Longest HR You've seen In High School?

In 1995 Jeff Barker of E.C. hit a homerun at Deweyville that was still rising as it went over that huge tree that used to be in centerfield. He hit alot of tape measure shots during his playing days. Another one was in Bi-district in Aldine. Cleared the left field power alley like a missle.

1) Matt Bryant for his fourth consecutive of the day in WOS Tourney.

2) David Fry in the Dome - Into the hole in center field; also, I think it was the Texas High School All Star game

3) Ricky Sellheimer - Brenham at BC in 1979 - over the houses in right center; lost that game but paid them back with two in Brenham!

4) Mine in the Certa Tourney in 1980 against TJ in West End Park; in a gale force wind of course!

the longest homerun ive seen was last year playoffs with wos and lufkin hudson @ wos when the leadoff batter cant remember his name hit one over the tracks and into the pasture behind the track

That was Brad Becker that hit that HR off of Brandon Belt.

• 2 weeks later...

Back around 1978, I was a Sophomore, pitching for LCM. We were playing PNG at PNG's park. David Frye hit a homerun off of me that landed in the Tennis Courts behind Left Center field. All I could do was turn and smile !! What a shot, and what a welcome to Varsity!

• 1 month later...

David Frye's shot in the Astrodome has to be it. It was in the all-star game but it wasn't centerfield. He hit it over the left center field wall on to the concourse behind the mezzanine seats. The scoreboard operator posted it at an estimated 475 ft. To do it in the place where homers die into flyballs was pretty impressive.

If you are ever near the U of H drive by the baseball park and see just how far away that McDonald's is from home plate , it will amaze you !!! You should have seen the looks of awe on peoples faces when Billy Ford hit that ball, the stadium went dead silent for awhile, people who were there still talk about . :shock:

In 1999 I saw a kid from Warren hit two mammoth shots, Josh Nichols. Both were tape measure flights including the stewardess serving drinks, an in-flight movie, and a meal. The first was at Anahuac. The ball cleared the light pole, I mean directly over it by 15-20 feet, at the 350 mark. It then cleared the little road that runs behind the field going to the softball field and the liittle league park and landed next to two little trees in the pasture across the road. The next came at Jasper in the playoffs later that year. This one cleared the softball field that sets behind Jasper's park on the fly. Some kids went to look for it but they never found it. It was fun to watch him hit. :D :shock:

I have to amend an earlier post. The longest homerun I have ever seen was hit by Craig James of Houston Stratford at Westend Park at old Stark High. He hit it to dead center field (about 425') and it went way over the oak tree, that was beyond the fence out there. Yes, the same Craig James that was part of the Pony Express backfield at SMU with Eric Dickerson.

Legend has it that back in the late 20's Babe Ruth Hit a ball out of that same park except that home plate was where the restrooms are now, and hit the ball so far it traveled across the street after clearing that tree and landed in Mrs. Stringers house. I have heard this tale since I played ball 50 yrs ago. Can anyone elaborate on this one ???

a little before my time, but rumor is a lot of major league teams barnstormed across the south for spring training. Supposedly some names were carved in the old backstop. When I played Pony and Colt ball there I saw some carvings in the backstop, but couldn't make out any names. They may have been playing the old Beaumont Exporters at various parks across the triangle.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder