Southeast Texas Football

The other factor in the Golden Triangle that has not been brought up has been the effect that Hurricanes Rita and Ike has had in this area. Specifically the population. The population has declined since the two hurricanes and so has the talent. After the hurricanes people started heading west towards Houston and north to East Texas and the Metroplex. I think the Golden Triange will be able get teams into the 3rd, 4th and an occasional semi-final and a rare title game. I think Newton will always be a threat in 2A. I think we will have trouble getting over the hump in 5A-3A. Money and facilities are not the only factors. I think we do pretty well with our resources.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is different with Newton? Newton keeps being singled out as an exception to all these other reasons. Why? What makes them different? What does Newton have that others don't that trumps the problems being discussed? Shouldn't other programs be able to study why and emulate the program in ways to produce the same type result? Far as I know there is no Voodoo involved. I don't see dead chicken carcasses or blood scrawled words on the facilities. There has to be a reason that Newton has been able to produce consistently year in and year out and other programs do not. It's not money, that's for sure.

[quote name="Titletown2" post="1353970" timestamp="1355330884"]
The other factor in the Golden Triangle that has not been brought up has been the effect that Hurricanes Rita and Ike has had in this area. Specifically the population. The population has declined since the two hurricanes and so has the talent. After the hurricanes people started heading west towards Houston and north to East Texas and the Metroplex. I think the Golden Triange will be able get teams into the 3rd, 4th and an occasional semi-final and a rare title game. I think Newton will always be a threat in 2A. I think we will have trouble getting over the hump in 5A-3A. Money and facilities are not the only factors. I think we do pretty well with our resources.
[/quote]
I agree with your assessment of the likely depth of the playoff runs for the 3A thru 5A teams from Southeast Texas and spot on about Newton,  seems like the Eagles are up there year in and year out.

[quote name="knows2much" post="1352285" timestamp="1355024216"]
I was at WOS game last night. Coaching comparison was 19 to 9.

Coldsprings also has 19 high school football coaches.
[/quote]

I have no idea who was on the sideline, I was not there. However, the sch :Pol website list 5 coaches in the football program at Navasota.  Here is the link:  http://nhs.navasotaisd.org/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=156876&type=d

[quote name="ChampionEagles" post="1354004" timestamp="1355337060"]
What is different with Newton? Newton keeps being singled out as an exception to all these other reasons. Why? What makes them different? What does Newton have that others don't that trumps the problems being discussed? Shouldn't other programs be able to study why and emulate the program in ways to produce the same type result? Far as I know there is no Voodoo involved. I don't see dead chicken carcasses or blood scrawled words on the facilities. There has to be a reason that Newton has been able to produce consistently year in and year out and other programs do not. It's not money, that's for sure.
[/quote]

Newton has 3A talent that plays in 2A for one thing. They have an established program and tradition that didn't change for 36 years under Coach Barbay. W. T. was under Barbay long enough to continue on without missing a beat, just like Coach T at WOS. Consistancey and continuatey at both these programs.

[quote name="Titletown2" post="1354367" timestamp="1355415402"]
[quote author=ChampionEagles link=topic=107288.msg1354004#msg1354004 date=1355337060]
[/quote]

Newton has 3A talent that plays in 2A for one thing. They have an established program and tradition that didn't change for 36 years under Coach Barbay. W. T. was under Barbay long enough to continue on without missing a beat, just like Coach T at WOS. Consistancey and continuatey at both these programs.
[/quote]

Then why don't more schools attempt to emulate these programs? Nederland has now had their coach and program for many years and are having some success. Do people understand how difficult it is to win a state title? It took Coach Barbay 24 years to get his first title at Newton as head coach. Most programs will not stay with a coach that long. Thank goodness Newton did.

[quote name="ChampionEagles" post="1354371" timestamp="1355415742"]
[quote author=Titletown2 link=topic=107288.msg1354367#msg1354367 date=1355415402]
[quote author=ChampionEagles link=topic=107288.msg1354004#msg1354004 date=1355337060]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Then why don't more schools attempt to emulate these programs? Nederland has now had their coach and program for many years and are having some success. Do people understand how difficult it is to win a state title?[b] It took Coach Barbay 24 years to get his first title at Newton as head coach. Most programs will not stay with a coach that long.[/b] Thank goodness Newton did.
[/quote]I know money and facilities are the reason people think we don't win championships down here but I believe it's coaching and systems. North Shore may have the most talent in the state with some of the nicest facilities in the area, all that equals one title and David Aymond still has a job. Jimmy Dickey kept his job at Crosby for years because of the talent he fell into, never mind the continous exits to La Marque. I know some will say it was talent but I'll beg to differ. It's not a coincedence some of those coaches can go to Pearland and have success. My better half went to Dallas Skyline which is one of the most dominant programs in the state. The team plays in a garbage stadium that seats about 1000 more people than the schools total enrollment. Bunch of inner city kids from nothing in South Dallas but yet produce All-Americans and make yearly runs deep into the state playoffs. Commerce High School won two 3a titles with kids from conditions I wouldn't wish on my enemies. Euless Trinity wins titles with kids from not much better circumstances. The determining factors in both of those teams title runs are Steve Lienweaver. The school that just took out Crosby, Manor, has some of the worse socio-economic numbers I have ever seen and they're one game away from playing for a title. They have an excellent coach though, just like Skyline and Desoto. There's a lot of non-affluent places around here, especially in The Triangle so we make money excuses for losses but it's coaching x enrollment divided by participation that makes winners, not a bunch of money. Look at BH, well funded little town and just now got their first playoff win this year. People need to stop looking past the white elephant in the room.

Newton made a great run at state, But once again how many teams from east texas are in the title game. This area used to be the most highly recruited area for college and professional atheletes. What has happened. I believe the athletes are still here, see to many in the professional ranks. What is the problem? As one poster noted earlier he would like to see certain teams fail. Why? Sadly that is the attitude of many highschool coaches. Is this the type of coach you want on your field. If you do what everyone else does you get what everyone else gets.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder