Orangefield board votes to keep football coach

One more thought that came to my head that I thought I would share, and then you can take this and start a new thread if you like lol There is a particular elementary teacher that in my humble opinion is probably one of the best teachers in OF.  For years she has consistently gotten kids that are a little bit more difficult to deal with because she makes sure to include them and not stick them in a corner to discipline all year long because they don't fit a particular "mold." She looked at each of these kids as a blessing, and an opportunity to help, not as a hinderance or a disturbance to the rest of the class.  I remember one particular time she had like 4 kids that other teachers had labled as "issues."  Those are the type teachers that deserve as many accolades as we can give them.  I'll give you 2 guesses who I am talking about Solo and you can respond on a PM if you like :)

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="bobcat4life" post="1206712" timestamp="1333633618"]
Also, I received a text this morning from someone that was reading, and asking what is going on.  Let's be clear, I don't really dislike anyone, and am not saying what I am saying based on anything but what I feel is best for all of the kids in OF.  I don't care if it is Huck, or whoever.  I will be totally supportive of an AD, Coach, teacher, volunteer in the community or whatever as long as they are supportive of all of the kids.  I don't have an ax to grind with anyone. My main motivation for posting on here is to support friends that I have known for literally 40 years. They are the ones doing their thankless job for zero pay, it is because they have a vested interest in the community, and their loyalty doesn't lie with a paycheck or some personal glory. One of the board members graduated from HS with me.  I would challenge anyone to show me a person with a kinder heart than she has.  It is amazing to me that everyone jumps on a bandwagon to support a teacher or coach, and yet won't do the same thing with a board member.
[/quote]

I like you more and more every day…..Thanks for clearing all of that up for me….I know you only want what is best for all the kids – just as I do…..Was just having a hard time following you and solo…..Like I told you earlier, I am in the dark here and probably better off…..That board member you mentioned, I’d support her any day, she is about all the kids…..

The moral to the story about her, is why is it too much to ask to have an AD that accepts every kid.  Many of these young men and women are reaching out for a father figure at home because they don't have one.  As you well know I have a soft spot for kids, and all the kids, not just mine.  My heart goes out to some of them, and as you know I open my home up to them as well.  So I just don't see where it is a huge leap to ask people who are in the profession of motivating as many kids as possible, and to make a difference in their lives, to do it.  I know this, when coaches and teachers are mentors to these kids, maybe just maybe, a few of them will decide that they don't want to let down their coach and will stay away from some of these parties. So if I seem a little sensitive on this issue it is because there isn't a day that goes by that I don't look at a room where a young man stayed that is no longer with us.  Every single time I go to a basketball game I am reminded of the young man that would have been beside my son playing. So yes, I believe that is all of responsiblity to help these young people get to adulthood. And I believe that an AD has a unique opportunity to play a significant role in these kids lives.

[quote name="bobcat4life" post="1207352" timestamp="1333719076"]
The moral to the story about her, is why is it too much to ask to have an AD that accepts every kid.  Many of these young men and women are reaching out for a father figure at home because they don't have one.  As you well know I have a soft spot for kids, and all the kids, not just mine.  My heart goes out to some of them, and as you know I open my home up to them as well.  So I just don't see where it is a huge leap to ask people who are in the profession of motivating as many kids as possible, and to make a difference in their lives, to do it.  I know this, when coaches and teachers are mentors to these kids, maybe just maybe, a few of them will decide that they don't want to let down their coach and will stay away from some of these parties. So if I seem a little sensitive on this issue it is because there isn't a day that goes by that I don't look at a room where a young man stayed that is no longer with us.  Every single time I go to a basketball game I am reminded of the young man that would have been beside my son playing. So yes, I believe that is all of responsiblity to help these young people get to adulthood. And I believe that an AD has a unique opportunity to play a significant role in these kids lives.
[/quote]

I agree Because because my High school school coach was a father figure to a lot of young men. But some kids are just not reachable. Not saying that was the case here but even the ones that Coach Peveto mentored still went out and partied. That is what some kids do, except back when I was young parents did not throw parties at their house for kids. A coach can only do so much and a lot solely depends on the kid.

[quote name="Riding Solo" post="1207606" timestamp="1333804735"]
[quote author=bobcat4life link=topic=98194.msg1207352#msg1207352 date=1333719076]
[/quote]

I agree Because because my High school school coach was a father figure to a lot of young men. But some kids are just not reachable. Not saying that was the case here but even the ones that Coach Peveto mentored still went out and partied. That is what some kids do, except back when I was young parents did not throw parties at their house for kids. A coach can only do so much and a lot solely depends on the kid.
[/quote]
Thats a nice story.

[/quote]
Okay I told myself I wasn't going to get involved with this but your ignorance has gotten to me. If you truly believe that Coach Huck does not have compassion for every kid that is in his program then you truly have no idea what his program is all about. He gives EVERY single kid in his program everything he's got, no matter how talented, big, small, fast or strong they are. All he asks is that you do whats right and do your best. Some kids can't handle his discipline, and don't for one second think that Coach Huck gives up on those kids too quickly, he works and works and gives chance after chance in hope that those kids will see the light and make a change for the better. Athletics is a privilege, not a right. For those that will comply with Huck's ways and do whats right, and do their best, they have the privilege to have the experience of a lifetime.

[/quote]Sorry but you are wrong about Coach Huck.  I played for him in 90-93 at HJ.  I can remember him reaching out to a young man, who was shot 9 times in a drug deal gone bad in Anahuac.  Not only did he give the kid a second chance, but offered him a place to stay, AT HIS OWN HOUSE, when the kid needed to get off the streets.  All while he was married with 2 small children running around....SO don't give me any BS about Coach Huck not caring or tring to motivate his players.  You have a great coach... You would do much better as a community if you just trust and back the man... I can assure you, you will do better..

If you want the type of father figure that will allow his kids to run wild on the weekends, act up in class, or be disrespectful and be able to get away with it, your not going to get that from Coach Huck. What you will get is a man who holds every kid responsible for his actions. He is molding young men and instilling values in them that they may carry for the rest of their lives. He is more than a Coach.

[quote name="footballin" post="1208152" timestamp="1334009817"]
If you want the type of father figure that will allow his kids to run wild on the weekends, act up in class, or be disrespectful and be able to get away with it, your not going to get that from Coach Huck. What you will get is a man who holds every kid responsible for his actions. He is molding young men and instilling values in them that they may carry for the rest of their lives. He is more than a Coach.
[/quote]

I agree footballin.

If you took what I had to say as myself, or anyone for that matter want a coach that allows disrespectful, partying kids, then that is sad.  I was talking in general terms.  There is absolutely no way that any coach or teacher had any blame in what happened with the boys, could have happened to any kids.  I was merely making the point that coaches/teachers have a unique opportunity to influence kids, and the more that are in the program the better.  Before you get to talking about ignorant statements it would be wise to find out the true meaning of what is meant.  I think you will find that I said, I am supportive of Huck or any coach that reaches out to kids to support them in their endeavors.  I want to be supportive of ALL KIDS, no matter if they are playing football, basketball, or the kids that don't play sports at all and their thing is debate.

Did you know that the last time that we made playoffs in football, basketball and baseball ther was a common denominator?  They all had a separate class where they could work on skill developoment and off season lifting.  It absolutely killed the program I guess becasue since that time footbal has not made the playoff and the other sports have in spite of this.  the coach wasRandy Theriot.  BTW are the other coaches up just pieces of crap?  Since it appears that only one coach can cary the moral compass then lets just fire them all and let him run all of the programs including the girls.  If the compass is that good then we should use him for everything that we can get out of such a wise man.  I mean he was even able to get the kids to pull sleds the day after burying 3 of their classmates.  That is some great motivation, don't mind the fact that they are 17 years old.  Also, while I am at it, thank God it was a bye week too or else it would have gotten in the way as well.  I mean who doesn't want someone leading their program when they make a comment to a reporter that he had a football game to worry about not these distractions.  I would never want to get in the way of that by any means.  And btw, I didn't vote for him the previous year for the simple fact that as a football coach he does get the most out of his fb players on offense but what about the other side of the ball?  It's great that we can beat Buna, HJ, EC but it is a mute point if you can't step up and beat the other big 3 and get the playoffs.  How did we fare against them?  So what I can say is that the way to save money since no other kid can learn anything from anyother coach is just let him run the entire program.  I would be anxious to see the girls program after that.  They could probably win state.  I'm sure that the track teams will improve greatly under his tutilage as well.  The other thing as a parent who had one of "those kids" as you all like to call them another coach up ther was involved in trying to help by meeting with them on a regular basis.  The Moral compass walked around with note cards looking for ways to get them out of the program.  That's great mentoring.  And since all the little hucksters can't wait to play there maybe the moral compass could repond to the 30 emails that were sent asking for him to maybe say a few words to those kids.  That's right, can't do anything else during football season and beach house calls the rest of the time.  I wish our kids great luck during this upcoming year.  I have no doubt that we have the greatest all around coach to accomplish all of this and anything else that he is certatinly asked to do.  Btw, maybe this time if he applies last minute for a job and then gets caught in the open records act and is notified he is not getting the job the compass will not tell the kids he is not sure how his name appeared on the list in the first place.  Guess someone filled out the application for him and sent it in.  Thats the strangest thing that it could happen like that but if anyone could pull it off I am sure that it could be him.If anyone else would like reals reasons as to why I have no voted for the Huck you can pm me and I will certainly tell you more.  I have been at the meetings, listed to the complaints, and I am quite finished listening to the whole thing.  I just hope that the next time that a budget issue such as cutting the elementary music progam or raising taxes that we can becasue of a budget deficit wee can that same support for the teacheers that were affected.  My term is up in 3 years so I would welcome you to run.  Or maybe we can get him to run that as well since he seems to be able to do the rest.

[quote name="bobcat4life" post="1208275" timestamp="1334023781"]
If you took what I had to say as myself, or anyone for that matter want a coach that allows disrespectful, partying kids, then that is sad.  I was talking in general terms.  There is absolutely no way that any coach or teacher had any blame in what happened with the boys, could have happened to any kids.  I was merely making the point that coaches/teachers have a unique opportunity to influence kids, and the more that are in the program the better.  Before you get to talking about ignorant statements it would be wise to find out the true meaning of what is meant.  I think you will find that I said, I am supportive of Huck or any coach that reaches out to kids to support them in their endeavors.  I want to be supportive of ALL KIDS, no matter if they are playing football, basketball, or the kids that don't play sports at all and their thing is debate.
[/quote]You made it sound as if the kids who didn't want to let coach down were in the wrong, and that the others should be let off the hook because they are just kids. Sorry if I did not get "the meaning of what is meant." LOL. But here you go contradicting yourself again, it's not the discipline its the way he runs his program, it's not the way he runs his program it's the lack of compassion for the kids, it's not the lack of compassion for the kids it's the lack of support for other sports. Here's a news flash, Huck is the athletic director, and head football coach. He obviously is going to put much of his time into the football team, because he is the head football coach. As an athletic director, much of his duties are administrative. Yall act like he didn't give the Coaches a choice to run their own weight and conditioning program. When he received complaints of the basketball team, (from a very significant board member I might add) he instilled a workout program for all athletes because some of the other coaches weren't willing to put in the time and effort into developing their own program for their sport. So Huck took over and developed a generic workout program. And for whoever said that football doesn't workout during season is full of bologna. I can promise you they get 4 weight/conditioning workouts a week. Mondays they do circuit weights after practice, Tuesdays they push the sled up and down the field until they vomit, Wednesdays they do core weights, and Saturdays they get up to the field house at 8 in the morning to watch film and then do circuit weights PLUS running. So don't tell me they aren't putting in work like the other sports do.

[quote name="Wildcatter" post="1208346" timestamp="1334030965"]
Did you know that the last time that we made playoffs in football, basketball and baseball ther was a common denominator?  They all had a separate class where they could work on skill developoment and off season lifting.  It absolutely killed the program I guess becasue since that time footbal has not made the playoff and the other sports have in spite of this.  the coach wasRandy Theriot.  BTW are the other coaches up just pieces of crap?  Since it appears that only one coach can cary the moral compass then lets just fire them all and let him run all of the programs including the girls.  If the compass is that good then we should use him for everything that we can get out of such a wise man.  I mean he was even able to get the kids to pull sleds the day after burying 3 of their classmates.  That is some great motivation, don't mind the fact that they are 17 years old.  Also, while I am at it, thank God it was a bye week too or else it would have gotten in the way as well.  I mean who doesn't want someone leading their program when they make a comment to a reporter that he had a football game to worry about not these distractions.  I would never want to get in the way of that by any means.  And btw, I didn't vote for him the previous year for the simple fact that as a football coach he does get the most out of his fb players on offense but what about the other side of the ball?  It's great that we can beat Buna, HJ, EC but it is a mute point if you can't step up and beat the other big 3 and get the playoffs.  How did we fare against them?  So what I can say is that the way to save money since no other kid can learn anything from anyother coach is just let him run the entire program.  I would be anxious to see the girls program after that.  They could probably win state.  I'm sure that the track teams will improve greatly under his tutilage as well.  The other thing as a parent who had one of "those kids" as you all like to call them another coach up ther was involved in trying to help by meeting with them on a regular basis.  The Moral compass walked around with note cards looking for ways to get them out of the program.  That's great mentoring.  And since all the little hucksters can't wait to play there maybe the moral compass could repond to the 30 emails that were sent asking for him to maybe say a few words to those kids.  That's right, can't do anything else during football season and beach house calls the rest of the time.  I wish our kids great luck during this upcoming year.  I have no doubt that we have the greatest all around coach to accomplish all of this and anything else that he is certatinly asked to do.  Btw, maybe this time if he applies last minute for a job and then gets caught in the open records act and is notified he is not getting the job the compass will not tell the kids he is not sure how his name appeared on the list in the first place.  Guess someone filled out the application for him and sent it in.  Thats the strangest thing that it could happen like that but if anyone could pull it off I am sure that it could be him.If anyone else would like reals reasons as to why I have no voted for the Huck you can pm me and I will certainly tell you more.  I have been at the meetings, listed to the complaints, and I am quite finished listening to the whole thing.  I just hope that the next time that a budget issue such as cutting the elementary music progam or raising taxes that we can becasue of a budget deficit wee can that same support for the teacheers that were affected.  My term is up in 3 years so I would welcome you to run.  Or maybe we can get him to run that as well since he seems to be able to do the rest.
[/quote] You act like Coach Huck had no compassion and didn't feel for the kids suffering a loss, hell even his own two sons were affected by the loss so don't for a second think that he completely ignored the situation and acted like nothing happened. You my friend are sick to think that and to portray Huck in such a way.  You are forgetting that there is a Defensive Coordinator that runs the other side of the ball. But since you know so much about Coaching and how the system works you know that already. When something isn't getting done the way Huck wants it done then yes he is going to step in and make some changes. It sickens me to sit here and listen to you misconstrue Coach Huck's actions and words. Sounds like you are mad that more people see Coach Huck for who he really is and got the yay instead of the nay.

Guess you had to be there.  The majority o people that were in that room that night were either over 55 or they had 5th graders in the program.  I was there.  As far as the workouts at no time did he step up because the other coaches did not have a workout, they are just not allowed to do them.  I have had kids in the program for 7 years and am very involved.  So, unless you have first hand knowledge of the situation I would suggest either you get a whistle or attend something besides a football game on Fri night.  You also have no clue as to the workouts either.  There are only circuits on Wed, Bobcat builders, and that is only after football season is over and the other sports start.  Tues the kids run 8 200's, have done it for 3 years.  The other 3 days for FB is getting ready for the game, he said so himself.  The other sports do not and have not had that.  Sat is a tape/workout day which consists of 50% of the weight that they would normally do. You my friend have drank the Kool Aid and I realize no one will ever convince you otherwise but you are also very misinformed of what really goes on.  BTW, how many coaches did you say to support him?

[quote name="Wildcatter" post="1208383" timestamp="1334061393"]
Guess you had to be there.  The majority o people that were in that room that night were either over 55 or they had 5th graders in the program.  I was there.  As far as the workouts at no time did he step up because the other coaches did not have a workout, they are just not allowed to do them.  I have had kids in the program for 7 years and am very involved.  So, unless you have first hand knowledge of the situation I would suggest either you get a whistle or attend something besides a football game on Fri night.  You also have no clue as to the workouts either.  There are only circuits on Wed, Bobcat builders, and that is only after football season is over and the other sports start.  Tues the kids run 8 200's, have done it for 3 years.  The other 3 days for FB is getting ready for the game, he said so himself.  The other sports do not and have not had that.  Sat is a tape/workout day which consists of 50% of the weight that they would normally do. You my friend have drank the Kool Aid and I realize no one will ever convince you otherwise but you are also very misinformed of what really goes on.  BTW, how many coaches did you say to support him?
[/quote]

And your an Orangefield board member??????????

Much like your name I too am glad to be here, I think OF has alot to offer.  I am a parent first.  I have spent countless hours working with the kids in this district volunteering my time.  I have also been involved with helping support all programs so that they could have money for our kids to have what they needed in order to compete in all sports.  I am at every football game cheering on the bobcats and I would put my closet of orange up against anyone in the district.  All of this started because kids in the "other" sports have not had an the same opportunity as the "The" sport.  And before you say this is football country, look at every other program in the area and explain why we are the only one not to offer this.  It has no impact whatsoever on this.  Are you telling me that all sports could not get better with 178 hours of additional practice a year?  The kids can't even be in the gym unless we pay for someone to sit there yet we can play Sunday football on the field.  And yes, to say that I was heard first hand about the actions around what the kids were going to have to do the day after the funerals is true.  It was not until some "crazy parents" complained that it was changed.  The other rules change as soon as the football season ends and that is why I am ticked off at the situation.  The other stuff I will kkeep to myself.  If you can convince me that we don't need the extra practice then I would love to hear why.

[quote name="Wildcatter" post="1208403" timestamp="1334063546"]
Much like your name I too am glad to be here, I think OF has alot to offer.  I am a parent first.  I have spent countless hours working with the kids in this district volunteering my time.  I have also been involved with helping support all programs so that they could have money for our kids to have what they needed in order to compete in all sports.  I am at every football game cheering on the bobcats and I would put my closet of orange up against anyone in the district.  All of this started because kids in the "other" sports have not had an the same opportunity as the "The" sport.  And before you say this is football country, look at every other program in the area and explain why we are the only one not to offer this.  It has no impact whatsoever on this.  Are you telling me that all sports could not get better with 178 hours of additional practice a year?  The kids can't even be in the gym unless we pay for someone to sit there yet we can play Sunday football on the field.  And yes, to say that I was heard first hand about the actions around what the kids were going to have to do the day after the funerals is true.  It was not until some "crazy parents" complained that it was changed.  The other rules change as soon as the football season ends and that is why I am ticked off at the situation.  The other stuff I will kkeep to myself.  If you can convince me that we don't need the extra practice then I would love to hear why.
[/quote]

I just sent you a PM

Silsbee beat Orangefield by 30 and 40 points before Huck got there.  The last two years.....12 points combined. 
Didnt you beat Bridge City two or three years ago?

I know I am on the outside, but I see it this way.......the big school in the district should be able to beat the small school in the district by 21 points or more, due to numbers.  More kids......more talent.

Looks like he has coached them up a tad to me.

[quote name="Wildcatter" post="1208383" timestamp="1334061393"]
[/quote]You my friend are misconstruing the facts. The other Coaches aren't disallowed to do their own workouts. Seems to me that they just aren't willing to put in the time to do them. But what I am having trouble understanding is what is so wrong with Huck's workouts anyways? In what sports would it not be beneficial to use your core muscles? (Which is what Huck's workouts mainly target) If you want some basketball type workout for example, why isn't the basketball coach setting aside 20 minutes or so after practice to do box jumps or calf raises or something?

[color=red]Quote from Wildcatter: Did you know that the last time that we made playoffs in football, basketball and baseball ther was a common denominator?  They all had a separate class where they could work on skill developoment and off season lifting.  It absolutely killed the program I guess becasue since that time footbal has not made the playoff and the other sports have in spite of this.  the coach wasRandy Theriot. [/color]

The first time the boys made the play-offs in basketball since 1958 was 2005. Theriot was not there at that time. Also our district foes had a different make-up in coach Theriot stint as head coach. Here are the teams: Woodville, Kountze, Kirbyville( during down years for them) Warren, SFA, Buna and Newton (we never beat Newton in football). IMO you cannot compare 1995-98 to 2012. Out of 4 years Theriot was in Orangefield 2 were very successful, Playoffs in football, we had decent track teams, very good pole vaulters, good tennis teams, good golfers and the baseball team was decent.
In 2011 the football team was in the  hunt for a playoff spot needing to win their last game, girls went to the playoff's in Volleyball. In 2012 girls made the playoffs in basketball. Boys had a playoff for 3rd, Boys and girls Golf teams won district (Don't think that has ever happened before), Girls softball has a chance and so does boys baseball to make the playoffs. All and all 2012 is a decent year considering who is in our district now compared to 1997-98. By the way the quote is in [color=red]red[/color] to set itself apart from the actual text. Not because I am upset. Just letting everyone know.