Joey Batflips got what was coming to him

9 hours ago, wo-s#1 said:

I don't believe in the punch swinging mess but man I just can't get enough of this one...espn says he wasn't wrong for the slide,clearly over the bag??

it all started in the playoffs last year when Bautista hit a game winning homer and threw his bat about 50 feet in the air.  So yesterday Texas finally got around to beaning him for it, which should've made everything even (unwritten rules and whatnot of baseball).  But then Bautista goes and tries to end Odor's season, and Odor wasn't having it.  He also got a good lick in on Josh Donaldson as well.  I personally thought it was great.  I lost all respect for Toronto, their team, and their fans last year when they were crying about a (proper) call and starting raining down full beer cans on the field, one of which hit a baby.

1 hour ago, bullets13 said:

it all started in the playoffs last year when Bautista hit a game winning homer and threw his bat about 50 feet in the air.  So yesterday Texas finally got around to beaning him for it, which should've made everything even (unwritten rules and whatnot of baseball).  But then Bautista goes and tries to end Odor's season, and Odor wasn't having it.  He also got a good lick in on Josh Donaldson as well.  I personally thought it was great.  I lost all respect for Toronto, their team, and their fans last year when they were crying about a (proper) call and starting raining down full beer cans on the field, one of which hit a baby.

Thanks. I knew there had to be more to it than that slide. The slide was perfectly legal. Bad blood is for children. No place for fighting in "professional" sports. This is not what I like to see when watching sports. We have just about lowered ourselves to European soccer. That's the bottom of the barrel.

2 minutes ago, GCMPats said:

Can't stand that kid. Arrogant POC.

Has been since he was 14. 

To me, he is all that is wrong with the sport of baseball and why I have not watched an MLB game in 2 years.

Gotcha although I will respectfully disagree. but everyone has an opinion.

2 minutes ago, baddog said:

Thanks. I knew there had to be more to it than that slide. The slide was perfectly legal. Bad blood is for children. No place for fighting in "professional" sports. This is not what I like to see when watching sports. We have just about lowered ourselves to European soccer. That's the bottom of the barrel.

No place in baseball for that kind of slide when you were already out. 

Odor started something with Conger when he was the Astros catcher last year. Odor is trash and one of the reasons I hate Ranger baseball. 

It all comes down to last year when Bautista hammered that ball and bat flipped his way into the bat flip hall of fame. Passion and excitement. He just won a ball game for them. I'd bat flip too, no doubt. If the Rangers are still mad about that pegging him and then punching him is not the answer. I believe the peg led to the hard slide which led to the trash master, Odor, throwing a punch. 

Ranger baseball....SMH

3 hours ago, GCMinTheFuture said:

No place in baseball for that kind of slide when you were already out. 

Not trying to be an ahole, but isn't that the norm......take out the 2nd baseman/SS to avert the DP, as long as you are within reach of the bag?

59 minutes ago, baddog said:

Not trying to be an ahole, but isn't that the norm......take out the 2nd baseman/SS to avert the DP, as long as you are within reach of the bag?

Pretty sure he was over the bag.  Pretty sure they added a rule to prevent those types of slides.  Dont get me wrong, the slide was ok if you are good with what may be coming your way next. If you are not then dont slide that way.

10 hours ago, baddog said:

That slide isn't legal anymore, and starting a slide when you're already at the bag into an opponent's leg in an attempt to hurt him would've caused problems even before they changed the slide rules this season.  He can't even claim he was trying to break up the double play, because that slide turns it into an automatic double play now 

6 hours ago, Sports10 said:

I can't stand Odor. He always seems to find himself in these situations. So he is the common denominator here. However, it was one hell of a punch. But in Bautista's defense, things like this happen all the time and no punches are thrown. So I kind of see it as a cheap shot. 

Odor is my new favorite player.  Its worth noting he's still only 22, and has been in the league since he was 20, so he's definitely got some maturing to do, but Bautista is an arrogant prick, and got what was coming.  On a side note, there's no way Bautista wasn't on PEDa during his career.  There's no way he went from consistently hitting 15 homers a year to consistently hitting 45-50 in the span of one off season at the age of 29 without cheating.  That type of power surge in a player at that age is almost unprecedented.  The only clear example I can think of is Barry Bonds...

10 hours ago, HasBeen36 said:

Odor started something with Conger when he was the Astros catcher last year. Odor is trash and one of the reasons I hate Ranger baseball. 

It all comes down to last year when Bautista hammered that ball and bat flipped his way into the bat flip hall of fame. Passion and excitement. He just won a ball game for them. I'd bat flip too, no doubt. If the Rangers are still mad about that pegging him and then punching him is not the answer. I believe the peg led to the hard slide which led to the trash master, Odor, throwing a punch. 

Ranger baseball....SMH

The peg, whether you agree with it or not, is part of the "unwritten rules of baseball."  Exactly 100% of the teams in MLB would've have beaned him for that bat flip.  When he got hit, that should've ended it.  To me the slide, which was a clear and deliberate attempt to hurt Odor, was by far the worst part of all of this.  bautista didn't slide until he was at the bag, then tried to plant two cleats into Odor's stationary plant leg.  If Odor hadn't done a fantastic job of avoiding him he'd have a shattered leg or a torn acl.  I don't blame him at all for reacting the way he did.  And Bautista squared up to him and balled his fists, so I don't know why anyone is so upset about him taking one to the face.  

10 hours ago, bullets13 said:

Odor is my new favorite player.  Its worth noting he's still only 22, and has been in the league since he was 20, so he's definitely got some maturing to do, but Bautista is an arrogant prick, and got what was coming.  On a side note, there's no way Bautista wasn't on PEDa during his career.  There's no way he went from consistently hitting 15 homers a year to consistently hitting 45-50 in the span of one off season at the age of 29 without cheating.  That type of power surge in a player at that age is almost unprecedented.  The only clear example I can think of is Barry Bonds...

I'm not much of a Bautista fan either, but still think Odor is a punk. Always looking for confrontation, but to each their own. I preferred a guy like Biggio, a guy who let his play do the talking. Not many of those guys left though. Also I never saw Bautista's fist clinched. He may not have had his fingers dangling, but his hand was not ready to throw a punch. Like I said when you constantly find yourself in these situations, you are probably the problem.

11 hours ago, bullets13 said:

The peg, whether you agree with it or not, is part of the "unwritten rules of baseball."  Exactly 100% of the teams in MLB would've have beaned him for that bat flip.  When he got hit, that should've ended it.  To me the slide, which was a clear and deliberate attempt to hurt Odor, was by far the worst part of all of this.  bautista didn't slide until he was at the bag, then tried to plant two cleats into Odor's stationary plant leg.  If Odor hadn't done a fantastic job of avoiding him he'd have a shattered leg or a torn acl.  I don't blame him at all for reacting the way he did.  And Bautista squared up to him and balled his fists, so I don't know why anyone is so upset about him taking one to the face.  

Hard slides to avoid double plays is also an unwritten rule of baseball, but is now deemed illegal and will result in an out. A 98 MPH fastball from Convict Bush to the ribs can also cause an injury.

By no means arguing the punch. Odor clocked him

10 hours ago, HasBeen36 said:

Saw this on twitter with the caption "I hate when people slide into me" and knew I had to share it. 

Image-1.png

I'm not arguing that odor isn't guilty of using hard slides to break up double plays, but I will argue that the intent was different. He's sliding hard to break up a double play in this picture, which was legal at the time, and he's not cleats up a foot over the bag in this picture either. I would argue that Bautista clearly intended to injure Odor, as the slide was more dangerous, and also because Bautista knew his slide would result in an automatic out, meaning the only thing he had to gain on the play was possibly hurting Odor.

Here's what it boils down to; bautista made a mistake with his bat flip.  Everyone in the sporting world knew there would be some type of retaliation by the RANGERS.  This is baseball.  toronto expected it, the fans of both teams expected it, baseball fans in general expected it.  The problem is not that Matt Bush hit bautista.  The problem is the bat flip.  bautista would have never been hit if not for his actions. There is a huge difference in celebrating an achievement and "showing up" another team or opponent.  bautista "showed up" the RANGERS with his actions.  He paid for it with a ball to the ribs.  Very few people, outside of toronto, had a problem with this.  Everyone knew it was coming.  If the punk, bautista leaves it at that, the situation is over.  But no, he now thinks he needs to do something in return.  He goes in late and hard at 2nd in attempt to take out Odor.  He didn't slide that way to break up a double play.  He had intent to take out Odor.  Again, his mistake.  He got up and got whipped by Odor.  Very simple life lesson, do not "show up" your opponent.  If you do, be ready to pay the price!