PNG vs Nederland poll question

football04

Should the PNG - Nederland game be played @ Lamar U.  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Should the PNG - Nederland game be played @ Lamar U.

• YES
    • NO

Just curious how many people would actually like to see this game played in front of a 20,000+ standing room only crowd. This game is in the top 5 rivalry games in the state and with a little PR work could be the biggest, and if it was moved to saturday would attract fans from all over southeast Texas and possably be shown live across the state.

For those of you who voted no, why would you be against it. just curious, lets have some of your thoughts on the subject. On the other thread ndnsrock44 said he for it because alot of people that want to see the game can't get tickets to the game. If it is just season ticket holders opposed you could work around that and give them first option when tickets go on sale before the season starts.

Guest Pirate_pride_07
[quote name="PNGFan" post="1068292" timestamp="1317226847"]
The game just would've have the same meaning if played anywhere else but PNG or Ned.
[/quote]
I agree.

[quote name="football04" post="1068255" timestamp="1317223307"]
Just curious how many people would actually like to see this game played in front of a 20,000+ standing room only crowd. This game is in the top 5 rivalry games in the state and with a little PR work could be the biggest, and if it was moved to saturday would attract fans from all over southeast Texas and possably be shown live across the state.
[/quote]

I'm sure I'll take some heat for this reply, but I'll let it fly anyway.

If you wear purple & white or black & gold this game means everything, but if you don't...it's just another southeast Texas game.
If it was played on Saturday I would probably go, but I'd go if it was some other southeast Texas teams too just to see good high school football.
It is a great rivalry for your schools, but has very little meaning except for the district standings outside of your communities.

[quote name="Slam14" post="1068307" timestamp="1317228096"]
[quote author=football04 link=topic=88977.msg1068255#msg1068255 date=1317223307]
[/quote]

I'm sure I'll take some heat for this reply, but I'll let it fly anyway.

If you wear purple & white or black & gold this game means everything, but if you don't...it's just another southeast Texas game.
If it was played on Saturday I would probably go, but I'd go if it was some other southeast Texas teams too just to see good high school football.
It is a great rivalry for your schools, but has very little meaning except for the district standings outside of your communities.
[/quote]  For those other fans who would show up just because it is a good high school game, they would quickly see how the electrifying a mid county madness game can be, it's the fans that make this game what it is and it has room to grow, lots of people don't go because they can't get a ticket

An alternative to moving the game away from the home and home. And the alternative would also having the effect of allowing more fans to witness the game.  This game would be HUGE if televised.  Of course, though, that can't happen because the game is on Friday.

What if instead of moving the site, you move the date.  Make this a Saturday game, which would allow one of the local stations or perhaps a national network to broadcast the game which allow MANY to witness it.

Football04..no offense taken. The reason to televise or move the game to Lamar is not to attract local fans of other teams. There are A LOT of PNG and ned fans that are not able to get tickets that would love to be able to be part of this experience. For the record, I am a season ticket holder and have been for many years, so this does not benefit me. I just hate that there will be a lot of broken hearts this Friday night because they wont be able to go to the game.

There is a bigger non football issue with moving the game. This year PNG will only have four home games. When a game is played at Lamar or any other stadium your groups that depend on concession money get none of it the stadium does. Many of these groups fund non football scholarships so you would take 25% of there game funds from them.

[quote name="dawgnut" post="1068358" timestamp="1317233685"]
There is a bigger non football issue with moving the game. This year PNG will only have four home games. When a game is played at Lamar or any other stadium your groups that depend on concession money get none of it the stadium does. Many of these groups fund non football scholarships so you would take 25% of there game funds from them.
[/quote]
You can supplement it by having a fund raiser. I say have a festival and charge people $5 to take an ax and get a few whacks at the PNG totem pole.

[quote name="vidor96pirates" post="1068377" timestamp="1317235187"]
Moving it away from PNG or Nederland would take away from home field advantage. I would keep it at their stadiums.
[/quote]I dont' believe that there is a home field advantage in this game.(except for money earned)

I'm sure this has been considered before. I doubt either school wants the loss in revenue. If Lamar would consider donating their facility and concession revenue I believe everyone might be in favor of a Saturday game. In all fairness Ozen played all their home games at Lamar for years. Don't know if money changed hands from BISD for that honor. If not for the financial implications imo it would be a good idea.

Always been in favor of moving the game to Lamar, the cost/benefit will work itself out over the years.  Larger crowd, better atmosphere, more exposure for the kids, etc.  Saturday night Mid-County Madness = too many positives to pass up.  I love playing at home, really don't like playing in Nederland.  I'm sure the pups don't like coming to our house either.  All that being said, PNG 27 Ned 17. 

All of you make good pionts, but as far as revenue, there is always a way to make up revenue when we put our minds to it. The difference in attendance is huge, possibly 7,000+, that's equall to another home side @ PNG, there is alot of revenue right there. You could also, if the game was on saturday, have the different organizations set up booths out side the stadium and sell things there, I don't think any of you realize how big this game could be or how much revenue it could generate with sponsers and possible TV money kicked in.  An additional 7,000 seats @ $5.oo a seat is an extra $35,000, this is not chump change.

[quote name="coach pops" post="1068383" timestamp="1317235522"]
I'm sure this has been considered before. I doubt either school wants the loss in revenue. If Lamar would consider donating their facility and concession revenue I believe everyone might be in favor of a Saturday game. In all fairness Ozen played all their home games at Lamar for years. Don't know if money changed hands from BISD for that honor. If not for the financial implications imo it would be a good idea.
[/quote]
  LU would not have to donate the facility, but make it affordable and with the increase in ticket sales the revenue difference could be overcome easily.

I think the bottom line would be this, schools are losing staff and operating budget every year so to take on a large major event such as this would require more people to administer. If an outside group were to take on this project and make it a financial plus for the schools and groups then I don't know why anyone would have a real objection. The PTA and other groups give a lot of scholarships to students and they talk real ugly to administrators that try and take that away, after all it is for the students who want to further their education!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder