Maybe a Playoff First!!

[quote name="mustangfan2" post="1107701" timestamp="1320682705"]
2-8 Kirbyville vs 3-7 Rusk is possibly the worst overall combined records in a playoff matchup.
[/quote]

I myself have agreed on that...How would you feel if it was your team.. would you tell the kids who have gave it all they have, Who may not be as talented,but has tried just as hard ..You can't go to the play-offs because your'e not D1 material,Your'e too sorry to go to the play-offs..etc... I don't think I could do that...Good Luck to all the local teams in the play-offs whether they are the best or the worst...JMO

I just don't like the fact that in some cases, all a team has to do is win 1 district game to qualify for the playoffs. A team with a losing district record should not be going to the playoffs!!!

Now a losing overall record is not so bad. Example: Say Silsbee went 0-5 in non-district but then went 3-2 in district, qualifying for the playoffs. That would put them at 3-7 overall. I would have no problem with any team qualifying under those circumstances.

I think the UIL should consider cutting back on the amount of teams qualifying or make some of these 4,5, and 6 team districts bigger so that it would eliminate the "one district win" teams from making the playoffs. 3 out of 4, 3 out of 5, 4 out of 5, and 4 out of 6 team districts qualifying is a joke! A team should be at least .500 in district to qualify. EARN IT!!!!

[quote name="Kville_Kats" post="1107722" timestamp="1320683537"]
[quote author=mustangfan2 link=topic=91100.msg1107701#msg1107701 date=1320682705]
2-8 Kirbyville vs 3-7 Rusk is possibly the worst overall combined records in a playoff matchup.
[/quote]

I myself have agreed on that...How would you feel if it was your team.. would you tell the kids who have gave it all they have, Who may not be as talented,but has tried just as hard ..You can't go to the play-offs because your'e not D1 material,Your'e too sorry to go to the play-offs..etc... I don't think I could do that...Good Luck to all the local teams in the play-offs whether they are the best or the worst...JMO
[/quote]

So based off of that. Then district play shouldn't count. The UIL should extend football playoffs 4 weeks or so and allow EVERY team in the playoffs so that no one gets their feelings hurt. It makes no sense. So all the adults who played football before the UIL changed to 3 or 4 teams per district were told that they can't go to the playoffs because they weren't D1 material, or that they were too sorry? Interesting I never would have known that!! Thanks for the info!!

[quote name="Kville_Kats" post="1107722" timestamp="1320683537"]
[quote author=mustangfan2 link=topic=91100.msg1107701#msg1107701 date=1320682705]
[/quote]

[/quote]You know some times life just suxs, and no madder how hard you work, sometimes your just not good enough. And sometimes other teams are just better, doesnt mean that they worked any harded, there just sometime better. But letting a one win team is just a joke to the playoffs.

[quote name="jmoore" post="1107707" timestamp="1320682938"]
Which is exactly why there should not be 3 or 4 teams per district allowed into the playoffs. It is ridiculous. But guess that's the society these days, have to make sure that even the person who finishes 17th in a race gets a trophy and a ribbon.
[/quote]

Bet then you have a team like WOS go 8-2 and miss the playoffs on point spread.

[quote name="jmoore" post="1107707" timestamp="1320682938"]
Which is exactly why there should not be 3 or 4 teams per district allowed into the playoffs. It is ridiculous. But guess that's the society these days, have to make sure that even the person who finishes 17th in a race gets a trophy and a ribbon.
[/quote]

very well said!!

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1107731" timestamp="1320683941"]
I just don't like the fact that in some cases, all a team has to do is win 1 district game to qualify for the playoffs. [b]A team with a losing district record should not be [/b] [b]going to the playoffs!!! [/b]
Now a losing overall record is not so bad. Example: Say Silsbee went 0-5 in non-district but then went 3-2 in district, qualifying for the playoffs. That would put them at 3-7 overall. I would have no problem with any team qualifying under those circumstances.

I think the UIL should consider cutting back on the amount of teams qualifying or make some of these 4,5, and 6 team districts bigger so that it would eliminate the "one district win" teams from making the playoffs. 3 out of 4, 3 out of 5, 4 out of 5, and 4 out of 6 team districts qualifying is a joke! A team should be at least .500 in district to qualify. EARN IT!!!!
[/quote]

Could not agree more.....seems to be a trend any many facets of society these days.. sad.

[quote name="EAGLE07" post="1109253" timestamp="1320786207"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=91100.msg1107731#msg1107731 date=1320683941]
I just don't like the fact that in some cases, all a team has to do is win 1 district game to qualify for the playoffs. [b]A team with a losing district record should not be [/b] [b]going to the playoffs!!! [/b]

[/quote]

Could not agree more.....seems to be a trend any many facets of society these days.. sad.
[/quote]

+1

[quote name="BADSANTA" post="1109496" timestamp="1320800534"]
2-8 vs 3-7 is one wack game but suppose one of those schools gets on a roll and goes 4 rounds deep.
[/quote]
And suppose the teams in the other division that beat them in district become one and done due to a tougher bracket.

I think there is some ups and downs to the play off system probably to many not so good teams in the play offs but it also gives strong districts the opportunity to send good teams to the play offs.
When I was a senior in high school only the district champs went to the play offs we had a 9-1 season and was beat by the state champions that year by 7 points and we didnt get to play a single play off game

[quote name="Bobcat05" post="1109674" timestamp="1320808163"]
What's it hurting?  Just curious..
[/quote]

As Syndrome said, "Everyone can be super! And when everyone's super, [laughs maniacally] no-one will be".

On another level the purpose of the playoffs is to provide a method to find the best team, [i]the[/i] best, anything that delays that process is just foolishness. There will be variables along the way, and some exceptions to rules where a 1-x or 2-x team may win a game or two, but the odds of that team impacting the FINAL outcome of finding THE best team is nil. Heaven forbid that a team with a legitimate shot suffers an injury along the way that may really have an impact while playing "extra" games that wouldn't exist if 3 and 4 teams per district weren't in the playoffs.

If you don't subscribe to that philosophy and believe the playoffs are a good way to expose more young men and women to a "playoff atmosphere" then I guess it may make sense, but lets not delude ourselves into believing its about more than anything but money for the ones who decide, or that thats necessarily healthy. And in this day of stretched resources, for schools and parents, that really doesn't make much sense.

And in the conspiracy department, maybe its UIL's way to equalize the playing field for the start of basketball so nobody gets a "big jump" while the competition is out playing deep into the playoffs..I'm just rambling, I don't really know anything about it, its just my opinion..

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin