LU assistant McGallion, Anahuac's Barbay among finalists for Jasper job

That a coach who was recently a finalist for a 5A head coaching position does not even get an interview speaks to the quality and depth of the applicant list for the position.  I am disappointed that Coach Foreman was not included in the mix but he will get his shot very soon.

Good luck to all of the applicants going forward!

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1208035" timestamp="1333993742"]
That a coach who was recently a finalist for a 5A head coaching position does not even get an interview speaks to the quality and depth of the applicant list for the position.  I am a disappointed that Coach Foreman was not included in the mix but he will get his shot very soon.

[/quote]
Very good point.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1208035" timestamp="1333993742"]
That a coach who was recently a finalist for a 5A head coaching position does not even get an interview speaks to the quality and depth of the applicant list for the position.  I am a disappointed that Coach Foreman was not included in the mix but he will get his shot very soon.

[/quote]Maybe he can come to ,Anahuac when Barbay leaves

Guest jacobmccandles
Please enlighten me on TF qualifications to be a hd ftbl/ATHLETIC Director.  I do not know him, but some on this board seem to think he is george halas, tom landry, chuck knoll, vince lombardie, all rolled into one.  How long has he coached and what? 

[quote name="jacobmccandles" post="1208072" timestamp="1334000167"]
Please enlighten me on TF qualifications to be a hd ftbl/ATHLETIC Director.  I do not know him, but some on this board seem to think he is george halas, tom landry, chuck knoll, vince lombardie, all rolled into one.  How long has he coached and what? 
[/quote]

I've not seen that characterization of Coach Foreman anywhere on this site.  But he is a good young coach, who has been an offensive assistant with a few schools (WO-S, Baytown Lee, Texas High) and he has experience dealing with programs outside of the football program.

I have notice that everytime someone tries to praise Coach Foreman that you wish to come on to make him out as a one of the Three Stooges.  Did he jilt your sister or something?

Guest jacobmccandles
WOS, I challenge you to find one post where I said anything negative about Coach Foreman.  I simply stated that, according to you and others on here, he is always seen as the best candidate for every open job.  Personal attacks, really.  You should be ashamed of yourself as a person and administrator.

I think Toby is a good young coach. However, he doesn't have the credentials that the 5 finalist have. I think he needs to be a head coach at the 2A or 1A school first and then the 5A and 4A jobs will come for him. I think with Jasper, that looks like a really strong pool of applicants to choose from. They all have HC and AD experience. Toby's time will come.

Either McGallion or Barbay would be a great hire. They would both bring strong leadership and experience to the situation. They would also both bring the discipline needed for the program. I might lean a little to McGallion if choosing.

[quote name="bulldogs1990" post="1208260" timestamp="1334022406"]
Im pulling for barbay but I hear its gonna be mcgallion. Everybody on the committee wants barbay but chris coleman said no we want McGallion. So take it for what thats worth came from a member of the committee.we shall see.
[/quote]

I hear just the opposite, its gonna be barbay...

anyone know what Mcgallion's record was at BH and is he kin to the Mcgallions of silsbee cause if he is we cant hire him in jasper ;D

It is his brother in Silsbee isnt it?

Not that that matters to me, and he was not in a good situation as far as competitive talent at Barbers Hill for the district he was in and the time he was there.

Barbay would be a fine hire as well. What is his record at Anahuac?

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1208668" timestamp="1334086594"]
[quote author=Jbdfan link=topic=98710.msg1208658#msg1208658 date=1334085653]
[/quote]

Barbay is 33-21 at Anahuac.
[/quote]
just as important, what is the talent level at Anahuac?  that is like an avg of 61% winning ratio.  that might be excellent for the talent level??  or terrible??  will a 61% winning record will cut it at Jasper?  it has not in the past. 

same question for McGallion and all other finalists about prior records and talent levels.  not saying these folks cannot succeed at Jasper; just saying they may have to step it up a notch over what they appear to have done in the past to survive there.

[quote name="j_dog" post="1208745" timestamp="1334093727"]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=98710.msg1208668#msg1208668 date=1334086594]
[quote author=Jbdfan link=topic=98710.msg1208658#msg1208658 date=1334085653]
[/quote]

Barbay is 33-21 at Anahuac.
[/quote]
just as important, what is the talent level at Anahuac?  that is like an avg of 61% winning ratio.  that might be excellent for the talent level??  or terrible??  will a 61% winning record will cut it at Jasper?  it has not in the past. 

same question for McGallion and all other finalists about prior records and talent levels.  not saying these folks cannot succeed at Jasper; just saying they may have to step it up a notch over what they appear to have done in the past to survive there.
[/quote]

I will search the others, but for Barbay, 8 of those 21 losses came in his first year at Anahuac (2007). So after that 1st year, he won nearly 70% of his games in a district that has been every bit as competitive, if not more, than 18-3A.  2007 and last year (when he lost a preseason all state running back to a knee injury in the 1st game) were the only 2 years the Panthers did not make the playoffs.  Coach Barbay certainly has the game to coach at Jasper.

Career records of the Jasper Finalists (Head Coaching Stops in Parenthesis)

Darrell Barbay (Hull-Daisetta, Anahuac): 84-55 (.604)
Craig McGallion (Woodville, Barbers Hill): 28-20-4 (.557)
Bo Robinson (Bangs, La Vernia): 106-52 (.671)
Joe Drennon (Texarkana Liberty-Eylau, Corsicana Mildred, Mineola): 69-58 (.543)
Robert Wilcox (Arp, Royse City, Huntsville, Round Rock McNeil, Kingsville King): 108-82 (.568)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder