deer season

TallinaBoyz

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that it will cost you twice as much feed with not nearly twice the results.

I can maybe see it by scattering corn with a spin feeder and then gravity feeding some protein. That way they come to the candy (the corn) and then eat the food (protein) that is better for their body and horns. I am not sure why you would gravity feed corn and then spin feed corn.

This is only my second year on a lease near Spurger and I was late starting this year, but I mowed with my tractor in a new area I wanted to try. I was mowing the middle to the last week in September. No feeder just one bag of corn on the ground. The Monday of opening weekend I shot a doe with my bow, so I guess it's like he said right place right time.

[quote name="olddadt49" post="1297501" timestamp="1350009767"]
This is only my second year on a lease near Spurger and I was late starting this year, but I mowed with my tractor in a new area I wanted to try. I was mowing the middle to the last week in September. No feeder just one bag of corn on the ground. The Monday of opening weekend I shot a doe with my bow, so I guess it's like he said right place right time.
[/quote]

I have seen that deer will find corn even where none was before. I think they can smell it from a long way if the wind is right. It is then a matter of being there at the right time and in a position that the deer will not be spooked by you as they come into an area.

i have bow hunted for years, and i set up 4 different stands, all set up for different wind directions. i test the wind and that lets me decide which stand to hunt. i never use cover scents, with the theory, that i am usually downwind of the deer trails, or trees that are dropping acorns. i usually just rely on acorns, with a little hand scattered corn. tusk boar cover  scent would be good if you have hogs in the area. order it from three rivers archery. put it on your boot soles only. this will keep the deer from smelling  your walk in trail. havent used it in years and still see deer pass my trail and not get spooked. the earlier you get to your stand , the more time your smell hets to dissapate. use dim lights walking in. hope this helps you out in some aspect.

my most productive for gun season has been the rainy  days. we all have cell phones and i pull up the radar when its raing. just before it stops raining i go get in my boxblind, and have seen more deer than usual after the rain quits. have killed some good ones this way. good luck to all this season!!!! and take a kid hunting with you!

[quote name="piratepride86" post="1299645" timestamp="1350152915"]
my most productive for gun season has been the rainy  days. we all have cell phones and i pull up the radar when its raing. just before it stops raining i go get in my boxblind, and have seen more deer than usual after the rain quits. have killed some good ones this way. good luck to all this season!!!![size=10pt][b] and take a kid hunting with you![/b][/size]
[/quote]

X2

I have used acorn rage and it always gets eaten.I also have used something called I think sweet beet. It has always not only been eaten, but also they try to dig it up and always has a lot of tracks around it. However it always seems to be the corn that brings them back to graze.

[quote name="Buccaneer#3" post="1304537" timestamp="1350679602"]
how do you post pics on here? sorry ha have never done it on this site before
[/quote]

Go to an image hosting site like photobucket, imageshack or flickr. Sign up for it for free, upload the photos and they post the URL here.

[quote name="tvc" post="1287674" timestamp="1349089321"]
[quote author=Buccaneer#3 link=topic=103777.msg1287608#msg1287608 date=1349059774]
.Anything on scent blockers (doe pee, sprays etc..) or calls (antlers rattling or buck call etc..)?
[/quote]

I have mixed feelings about the effectiveness of scent blockers or eliminators but I still use them. I think if the wind is wrong where you are setting up it won't matter and if the wind is right, it also won't matter. It makes me feel better to use them sometimes though.

As far as calls, they can work at the right time or they can be no help or they can hurt by scaring deer off. It all depends on location and timing. Deer seem to be curious and noises attract them many times. The real deal though is when the deer are in their rut.

I have called in deer a couple of times but not often. I saw a pretty good big buck walking about 40 from my bow stand. He was checking out the feeder that I was near but kept on walking into the thick brush, walking away from me. I grabbed one of those doe bleat cans and hit is a couple of times. I sat in the ladder stand about 18 feet up and thought that I wouldn't see him again. A few minutes later I heard a twig snap. I looked below me and that buck was directly under my stand. He managed to come back to the exact spot of the sound of a (probably what he thought was) hot doe.

Another time I was hunting in south Texas in a ground blind on a bow hunting day lease. I saw a buck walking away from me and rattles some horns a few times and then stopped. That buck stopped almost in his tracks and looked back my way. He then walked into the bush where I had a hard time seeing him but he made his way near my ground blind to see which bucks had invaded his territory.

Those two times, I was in the right place at the right time that those sounds draw the bucks back in. Maybe other times it worked and the deer just came from an area that I never saw them. I will never know but those two times it was obvious. I think there are times that if the deer are not in the right mood, the sounds might scare them away if they are too close when you use them.

I also think the buck to doe ratio might make a big difference also. If there are 6 does to every buck like on my east Texas lease for a good while (until we really thinned out the does) I believe the sounds of does in heat or fighting bucks is less effective. In other areas where it is close to 1 to 1 or 2 to 1, there is huge competition between bucks and the sound of fighting will bring them running.

It just depends...........
[/quote]

Good Stuff TVC enjoyed the reading .

My dad always told me to blend my scent with the area I was hunting if at all possible.  A few weeks before I start hunting I will cut a few pine, & oak limbs on my way out from checking things and combine that with my camo into a large trash bag.  I will also strip pine needles from a limb, twist them up and rub it on my camo to help.  Don't get too heavy with it or you may smell like one of the car freshener tree's! lol

I like setting up on the edge of a clear cut where there is high traffic.  We'll see how it works out for me this year.  I haven't been hunting yet due to soccer on Saturday's but in time i will get there.

[quote name="Buccaneer#3" post="1306362" timestamp="1350839321"]
Here yall go! this is only some of the twenty nine the camera took because they were the best ones (some were to blurry or to much sun etc..) sorry it took so long! had to figure out how to do it haha
[/quote]

If you put your cursor over the photo, it will show a drop down menu and you can post individual pictures by clicking on the IMG Code link.

Like this from your page.

[IMG]http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag80/Tallina95/SUNP0006.jpg[/img]

[quote name="tvc" post="1306436" timestamp="1350847164"]
[quote author=Buccaneer#3 link=topic=103777.msg1306362#msg1306362 date=1350839321]
Here yall go! this is only some of the twenty nine the camera took because they were the best ones (some were to blurry or to much sun etc..) sorry it took so long! had to figure out how to do it haha
[/quote]

[b]If you put your cursor over the photo, it will show a drop down menu and you can post individual pictures by clicking on the IMG Code link.[/b]Like this from your page.

[IMG]http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag80/Tallina95/SUNP0006.jpg[/img]

Finally!  I have never known how that works.  Thanks for posting.
[/quote]

[quote name="Buccaneer#3" post="1286515" timestamp="1348948719"]
I'm hunting in sour lake so I bet its a lot different than south or east or west texas
[/quote]Where do ya hunt in SL, we hunt the property North of Little Pine Island Bayou from Bevil Oaks to Pinewood, we get to it off Hiway 421, we do good yearly but are very selective on who we let hunt and what we shoot...

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Raza012
    Newest Member
    Raza012