*#1 HARDIN-JEFFERSON @ #4 SILSBEE Broadcast*/SILSBEE WINS 59-56!!!!

[quote name="stigers12" post="1160475" timestamp="1326611060"]
[quote author=FanintheStands link=topic=94174.msg1160349#msg1160349 date=1326600784]
[quote author=stigers12 link=topic=94174.msg1160233#msg1160233 date=1326589870]
How can HJ be the better team? The great teams find a way to win, which silsbee did, not miss all their free throws. Hj is a great team but Id say there about as evenly matched as it gets. Had the shot not gone in, theres no telling what overtime would have brought! Silsbee was outscored in 2 quarters while outscoring hj in 2. Yes hj came storming back, but silsbee went on a crazy run to be in the lead in the first place. Shawns 3 to end the third was a huge momentum boost, but in the clutch when it mattered silsbee stopped the bleeding and kept hj from making the go ahead shot. Great game, imo silsbee proved who's better, for now at least. We'll see how they bounce back.
[/quote]C'mon, man!  Silsbee, with a home court advantage squeaks out a 3 point win.  That doesn't prove that they are better.  It just proves that they were better [u][b]Friday Night![/b][/u]

Methinks that an 8 game series would end up 4 to 4.
[/quote]
I said they're very evenly matched! Either one is capable of beating the other, but tell me this: if Silsbee was the better team Friday night, then what have they lost by saturday morning that lessens that? If Silsbee was the better team on that given night, don't they earn the title of the best until it can be proven that they aren't?
[/quote]I'll give you that.

But what have they lost?  They've lost the home court.  It won't be there in 3 weeks, and hopefully, it won't be there in Sam Houston! That's what I'm wanting to see more than anything!

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="bullets13" post="1160431" timestamp="1326607672"]
I listened to most of the game last night, but i was on my iphone and didn't feel like making a long drawn-out post, and i've been at the deer lease all day, so...

1. congrats to silsbee on a great win.  while i picked HJ to win, i'm not surprised at all that Silsbee was able to pull this one off at home.

2. congrats to the hawks on a great comeback.  to be down that much with just a minute or so left in the 3rd and to be able to come back and tie it is MUCH more shocking than the fact that Silsbee won.

3. HJ's poor freethrow shooting was the biggest factor in this result.  Yes, Silsbee deserves a lot of credit for their performance, but if HJ shoots a mere 50% from the line they win. 

4. While Silsbee's game winning shot was very lucky, the fact that they were in position to make a lucky game winning shot was not luck at all.  They have a very good team, and they're even better at their home gym.

5. While i never want HJ to lose to Silsbee, i think in the long run this loss will likely be more valuable to the hawks than a win would have been.  A team that faces very little adversity through the season is set up for a letdown once they get deep into the playoffs.

6. I still think HJ is the better team, but the best team doesn't always win... and Friday night Silsbee WAS the best team, but barely.

7. These two teams are the best two teams in the region, and i fully expect one of them to representing SETX at state in a couple of months.

8. I believe that Silsbee's strength of schedule helped prepare them for this game, but HJ's perceived lack of strength of schedule did not have a major impact in their play in this game.  HJ has played some really solid teams, but they beat them badly, which leads people to believe that their schedule has been weak.

9.  The Silsbee/HJ games are among the top local sporting events we have in the area every year.

10. I expect HJ to beat Silsbee by 10-15 points at HJ.  HJ will shoot better at home, and they'll still have their height advantage and the speed to match up with the Tigers.
[/quote]
Nice, sensible analysis, Bullets.  Of course I can't agree with all of your points, but this is one of the best that I have read - and you weren't even there!  If you had been you would have left the "speed thing" out of your last "bullet."  8)

[quote name="PoppaBearstarr" post="1160361" timestamp="1326602817"]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=94174.msg1159942#msg1159942 date=1326563294]
[quote author=LAZEEK link=topic=94174.msg1159939#msg1159939 date=1326562972]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=94174.msg1159935#msg1159935 date=1326562410]
[quote author=LAZEEK link=topic=94174.msg1159931#msg1159931 date=1326562251]
Schedule had nothing to do with it.  Had HJ got blown out then you can say something about the schedule.

HJ came from 18 down to tie, that takes heart and guts to come back.  They could not get over the hill, and a great shot from 35 feet sealed the deal.  HJ lost on FT's!!!!!

I can assure you that HJ will never shoot 35% from the FT line again.

The better team beat themselves last night!!!!

The better team lost the game at the line!!!

No other reason!!!
[/quote]

Gee, very Cooper-esque of you!  But sorry, the better team did win. You know how I know?  The scoreboard said so.

[/quote]

That is your opinion, and you are entitled to it.  I have given credit to Silsbee.    And I am far from Cooper!!!

You have never seen either team play, so WTH do you know?
[/quote]

Don't have to know anything, all I have to do is read a scoreboard any talk about "happenings" as [b]your soul mate used to put it, is just that talk.[/b]
[/quote]
BTW, don't cuss on the board. You know our board owner doesn't like that

[/quote]
Who are you referring to.....

Nevermind you are exactly who i thought you were.....

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1160523" timestamp="1326643849"]
[quote author=bullets13 link=topic=94174.msg1160514#msg1160514 date=1326641502]
:)
[/quote]

Good analysis bullets. Makes me think that the broadcast was a good one.

Thanks for listening.

See you Monday?
[/quote]

might make it, not sure yet.

Yes a good analysis although a couple points I am not in complete agreement with.  First it may not be a major shock that the Tigers won but I don't think the Hawks comeback was a major shock either in fact when the Tigers had their 18 point lead I turned to those around me and said how the game was far from over and expected a comeback.  And yes the free throws would be a big difference maker but I also feel the difference from the three point line was just as big.

This is my first post on this matter. Everyone has been saying how H-J shot didn't shoot freethrows very well or 3 pointers, etc.. It's my opinion that H-J didn't do well at all and i'm sure the true Silsbee fans would agree that Silsbee didn't play their best either. To many turnovers and missed shots from both teams. I think both teams will need to play a lot better the deeper they get in the playoffs.

And for all those people who say the last shot was lucky, well, I say if your aiming for the basket and it goes in, then it's just a good shot, not lucky.

[quote name="LUcardiac" post="1160908" timestamp="1326670192"]
This is my first post on this matter. Everyone has been saying how H-J shot didn't shoot freethrows very well or 3 pointers, etc.. It's my opinion that H-J didn't do well at all and i'm sure the true Silsbee fans would agree that Silsbee didn't play their best either. To many turnovers and missed shots from both teams. I think both teams will need to play a lot better the deeper they get in the playoffs.

And for all those people who say the last shot was lucky, well, I say if your aiming for the basket and it goes in, then it's just a good shot, not lucky.
[/quote]

Then, in your opinion, any shot that goes through the net is a good one.  I can certainly understand that.    Would you agree that if this situation presents itself again to the same player in the same circumstances that the odds suggest the shot is not likely to go through the net?  If I am playing blackjack and draw two cards that total 20 and it beats the dealer, did I "play the hand" right or did the cards happen to appear in my favor?  Florida State just beat North Carolina 90-57 and they can certainly classify that as a "good" victory.  Do you believe that is what is to be expected or was it an abnormal exception when analyzing a large sample of likely outcomes?  If you are the coach of a basketball team and need very badly to score on a certain possession, would that shot be one of your choices?

[quote name="stevenash" post="1160924" timestamp="1326671210"]
[quote author=LUcardiac link=topic=94174.msg1160908#msg1160908 date=1326670192]

[/quote]

Then, in your opinion, any shot that goes through the net is a good one.  I can certainly understand that.    Would you agree that if this situation presents itself again to the same player in the same circumstances that the odds suggest the shot is not likely to go through the net?  If I am playing blackjack and draw two cards that total 20 and it beats the dealer, did I "play the hand" right or did the cards happen to appear in my favor?  Florida State just beat North Carolina 90-57 and they can certainly classify that as a "good" victory.  Do you believe that is what is to be expected or was it an abnormal exception when analyzing a large sample of likely outcomes?  [b]If you are the coach of a basketball team and need very badly to score on a certain possession, would that shot be one of your choices?[/b][/quote]
If there was one second left on the clock and the player was at half court then yes, that would be my choice. ;D

[quote name="stevenash" post="1160924" timestamp="1326671210"]
[quote author=LUcardiac link=topic=94174.msg1160908#msg1160908 date=1326670192]

[/quote]

Then, in your opinion, any shot that goes through the net is a good one.  I can certainly understand that.    Would you agree that if this situation presents itself again to the same player in the same circumstances that the odds suggest the shot is not likely to go
through the net?  If I am playing blackjack and draw two cards that total 20 and it beats the dealer, did I "play the hand" right or did the cards happen to appear in my favor?  Florida State just beat North Carolina 90-57 and they can certainly classify that as a "good" victory.  Do you believe that is what is to be expected or was it an abnormal exception when analyzing a large sample of likely outcomes?  If you are the coach of a basketball team and need very badly to score on a certain possession, would that shot be one of your choices?
[/quote]

Same guy that argued Silsbee fans predicting or expecting a 30 point win against HF was irrational despite a large sample of likely outcomes.

Same guy - yes.  If you take a very large sample of scores in all district games ( perhaps 1000 or more as opposed to what happened in the last game) I am still willing to bet that the average margin of victory is CONSIDERABLY less than 30 points. ( you know this already but in this case, will be unwilling to acknowledge)  It is also irrational to expect a 35-40 foot shot executed in the same manner as the one on Friday night to go through the net- (another point that you know but will also be unwilling to acknowledge)  This all began because some were saying that there was a large component of luck in that shot and I agree ( at the same time, I am NOT suggesting the victory was lucky and believe Silsbee would have had the advantage in overtime in spite of the late game momentum established by HJ)  If a golfer gets a hole in one, you can say it was a great shot, but there was more good fortune than normal and there is nothing you can say to alter that fact because it happens rarely just as the shot going in on Friday happens rarely.  If that shot was more skill than luck, then you are telling me that the shooter can make that shot a percentage of times somewhat close or similar to his overall field goal shooting percentage.  A very simple way to confirm my theory would be to take every shot attempted from a similar spot on the floor in the state this year.  How many do you believe are going in?

[quote name="ST413" post="1160888" timestamp="1326669171"]
Then they would have lost by two instead of three!
[/quote]
Maybe so.  Or maybe they would've stalled out the clock.  Anyway, Silsbee won.  I was wrong, I'm shocked by the loss, and I'm sure the HJ players will do all they can to give Silsbee a better run in-- hey, my man Nash, how many hours?

[quote name="stevenash" post="1160976" timestamp="1326675485"]
Same guy - yes.  If you take a very large sample of scores in all district games ( perhaps 1000 or more as opposed to what happened in the last game) I am still willing to bet that the average margin of victory is CONSIDERABLY less than 30 points. ( you know this already but in this case, will be unwilling to acknowledge)  It is also irrational to expect a 35-40 foot shot executed in the same manner as the one on Friday night to go through the net- (another point that you know but will also be unwilling to acknowledge)  This all began becaiouse some were saying that there was a large component of luck in that shot and I agree ( at the same time, I am NOT suggesting the victory was lucky and believe Silsbee would have had the advantage in overtime in spite of the late game momentum established by HJ)  If a golfer gets a hole in one, you can say it was a great shot, but there was more good fortune than normal and there is nothing you can say to alter that fact because it happens rarely just as the shot going in on Friday happens rarely.  If that shot was more skill than luck, then you are telling me that the shooter can make that shot a percentage of times somewhat close or similar to his overall field goal shooting percentage.  A very simple way to confirm my theory would be to take every shot attempted from a similar spot on the floor in the state this year.  How many do you believe are going in?
[/quote]

I contend, in head to head meetings, you should toss out what happened in district play and focus on the game at hand. Transitive property doesn't apply to sports.

[quote name="setxslam" post="1160983" timestamp="1326676775"]
[quote author=ST413 link=topic=94174.msg1160888#msg1160888 date=1326669171]
Then they would have lost by two instead of three!
[/quote]
Maybe so.  Or maybe they would've stalled out the clock.  Anyway, Silsbee won.  I was wrong, I'm shocked by the loss, and I'm sure the HJ players will do all they can to give Silsbee a better run in-- hey, my man Nash, how many hours?
[/quote]

Next game will be different and hopefully just as good..and if they would have stalled the Tigers would have fouled and.........

A lot of talk on the last shot being a good shot or a lucky shot,  I will say this.  It is a lot of luck but a better shooter will need a lot less luck than a not so good shooter.  And as far as not practicing it, well from listening to Rob on the replay he said it was shot from the Tiger head.  They can't truly practice that shot in that situation but I have seen these players at halftime of the jv game and other just shoot arounds shooting from those emblems.  That helps that luck factor a little too.  A little skill plus a good bit of luck and Zayon ended up being the hero.

[quote name="SHSTIGER" post="1160989" timestamp="1326677620"]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=94174.msg1160976#msg1160976 date=1326675485]
Same guy - yes.  If you take a very large sample of scores in all district games ( perhaps 1000 or more as opposed to what happened in the last game) I am still willing to bet that the average margin of victory is CONSIDERABLY less than 30 points. ( you know this already but in this case, will be unwilling to acknowledge)  It is also irrational to expect a 35-40 foot shot executed in the same manner as the one on Friday night to go through the net- (another point that you know but will also be unwilling to acknowledge)  This all began becaiouse some were saying that there was a large component of luck in that shot and I agree ( at the same time, I am NOT suggesting the victory was lucky and believe Silsbee would have had the advantage in overtime in spite of the late game momentum established by HJ)  If a golfer gets a hole in one, you can say it was a great shot, but there was more good fortune than normal and there is nothing you can say to alter that fact because it happens rarely just as the shot going in on Friday happens rarely.  If that shot was more skill than luck, then you are telling me that the shooter can make that shot a percentage of times somewhat close or similar to his overall field goal shooting percentage.  A very simple way to confirm my theory would be to take every shot attempted from a similar spot on the floor in the state this year.  How many do you believe are going in?
[/quote]

I contend, in head to head meetings, you should toss out what happened in district play and focus on the game at hand. Transitive property doesn't apply to sports.
[/quote]

Contend all you wish.  I contend that the shot that won the game is an extremely low percentage shot that is rarely successful. ( well proven and validated)People who predicted the 30 point Silsbee victory over HF last  year were basing much of their prediction on exactly the item you are saying should bear no relevance.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder