Best Meal in Area Restaurant

Hagar

16 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

@Hagar and I are going to have to be the judges of these two claims.  Let us know where we can pick up a pot of both.  We promise to report back our reviews and return the containers....

I have absolutely no reason to lie. Next time I make a gumbo I'll let you know and meet you somewhere and bring you a bowl. Everything I said is true.

Not trying to top Smash mouth. I am sure he makes a killer gumbo too.

12 minutes ago, baddog said:

I have absolutely no reason to lie. Next time I make a gumbo I'll let you know and meet you somewhere and bring you a bowl. Everything I said is true.

I don’t doubt you a bit.   Hagar and I were just trying to score some grub :D 

22 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

@Hagar and I are going to have to be the judges of these two claims.  Let us know where we can pick up a pot of both.  We promise to report back our reviews and return the containers....

It might be better to have three judges so the vote has a tiebreaker. I would be happy to volunteer my services...for strictly research purposes, of course.

1 hour ago, TxHoops said:

Sounds like a deal.  And baddog could search high & low and not find 3 better connoisseurs.  And yes, we’ll return the containers, with bite marks :) 

23 hours ago, baddog said:

I’m sure yours is awesome. That’s why I said I’d put mine against any area restaurant gumbo. Too many coon-ajuns in these parts to claim the best homemade gumbo. I do love me some shrimp and crab gumbo!

News Flash on the Food thread.  New small restaurant in the Vidor Walmart called Cajun Works.  It’s the first one franchised out (I think that’s the right terminology).  Original is in Breau Bridge.  Went & got wife and I some etouffee (her shrimp, me crawfish) Friday.  It was good.  Not the best I ever ate, but still good.  Might be a little spicy for some, but certainly not overpowering.  Got buko other stuff on the menu.  Portions probably just right for normal people, but I could’ve easily eaten another order.  Had to finish off my wife’s - thank goodness.  Got to go back & try the crawfish pies, and boudain balls.  Man, I do love Cajun cooking.

18 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

Anyone ever have the beef tips (double order) at Richard’s in Beaumont? Add some of their okra and tomatoes and a wedge of cornbread... Dang son!

You must be a big guy to be able to eat double anything at Richards. I like the smothered pork chops with rice and gravy, black eyed peas, and cabbage. Stuffed like a tick when I leave.

50 minutes ago, baddog said:

You must be a big guy to be able to eat double anything at Richards. I like the smothered pork chops with rice and gravy, black eyed peas, and cabbage. Stuffed like a tick when I leave.

Lol. Let's just say I'm not necessarily on the small side. Honestly, I can't ever finish it in one sitting, but the double order gives me a little sumpin sumpin for later...

On 10/18/2018 at 4:30 PM, TxHoops said:

By the way, for anyone with a hankering for Central Texas Barbeque, Killen’s in Pearland is as good or better than most.  The brisket and beef rib are top 5 in the state (which means top 5 in the world of course) imo.   

For Southeast Texas, JB’s in Orange is still the best to me (although if you are a BBQ connoisseur, “best” is very much a relative term for SETX bbq).  

@PN-G bamatex treat yourself one day and hit Micklethwait’s trailer one day for lunch.  Everything he does is homemade (even the bread) and his brisket, ribs, etc are all excellent.   Also rotates the homemade sausage with all kinds of varieties.  You should also try his jalapeño cheese grits.  Finally, if you can go now that it’s cooler, try a homemade moon pie.  All of it is outstanding.  

killen's is great bbq

On 10/22/2018 at 0:34 PM, baddog said:

Man, I tried to stay local. If you like shrimp tacos, you will find none better than the ones at Irma's by minute maid park. Best catfish locally is Pine Tree Lodge (well, maybe not right now).

Best Mexican food, my wife and I like La Cantina.

Best margarita is at Casa Tapatia on the feeder road past the Calder Casa Ole in Beaumont. I am not wrong on that one, I can promise you.

On 10/23/2018 at 7:16 PM, baddog said:

Don's was the best. I do love Floyd's shrimp gumbo. They have a huge bowl not on the menu. I call it the Jethro bowl. Hard to eat it all.

Richard's gumbo is delicious, but I have never eaten it all in one meal. I usually eat their pork chops and rice with black eyed peas and boiled cabbage. I get stuffed like a tick. Lol

baddog you and i definately agree on food choices

On 11/2/2018 at 10:02 PM, Hagar said:

Best Bar-bq links, imo, Patillo’s on Wash Blvd.  Not for anyone who thinks grease will kill you.  But I sure like them suckers.  Best Bar-bq, locally a no-brainer, JB’s in Orange.  And my mouth is watering just posting this.

If you like those kinds of links, venture on over to Gerard’s just a few blocks away on Fannett Rd just past Beaumont United (formerly Ozen) campus. 

From the early 60’s to maybe mid-80’s I was a big Patillo’s fan but when the old family died off, I don’t find the output is nearly as good as Gerard’s. 

Best Bar-bq links, imo, Patillo’s on Wash Blvd.  Not for anyone who thinks grease will kill you.  But I sure like them suckers.  Best Bar-bq, locally a no-brainer, JB’s in Orange.  And my mouth is watering just posting this.

Amen on JB’s.  For sure the best locally. 

Never tried their links. Always get the sliced beef plate. Their sliced beef sandwich is killer too but you have to eat it there or pretty soon after. It will get soggy on you. Lol.

Agree with TVC on the downturn.