deer season

TallinaBoyz

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to a stand tonight where we were getting some pictures, and my dad hunted my stand on a whim and shot a 3-point 3 minutes before you can't legally shoot.  I saw a spike, a doe, and a button buck, by the spike came out in the only place at that stand where I can see but not logistically get a shot off.  We're not seeing big bucks, but we have seen 7 or 8 since Saturday, which is exciting because the last couple of years it's been almost entirely does out here

[quote name="marshman" post="1321260" timestamp="1352170574"]
[quote author=BellBiz30 link=topic=103777.msg1320595#msg1320595 date=1352128471]
I hunt in Angelina county. Yesterday I tagged out for the year , got 2 spikes and 2 doe, which is good for me cause now hunting won't get in the way of the playoffs! ;D
[/quote]

Congrats!!! Plenty of deer meat!!!
[/quote]Thanks! And yes thats what I hunt for, not that I wouldn't shoot a big buck though. ;D

[quote name="bullets13" post="1321351" timestamp="1352175740"]
I went to a stand tonight where we were getting some pictures, and my dad hunted my stand on a whim and shot a 3-point 3 minutes before you can't legally shoot.  I saw a spike, a doe, and a button buck, by the spike came out in the only place at that stand where I can see but not logistically get a shot off.  We're not seeing big bucks, but we have seen 7 or 8 since Saturday, which is exciting because the last couple of years it's been almost entirely does out here
[/quote]It's been that way for us at our lease also, but my family now manages that lease and the deer are everywhere this year, I saw 3 8 pointers that were "iffy", I don't take chances like that cause the last time i shot one like that it was barely 13".

[quote name="rip2506" post="1322228" timestamp="1352252486"]
[quote author=marshman link=topic=103777.msg1320538#msg1320538 date=1352125112]
What Counties is everyone hunting? Just curious. I hunt in jasper and orange county.
[/quote]

Jasper just north of the city of Jasper .. friend killed a nice 8pt 15 1/4 inside and 158lbs on the hoof
[/quote]

I hunt in Marion County, just outside of Jefferson.

Hardin and Tyler, so I can get 2 forked horned +13 from each county, my sugestion on taking a deer with greater than 13" IF you have to think 'will he make the cut' DON'T shoot. I rattled up a 2 1/2y/o 4pt 3 different times at one loca yesterdy morn, when he would get out of site I would hit he horns litely and he would come back, he couldn't get around to wind me as I was sitting on the N side of Pine Island with a N wind blowing, one time he was inside 30yrds. At another loca I just didn't sit long enough, after a 20-30 min wait I stood up and took 2 steps and something blew at me n left with NO ID, mite have been the one but who knows....

I hunted yesterday afernoon, heard 2 deer come through some real thick stuff about 5:00 but never could see them it was so thick.  Then about 5:40 had a small deer maybe 60-70lbs slip out and start eating corn.  Was hoping to see something bigger before it was got too dark but that was it.  Buddy of mine saw a 4 and a 6 pt.

[quote name="puddin tane" post="1323924" timestamp="1352418706"]
I saw a  couple of cardinals and a butterfly on my p.o.s. clear cut lease in nac county

cut the krapola outta of it 3 weeks before season.............got more trees at crystal beach............
[/quote]

running into some of the same problem on my lease.  a lot of it burned during the wildfires last year, and the forestry service didn't come up with the survey until september.  so all of the cover that was burnt, is now pushed over and burned in piles.  fortunately we still have some woods here and there to hunt.

[quote]Anyone notice how the 1st weekend of gun season was warm and muggy? Forecast for this weekend is the same. That figures doesn't it. Nice cool mornings duringthe weekwhenI canthunt then by the weekend it warms up! We need to break that cycle!!![/quote]

Would rather be hot than cold typically! But last weekend was miserably hot in the long sleeves and pants hunting

[quote name="Buccaneer#3" post="1324040" timestamp="1352427896"]
[quote]Anyone notice how the 1st weekend of gun season was warm and muggy? Forecast for this weekend is the same. That figures doesn't it. Nice cool mornings duringthe weekwhenI canthunt then by the weekend it warms up! We need to break that cycle!!![/quote]

Would rather be hot than cold typically! But last weekend was miserably hot in the long sleeves and pants hunting
[/quote]i hunted in short sleeves, shorts and tennis shoes :)

[quote name="Buccaneer#3" post="1324040" timestamp="1352427896"]

[/quote]

And see I'm just the opposite. I'd much rather cold weather than hot anytime.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder