Jasper Head Football Coach leaving!!!!!wow

No question.  Shawn Mixon cares about his program.  I would expect that all the other coaches care about their programs also.  True Shawn might have more "stroke" since he is from Jasper.  But that should not matter.  Hire good coaches, admins and fans get out of the way and let them do their jobs.  If they fail, then fire them if necessary.  But please, do not try to micro manage them.  Same with teachers and any other district employees.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="bulldogs1990" post="1201976" timestamp="1332736082"]
When u have people in adm.that wants to run everything then u have problems. We have one coach in jasper that cares about his program and thats shawn mixon. And if his family wasnt from here he would of been run off years ago. Ive seen parants complain to him for years about there kids cause momma and daddy think hes to hard on there kid. Look what he has done in the baseball program. People let your kids grow up to be men or ladys. And we have some adm. Who has to go. What is chris colmans title? It used to be over athletes. Whats coach brooks title? We have too much money going to places that dont need spent in jasper. Ive been on a school board for years. Jisd has to many people wanting to run everything. Let the people you hire do there jobs if they do it wrong then its your job to get them back on track. Not to tell them how to run there programs.
[/quote]

It is hard for me to believe that you were/ are on a school board after reading your post.

The majority of what is being posted on here is speculation. And one side of the story. You dont get to hear the administrations side of the story because that is against their policy. Jasper's admin is not going to walk outside and defend their position and shoot down false rumors. I know several of the administrators and it is extremely frustrating to not be able to just run and tell everybody what the real deal is. Everyone is quick to run down the Jasper administration.

It was mentioned before in this post about how there really hasnt been any bad blood with the coaches here in the past since coach Walkoviaks departure. And that is true. Brooks left on his own accord to make more money and get closer to family, came back because he liked it here. Lauve left for more money and a bigger school. Bickham was the only one that resigned but it certainly wasnt admins fault. So you shouldnt say the administration is doing something wrong because of the high turnover.

I think "admin" gets a bad rap a lot of the time because they cant go out and defend themselves. Because you hear speculation or one persons side doesnt make it true just because the other side cant defend against it in public...

And, no, I am not an administrator.

They were informed by their lawyer they had to accept the resignation per kjas. No other action was taken.

They better get on the ball with the hiring process now. They will probably wind up replacing several by years end. There will be at least two and probably four or five gone now.

Better find a strong leader now!

I am an alum of JISD.  I graduated in the 80's and of course played football under coach Walkoviak.  I have been out of Jasper for a while but I keep tabs on the events and things going on in Jasper.  I have been watching over the years the "revolving door" of coaches that have come through the Jasper football program.  It has saddened me because so many talented young men cannot come up in a stable system that has been in place for a while.  Athletic programs, just like some businesses and even families cannot flourish in an unstable environment as this.  Something definitely has to be done.  I do not want to speculate, but it seems there must be a power struggle somewhere.  Coaches who have put in as much time and invested as much energy as coach Morgan seems to have don't just up and leave.  Obviously, there was something much deeper going on and has been going on for a while.

I believe the administration does bear some responsibility in this "turnaround" of coaches.  It is their job as administration to help create a positive environment for the coaches to work in.  It is a challenge for a AD/HC to be able to accomplish his objectives (creating a winning program, increasing the passing rate of his athletes, and fostering an environment of structure and discipline) if his hands are proverbially tied.  As long as things are being done in a legal and ethical manner, he should be able to do what he feels is best without being micromanaged.  It would be the administration's job to see to it he is accomplishing the objectives they have set for him and assist him in meeting his own goals.  It would also be beneficial for the administration to show support for their AD/HC in view of the public eye so that community buy-in would be greater. 

From this point forward, JISD administration needs to figure what needs to be done to retain the next coach.  They need to make long-term goals with the next coach and work with him to be successful.  This would greatly benefit the school, the community and mainly, the kids.

(Just my 0.02)

Sure would be nice to know what "the vision changing" meant. It had to be with the administration. People deserve some answers from the administration and the board and nobody wants to talk. The board may not want to give answers now, but if they don't they may answer when their seat comes up again. Something has got to give for the sake of the kids and there should be some explanations given to the people of the Jasper school district. I am not saying who is right and wrong, just saying there should be some information given to the people of the community that are concerned and have questions. Do they not answer to the people who voted for them and whom they vowed to work for and with in the district? 

Guest Fancy
[quote name="Jbdfan" post="1202353" timestamp="1332813940"]
They were informed by their lawyer they had to accept the resignation per kjas. No other action was taken.

They better get on the ball with the hiring process now. They will probably wind up replacing several by years end. There will be at least two and probably four or five gone now.

Better find a strong leader now!
[/quote]
any insight on who's coming or going?

Some people on here are talking about "now" having to replace four or five coaches.  From what I have been hearing those other guys were already looking to leave and if they do leave now it has nothing to do with Morgan resigning but it will look like that from the outside.  Who knows maybe they will all stay now.

Well regardless, we now must move forward. However, I do not like it when people employed by tax dollars and put in positions by voters think that they don't have to give  any explanation to the tax payers and voters. I am not saying Morgan is right or wrong. I am just saying that I think the people deserve explanation as to what has happened and why. I may be wrong, but they hired Bickham and everyone knew he had some sketchy history and now they make a good hire, but can't keep him. If Morgan leaving is his on fault, fine. If he is leaving due to unkept promises or administrative power moves, that is not fine. There has to be some accountabilty or people in power become dictators.

[quote name="Cowboys1981" post="1202581" timestamp="1332869735"]
Bring Toby, Jack, and Darrell in and pick one of those three and it will get ur program what ya'll are lookin for.
[/quote]

I agree either one these guys would great!!!!  I don't think they have any problems filling any vacant assistant positions; that is, if the current assistants leave.  Toby, Jack, and Darrell would have NO problem standing up to the rogue administration; then again, that could be the reason why they weren't hired last year.  I pray the board hires someone really soon so he can get his staff and the kids in position for the Fall.

[quote name="Cowboys1981" post="1202581" timestamp="1332869735"]
Bring Toby, Jack, and Darrell in and pick one of those three and it will get ur program what ya'll are lookin for.
[/quote]

At this point, hiring any of these coaches would be practicing "insanity".  That is "doing the same thing over again only to expect a different result.  I mean, if these coaches are "top notch", either one of them would be very successful like coach Morgan, start or continue tutoring programs to help the kids, begin to get "buy in" from their players and the community alike and take ownership and pride in their accomplishments.  This may make administration or someONE in administration unhappy and feel threatened.  I feel like (though I could be completely wrong) that administration has a problem.  I keep seeing this name, Chris Coleman popping up.  If he is the problem, then he is the one who needs to be removed.  Otherwise, if this keeps up, Jasper will develop a reputation of having lots of talent, but a place where a coach can't coach the way they want or need to in order to be successful.

If nothing in administration changes, don't hire a "Great Coach".  Hire some little "penny annie yes man" that will do what Mr. Coleman wants.  He won't be as successful, then after a couple of bad seasons, he will get fired and it won't be such a big deal. He can just go out and get another mediocre coach and continue the process.

However, if people want to see Jasper Bulldog Football restored to its pre-eminence of yesteryear, then administration needs to hire a "Great Coach" get behind him, support him, give him what he needs and the SPACE he needs to do what he is trained to do.  Administration (i.e. Mr. Coleman) needs to do what other admin people do in successful programs. Buy a season pass, get a stadium chair and some pom poms sit in the stands and cheer his team on.

(That's two more cents.)

There is always going to be disagreement with new coaches and a superintendent, but unless they are asking you to clean toliets you learn to work through them.  What is bad about this whole situation is that the coaches and their families have been put in jeopardy of having to move with a new hire.  Maybe before a HC ups and resigns he should think of the whole picture and what are some other ways to remedy it.  If it is just because of coaches teaching, grow-up.  Alot of 5A coaches teach, but again in some wealthy districts the OC and DC may not teach, but in these financial times one should think before put others jobs in jeopardy.

Not employed in district, just like the sports.

[quote name="Ruger1" post="1202890" timestamp="1332935256"]
There is always going to be disagreement with new coaches and a superintendent, but unless they are asking you to clean toliets you learn to work through them.
[/quote]

Disagreeing is one thing.  Being placed in a situation where you are unable to do what you are being paid to do is something totally different.  An AD/HC in these situations feel they are hired to do a certain task.  However, if their hands have been tied, it stifles them.  They will feel they cannot do their job.  If they feel like the administration is trying to make them into a "puppet", then a good coach will not want to stay (i.e. the Jimmie Johnson/Jerry Jones situation).  However, if a good coach is made to feel like he has the support of the administration with all of the work he is doing like starting tutoring programs to increase athletes' passing rates and being successful on the field, fostering a renewed love and pride in the program, he wouldn't mind doing extra like teaching classes.  Heck, he probably wouldn't mind cleaning a toilet or two.

[quote name="Ruger1" post="1202890" timestamp="1332935256"]
There is always going to be disagreement with new coaches and a superintendent, but unless they are asking you to clean toliets you learn to work through them.  What is bad about this whole situation is that the coaches and their families have been put in jeopardy of having to move with a new hire.  Maybe before a HC ups and resigns he should think of the whole picture and what are some other ways to remedy it.  If it is just because of coaches teaching, grow-up.  Alot of 5A coaches teach, but again in some wealthy districts the OC and DC may not teach, but in these financial times one should think before put others jobs in jeopardy.

[/quote]

THIS. Morgan is young and immature and left when times got hard.

[quote name="pirateguy" post="1203018" timestamp="1332949021"]
[quote author=Ruger1 link=topic=97736.msg1202890#msg1202890 date=1332935256]

[/quote]

THIS. Morgan is young and immature and left when times got hard.
[/quote]
ok, how about all the other coaches that left during the past decade plus?  didn't see any young ones in that bunch.  ultimately, admin is responsible.  if the admin hired an "immature" coach, that is still their responsibility and we deserve an explanation why they did that.  the buck stops with the administration.

Sounds like he wanted a 5A program at a 3A school that is not the richest in the state.  I think maybe the Admin did what was right by the taxpayers and were going to have people on the payroll do more than just sit in classrooms and do nothing.  What is wrong with coaches "teaching" in a classroom?  Sounds like to me that the Admin had the right idea on this one and someone just took his ball and went home.  The admin must have the vision for the entire school district (and contrary to popular belief education does come first) and not just the athletic side of it and any employee of the district that does not share that should go look for a job elsewhere.  Someone tell me just what the "Admin" did wrong here.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder