Have Team? Will Travel!

hfmom08

Just thought I would start this topic based on the Beaumont Enterprise article that BMTSoulja1 found interesting.

I also find that article interesting but want to point out that if you have a team that you support you should travel with them so that you can be just as effective as the home crowd. 

On a personal note:
HF is closing out their district season with three very tough games on the road and one will determine if they will be the 3rd place team and advance to the playoffs.

The first of those three games happend Tuesday night in Silsbee and the HF team handled it well even without a large following.  No one expected Silsbee vs. HF game to be as close as it was and it was a very exciting and entertaining game.

The second of the road trip games will be tomorrow (Friday) at WO-S and will determine the 3rd place team and who will advance. 

If you (fans) won't travel <50 miles to support YOUR team how will you travel farther if they make it to playoffs? 

LET'S GET ON THE ROAD!!!

[quote name="PoppaBearstarr" post="1174976" timestamp="1328806924"]
I agree HFMOM...I do not have a kid on the team but I will travel as far as I need to, to get my Basketball fix...High school sports is where its at.
[/quote]

Thanks PoppaBear...tradition has to start somewhere.  I definately see it at HJ.

Uandme08 said in the "I found this article interesting" post... "I can't seem to understand why there isn't at least 1 person from the family there for each child participating including the cheerleaders." 

I know all of the fans that follow HJ and Silsbee don't have kids/grandkids playing--they just follow which is my point...if you have a team that you want to claim as "your team" and you can get on this board or anywhere else and talk for/against them then come out and support them.

Most teams don't bring cheerleaders with them on the road but I've even seen some who don't even have their cheerleaders cheering at their home games (totally don't understand that one). .

It takes more than parent(s)/grandparents.  :)

Very good post. I can tell you not enough people support these kids.  My wife and I have been supporting the Tigers for several years now.  We dont have kids.  I can tell you that the problem exists even for the Tigers.  You can count on the same core of fans to be at most games and that is not very many.  More do turn out for the district and playoff games.  I wish there would be a greater turnout at every game.

[quote name="Wildcatter" post="1174916" timestamp="1328800330"]
Actually it will not determine who, it just keeps the talk alive.  That is, unless HF wins which I do not think will happen.  Otherwise it comes down to Tues in Orangefield to see how the play in game will work.
[/quote] ::) OF has to wait another season. ;D

I agree that it is important to support and follow a team. Tuesday nights with away games are harder when you have young children too. We try and make the home games on Tuesday and all games on Friday whether they are home or away and I don't have anyone playing. It is just fun and being part of a school and community.

[quote name="ST413" post="1175114" timestamp="1328823237"]
I can understand anyone who has to work or has young children.  I just believe these players deserve more support.  It is a shame to see some teams with crowds of [b]20-30 people.[/b]
[/quote]

I have seen less than 15 before in district games and these were 4A schools!!

Sheez! God willing, I will go to my kid's Livingston game next year, and not be so selfish about burning my expensive repub  induced gas gauging tax fuel increases, based on a 32 minute game while driving 2 hours and I will not let people like BMTSOULJA influence me from seeing my children's game. :(

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1175129" timestamp="1328825115"]
Sheez! God willing, I will go to my kid's Livingston game next year, and not be so selfish about burning my expensive rep[b]ub  induced[/b] gas gauging tax fuel increases, based on a 32 minute game while driving 2 hours and I will not let people like BMTSOULJA influence me from seeing my children's game. :(
[/quote]

Repub induced gas increases?  Gasoline prices are  up 83% since Obama took office.  When he was inaugurated, gasoline was selling at average price of $1.79 as per the Bureau of Labor Statistics.  Maybe thats the price we pay for the new era of integrity and transparency.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1175129" timestamp="1328825115"]
Sheez! God willing, I will go to my kid's Livingston game next year, and not be so selfish about burning my expensive repub  induced gas gauging tax fuel increases, based on a 32 minute game while driving 2 hours and I will not let people like BMTSOULJA influence me from seeing my children's game. :(
[/quote] ;D ;D

[quote name="stevenash" post="1175133" timestamp="1328825422"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=95712.msg1175129#msg1175129 date=1328825115]
Sheez! God willing, I will go to my kid's Livingston game next year, and not be so selfish about burning my expensive rep[b]ub  induced[/b] gas gauging tax fuel increases, based on a 32 minute game while driving 2 hours and I will not let people like BMTSOULJA influence me from seeing my children's game. :(
[/quote]

Repub induced gas increases?  Gasoline prices are  up 83% since Obama took office.  When he was inaugurated, gasoline was selling at average price of $1.79 as per the Bureau of Labor Statistics.  Maybe thats the price we pay for the new era of integrity and transparency.
[/quote]Iknew I would wake you up ;D

Here is a theory on this topic.  In a city like Beaumont, and with BISD's transfer rules, a kid can be attending a school out if his attendance zone, and he may be at a different school than his neighbor.  There is less of an allegiance than there might be otherwise. 

I attended a lot of BISD middle school basketball games, football games, and even track meets last year.  I saw a lot of kids at one school in 7th grade, then at a different school in 8th grade.  Don't know the reasons, but it happens a lot.  Vincent, Marshall, Odom, King - where are all these kids going to high school?  In other words, a kid may not grow up being a "Bruin", a "Panther", or a "Jaguar".  At these middle school games, the attendance was spotty, cheerleaders may or may not be there, definitely no band, etc.

I attended a Henderson middle school (HJ) football game, and was amazed to see cheerleaders for both 7th & 8th grade games, a band in the stands, a drill team, decent attendance in the stands, etc.  All this at a middle school football game! Guess what, HJ is not a great football district, right? I pointed out the difference to some HJ people there, and the answer was "all of these kids are Hawks, and they always will be".  There was a lot of pride in the statement.

Could it be that the smaller towns/areas are different altogether because of this?  Nederland kids are raised as Bulldogs, to dislike PNG, etc.  Beaumont kids are raised as what? 

My point is, it's just different.  Not sure of the answer, but I think this may be the reason.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1175137" timestamp="1328826084"]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=95712.msg1175133#msg1175133 date=1328825422]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=95712.msg1175129#msg1175129 date=1328825115]
[/quote]

[/quote]Iknew I would wake you up ;D
[/quote]

That statement has the same credibility as "shovel ready jobs" and " I smoked but I didnt inhale"

[quote name="hfmom08" post="1175016" timestamp="1328811988"]
[quote author=PoppaBearstarr link=topic=95712.msg1174976#msg1174976 date=1328806924]
I agree HFMOM...I do not have a kid on the team but I will travel as far as I need to, to get my Basketball fix...High school sports is where its at.
[/quote]

Thanks PoppaBear...tradition has to start somewhere.  I definately see it at HJ.

Uandme08 said in the "I found this article interesting" post... "I can't seem to understand why there isn't at least 1 person from the family there for each child participating including the cheerleaders." 

I know all of the fans that follow HJ and Silsbee don't have kids/grandkids playing--they just follow which is my point...if you have a team that you want to claim as "your team" and you can get on this board or anywhere else and talk for/against them then come out and support them.

Most teams don't bring cheerleaders with them on the road but I've even seen some who don't even have their cheerleaders cheering at their home games (totally don't understand that one). .

[/quote]

I agree as well, I just feel like it should start with the parents and/or family. My child has played everything under the moon regularly since the 3rd grade and I think I've missed a total of 6 games if that many. I keep praying for June 2013 (graduation) but 10 times out of 10 he will be looking for me when he goes on to play on the next level. My son playing has been my motivation because I can honestly say that I don't have a favorite team. Ozen has a chant "Ozen Soldier for life.......", my version is "Ozen Soldier til 2013.....". I will make it to a few after graduation but not every single 1. Nederland will be there in droves tomorrow and Ozen will be lucky to have 50 and it's a home game.

[quote name="Pumper" post="1175140" timestamp="1328826184"]
Here is a theory on this topic.  In a city like Beaumont, and with BISD's transfer rules, a kid can be attending a school out if his attendance zone, and he may be at a different school than his neighbor.  There is less of an allegiance than there might be otherwise. 

I attended a lot of BISD middle school basketball games, football games, and even track meets last year.  I saw a lot of kids at one school in 7th grade, then at a different school in 8th grade.  Don't know the reasons, but it happens a lot.  Vincent, Marshall, Odom, King - where are all these kids going to high school?  In other words, a kid may not grow up being a "Bruin", a "Panther", or a "Jaguar".  At these middle school games, the attendance was spotty, cheerleaders may or may not be there, definitely no band, etc.

I attended a Henderson middle school (HJ) football game, and was amazed to see cheerleaders for both 7th & 8th grade games, a band in the stands, a drill team, decent attendance in the stands, etc.  All this at a middle school football game! Guess what, HJ is not a great football district, right? I pointed out the difference to some HJ people there, and the answer was "all of these kids are Hawks, and they always will be".  There was a lot of pride in the statement.

Could it be that the smaller towns/areas are different altogether because of this?  Nederland kids are raised as Bulldogs, to dislike PNG, etc.  Beaumont kids are raised as what? 

My point is, it's just different.  Not sure of the answer, but I think this may be the reason.
[/quote]You're beginning to make sense too! Scary!

[quote name="hfmom08" post="1175016" timestamp="1328811988"]
[quote author=PoppaBearstarr link=topic=95712.msg1174976#msg1174976 date=1328806924]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Believe it or not, HJ's support has been down this year by way of their student section, they only show up for the big games..But I do love seeing all of the former students, parents, & athletes that show up every night. The passion for support the community has is addicting..

[quote name="hfmom08" post="1175174" timestamp="1328829323"]
I can see it being addicting PoppaBear but not so addicting that I could or would join the Hawk Club.  ;)  I just wish the kids had the support if their peers and community more here in Longhorn country.
[/quote]

Believe it or not, someone had the nerve to say(not to my face of course) " He only follows them because they win consistantly", They did not have the intestinal fortitude to say it to me, because my response would have been; ARE YOU ON CRACK....I've been a devoted aggie fan for over 20 years, yes even basketball, when they were horrible. If that were the case I would have dumped them 18 years ago... 

[quote name="PoppaBearstarr" post="1175177" timestamp="1328829604"]
[quote author=hfmom08 link=topic=95712.msg1175174#msg1175174 date=1328829323]
I can see it being addicting PoppaBear but not so addicting that I could or would join the Hawk Club.  ;)  I just wish the kids had the support if their peers and community more here in Longhorn country.
[/quote]

Believe it or not, someone had the nerve to say(not to my face of course) " He only follows them because they win consistantly", They did not have the intestinal fortitude to say it to me, because my response would have been; ARE YOU ON CRACK....[b]I've been a devoted aggie fan for over 20 years[/b], yes even basketball, when they were horrible. If that were the case I would have dumped them 18 years ago...
[/quote]

You should see a Dr. about that....

Win or lose, we (Huntington)always have a good following. Lot of older people will drive a long way just to come to the game. Been a lot of ups and downs through the years but if your a fan you hang with them......If a town has a lot of tradition it gets ingrained in the community....playoffs will bring out people that hasn't been to a game all year.....I bet if HF gets in people will come out of the wood work.....they need to treat the WOS  game like a playoff and fill up the gym!

[quote name="no-look" post="1175192" timestamp="1328831292"]
Win or lose, we (Huntington)always have a good following. Lot of older people will drive a long way just to come to the game. Been a lot of ups and downs through the years but if your a fan you hang with them......If a town has a lot of tradition it gets ingrained in the community....playoffs will bring out people that hasn't been to a game all year.....I bet if HF gets in people will come out of the wood work.....they need to treat the WOS  game like a playoff and fill up the gym!
[/quote]

THANK YOU for saying it no-look!  That was the whole point of me posting this topic because I would love to see the HF fans in Orange tomorrow night!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder