Navasota Vs. Jasper

[quote name="Jasper95" post="1337741" timestamp="1353413551"]
[quote author=JB94 link=topic=106509.msg1337728#msg1337728 date=1353401647]
[quote author=Bulldog92 link=topic=106509.msg1337727#msg1337727 date=1353400496]
[quote author=JB94 link=topic=106509.msg1337660#msg1337660 date=1353383493]
Our defense has really improved this year. But, our weakness is still in the secondary. So, Navasota will be successful if we are unable to get pressure on the quarterback. On the offensive side, Navasota can stop our offense if they can stop the run. Our passing game is average and totally feeds off our ability to run. We'll have to play a near perfect game. My prediction is a Navasota win via blow-out OR a very close Jasper win. Go Dogs!
[/quote]
Good analysis. More often than not, athleticism and size win games in high school. If Jasper is going to win, it will be because of coaching and execution. It's gotta show up early, too. We're not built for comebacks.
[/quote]

Yep, Jasper vs. Burnet in 2002 comes to mind. Jasper was the overwhelming favorite because we were hands down more athletic and had D-1 level size all over the field. But, we were totally out-coached and out-executed in that game early on. By time we caught on, Burnet was up 21 points and we never recovered. That has to be the most heartbreaking loss in Jasper history - we were the favorite to face Everman in state that year after dropping down from 4A.
[/quote]Also guys that next year we played burnet and they were the favorite and would almost had that game till the last minutes of that game. That game plan work pretty good working the play clock down to the last sec. keeping the ball out of there hands.
[/quote]

The 2003 game was the one I thought about that compares with this one. We'll have to do a lot of that same thing (ball control) and disguise what we're doing on defense. They have an all-state caliber QB, so it's gonna be a challenge to force mistakes.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seen Navasota first hand early on in the season against Coldspring and they were very good.  I imagine they are much improved and better now, but back then I felt like Coldspring could have beat them if they eliminate some of the mistakes.  I don't feel like Navasota can run the ball as effectively as passing.  In fact the only real they had was on a 4th down that went for a touchdown due to poor tackling.  Now passing the ball I have not seen a team in 3A do much better than Navasota.  They have a good scheme.  They hit u short over and over and then when u try to cheat up they kill u deep.  Baker made one of the best passes I have seen at any level I have seen in awhile against Coldspring in the corner of the endzone from like 50 yds out.  He is very accurate.  Defensively they are not very big up front, but very quick, athletic and physical.  They get off blocks and get to the ball quite well.  I have not seen Jasper play yet.  Wish I had, but this is not to say Jasper cannot win this.  Like I said before I imagine the Barbay brothers have been talking about this one.  I'm sure they would much rather face eachother in the next round than Coldspring have to battle Navasota again.  Not saying Coldspring could beat Jasper either or it would be easier than Navasota, but it is very difficult to play the same team twice in one year.  Much like this weeks matchup with LaMarque again. 

[quote name="bulldogs1990" post="1337376" timestamp="1353363979"]
You will see a different defense for jasper three down lineman and three lb and 5 defensive backs linebackers will be putting some receivers a hit if they want forget if they do a slant it will be a good game
[/quote]

Navasota faced this same defense last week against China Spring.  Baker seems to like to get out of the pocket fast.  Against a 3 man rush, he should be able to just set back and pick a wr to pass to.  I am not sure if China Spring was causing him to get out of the pocket with pressure or if he just likes to be on the move.  The key is to game is how physical Jasper db's are with the Navasota wr's.  If they can get some pressure and knock the wr's off of their timing routes they may be able to slow Navasota down.  I just don't see Jasper being able to stop them for 4 quarters.  The Navasota offense is a pretty impressive show watch.  Good luck to both teams. 

Navasota 55
Jasper 21

[quote name="Jasper95" post="1337929" timestamp="1353431589"]
All I hear is how good Nav. Offense is what about there D can they stop Jasper's running game. Lets Go Dogs!!! Going to bwe a good game
[/quote]

Navasota completely shut out their district. No district opponent scored on them.

Their defense is good, just like the offense.

IMO jasper should juice the clock and knock the WR off there passing routs and make the QB run  this is what happned to west orange stark years back when thay played  the texans  our QB was a sitting duck. i do belive jasper can stay close smart coaching and 100% of hard playing by jasper who knows what would happen i wish both teams the best

[quote name="JB94" post="1337728" timestamp="1353401647"]
[quote author=Bulldog92 link=topic=106509.msg1337727#msg1337727 date=1353400496]
[quote author=JB94 link=topic=106509.msg1337660#msg1337660 date=1353383493]
Our defense has really improved this year. But, our weakness is still in the secondary. So, Navasota will be successful if we are unable to get pressure on the quarterback. On the offensive side, Navasota can stop our offense if they can stop the run. Our passing game is average and totally feeds off our ability to run. We'll have to play a near perfect game. My prediction is a Navasota win via blow-out OR a very close Jasper win. Go Dogs!
[/quote]
Good analysis. More often than not, athleticism and size win games in high school. If Jasper is going to win, it will be because of coaching and execution. It's gotta show up early, too. We're not built for comebacks.
[/quote]

Yep, Jasper vs. Burnet in 2002 comes to mind. Jasper was the overwhelming favorite because we were hands down more athletic and had D-1 level size all over the field. But, we were totally out-coached and out-executed in that game early on. By time we caught on, Burnet was up 21 points and we never recovered. That has to be the most heartbreaking loss in Jasper history - we were the favorite to face Everman in state that year after dropping down from 4A.
[/quote]
That combined with the fact that you did not "out athlete" Stephen McGee and Jordan Shipley.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1337932" timestamp="1353431795"]
[quote author=Jasper95 link=topic=106509.msg1337929#msg1337929 date=1353431589]
All I hear is how good Nav. Offense is what about there D can they stop Jasper's running game. Lets Go Dogs!!! Going to bwe a good game
[/quote]

Navasota completely shut out their district. [b]No district opponent scored on them.[/b]
[/quote]

That is what I was wondering.  Would you mind posting their schedule and scores?

[quote name="#1stangfan" post="1338043" timestamp="1353440879"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=106509.msg1337932#msg1337932 date=1353431795]
[quote author=Jasper95 link=topic=106509.msg1337929#msg1337929 date=1353431589]
[/quote]

Navasota completely shut out their district. [b]No district opponent scored on them.[/b]
[/quote]

That is what I was wondering.  Would you mind posting their schedule and scores?
[/quote]

Jasper Bulldogs (9-2)

Jasper 49 Liberty 13
Jasper 55 Orangefield 14
Jasper 52 Kirbyville 13
WO-S 17 Jasper 7
Jasper 21 Bridge City 7
Jasper 68 Cohen Prep 0
Jasper 45 Diboll 0
Carthage 49 Jasper 31
Jasper 65 Huntington 14
Jasper 27 Center 21
Jasper 58 Groesbeck 28

The Navasota Rattlers (11-0)

Navasota 42 Willis 0
Navasota 36 Coldspring 8
Navasota 49 Houston Sterling 6
Navasota 45 Lexington 13
Navasota 41 Fairfield 7
Navasota 57 Austin McCallum 9
Navasota 38 Madisonville 0
Navasota 43 Rockdale 0
Navasota 58 Caldwell 0
Navasota 52 Taylor 0
Navasota 62 China Spring 16

[quote name="skipper" post="1338242" timestamp="1353457860"]
if you were the jasper coach what are some of the things you might try to keep navasota off balance i know we got alot of very smart people on this so lets here it just for fun i feel sure the coach knows all about navasota
[/quote]
I would keep those DL swarming along with a constant barrage of the LBs. I know that is a risk but it favors Jasper's skill set. I would be aprehensive about letting the QB get comfortable. Hopefully the coaches have identified some tendencies. I have not seen Navasota but Jasper has be able to match up with them from a speed perspective.

jasper has speed . i watched a game yesterday of two teams from calf #1 and #8 in the state of calf.this one team would line up in a hurry and ran  up the middle with a 240 pound DL he was eating there lunch  to end the story this team never used a DL to run the ball the #1 team was so tired by the 2nd qt thay just layed on the ground  the  #1 team got beat 41 -21 no huddle from the other team the #1 team got smart midway in the 2nd qt  every play thay had  kids playing hurt  relly not hurt just tired

The key to this game for Jasper is to apply pressure to the QB to get him out of his comfort zone! This would allow mistakes to be made and hopefully the secondary can capitalized on it. If Jasper play time control without mistake, this would keep the Navasota explosive offense off the field. The type of defense I would run would be a 4-2-5 that would protect against the pass or a 5-1-5 defense which would free up a linebacker to a defensive end to put pressure on the QB and the sweep and allow the one linebacker to protect the weak side plus the run up the middle. I feel if Jasper plays mistake free they could pull the upset. ;)

[quote name="Rattler99" post="1338495" timestamp="1353510545"]
[quote author=Eazy link=topic=106509.msg1338485#msg1338485 date=1353509708]
I was thinking about going to this game, but not if it's going to be 57-3.
[/quote]

I doubt that this game will be 57-3...  Until it's actually played, I'm thinking that it will be much closer.
[/quote]
True.  You just never know.  We think we know, but even at the NFL level, strange things happen.  Example, Texans and Jags.  Yes, it could turn out to be a Navasota rout.  I can see Navasota scoring 57 points, but I cannot see Jasper being held to 3 points.  On the other hand, if some of Jasper's younger players step up and play over their heads, particularly on defense it could be a very close game.  At this point in the season, stats and records don't mean much if one or both teams have been steadily improving.  But certainly, Navasota is a heavy favorite based upon their record.  And they deserve to be the favorite until someone proves otherwise.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin