Jasper Head Football Coach leaving!!!!!wow

[quote name="GCMPats" post="1199523" timestamp="1332253449"]
[quote author=T-daddy link=topic=97736.msg1199443#msg1199443 date=1332214527]
1. The OC that was asked to teach was Morgan's brother, he didnt like that..
2. He wanted several coaches out of the class room and full time coaches...
(I personally have never known a coach in jasper to not teach except the HC and AD..) What would a coach do during the day play golf? they only have two work out periods in the field house..Some of the coaches that teach, teach PE and are only there for 3 periods..come on.

Coach Brooks= left for tyler after about 3 years
Coach Lauve= stayed for about 5 years (best years we ever had) left for 5a
Coach Brooks= came back coached couple of yrs and has stayed with district.
Coach Bicham= lead program in wrong direction (the inmates ran the prison)
Coach Morgan= 1 year..has program turned around in every area, great coach.

I think we need to look for someone with jasper ties that maybe has parents here or went to school here..(coach Mixon and our baseball program is a good example)
Next coach will have a great team to work with and will be successful..
[/quote]

It is not uncommon for OC's and DC's to have "light" teaching loads. 2-3 classes out of 7. Some spend time at the junior highs working with their "feeder" athletes, teaching the high school way of doing things.

Football is king and it's good to be the king.
[/quote]

Wen I was playing at WOS in the late 90's, we were a larger sized 4A school. All of our coaches taught except for Coach Hooks. I had our OC at the time, Barry Norton, for health. Even coach Thompson (DC at the time) coached PE and Health I believe.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoever gets the job will do good as long as they follow the disciplined approach. These kids have to be under a disciplined coaching staff. It will still take the right kind of person. I am intrigued by this guy being mentioned from WOS. That is the kind of coach we need. There is plenty of support from community and parents here. All in all Jasper is a pretty good place to be and raise a family. I f we can get the city politics and school politics right, it will be a great place to be. 

[quote name="ctowndawgfan" post="1199542" timestamp="1332255101"]
Whoever they bring in needs to beware of what lies in the tall grass!

A CCopperhead is lurking! 8)
[/quote]

I sense some bitterness. Must be one of the coaches who is leaving because he had to start teaching. ;)

When did "coaching" become not teaching. I seem to remember "coaches" teaching a lot about discipline, effort, self worth, and life in general. They also spent a lot of time and effort on game plans, offseason programs, and "teaching" the jr high how to be high school. But I'm old and a lot of current political correctness eludes me. The average person understands very little about school finance and the constraints the legislature has put on local budgets. And it is easy to blame instead of offering viable solutions. Nothing with the school districts and money these days is easy.

Guest Fancy
[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1199561" timestamp="1332257243"]
It just amazes me that there are coaches in a 3A school that are not teaching in the classroom, even PE. Other than the AD, all others, including the coordinators, should have some classroom responsibilities.

Cannot blame Jasper ISD for having to make these changes.
[/quote]

Again after looking over the school website..every coach is listed in an educational department, so who isn't teaching besides the head coach?

[quote name="Fancy" post="1199574" timestamp="1332258429"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=97736.msg1199561#msg1199561 date=1332257243]
It just amazes me that there are coaches in a 3A school that are not teaching in the classroom, even PE. Other than the AD, all others, including the coordinators, should have some classroom responsibilities.

Cannot blame Jasper ISD for having to make these changes.
[/quote]

Again after looking over the school website..every coach is listed in an educational department, so who isn't teaching besides the head coach?
[/quote]

According to my sources, neither coordinator was teaching. The offensive co. is Morgan's brother and he was told he would have to start teaching next school year. Neither liked it so they are leaving.

You have bad facts... The coordinators both teach now. I think this lays much deeper than a couple of guys teaching loads.

Morgan was very successful in Carthage. He was Surratt's Assistant AD and right hand man. Therefore to me it seems that maybe he knew how to do it right and JISD Administration didn't want to change there old ways. There's a reason all these coaches have been leaving this place over the years!

Guest Fancy
Theres got to be more to this. Guy leaves a 3 time state champion as the assistant AD moves his family; brings in a entire staff of new coaches. Wins district in 3 sports, competitive in most. And is resigning over teaching assignments? Seems he would have a lot invested to up and leave over something so small

That doesn't sound like the truth at all

[quote name="PNGFan" post="1199585" timestamp="1332260287"]
All the coaches in PNG teach either PE or core subject. AD Faircloth is the only one who doesn't.
[/quote]

The same at WO-S, and it dates back to the days when they were a 5A school.

[quote name="ctowndawgfan" post="1199586" timestamp="1332260621"]
Read this today. Looks like he really had it headed in the right direction.

http://news.mywebpal.com/news_tool_v2.cfm?show=localnews&pnpID=974&NewsID=1014571&CategoryID=20207&on=1
[/quote]

Interesting that you quote this article given your previous denial that the teaching assignments of the coaching staff.  It stated:

"Dr. Whitemore did say he had a short conversation with Coach Morgan about the resignation, and although there was no single reason, he stated that Coach Morgan said that it was a lot of things, [b]some of which eluded to an increase in teaching assignments and other duties that were being placed on his coaching staff.[/b]"

[quote name="ctowndawgfan" post="1199586" timestamp="1332260621"]
Read this today. Looks like he really had it headed in the right direction.

http://news.mywebpal.com/news_tool_v2.cfm?show=localnews&pnpID=974&NewsID=1014571&CategoryID=20207&on=1
[/quote]
Without a doubt, Coach Morgan had it headed in the right direction.  But what does it look like for him now?  The going got tough, and he quit?  It is tough all over right now.  Is his next stop going to be any easier?

Guest Fancy
Also in his first year, he and his staff along with the help many of the teachers were able to improve the percentages of student athletes who maintained passing grades through after school tutoring at the school. Some grade levels went from a 77% passing rate just the year before to 97% of athletes passing to play.---from KJAS

Did anyone notice the passing rate of the athletes? Isnt Jasper Unacceptable? Whatever Morgan was doing through the athletic program must have worked to improve thier academics by 20% in one year!!!!! I find it hard to believe an AD that improved Academics that much has much of an issue with coaches teaching

[quote name="ctowndawgfan" post="1199578" timestamp="1332259369"]
You have bad facts... The coordinators both teach now. I think this lays much deeper than a couple of guys teaching loads.

Morgan was very successful in Carthage. He was Surratt's Assistant AD and right hand man. Therefore to me it seems that maybe he knew how to do it right and JISD Administration didn't want to change there old ways. There's a reason all these coaches have been leaving this place over the years!
[/quote]

Interesting...I hear from reliable sources that he was allowed to get away with some "under the table" things at Carthage. Heard some nasty things about the Carthage athletic department. Seems to me like Morgan came from a place where he was allowed to do anything and football was treated like a college sport and he got to Jasper where money and restrictions were a little tighter and him and his brother couldn't handle it so they took their ball and went home. Newsflash fellas...you're not in the Pro ranks like your brother  ;)

jasper athletic program has a teacher from each core subject VOLUNTEER thier time to help tutor the kids that are having trouble in a subject..this program was of great help this year and the reason for the passing rate..

I was told by a coach TODAY that alot of coaches was dissappointed in the Morgan's they feel abandoned by HC morgan and said brother Morgan doesnt do anything but walk around and be lazy..He said that he didnt know of any other coaches that had a problem with there teaching schedule in fact he said they are treated better than other schools treated him..he went on to say he hopes whoever the new coach is will want him to stick around. This is a coach that goes to the HS for 1st period athletics, goes to another school and teaches then goes to the middle school for 8th period jr high athletics and helps the jr high lift weights..

We have some good young coaches that our young athlets like and work hard for hope we can retain some...

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder