Sealy star Ricky Seals-Jones verbally commits to Texas A&M

Octfeb

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this is going to be a fire-starter but I think it needs to be said. This is what a good African-American coach can do for a program, especially in the south. Kevin Sumlin has now flipped Thomas Johnson, Seals-Jones, and just picked up Justin Manning who I think is the best d-tackle in the state. Before Sumlin got there TAMU was very unlikely to get the top players in the state, especially if they were African-American. Very hard for those kids to blend in College Station and feel like it's a second home unlike Austin or the DFW area. He has also gotten Kameron Miles to decommit from Tennessee. Eldridge Massington has not yet committed to TAMU but is looking like a likely target for Sumlin, Massington is a USC decommit. If A&M can continue to keep winning they're going to blow Texas out of the water in recruiting which has been the Horns lifeblood for a decade, it seems like unless you were an All-American in high school UT wouldn't offer you in the past. A&M is fitting right along in the SEC though, I believe UT didn't offer Manning yet because he was a non-qualifier last time I checked.

[quote name="cougar14" post="1352934" timestamp="1355159657"]
I know this is going to be a fire-starter but I think it needs to be said. This is what a good African-American coach can do for a program, especially in the south. Kevin Sumlin has now flipped Thomas Johnson, Seals-Jones, and just picked up Justin Manning who I think is the best d-tackle in the state. Before Sumlin got there TAMU was very unlikely to get the top players in the state, especially if they were African-American. Very hard for those kids to blend in College Station and feel like it's a second home unlike Austin or the DFW area. He has also gotten Kameron Miles to decommit from Tennessee. Eldridge Massington has not yet committed to TAMU but is looking like a likely target for Sumlin, Massington is a USC decommit. If A&M can continue to keep winning they're going to blow Texas out of the water in recruiting which has been the Horns lifeblood for a decade, it seems like unless you were an All-American in high school UT wouldn't offer you in the past. A&M is fitting right along in the SEC though, I believe UT didn't offer Manning yet because he was a non-qualifier last time I checked.
[/quote]
I think its more about Johnny Manziel and the SEC, but Sumlin was the right choice for A&M at this moment in History. The other coach recruited Johnny Football, Sumlin was smart to start him.

[quote name="jenks" post="1352937" timestamp="1355160144"]
[quote author=cougar14 link=topic=107332.msg1352934#msg1352934 date=1355159657]
[/quote]
I think its more about Johnny Manziel and the SEC, but Sumlin was the right choice for A&M at this moment in History. The other coach recruited Johnny Football, Sumlin was smart to start him.
[/quote]I agree, but Sumlin made Manziel. If he was this good he would have started over Tannehill last year. If Sherman was still there they would be 6-6 right now just like they were last year in the Big 12. There's a reason Manziel was playing receiver on the scout team last year, he barely won the job a few days before the season started. He was also the # 40 qb in his class and A&M was his best offer. When you start giving Sumlin guys near the top of their class like Mack Brown has been getting at Texas I think he's going to turn into Steve Spurrier.

[quote name="cougar14" post="1352958" timestamp="1355162129"]
[quote author=jenks link=topic=107332.msg1352937#msg1352937 date=1355160144]
[quote author=cougar14 link=topic=107332.msg1352934#msg1352934 date=1355159657]
[/quote]
[/quote]I agree, but Sumlin made Manziel. If he was this good he would have started over Tannehill last year. If Sherman was still there they would be 6-6 right now just like they were last year in the Big 12. There's a reason Manziel was playing receiver on the scout team last year, he barely won the job a few days before the season started. He was also the # 40 qb in his class and A&M was his best offer. When you start giving Sumlin guys near the top of their class like Mack Brown has been getting at Texas I think he's going to turn into Steve Spurrier.
[/quote]
If Texas is smart they need to fire Brown and get A&M offensive coordiantor Kliff Kingsbury before Texas Tech hires him.

Johnny football and alot of the other stars were recruited before Sumlin got there. Aggies have excelled with his offense because Johnny is that good. All these recruits coming in are doing so because of the excitement of playing in the SEC and the wins the AGGIES posted up. Just wait till  they get the wrecking crew in line.

[quote name="phunter308" post="1353019" timestamp="1355168172"]
Johnny football and alot of the other stars were recruited before Sumlin got there. Aggies have excelled with his offense because Johnny is that good. All these recruits coming in are doing so because of the excitement of playing in the SEC and the wins the AGGIES posted up. Just wait till  they get the wrecking crew in line.
[/quote]Is Johnny that good or is Sumlin? Keenum's passing numbers dwarfs Manziel's. If A&M went 6-6 in the SEC Sumlin wouldn't be flipping all these guys. Besides Joekel and Matthews there weren't any stars on A&M's roster before he got there. Only kid besides those two A&M had committed that was a high school blue chipper is Trey Williams, Evans was a basketball player. It's clear Sumlin is a better coach than Sherman was but the real reason he's going to start dominating the recruiting in Texas is because the African-American parents in the state are excited to have a school to send their kids to that has an African-American head coach. Same reason the minorities vote in a landslide for Obama, doesn't make it right but that's just how it is. 

[quote name="cougar14" post="1353031" timestamp="1355169268"]
[quote author=phunter308 link=topic=107332.msg1353019#msg1353019 date=1355168172]
[/quote]Is Johnny that good or is Sumlin? Keenum's passing numbers dwarfs Manziel's. If A&M went 6-6 in the SEC Sumlin wouldn't be flipping all these guys. Besides Joekel and Matthews there weren't any stars on A&M's roster before he got there. Only kid besides those two A&M had committed that was a high school blue chipper is Trey Williams, Evans was a basketball player. It's clear Sumlin is a better coach than Sherman was but the real reason he's going to start dominating the recruiting in Texas is because the African-American parents in the state are excited to have a school to send their kids to that has an African-American head coach. Same reason the minorities vote in a landslide for Obama, doesn't make it right but that's just how it is.
[/quote]

Yeah it is a good thing that Saban is African American too don't you think!

[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="1353053" timestamp="1355171699"]
[quote author=cougar14 link=topic=107332.msg1353031#msg1353031 date=1355169268]
[quote author=phunter308 link=topic=107332.msg1353019#msg1353019 date=1355168172]
[/quote]

[/quote] ;D

[quote name="#62jjohnson" post="1353017" timestamp="1355167663"]
Don't forget about that young man Kenny hill from out of southlake Carroll who was Gatorade player of the year he has committed to texas a&m he should be a good one on the next level .
[/quote]

yea, but do you think Kenny Hill will go in and sit behind Johnny Football? I heard K state and Missouri is telling him he can come in and play earlier. I heard Kohl Stewart will go pro in baseball

[quote name="SummerCreek it is!" post="1353059" timestamp="1355172065"]
[quote author=#62jjohnson link=topic=107332.msg1353017#msg1353017 date=1355167663]
Don't forget about that young man Kenny hill from out of southlake Carroll who was Gatorade player of the year he has committed to texas a&m he should be a good one on the next level .
[/quote]

yea, but do you think Kenny Hill will go in and sit behind Johnny Football? I heard K state and Missouri is telling him he can come in and play earlier. I heard Kohl Stewart will go pro in baseball
[/quote] +1

[/quote]

[b]Yeah it is a good thing that Saban is African American too don't you think![/b][/quote]It's the state school in Alabama, just like Texas is. Gene Stallings recruited the south just like Saban does and won a national title. Most of those kids were coming anyway. You give a great coach great talent and that's what he does. A run of the mill coach can also win with great talent, Larry Coker and Lane Kiffin for example. When those coaches don't get the best talent anymore they get exposed like Mack Brown is, on the other hand you take Sumlin from UH and they're a joke. Look at the commitment dates UT players have on profile, most are before April or May of their junior year's with a large portion of them being in February or April. UT has been a dream for the majorty of these kids. Why all of a sudden can A&M get some of the best players in the state, the move to the SEC? No! It's because when Kevin Sumlin talks to an inner city kid's Mom like Justin Manning he tells her, "Look, I'm from South Alabama and was once like your son. I understand what he's going through/will go through. Send him to me and I'll take care of him." It's all about getting recruits, that's why Tubberville just left Lubbock for Cinci.

[quote name="cougar14" post="1353119" timestamp="1355177215"]
[quote author=NorthoftheBorder link=topic=107332.msg1353053#msg1353053 date=1355171699]
[/quote]

[b]Yeah it is a good thing that Saban is African American too don't you think![/b][/quote]It's the state school in Alabama, just like Texas is. Gene Stallings recruited the south just like Saban does and won a national title. Most of those kids were coming anyway. You give a great coach great talent and that's what he does. A run of the mill coach can also win with great talent, Larry Coker and Lane Kiffin for example. When those coaches don't get the best talent anymore they get exposed like Mack Brown is, on the other hand you take Sumlin from UH and they're a joke. Look at the commitment dates UT players have on profile, most are before April or May of their junior year's with a large portion of them being in February or April. UT has been a dream for the majorty of these kids. Why all of a sudden can A&M get some of the best players in the state, the move to the SEC? No! It's because when Kevin Sumlin talks to an inner city kid's Mom like Justin Manning he tells her, "Look, I'm from South Alabama and was once like your son. I understand what he's going through/will go through. Send him to me and I'll take care of him." It's all about getting recruits, that's why Tubberville just left Lubbock for Cinci.
[/quote]
I am on record in a post on here somewhere that the 2 biggest change agents for A&M success is Sumlin and Manziel.  I don't discount your proposition about Sumlin's playing the racial issue to his success.  But if "EVERYTHING" in our culture is about race, then we are doomed to an ever widening schism of racial turmoil and chaos that will be "one" of the factors in the downfall of this country!

[/quote][b]Is Johnny that good or is Sumlin? Keenum's passing numbers dwarfs Manziel's.[/b] If A&M went 6-6 in the SEC Sumlin wouldn't be flipping all these guys. Besides Joekel and Matthews there weren't any stars on A&M's roster before he got there. Only kid besides those two A&M had committed that was a high school blue chipper is Trey Williams, Evans was a basketball player. It's clear Sumlin is a better coach than Sherman was but the real reason he's going to start dominating the recruiting in Texas is because the African-American parents in the state are excited to have a school to send their kids to that has an African-American head coach. Same reason the minorities vote in a landslide for Obama, doesn't make it right but that's just how it is.
[/quote]

A&M led the SEC in rushing and passing this season, while Keenum just threw it all over the field, so it's hard to just compare passing numbers.  A lot of JFF's big plays came with him scrambling and creating behind his great offensive line.  Sumlin and Kingsbury figured out the best way to use Johnny and he excelled.  I don't think it would have worked under Sherman's pro style offense. 

[quote name="cougar14" post="1352934" timestamp="1355159657"]
[/quote]

I agree with what you are saying, but it was also the perfect storm with the new conference.  Top players in Texas want to play against the best players in the country in the SEC.  That was a big selling point for Sumlin and I believe he relates better to the young players of today.  Early in the year when RS-J and Kohl Stewart played on National TV, Sumlin landed his maroon helicopter on the field right next to the football field where the players were stretching.  Both teams stopped warming up and watched Sumlin get out of the chopper and were awestruck.  Stupid stuff like that means a lot to young kids and that was the first time I really started to believe Sumlin would do great things at A&M. 

A&M was already close talent wise last season.  They were in and should have won every game except OU, but they choked at the end of games.  Talent wise they hung with everyone they played. A&M just needed a young, entergetic coaching staff to push them over the edge and Sumlin has brought that. 

take johnny off the field and they wouldnt have played 500 reguardless who the coach was j-football won 4 or 5 games by himself  i agree with mack sumlin has brought excitement but not to the level of johnny football i dont see any sumlin shirts on the market yet lol. using race cards will never win championships trust me just divide the team.

[quote name="silly365" post="1353199" timestamp="1355186581"]
take johnny off the field and they wouldnt have played 500 reguardless who the coach was j-football won 4 or 5 games by himself  i agree with mack sumlin has brought excitement but not to the level of johnny football i dont see any sumlin shirts on the market yet lol. using race cards will never win championships trust me just divide the team.
[/quote]

Yes you are, 365 - but change your screen to VERY SILLY365.  It's a better fit. ::)

[/quote]

[/quote]

He was a Coon-Ars once, that's pretty close in my book......... ;D ;D ;D ;D 

[/quote]

Sorry coog.... i'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one. It has nothing to do with having an african american coach. Its just the demeanor of Coach Sumlin as an individual. He has always been about taking care of business, and he does a great job of motivating the players to give their best efforts every night. He doesnt pressure his players into feeling like the HAVE to win every night like BAMA & LSU... Also he has great supporting staff. His decisions as a head coach are what has giving a&m it's best opportunity to excell, it was his decision to start Manziel, and his decision to hand the offensive coordinator the reigns. Him being african american is just a plus...  ;)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder