Coldspring-Oakhurst vs. West Orange-Stark

Trigger

[quote name="belle-mere" post="1133648" timestamp="1322505039"]
Great sportsmanlike posts skipper, kicker, Socrates, & KvilleKats. It was time for folks to quit beating their chests & take a deep breath. I'm wishing for an injury-free game, & I expect a hard fought but clean game from these two good football programs. I'll see you all in the stands Friday night!
[/quote]

A clean game it will be. Both teams are taught discipline. Don't have to worry there. i tell you what, playing Bullard and facing a team that played with respect and discipline was nice for a change. I really don't want to beat a dead horse, but CS is lucky they didn't hqve to play Columbus. HORRIBLE. Yall could have had a bad situation. I bet they would have tried their hardest to injure Gilbert. Sad but true. There is absolutly no reason to try to hurt a highschool kid. Some of these kids lives are at stake. I'm talking about scholarships, etc. It was bad.

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My question is can WOS defense stop Coldspring since they use wise or wing or w-bone spread (please correction which is right word)? They will change up alot which is hard to know where they will draw the ball to go. It will be very interesting game and for sure score will be low as well.
Go Mustangs!

wow, I have a hard time thinking we'll score that much. I believe we can get at least two td's up on the board, maybe a third, but we will not kick field goals, we'll go for it every time. Knowing wos's kicker has quite the boot I bet they'll kick field goals if they can't punch it in from the red zone. My prediction is 20 - 13 coldspring.

I wonder if wos believes in it's defense enough to go for the td in the redzone instead of just leaving with some points?    I ask this because our defense stiffens in the red zone, but you never know, this may be a moot question if they just score on the first three downs every time. Lord knows we miss about 3 opportunities every game to come away with some points, though.

[quote name="kicker" post="1133510" timestamp="1322496107"]
I agree with you. I believe all the stat and player talk is due to none of us having a clue to who has the edge. Seems to me this is probably one of the most even matchups in Texas. All the talk is for us fans to hqve something to do untill Friday. If you noticed, all the threads before this one when no one knew if this game would even happen, was a lot of smack and trash. This one is way different. Different in the fact that now the game is here, both teams fans, respect each others team. This is a toss up. I do believe this could be the state championship. I know were all excited for this game and win or lose, you know the kids will give it their all. This is why I love HS football.
[/quote]  Good post!  +2

[quote name="chs11" post="1133921" timestamp="1322523603"]
wow, I have a hard time thinking we'll score that much. I believe we can get at least two td's up on the board, maybe a third, but we will not kick field goals, we'll go for it every time. Knowing wos's kicker has quite the boot I bet they'll kick field goals if they can't punch it in from the red zone. My prediction is 20 - 13 coldspring.

I wonder if wos believes in it's defense enough to go for the td in the redzone instead of just leaving with some points?    I ask this because our defense stiffens in the red zone, but you never know, this may be a moot question if they just score on the first three downs every time. Lord knows we miss about 3 opportunities every game to come away with some points, though.
[/quote]

Great question. Seems like the redzone has been our nemesis all year long. For some reason, we have had problems punching it in. Even from the 2 at times. I.e. Nederland, Friendswood, and Giddings. Giddings was the worst. I believe we were in the redzone 6 times. And inside the 10 yard line each time. Seems CS has had similar problems. The more we talk about this game, the more it looks like teams that could change uniforms and not notice a difference.

[quote name="kicker" post="1133957" timestamp="1322525352"]
[quote author=chs11 link=topic=92269.msg1133921#msg1133921 date=1322523603]

[/quote]

Great question. Seems like the redzone has been our nemesis all year long. For some reason, we have had problems punching it in. Even from the 2 at times. I.e. Nederland, Friendswood, and Giddings. Giddings was the worst. I believe we were in the redzone 6 times. And inside the 10 yard line each time. Seems CS has had similar problems. The more we talk about this game, the more it looks like teams that could change uniforms and not notice a difference.
[/quote]

Most of their redzone problems early on was because of penalties that kept backing them up. They haven't really had redzone issues since district really.

I really don't think you can predict a score.  The reason why is you can't factor heart and determination.  Only the kids can do that.  This has got to be the game of the week at any level.  Should be lots of coverage from Houston.  Someone should call foxsports and tell them this is the DQ big game of the week.

[quote name="kicker" post="1133915" timestamp="1322523049"]
[quote author=dustoff03 link=topic=92269.msg1133894#msg1133894 date=1322520509]
Not that it matters, but the Massey ratings has this:

Coldspring-30  WOS-14
[/quote]

Wow, really? Is that the site that you type in the teams and site played?
[/quote]
YEP! Their predictions are a joke.

[quote name="dustoff03" post="1134009" timestamp="1322528761"]
[quote author=kicker link=topic=92269.msg1133915#msg1133915 date=1322523049]

Coldspring-30  WOS-14
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Do me a favor, type in the Katy/LaPorte game. I would like to see what they predicted prior to Katy losing 9-6 or whatever it was.

[quote name="kicker" post="1134020" timestamp="1322529698"]
[quote author=dustoff03 link=topic=92269.msg1134009#msg1134009 date=1322528761]

Coldspring-30  WOS-14
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Do me a favor, type in the Katy/LaPorte game. I would like to see what they predicted prior to Katy losing 9-6 or whatever it was.
[/quote]
33-14  Katy.Guess they were wrong again.

Raider do you really think WOS will score 54 points?? That's funny that's almost all we've giving up all year and you think they will reach that number in one game? No sir you can go right back to sleep and finish that dream cuz!! CS is only giving up 10 pts at the maximum!!

[quote name="dustoff03" post="1134037" timestamp="1322531193"]
[quote author=kicker link=topic=92269.msg1134020#msg1134020 date=1322529698]
[quote author=dustoff03 link=topic=92269.msg1134009#msg1134009 date=1322528761]

Coldspring-30  WOS-14
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
33-14  Katy.Guess they were wrong again.
[/quote]

You see, that's why i hate the BCS computers. Massey is a computation just like the BCS, minus the 2 thirds human vote, so how can they predict a national champion. A computer can never predict a human. Period!!!! Yes, I'm upset. My Cougars should get a chance to play LSU. I almost punched my radio Saturday while listening to an announcer. They were bragging on LSU being the only undefeated teL in the nation........Uhhh, don't think so.

Share tomorrows front page story in San Jacinto County News Time!
DEFENSE!
There is an old saying among football coaches, “Offense keeps you in a game and defense wins championships.” Coach
Barbay’s Trojans will attest to that in the last three play-off games, while the offense sputtered the defense carried the mail
-- Coldspring 7 and Bridge City 0, Coldspring 21 and Bellville 14 (OT) and the last nail chewing affair was Coldspring 13 and
Lorena 7. In the Bridge City win it took a 72-yard scoring run from Sherman Gilbert along with five sacks, three interceptions and one fumble recovery from the defense for the win. In the Bellville overtime win running back Gilbert was held to 56 yards rushing and one touchdown and the defense once again stood tall with three sacks, two interceptions and one fumble recovery. The win over Lorena was another defensive battle with Coldspring having to overcome five turnovers answered by recovering three Lorena fumbles and two pass interceptions with the last one coming in the last seconds of the game within yards of the Coldspring goal line. In pre-season comments Coach Barbay said, “When all is said and done we (Trojans) will be known for our defense.” Sporting the title of one of the best defensive teams in Texas 3-A, truer words were never spoken. The Trojan defense has shutout 6 opponents this season and only allowed 6.7 points per game. This week they face a tough West Orange-Stark team in Humble at 7:30 p.m.

John Nunn Sports Writter

[quote name="jnunn" post="1134080" timestamp="1322533797"]
Share tomorrows front page story in San Jacinto County News Time!
DEFENSE!
There is an old saying among football coaches, “Offense keeps you in a game and defense wins championships.” Coach
Barbay’s Trojans will attest to that in the last three play-off games, while the offense sputtered the defense carried the mail
-- Coldspring 7 and Bridge City 0, Coldspring 21 and Bellville 14 (OT) and the last nail bitter was Coldspring 13 and
Lorena 7. In the Bridge City win it took a 72-yard scoring run from Sherman Gilbert along with five sacks, three interceptions and one fumble recovery from the defense for the win. In the Bellville overtime win running back Gilbert was held to 56 yards rushing and one touchdown and the defense once again stood tall with three sacks, two interceptions and one fumble recovery. The win over Lorena was another defensive battle with Coldspring having to overcome five turnovers answered by recovering three Lorena fumbles and two pass interceptions with the last one coming in the last seconds of the game within yards of the Coldspring goal line. In pre-season comments Coach Barbay said, “When all is said and done we (Trojans) will be known for our defense.” Sporting the title of one of the best defensive teams in Texas 3-A, truer words were never spoken. The Trojan defense has shutout 6 opponents this season and only allowed 6.7 points per game. This week they face a tough West Orange-Stark team in Humble at 7:30 p.m.

John Nunn Sports Writter
[/quote]

Don't forget all the hits on the quarterback!!!

[quote name="kicker" post="1133957" timestamp="1322525352"]
[quote author=chs11 link=topic=92269.msg1133921#msg1133921 date=1322523603]

[/quote]

Great question. Seems like the redzone has been our nemesis all year long. For some reason, we have had problems punching it in. Even from the 2 at times. I.e. Nederland, Friendswood, and Giddings. Giddings was the worst. I believe we were in the redzone 6 times. And inside the 10 yard line each time. Seems CS has had similar problems. [u][b][b][b]The more we talk about this game, the more it looks like teams that could change uniforms and not notice a difference[/b][/b][/b][/u].
[/quote]

I actually thought the same thing.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder