Silsbee vs. Yates Predictions

I can remember a time when a 4A school was undefeated, 31 - 0 and ranked No. 1 going into the second round after a first round bye.  That team lost in the first round to a team that was not ranked.  The year was 1996 and the upset victim was.....  you guessed it, Silsbee.  I was there, some of you perhaps were there.  It was the most shocking upset I've ever seen in person at any level.  Silsbee had good height, excellent speed.  They were not a likely candidate for an upset because they won on defense.  They didn't have to depend on outscoring their opponents.  The defense was withering, and not just pressing full court but intense half court defense that disrupted anybody's offense.  Of course they could score, they could light it up.  Thaydeus Holden went on to become No. 10 all time at Tennessee in 3 pointers.  They could play above the rim when necessary.  Heck, the one white kid on the team could score impressive dunks in game conditions.

It was somebody up north, Jacksonville I think.  They were a good team but not even good enough to win their district.  They weren't going to Austin, they were just happy to be there and if you're going out why not go out valiantly to the best, right?  Well that's not how it worked out.  Everything they threw up went in.  And the longer it went the worse it got.  It was like the Absent Minded Professor sneaked in and ironed flubber on their shoes.  They could do no wrong.  They couldn't believe it themselves when it was over.  I've seen teams celebrate after winning the State Championship in the Drum but I've never seen a high school team celebrate a win with such pure shocked elation.  Some of our guys were in tears of course but SO WERE SOME OF THEIRS!!! Just out of pure surprise and perfect joy.  It was like the last scene on the barricade in Les Miserables.  I think I saw long dead players from that school's distant past, back from the grave in spectral form, waving flags and singing the school song in upper deck.  We stumbled out of the arena there in Lufkin sort of in a daze.  I can remember through the nightmarish fog mumbling incoherently about it being God's will or something like that. 

The next year Silsbee made it to the semifinals with a team that wasn't as good.

It forever burned the "any given night" truism into my consciousness.  Does Silsbee have a chance?  Oh yea, at this level everybody has a chance against everybody.  My prediction?  I predict a 25 point win for Yates but I'm hoping for a surprise.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="cleoshep" post="1379387" timestamp="1361837839"]
I can remember a time when a 4A school was undefeated, 31 - 1 and ranked No. 1 going into the second round after a first round bye.  That team lost in the first round to a team that was not ranked.  The year was 1999 and the upset victim was.....  you guessed it, Silsbee.  I was there, some of you perhaps were there.  It was the most shocking upset I've ever seen in person at any level.  Silsbee had good height, excellent speed.  They were not a likely candidate for an upset because they won on defense.  They didn't have to depend on outscoring their opponents.  The defense was withering, and not just pressing full court but intense half court defense that disrupted anybody's offense.  Of course they could score, they could light it up.  Thaydeus Holden went on to become No. 10 all time at Tennessee in 3 pointers.  They could play above the rim when necessary.  Heck, the one white kid on the team could score impressive dunks in game conditions.

It was somebody up north, Jacksonville I think.  They were a good team but not even good enough to win their district.  They weren't going to Austin, they were just happy to be there and if you're going out why not go out valiantly to the best, right?  Well that's not how it worked out.  Everything they threw up went in.  And the longer it went the worse it got.  It was like the Absent Minded Professor sneaked in and ironed flubber on their shoes.  They could do no wrong.  They couldn't believe it themselves when it was over.  I've seen teams celebrate after winning the State Championship in the Drum but I've never seen a high school team celebrate a win with such pure shocked elation.  Some of our guys were in tears of course but SO WERE SOME OF THEIRS!!! Just out of pure surprise and perfect joy.  It was like the last scene on the barricade in Les Miserables.  I think I saw long dead players from that school's distant past, back from the grave in spectral form, waving flags and singing the school song in upper deck.  We stumbled out of the arena there in Lufkin sort of in a daze.  I can remember through the nightmarish fog mumbling incoherently about it being God's will or something like that. 

The next year Silsbee made it to the semifinals with a team that wasn't as good.

It forever burned the "any given night" truism into my consciousness.  Does Silsbee have a chance?  Oh yea, at this level everybody has a chance against everybody.  My prediction?  I predict a 25 point win for Yates but I'm hoping for a surprise.
[/quote]

First of all, the year was 1996, not '99. Secondly the team that beat Silsbee was Tyler Chapel Hill, not Jacksonville. Third, Silsbee did not go to the state semifinals the next year.

Silsbee lost to CH 66-62 and then Cleveland knocked off CH 80-63 in the next round.

BTW, Silsbee was undefeated at 31-0 entering that game, not "undefeated" at 31-1. ;)

Guest BmtTopFlight2017
[quote name="Big girl" post="1379362" timestamp="1361832984"]
Those kids are in big trouble if they think they can do those same things in college against players that are 7'0 tall. They really need to work on their outside shots; as well as, fundamental basketball. At 6'7 you have to be able to shoot from the perimeter. :o
[/quote]

Why are u so hell bent on tearing these KIDS down...your an adult c'mon now...quit being sour..these KIDS from YATES can play and they do well in college...I thought the whole purpose was to be great in the classroom as well as on the court...smh...it seems these kids are doing just that..Yates sends at least half their team to D1 colleges every season if im not mistaken..so for u to say they can't survive in college is far fetched ...u act as if they won't get better with better coaching and training...just stop the hating...geeshhhh

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1379391" timestamp="1361838304"]

First of all, the year was 1996, not '99. Secondly the team that beat Silsbee was Tyler Chapel Hill, not Jacksonville. Third, Silsbee did not go to the state semifinals the next year.

Silsbee lost to CH 66-62 and then Cleveland knocked off CH 80-63 in the next round.

BTW, Silsbee was undefeated at 31-0 entering that game, not "undefeated" at 31-1. ;)
[/quote]

96?  I thought it was later than that.  And thanks for the team name, now I'll have it.  As you can guess it's one of my favorite stories to bore grandchildren with.  You must have been there and if you were then like me you know about fate.  Yates, may be a strong favorite but when fate takes a hand.....

Out of curiosity far did the Tigers get the next year?  Wasn't Holden back?

[quote name="cleoshep" post="1379424" timestamp="1361843742"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=109731.msg1379391#msg1379391 date=1361838304]

[/quote]

96?  I thought it was later than that.  And thanks for the team name, now I'll have it.  As you can guess it's one of my favorite stories to bore grandchildren with.  You must have been there and if you were then like me you know about fate.  Yates, may be a strong favorite but when fate takes a hand.....

[/quote]

Actually, after double checking it was '97 not '96. Silsbee lost to Cleveland the next year in quarterfinals 60-59.

I am sure that some of their grades are not reported accurately. I bet some of the teachers get an "incentive" for passing them. They are unacceptable academically according to the state. What a great school. I am sure that alot of players made it to D1 schools and did well, but I am specifically referring to the kids that I saw play against HJ. That 6'7 kid is going to be in alot of trouble if he doesnt work on his short and long range jumper. He will not be a post player in college. :)

Yates is a school where the drop out rate is higher than most 3A districts combined. The kids usually make it to 9th and they just leave for some reason. They were close to being closed down back in 2008. There have been many good people who graduated from Yates, but over the last 7 years they have hit rock bottom academically!

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1379357" timestamp="1361832296"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=109731.msg1379349#msg1379349 date=1361831142]
[quote author=DXTR link=topic=109731.msg1379348#msg1379348 date=1361831072]
Silsbee.  198

Yates.  196
[/quote]

Maybe a bit high but I would not be surprised if both teams hit the century mark. ;)
[/quote]
Yeah right... ::)..If they did the final score would be Yates 131, Silsbee 101...STILL 30!  ;D ;D 8)
[/quote] ;)

[quote name="no-look" post="1379451" timestamp="1361847032"]
The big question is there any good eating places in the neighborhood?
[/quote] Sure Clyde Drexler's family has a barbecue business nearby. Subway, French's Chicken, downtown is about[color=red][size=14pt] 2 miles .[/size][/color]......................

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1379477" timestamp="1361853415"]
[quote author=no-look link=topic=109731.msg1379451#msg1379451 date=1361847032]
[/quote] Sure Clyde Drexler's family has a barbecue business nearby. Subway, French's Chicken, downtown is about[color=red][size=14pt] 2 miles .[/size][/color]......................
[/quote]
Drexler's BBQ is out of business....THANK GOD! That place was AWFUL! YUK! :-[.....Big Girl is really hating on Yates, isn't she?  8)

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1379479" timestamp="1361853551"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=109731.msg1379477#msg1379477 date=1361853415]
[quote author=no-look link=topic=109731.msg1379451#msg1379451 date=1361847032]
[/quote]
Drexler's BBQ is out of business....THANK GOD! That place was AWFUL! YUK! :-[.....Big Girl is really hating on Yates, isn't she?  8)
[/quote]Big time!!! Didn't realize they had gone out of business.

What is unacceptable is the way you speak of these kids & their community. I have sat back & listened to enough negative bull from you "girl" and whoever else signs off on these negative comments. Inner city kids win a ball game, now character, grades & everything else is brought to the carpet. Even critical of the graduates whom have gone on to college to better themselves. If no one else tells you I will. BACK OFF!! These kids & their community deserve better. I was taught if you're not part of the solution, then you're part of the problem. I grew up on the west side of Port Arthur and attended Abraham Lincoln H S & we whipped up on people. All that was ever said was how nothing good comes out of our school. We were ridiculed often. My question is,how many times do these kids have to turn the other cheek? Walk away be the better man when they are being confronted by adults many times. This must stop & will stop because winning will do the fighting for these kids & their community. One thing I know these kids have is pride & heart, 2 key elements the kids in the "hood" possess. Put that together with talent & you crybaby fans & wimpy "I'm taking my ball & going home" ball players don't stand a chance. Even if it was the best 4 out of 7. I hope & pray you mean spirited people on here refrain from any further negative posts, because Yates players & fans may read this & the game result may get out of hand quickly.
In just a few words LOL.
Mighty Bumblebees

PS
By the way the Bees will be in the building @ state tournament '88 Champs being honored. Be there next year also, back to back Champs
FYI.    Lions players & fans, if anyone understands, The Mighty Bumblebees do.

Guest BmtTopFlight2017
JUST THOUGHT I'D POST THIS FOR THE HATERS:

Jack Yates High School gets plenty of recognition because of its nationally-ranked boys basketball program. But academically, Yates has a unique hidden secret, and it’s a one-of-a-kind communication program.

“The magnet program, school of communications here at Jack Yates, was formed a little over 30 years ago,” said Tracey Lewis, an associate principal, who also works closely with students in the magnet school of communication.
The communication program focuses on four areas: journalism, photography, television and radio production.
“Your 11th and 12th grade year, that’s your set course,” said Reandrea Sprigds, a Yates senior, who’s interested in pursuing a career as a TV reporter/anchor. “You choose which one you like the most. But your 9th and 10th grade year, you’re taking all of the classes.”
“Some of the graduates from this program have gone on and had a major impact in the world of television and radio,” said Lewis. “Roland Martin (a CNN contributor based in Chicago) for instance.”
Just how unique is the communication program at Yates?
“We are the only communication magnet program in the Houston Independent School District,” said Lewis.
The Houston Rockets donated an anchor set to give students a taste of what show business is all about.
“Our kids do television shows on a weekly basis, where they invite other classes to come in and observe,” said Lewis.
“This is an asset to me,” Sprigds said. “I can use this going to college.”
High school students doing internships … that’s normal thanks to the magnet school of communication program.

Guest BmtTopFlight2017
OHHH AND HERES MORE:
DICKIE V. ;)
BLUEDOVE  ;)
Debbie Allen - actress
Johnny Bailey - former NFL football player for the Chicago Bears, Arizona Cardinals, and St. Louis Rams.
Jewel Brown - jazz singer with Louis Armstrong in the 1960s.
Garnet Coleman - State representative for District 147 in Houston.
Kevin Cooper - Director of Public Relations, Houston Texans
Santana Dotson - former NFL football player and member of the 1996 Super Bowl Champion (XXXI) Green Bay Packers.
Conrad O. Johnson - jazz saxophonist and leader of the Conrad Johnson Orchestra.
Monica V. Lamb - former member of the Houston Comets.
Dexter Manley - former NFL football player and member of the 1982 Super Bowl Champion [XVII] Washington Redskins.
Roland S. Martin - journalist
Big Moe (Kenneth Moore) - rapper
Phylicia Rashad - actress, known for her role as Clair Huxtable on The Cosby Show
John Roper - Former NFL football Player for the Chicago Bears, Dallas Cowboys, and Philadelphia Eagles.
Robyn Troup (singer)
Rickie Winslow - former NBA basketball player
Michael Young - former NBA player for the Phoenix Suns, Philadelphia 76ers, and Los Angeles Clippers; former Houston Cougars men's basketball player and member of Phi Slama Jama; director of basketball operations and performance enhancement at the University of Houston

just to name a few

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1379425" timestamp="1361844160"]
[quote author=cleoshep link=topic=109731.msg1379424#msg1379424 date=1361843742]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=109731.msg1379391#msg1379391 date=1361838304]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Actually, after double checking it was '97 not '96. Silsbee lost to Cleveland the next year in quarterfinals 60-59.
[/quote]96 was the year Lincoln almost got by Silsbee again but that time in the 1st round if i remember, Immanuel McElroy was a Soph....97 was suppose to be Lincoln versus Silsbee yet again but Wheatley beat Lincoln that year i wanna say regional semi or regional final

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder