Orangefield AD gives up his post!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He will be missed on the football field.  He changed the attitude of the athletes.  They felt they could win every game they played.  In certain games in years past, OF was beat before they ever stepped on the field.  That wasn't the case under Huckabay. 

Hopes for a speedy recovery for Coach Huckabay.  The surgery he underwent brings about a painful recovery, even if it is uncomplicated.  It is a shame that he has to give up the coaching position due to potential complications from it as he has done a great job and made it known that he was very happy in Orangefield.

Many years ago when I was in management, road with my boss to regional meeting in Texas.

We both practiced on the way, reviewed our own sales figures and projections for future growth. He went in first, I waited in lobby for my turn.

I could tell something wasn't right as he finished and approached me as my turn was next. He said " I'm on disability and you're the new local manager"

It made for a uncomfortable ride home.

[quote name="adminbaberuth" post="1225013" timestamp="1337703421"]
Many years ago when I was in management, road with my boss to regional meeting in Texas.

We both practiced on the way, reviewed our own sales figures and projections for future growth. He went in first, I waited in lobby for my turn.

I could tell something wasn't right as he finished and approached me as my turn was next. He said " I'm on disability and you're the new local manager"

It made for a uncomfortable ride home.
[/quote]
;)

That's just depressing as hell, but I knew it would just be a matter of time before he left.  I'm sure there are board members jumping up and down with glee this year between Welch leaving and now Huckabee.

Good luck in all of your future endeavors, Coach Huck.  Many parents and students will miss you!!

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1225003" timestamp="1337702965"]
Hopes for a speedy recovery for Coach Huckabay.  The surgery he underwent brings about a painful recovery, even if it is uncomplicated.  It is a shame that he has to give up the coaching position due to potential complications from it as he has done a great job and made it known that he was very happy in Orangefield.
[/quote]
He did a great job puting kids were they would shine.

It is a sad time for the Bobcats...Orangefield kids have always been real tough, but talent was hardly ever on their side.  There were a few years back when they had a run of athletes at the same time when they had Jeff Granger with Toby Shultz and when Bradley Dale and Ronnie Peevey and even in the early 2000's with the Farias kid and Modica, but there were none of those with Coach Huck and he made the Bobcats competitive....he should NEVER have been in a position to beat WO-S or Silsbee or Jasper...but he had a chance to beat WO-S and Silsbee and he beat a very talented Jasper team two years in a row.  But the thing that will most be missed by the kids in Orangefield will be the opportunity to learn the game of LIFE.  He taught them how to win in life and that takes DISCIPLINE, WORK ETHIC and a COMMITMENT to being the BEST you can be.  The kids in Orangefield will be the ones that will suffer when he leaves...There are some good candidates out there but they will have a very difficult time replaceing Coach Huck.  My personal opinion is that he just got tired of fighting the obstacles of a mediocre mind set that has always been a problem in Orangefield...it is the parents of a few that will affect so many.  It is a sad day in the "Field". :-[

Coach Huck, you have done a great job with the Bobcats.  You will be missed around there! Whoever takes the job will have big shoes to fill.

Is there anyone on staff to take over or will they post the job?  If it is posted, who are the front runners?  I have my pick!  ;)

It will be posted, but I have heard that they are wanting to move quick.  There will probably be some in house candidates.  Not sure who will be on the hiring committee since they currently don't have a superintendent.  It will be interesting.  I am sure whoever they get will instill discipline, work ethic, and teach all those things that Coach Huck taught.  He isn't the only one out there that can teach that.  He did a great job at winning at football, but their numbers were way down.  They only had two teams the past two years.  Maybe some of those kids that walk to hallways will come out and play now.  Talking to some friends, I know that there is a new excitement among the staff and kids.  The next few weeks should be interesting.  Who do you guys think should get it.

Well, what the Anahuac search showed is that there are plenty of very qualified candidates who will probably apply for the job along with some very qualified OF assistants like Toby Latiolais who will also vie for the job.

Here is an article with a little more info about the injury he is suffering:

http://orangeleader.com/breakingnews/x1968167668/Huckabay-resigns-as-AD-of-Bobcats

According to the BE article, the job has been posted:

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/hs/article/Orangefield-head-football-coach-AD-Huckabay-3577387.php

Just off the top of my head, two that I think might apply would be Josh Smalley (BC OC) and Dwayne Dubois (Vidor OC).  Dubois would be a good fit since the offense he runs is very similar to what OF ran under Huck.  Latiolais would be a good fit too.

I really hope Coach Latiolais gets a fair shot at this position. I really think he would keep the current staff and continue to run the same type of offense that we've ran since Huck got here. What we've been able to do offensively the last 3 years has been pretty amazing, offense just fits our kids perfectly.

Not sure who else on staff would put in for it but we do have some qualified guys that would fit in nicely. Coach Smalley would be a great fit as well, he's coached here before and I believe him and his wife are building a house in Orangefield. Our offenses we're pretty stinking good when he was around!!! I also agree about the OC from Vidor. I believe he applied for the job when Huck got it. His offense would be very similiar and I believe he is well liked. Should be interesting!!!

it is just sad to me...i don't really believe he stepped away because of his knee.  I believed he stepped away because he knew the new supt. and several board members were waiting for him to slip up.  Coach has not missed a day since he has been here..he hurt his knee last year at practice..had to go to hospital and was back the next day.  I learned through athletics that It is not about me...I was taught that it was about the team..Several people within the district need to realize that it is not about them.  Because they were selfish..the whole team will be hurt...Thank you Coach for being a role model and for making a difference in our kids life.  I am sure the you will have plenty of people apply for the job, however I doubt that any of the coaches that complain from the stands would even have the courage to stand up and apply.  They would rather sit back and second guess a decision they dont have the courage to make...

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    monebi
    Newest Member
    monebi