• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="skipper" post="1240563" timestamp="1343599398"]
this will tell me your age range lol ;D ;D
[/quote]

Circa:  Mid to late 1950's.  Gordon LeBoeuf (?) and Ronnie (?) LaBorde down at PN-G  Not certain about the spelling in the two instances.  They were a "Thing of Beauty" though.

[quote name="EagleFan01" post="1240573" timestamp="1343604978"]
Early 80's Newton had Anthony Byerly he was a stud. Also Todderick Pendland from Newton from 2003-2005
[/quote]

Saw Todderick in the Astrodome, man he was fast.  I recall a kid at Dayton some years ago (80's maybe) that was fast.  Think his last name was Peoples, but not sure.  Sam McGuffy was fun to watch, but way too full of himself. 

All in all, I have yet to see any who run like Jonathan Grey from Aledo. 

BH had one several years ago who could run from side-line to side-line faster than any kid you ever saw, but when it came to contact he was not in favor of that.  ;)   

[quote name="EagleFan01" post="1240573" timestamp="1343604978"]
Early 80's Newton had Anthony Byerly he was a stud. Also Todderick Pendland from Newton from 2003-2005
[/quote]
I watched Byerly in Newton (when I was in school there), Ford in Kirbyville... both were awesome to watch....waiting on them to break away for a long one. ;D

Sticking with just southeast Texas players (that is the title of the thread, but knew some would bring up other names), there have been many very good running backs from SETX, but not sure if you could call them great.

Wooster, Byerly, Rodney Thomas of Groveton and maybe a couple of others could be considered great running backs.

The best one game performance by a local running back that I have ever seen was by Silsbee's Jay McGuire in '93. He rushed for 464 yards and 6 TD's against Nederland. He had over 600 all-purpose yards that night. (rushing, receiving, returns).

[quote name="liltex" post="1240581" timestamp="1343609714"]
Gene Walker HD- Steve Woo Wooster BC- Jeff da jet Bergeron PNG ;)
[/quote]They say Gene Walker from Hull-Daisetta was special. I believe Rodney Thomas, Jamal Charles and Traylon Shead were the best I seen. I played with Sedric Broussard and nobody wanted to tackle that beast from H-D. 6'3 230 4.60 40. BEAST!

Reggie Davis- Jasper...but I also remember a guy on PNG's '89 team that ran all over Jasper in the playoffs in Pasadena. It seemed like he ran the ball every play of the fourth quarter to ice that game for them after they took a big lead early. We couldn't stop him for anything. Do you Indian fans remember him?

[quote name="Thegoldenboy" post="1240611" timestamp="1343619891"]
"lectric" Leeland McElroy. Him , Jamal Charles, Christine Michaels , Jerry LeVias and Joe Washington are up there if not the best to come out of this area.
[/quote]Leeland was on another level in his time. that guy had afterburners! I seen him reverse field versus Vidor i swear the kid made a 3 yard gain into a sportscenter highlight!

1973  Conroe Stadium -Regional round playoffs-#1 Conroe vs #2  Tyler  John Tyler              Earl Campbell 113yds and 1 td pass back to qb to win game 10-7 in the last minute of the game- I was 7 years old.
1989 Rodney Thomas-Groveton
1992 Ray Fisher- Coldspring
1994 Michael Bishop- Willis -QB that ran like RB
1995 Rock Cartright- Conroe
2010 Leroy Dobbins-Montgomery
Sorry SETX only
Ray Fisher
Rodney Thomas

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder