• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="PhatMack19" post="1362025" timestamp="1357705561"]
[quote author=westend1 link=topic=103777.msg1361843#msg1361843 date=1357681262]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAFcl3SamHc

What do you think?
[/quote]

That is pretty cool.  Any idea on the rules for that?  Can you use it during bow season?
[/quote]

It is too late to look up such stuff but I will take a stab at it.

It is obviously not a legal means of taking deer, mostly because it is not listed as a legal means. The taking of game animals and fish is strictly set out in the law on what is legal and exploding arrows isn't it.

The key phrase there is "game animals". Unprotected animals can usually be taken by any means, at any time and with no bag or possession limits.

Also note, that is a firearm under the definition of a firearm and subject to all laws in that area. Pretty cool though.

[quote name="westend1" post="1362112" timestamp="1357749489"]
Not sure how heavy that thing is, but I wouldn't mind popping an axis with one if I could get it to fly right.
[/quote]

A .357Mag has to be very heavy compared to a standard broadhead. I might "fly" okay but I'll bet it has a drop like a 30/30 at 300 yards.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name="Buccaneer#3" post="1283549" timestamp="1348780610"]
Any tips to get the big one this year? Share any tips or tricks ya got
[/quote]Hey, I know I'm posting this late in the conversation and way late for this deer season but you will have to cut me some slack cause I'm new to the site and I just couldnt resist the temptation to reply because secondly only to duck shootin', deer hunting is my specialty, Jack!!  Now on to the deer huntin' tips..............

First thing I tell every hunter that approaches me for advice on deer huntin' is, if you want to drastically improve your chances of killing a mature whitetail deer is to get out of the box blinds/stands and switch to either a lock on tree stand or climbing stand.  Sure it's not nearly as comfortable as the box but if you are serious about killing a big buck this is extremely advantageous.  Remember, big bucks did not become big and old by being stupid.  If you have to and just refuse to get up in a tree then drop the box stand hunting and purchase a pop up ground blind that can be hid amongst the brush.

Secondly, stand set-up is extremely important.  Once you locate a good hunting area (a place with tracks showing deer movement/frequency, rubs, scrapes) be sure to set your stand far enough away not to completely intrude on the traffic area but close enough for accurate/confident shots.  As I do, I would suggest placing TWO blinds/tree stands at each location to allow for wind direction.  If you are hunting around a pasture or edge of a clearing remeber to set up a blind in the staging area outside of the open area.  The staging area will be in the thicker woods between the bedding and feeding area and most good deer linger in the staging area until dark before coming into the open.

Third..  Baiting the deer:  Corn is probably the best non-native or non-wild growing bait.  Corn is a must if like many East Texas and Western LA properties almost all pine plantation, however if your property has any hardwood bottoms with preferably white oaks then you MUST be hunting the acorns.  Deer will walk right over the top of corn to get to acorns.  When feeding corn the deer (especially bucks) respond better to corn that is simply thrown or spread to the ground by hand NOT UNDER A FEEDER.  Remember the more undesturbed the area is the better the chances of seeing deer.  Now dont get me wrong, deer will absolutley come to feeders but the big old mature buck is leary of ANYTHING out of the ordinary and big metal feeders are NOT naturally growing structures in the deer woods.  Winter greenery is also a great attractant and in my opinion oats work better than any however rye grass and winter wheat work well. You do not have to plow or disc the ground to get a decent stand of greenery and lots of places are innaccessable to tractors so hand thrown seed will come up fairly well on top of the ground just before a rain.  Many hunters plant around the labor day weekend, THIS IS TOOO EARLY.  The deer eat the greenery when it is young and tender.  Have you ever had deer eating your greenery in November and then stop eating it in December??  They do this because the greenery gets to tall and tough.  Plant around the first of October to ensure that the leaves of your greenery stay tender throughout season.

THE MOST IMPORTANT TIP EVER for deer hunting................  DO NOT HUNT YOUR STAND IF THE WIND IS BLOWING FROM YOU TO YOUR HUNTING AREA!!!  If you do this you might as well be beating on a set of drums in your stand, the deer KNOW you are there, THEY SMELL YOU!!!  IT IS VERY IMPORTANT to have a stand set up for a north wind and one for a south wind.  If you hunt in the wrong wind you stand a good chance of ruining a good hunting area.  I have gone WEEKS without hunting my favorite stand because of the wind.  PLEASE PLEASE hunt the wind harder than you hunt deer I PROMISE it will payoff!

Something to try (cause it works).......  Doe decoy!!  If you have a good open area to hunt during the rut try using a doe decoy, bucks CANNOT resist this and will come out to "check" her.  Most deer get within 20 yards of a decoy before realizing something is amiss.

HEY, good huntin' Jack!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
[quote name="tvc" post="1419838" timestamp="1374137249"]
I usually bow hunt and I have been having trouble with my elbows. Age? Arthritis?

My deer hunting might be over unless I get a friend to let me rifle hunt for a cull or doe.
[/quote]

I feel your pain....

I have a partially torn rotator cuff.....my bow days maybe over as well

[quote name="5gallonbucket" post="1425575" timestamp="1376911633"]
[quote author=tvc link=topic=103777.msg1419838#msg1419838 date=1374137249]
I usually bow hunt and I have been having trouble with my elbows. Age? Arthritis?

My deer hunting might be over unless I get a friend to let me rifle hunt for a cull or doe.
[/quote]

I feel your pain....

[b]I have a partially torn rotator cuff[/b].....my bow days maybe over as well
[/quote]

That also. I have a lot of pain in that area when I move my right hand toward my lower back.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder