Southeast Texas Football

Last night should've shed some light on several people in this area. Schools from this area can't compete with schools from other parts of the state. Schools down here are not willing to do what it takes to win. It takes money. Why do you think certain schools are ''elite'' every year. Carthage, Tatum, Mart...the list goes on. Find out how much money they pay their coaches. The facilities they play and practice in. The number of coaches they have. Its no secret to the success. Last night the prides of SE Texas got embarrassed by schools who simply do what it takes to win. Navasota had 19 varsity football coaches..WOS had 9. Compare the money spent on facilities. Silsbee was recently beaten like a dog by Carthage. Carthage just passed a bond...strictly for football...on the biggest jumbotron in the state high school or college. They pay their A.D. over 130k. That's a school willing to do whatever it takes to win. Face it..if you don't do that families/kids will not move to your towns, top coaches will not work at your school, and you have no chance at winning football state championships.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="knows2much" post="1352177" timestamp="1355013176"]
Last night should've shed some light on several people in this area. Schools from this area can't compete with schools from other parts of the state. Schools down here are not willing to do what it takes to win. It takes money. Why do you think certain schools are ''elite'' every year. Carthage, Tatum, Mart...the list goes on. Find out how much money they pay their coaches. The facilities they play and practice in. The number of coaches they have. Its no secret to the success. Last night the prides of SE Texas got embarrassed by schools who simply do what it takes to win. Navasota had 19 varsity football coaches..WOS had 9. Compare the money spent on facilities. Silsbee was recently beaten like a dog by Carthage. Carthage just passed a bond...strictly for football...on the biggest jumbotron in the state high school or college. They pay their A.D. over 130k. That's a school willing to do whatever it takes to win. Face it..if you don't do that families/kids will not move to your towns, top coaches will not work at your school, and you have no chance at winning football state championships.
[/quote]What a crock! Jumbotrons dont win football games. 2 teams from the golden triangle got beat last night and I hate it for those teams but they were both 1 of 8 teams left in the state and thats very impresive at any level and Newton is still in and I think they will win it, and they dont have any $$$$.

You mentioned Mart, I am from that area and know for a fact they are NOT a high paying district. They have lots of athletes which may make the less pay worth it--I don't know, you need to ask Rusty Nail. I believe we live in a what have you done for me NOW, and you are replicating that with your statement. Until you can chart it and do a thorough analysis, you CANNOT rely on your emotions overcoming good sense.

[quote name="knows2much" post="1352177" timestamp="1355013176"]
[/quote]

I don't know where you are from or what you are smoking, but that was probably the dumbest remark I have ever read.

To start with lets look at Newton. I was born there, and live there. The town supports the team and the coaches. They are in the hunt for a championship just as often as schools that pay out the butt or have state of the art facilities. Furthermore, people like you are why a growing number of the population dislike football programs. A lot of those state of the art facilities and paying a coach a 38,000 stipend for coaching football makes people mad. It is wasteful and unrealistic for most places.  The teams that continually win are usually the ones that the coaches are allowed to do their job and are not constantly bombarded by people trying to do their job for them.  Another thing is that winning is a tradition, once it is established the kids believe in the program and it makes the coach's job a lot easier.

Ok let's assume we have the same exact players. I have a turf field and indoor practice facility. You don't. No weather of any kind affects me. You have to spend 1 afternoon a week painting and preparing the game field because the maintenance crew just doesn't care..but you want it done right. I have 19 coaches. You have 10. I have no limit on what I can pay them, which means I'll get better coaches than you. You get to pay your coaches a 2000 dollar stipend, and 3000 above state base for teaching. 6 of your 10 coaches have to teach all day, accept for athletics and conference. 8 of my 19 coaches will co-teach or be inclusion for less than half the day. They'll have freshmen athletics, high school athletics, and a coordinator prep period that I've made up, along with a conference period. Last spring you had 3 coaches lost to basketball, 3 lost to baseball, 1 to powerlifting, 1 to golf, and 2 to track. Uh oh...1 of your coaches had 2 spring sports. Last spring I had 10 coaches strictly committed to offseason strength training, and spring football. Not to mention the 70 yard. long, state of the art weight room and indoor track. Now let's play against each other...with the same players...and see what happens.  Oh..and if you think high schools aren't recruiting, then you're really blinded. Which reminds me. Kids going to my school..or yours?

Well if .. And i doubt the validity.. navasota has 19 varsity coaches i think TEA should intervene and replace the entire school board. This is a high school. That is a tremendous amount of money that is not being spent in the classroom. It is not win at all cost. Rediculous! The states largest jumbotron??!! Why?? Again how much more could be provided in the classroom. Towns and communities that that approve of spend educational money in such ways are totally misguided in what should be proviided to these young men. We have schools in which we have extrcurricular activities such as football. We should not have football programs where on the side we do a little educationally. Personally i would like to see these programs go 0 - 10. This is from someone that has coached varsity sports for over 20 years.

Coldspring doesn't have 19 high school coaches. They have about 9 that are involved in the day to day coaching of grades 9-12. The other coaches (about 4) who are usually up top in press box are junior high football coaches who are really only involved with the high school team on game nights charting plays, keeping stats, etc.

I'm sure alot of schools probably use the same all hands on deck approach on game days (as well as 2 a days & playoffs)

Coldspring probably has some of the worst facilities in the setx area-to the point that it's almost embarrassing. However, Barbay hasn't allowed that to be an excuse. It would definitely be interesting to see what the staff could do with a decent weight room for example. Heard there was a bond proposal coming up that would really upgrade stadium & facilities and put CS on par with other schools in the area but I haven't heard anything about it recently.

Talent comes and goes in cycles. A lot depends on the perfect storm of timing. Good coaching at the time you have good players. I honestly think the triangle is maybe in a cycle of producing football players that may be down from our heyday. I know Orange's population has dramatically lowered since I was in high school in the late 70's. What goes around eventually comes back around. I don't think that the highest paid coaches are always the best and the best coach at a high paying job isn't going to win if he doesn't have the hosses.

What the heck. I agree, ten minutes for nothing. What an absolute crazy assessment of what it takes to win. It takes kids that are willing to work, parents that stand behind the coaches and expect their kids to strive to be better. It takes a tradition of expecting to win by working hard and having high goals set to achieve. It takes a fan base that supports all the kids and coaches and acknowledges the achievements of the current team by comparing them to past winners. I believe I remember Coach Barbay saying one time something along the lines of "Our kids don't care if they play in a cow pasture. They just want to win". Who can argue with that? Newton does not have many dollars, but they do have a pretty efficient system to produce quality athletes. Purple pride forever! Go Eagles! :)

I'm not saying that it can't or won't be done. Even the Yankees lose. Newton without a doubt has an exceptional team. I really want for them to represent SETX with a state championship. But aside from that...when's the last time we've had a championship from this area. Even the year Coldsprings made it...they got the hell beat out of them by Carthage. Making it 2,3,4 rounds isn't always a great success when you get trashed when you get there. Take a road trip to some of the schools I'm talking about. Go to Navasota and ask yourself if WOS had that much of a chance. Every year we have all these ''great'' teams that we are so sure will make deep, deep runs. And they don't. WOS, Silsbee, Nederland, East Chambers, Newton,... I'm just saying..our ''great'' teams eventually get beat and usually beat bad. Newton seems to be an exception this year so far. We do not have a single school in this area going ''all out'' on athletics. We will always be second fiddle until that happens.

[quote name="NewtonNation" post="1352400" timestamp="1355045125"]
[quote author=77 link=topic=107288.msg1352257#msg1352257 date=1355020880]
knows2much must be a turf salesman! :o
[/quote]

+1    ;D

10 minutes of my life I will never get back from reading this thread.
[/quote]

;D ;D  +1 for you too.

If SETXsports ever creates a "Top 10 Most Rediculous Threads" this will be right at the top!

Sometimes the successful passing of a school bond is enhanced by an individual within that community making a large monetary donation to "get the ball rolling".  I'm sure if [color=red]knows2little [/color] buys his school a new stadium, then the taxpayers would come up with a new weight room.

New facilities are nice, but they do not "make" better athletes.

All I have to say is in comparison Setx will never hold a candle to all the rest when it comes to recruiting atheletes and you can take that to the bank.Highland Park is 1 of the wealthiest school dists but has stroke w/the UIL and always manage to just stay under the 5a cutoff numbers.Metroplex just keeps adding schools/shifting atheletes.Example of another FBISD=fort bend isd coaches have agreed to agree to sign off on athletes=any player living in Fort Bend ISD can play here and transfer there because they are inside the dist composed of like 10 teams.Just doesn't seem fair and is not fair.Follow the money trail is now the norm

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder