High school football player head buts ref...

prepballfan

49 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Wow!  Thia is very wrong and he deserved to be kicked out, but 1, what did that ref tell that kid.  He was lining up and the ref walked by him and said two things.  2, what lead up to this?  I'm sure we can see it the last 5 or so plays.   

Let me get this straight. We exist in a culture where kids are encouraged to look up to the biggest trash talkers. We all want to be the basketball player that “posterizes” some cat then backpedals up the court talking smack to anybody who comes into sight. 

There’s trash talking all over the field on any play. But to use “but what did he say?” as a defense for a felony assault (punishable in the real world by 2-10 years in prison) is laughable.

If you put your hands on somebody, that’s okay. That’s part of our DNA. But be a man about it... don’t say “b-b-b-but he called me....” Just take your punishment like a man... no excuses. 

6 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

Let me get this straight. We exist in a culture where kids are encouraged to look up to the biggest trash talkers. We all want to be the basketball player that “posterizes” some cat then backpedals up the court talking smack to anybody who comes into sight. 

There’s trash talking all over the field on any play. But to use “but what did he say?” as a defense for a felony assault (punishable in the real world by 2-10 years in prison) is laughable.

If you put your hands on somebody, that’s okay. That’s part of our DNA. But be a man about it... don’t say “b-b-b-but he called me....” Just take your punishment like a man... no excuses. 

Not as a defense at all.  My first statement confirms that.  Read the WHOLE post.  I asked about what did the ref say because obviously,  there was something said to set that kid off.  He was kinda lining up, then the ref said two things that got the kid going.  If it was the WRONG  thing the ref said, he needs to be reprimanded as well. 

2 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Not as a defense at all.  My first statement confirms that.  Read the WHOLE post.  I asked about what did the ref say because obviously,  there was something said to set that kid off.  He was kinda lining up, then the ref said two things that got the kid going.  If it was the WRONG  thing the ref said, he needs to be reprimanded as well. 

Nah.... In life people are going to say things to you that you aren't going to like.  You can either say something back (which is an appropriate response), or say nothing.  But if you choose to bonk somebody over the head, whatever was said to you has no bearing on the punishment that you are about to receive.  It's a concept that's lost on a lot of people.  

What if what he said was "Hey, 56.... watch those hands...." or maybe "Hey, 56.... keep your mouth shut... we don't need that...." or even "hey, 56.... you ain't ______, ain't never been _____, and your kids aren't ever gonna be ______" or even called him every slur known to man.  It has no bearing on the punishment that the kid is gonna receive for his actions.  

It's a distinction that a lot of young men don't grasp until they're being judged by a jury of their peers.  Mostly because adults will "teach" them that way.  It doesn't matter what I call you. There are two lessons to learn... I can't just say anything to anybody and expect to never get smacked in the mouth over it. The second lesson is that IF you take exception to what somebody says to you and you decide to smack somebody, you're going to pay a heavy price.... and the fact that somebody talked ugly to you in no way diminishes the punishment that you are going to receive for your actions. 

2 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

Nah.... In life people are going to say things to you that you aren't going to like.  You can either say something back (which is an appropriate response), or say nothing.  But if you choose to bonk somebody over the head, whatever was said to you has no bearing on the punishment that you are about to receive.  It's a concept that's lost on a lot of people.  

What if what he said was "Hey, 56.... watch those hands...." or maybe "Hey, 56.... keep your mouth shut... we don't need that...." or even "hey, 56.... you ain't ______, ain't never been _____, and your kids aren't ever gonna be ______" or even called him every slur known to man.  It has no bearing on the punishment that the kid is gonna receive for his actions.  

It's a distinction that a lot of young men don't grasp until they're being judged by a jury of their peers.  Mostly because adults will "teach" them that way.  It doesn't matter what I call you. There are two lessons to learn... I can't just say anything to anybody and expect to never get smacked in the mouth over it. The second lesson is that IF you take exception to what somebody says to you and you decide to smack somebody, you're going to pay a heavy price.... and the fact that somebody talked ugly to you in no way diminishes the punishment that you are going to receive for your actions. 

I always look at each side.  LOOK not agree.  I agree that the kid is wrong and will pay the price.  I agree that the kid should go through the legal process. But in the sake of debate, which is why we post here sometimes and by having many people of different nationalities, opinions, up bringing,  morals, ect., we should be able to weigh in on both sides.  Me, I'm a devil's advocate kind of guy.  Should be apparent for anyone that's been on this site for a significant time.  If what you came up with was that I believe that there was a situation that I'd agree with any kid physically assaulting an adult, then you may have to re evaluate your way of thinking, which is a head scratcher to me.  And for me having to break this down like this is beyond me.  

But back to football.  This kid shouldn't be allowed to play another down of football on the high school level for that headbutt to an official...

4 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

I always look at each side.  LOOK not agree.  I agree that the kid is wrong and will pay the price.  I agree that the kid should go through the legal process. But in the sake of debate, which is why we post here sometimes and by having many people of different nationalities, opinions, up bringing,  morals, ect., we should be able to weigh in on both sides.  Me, I'm a devil's advocate kind of guy.  Should be apparent for anyone that's been on this site for a significant time.  If what you came up with was that I believe that there was a situation that I'd agree with any kid physically assaulting an adult, then you may have to re evaluate your way of thinking, which is a head scratcher to me.  And for me having to break this down like this is beyond me.  

But back to football.  This kid shouldn't be allowed to play another down of football on the high school level for that headbutt to an official...

I actually watched the video and noticed that the ref threw a flag right before he was head-butted.  My guess is that the flag had something to do with what the young man said.... and throwing the flag is what earned the headbutt. I also noticed that the young man then went after a different zebra towards the end of the video.  I'm just not convinced that the ref that was headbutted had a whole lot to do with being attacked.  

HOWEVER, I disagree with throwing the kid out.  I say to expel him from playing this season.... but he is allowed to participate in practice/training.  If he's still around in a year, give him another try.  With an apology and whatever else their version of the UIL throws at him.  I just hate to write a kid off. 

21 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

I actually watched the video and noticed that the ref threw a flag right before he was head-butted.  My guess is that the flag had something to do with what the young man said.... and throwing the flag is what earned the headbutt. I also noticed that the young man then went after a different zebra towards the end of the video.  I'm just not convinced that the ref that was headbutted had a whole lot to do with being attacked.  

HOWEVER, I disagree with throwing the kid out.  I say to expel him from playing this season.... but he is allowed to participate in practice/training.  If he's still around in a year, give him another try.  With an apology and whatever else their version of the UIL throws at him.  I just hate to write a kid off. 

Hitting a ref intentionally is inexcusable.  I dont think I can just let that go like that.  If that were my school,  that kid would be done... now mouthing off?  That's different. You can punish a kid for that..  but you cant have kids assaulting adults.   

i look at this at all angles. I don't care WHAT the ref said. YOU DON'T PUT YOUR HANDS ON AN ADULT. now, did he do this knowing that this adult won't do anything back cause he has his team and coach to protect him? cause taking BOTH the ref and the player OFF the field and place them on the block, i'm almost sure the kid wouldn't say boo...if he does act like this in public....natural selection time and put one between the eyes...thats me...i'm too old to fight lol

So, after reading some articles about this game, the player that head butted the official throat punched a player from the other team on the play before and received a personal foul. Then he preceded to argue with said official finally head butting him then going after another official. Both teams where warned after the first quarter that the game would be called tight because of the high number of personal foul penalties. The blue team is on probation for football and basketball for actions like these. The game was about half way through the second quarter and the officials called the game because of it getting out of hand.  

2 hours ago, STiger85 said:

So, after reading some articles about this game, the player that head butted the official throat punched a player from the other team on the play before and received a personal foul. Then he preceded to argue with said official finally head butting him then going after another official. Both teams where warned after the first quarter that the game would be called tight because of the high number of personal foul penalties. The blue team is on probation for football and basketball for actions like these. The game was about half way through the second quarter and the officials called the game because of it getting out of hand.  

Ok, THIS was the answer I was looking for.  I knew something lead up to this.  But this sounds more like the player is a hothead loose cannon...