Playing Seniors on JV

insidetrap

Guest Pirate_pride_07
I'd say let it be there choice. If they wanna forfeit that jacket to get some playing time on jv then its there choice but if they wanna be on varsity and ride the bench and play maybe 5 minutes out of the season and get there jacket then its there choice.

But Vidor doesn't allow it unless UIL comes into play with the transfer rule or whatever.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1063027" timestamp="1316752401"]
I always thought it was against UIL rules for seniors to play JV ball.
[/quote]

Couldn't find anything in the UIL rules about it specifically, just describes the general requirements for eligibility to play in UIL activities.

Seems to be a coaches choice.

There is no rule from the UIL about a senior on Junior Varsity.  IF the kid has not done anything in your program the first 3 years of high school, dang straight put him on JV.  I know of a few kids that have done this just to get a jacket.  Is that fair to those kids that have busted their butts for 4 years, or even the JV guys that have been there the whole time, to see a senior just get placed on Varsity, just because he is a senior?  I don't think so.  They should have to do the work to get a varsity spot.

We've got kids that will NEVER sniff the field on friday night, so the header asks them if they'd like to play on thurs night...if they do then he lets them play & then he lets them dress out on friday night & they assume their spot on the sideline...if not, then they dress out friday night & be seen...personally I like it...gives the kid a chance to get on the field & actually play...unfortunately, some kids don't want to play, they just want to be seen on the sidelines wearing a uniform on friday night.

Guest ECBucFan
[quote name="Medina County" post="1063105" timestamp="1316778993"]
IF the kid has not done anything in your program the first 3 years of high school, dang straight put him on JV. [/quote]

Then that kid shouldn't be in the program period, if you are referring to their effort.

Any kid, even one with ZERO TALENT should be on Varsity as a Senior, if they put their work in.

BUCfan we are on the same page here.  I think you might have mis-interpreted the way it was written.  I have seen seniors that do not play sports at all their first 3 years, want to come out their senior year so they can be on Varsity.  Also BUCfan, you know who I am.  You watched me play sports in HS and coach at my previous school.

Guest ECBucFan
I did misinterpret. I took it as meaning someone who simply couldn't produce for the team due to lacking of talent, but did pay their dues workwise through the years. With any reasonable effort and participation, I believe all Seniors should be on Varsity. Of course I know who you are, good luck out in Natalia, J. C.    8)

BTW, you probably know this already, Stan Howard coached in D'Hanis before coming to EC. 

I have no problem with seniors playing on JV.  In most cases the head coach will reward his players, as long as they have been a part of the program, by putting them on varsity for their senior year.  But there are times that the senior may choose to be on the JV team in order to get more playing time.  There is nothing wrong with this.  Some kids would rather play the game instead of standing on the sidelines every Friday night. 

Come to find out in Tapps juniors and below can play on thursday night and friday night.  Seniors can not play on jv though.
They can not play on the side of the ball that they start on jv level but can play the other side of the ball.  If a kid is a starting LB but doesn't play on offense he can come out and play running back on thursday and then suit up and play LB on friday night, but no seniors.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin