovejoy

4. Liberty Hill

5. Huntsville 

6. Lubbock Cooper 

7. Ennis 

8. Mansfield Timberview 

9. Leander Rouse 

10. Grapevine 

As far as 5A-D1, it's hard to think Manvel won't take a step back after losing their stud qb that transferred in from Louisiana last season. Their backup qb was also a senior last year, meaning whoever wins the job will be seeing his first varsity action under center. Good luck in that murders row of a district I expect to be even better than last year. 

In 5A-D2 I think we are right where we should be. I would question 3-5 and #9 though. Lovejoy lost their primary offensive weapons. Liberty Hill graduated about 5,600 of their approximately 6,300 rushing yards and can't really defend teams with plus athletes.

Huntsville has won most of their games recently with suffocating defense. They weren't ranked near as high as some of the other DTs in the state but those Bobino brothers carried that defense and are gone now. If you can win individual matchups on the outside you can carve that Hornet defense up like Crosby did in '19. They do bring back their qb who I really like and their leading rusher but they're still not going to threaten good teams with offensive explosions. 

I don't get Rouse at #9 at all? Yes, they bring back pretty  much all of their offensive weapons but what did they do that makes DCTF think they're one of the best teams in the state? They lost by 27 to third place A&M Con. and barely beat a 4-6 Leander Glenn team by one point. 

*You know it's getting close to football season when fans start to concern themselves with ranking that mean absolutely nothing. 

1 hour ago, Cougar14.2 said:

As far as 5A-D1, it's hard to think Manvel won't take a step back after losing their stud qb that transferred in from Louisiana last season. Their backup qb was also a senior last year, meaning whoever wins the job will be seeing his first varsity action under center. Good luck in that murders row of a district I expect to be even better than last year. 

In 5A-D2 I think we are right where we should be. I would question 3-5 and #9 though. Lovejoy lost their primary offensive weapons. Liberty Hill graduated about 5,600 of their approximately 6,300 rushing yards and can't really defend teams with plus athletes.

Huntsville has won most of their games recently with suffocating defense. They weren't ranked near as high as some of the other DTs in the state but those Bobino brothers carried that defense and are gone now. If you can win individual matchups on the outside you can carve that Hornet defense up like Crosby did in '19. They do bring back their qb who I really like and their leading rusher but they're still not going to threaten good teams with offensive explosions. 

I don't get Rouse at #9 at all? Yes, they bring back pretty  much all of their offensive weapons but what did they do that makes DCTF think they're one of the best teams in the state? They lost by 27 to third place A&M Con. and barely beat a 4-6 Leander Glenn team by one point. 

*You know it's getting close to football season when fans start to concern themselves with ranking that mean absolutely nothing. 

DCTF likes returners. They give rank to teams with a lot of returning starters. Not sure how many they have back but if they look like they shouldnt be there its probably because they have a lot coming back. 

4 hours ago, prepballfan said:

How bout Grapevine creeping in there

Well, I felt they were a lot more deserving of their #10 ranking than Rouse is at #9. They won 10 games and bring a nice nucleus back, plus they're only one of three teams with Cooper and Rider than can actually win the region. 

32 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Well, I felt they were a lot more deserving of their #10 ranking than Rouse is at #9. They won 10 games and bring a nice nucleus back, plus they're only one of three teams with Cooper and Rider than can actually win the region. 

I agree with you. Wait is this s real moment of a shared view point? Lol.

22 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

I'm a believer that the extra 6 weeks of practice a state team gets is worth something... Crosby makes my top 10.

Idk about this year but next FBM should be the favorite to win state if they stay D2.

Lovejoy seems ranked too high. Guess we will find out. 

Wonder how Texas High and Ennis bounce back.

Region 4 probably comes down to Rouse and LH but I hope Tivy can make a run. 

Weird not seeing WF Rider in the top 10.

How many does it say Aledo returns?  I guess 5/5 but really we have a boatload of kids that played last season returning.

21 hours ago, prepballfan said:

DCTF likes returners. They give rank to teams with a lot of returning starters. Not sure how many they have back but if they look like they shouldnt be there its probably because they have a lot coming back. 

I noticed that too. They do some homework but rely on number of returning starters a bit much. Sometimes it highly correlates, but no guarantee. 

There’s no legit way to rank teams early unless you go by returning players, starters back and last year success. I would probably put Crosby top 10, but it doesn’t matter because they usually play a rough non district schedule and could go 0-3, but then run the table. IMO, rankings are overrated, especially the first 4 or 5 weeks.

2 hours ago, TradenupBH said:

There’s no legit way to rank teams early unless you go by returning players, starters back and last year success. I would probably put Crosby top 10, but it doesn’t matter because they usually play a rough non district schedule and could go 0-3, but then run the table. IMO, rankings are overrated, especially the first 4 or 5 weeks.

Like knick-knacks on the mantle, a good conversation piece but not worth a lot.

On 6/22/2021 at 2:11 PM, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

Week-3. 

If Crosby is healthy I think that will be PAM's first L. We lost some studs but I don't think you're going to see much dropoff overall from the skill positions though. Myles might end up being our best overall qb since Aston Walter? Defense looked solid during the Spring but they were playing against our offense. I expect our new co-DCs to have Crosby's defense in very good shape after having to prepare for Carthage and Manvel. PAM should have the better athletes but I think Crosby has the better staff on the sideline and the score will indicate that. 

1 hour ago, Cougar14.2 said:

If Crosby is healthy I think that will be PAM's first L. We lost some studs but I don't think you're going to see much dropoff overall from the skill positions though. Myles might end up being our best overall qb since Aston Walter? Defense looked solid during the Spring but they were playing against our offense. I expect our new co-DCs to have Crosby's defense in very good shape after having to prepare for Carthage and Manvel. PAM should have the better athletes but I think Crosby has the better staff on the sideline and the score will indicate that. 

I agree Cougar 14.2 ! One or two more move ins should put the Cougars in the District race pronto ! Thanks SC ! 2022 should be a very good year also.

3 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Co DC's ???

Lovejoy lost a lot but they also gained a lot in the way of newcomers who have moved in from just down the road....keep that in mind...and also Chris Ross gets the benefit of the doubt....

5A-Division II outside of 3-4 teams is a real crap shoot.....I think the difference between 5 and 20 is minimal at best....I think we are a little too bullish on Liberty Hill as well..but R4 gives them a shot to get it rolling...thats also why Rouse is rated so highly

6 hours ago, Separation Scientist said:

I am hearing some good things about Lovejoy from a friend up in DFW. He tells me they are flying under the radar but coming on strong. In the next few years they will be a force to be reckoned with.  

Not sure being ranked #3 is close to flying under the radar lol. 

7 hours ago, Matthew328 said:

Lovejoy lost a lot but they also gained a lot in the way of newcomers who have moved in from just down the road....keep that in mind...and also Chris Ross gets the benefit of the doubt....

5A-Division II outside of 3-4 teams is a real crap shoot.....I think the difference between 5 and 20 is minimal at best....I think we are a little too bullish on Liberty Hill as well..but R4 gives them a shot to get it rolling...thats also why Rouse is rated so highly

Who moved in to Lovejoy? And I slightly disagree about 5-20. I'd say 10-20. The top 9 are pretty solid. 

22 minutes ago, Matthew328 said:

I know several from Allen are now at Lovejoy and have clean PAPFs including a multiple starters...most notable is Payton Pierce who started for Allen as a freshman

Sounds fun. They should have a good LB core with the new kid and #20 who was pretty good last season.