Justin Thomas of WOS ruled ineligible

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with an earlier poster as this happens a lot with 19 yr olds. If a kid was held back a year in school prior to attending high school he would probably be 19 at some point during the football season. Once you make it to high school you only have four years of eligibility.

Now, I do find it difficult to believe a soon to be 20 yr old didn't know his correct age.

[quote name="bigred360" post="1044585" timestamp="1314702894"]
I agree with an earlier poster as this happens a lot with 19 yr olds. If a kid was held back a year in school prior to attending high school he would probably be 19 at some point during the football season. Once you make it to high school you only have four years of eligibility.

Now, I do find it difficult to believe a soon to be 20 yr old didn't know his correct age.
[/quote]

how do you miss years of dates marked out in black marker?

wow, nevermind

I was hoping that when the story came out that it would clear it all up.  For those that commented the BE article cleared it up either are just hoping it goes away or dont get it anyway.  Why would you wait till after week zero to check elgibility? Black markers? DOB's marked out and hand written in? A 19 year old not know how old he is?  Come on people?  This just gave fuel to the fire of people wanting to bash the program.  I was hoping to clear the water not put more mudd in it!!

[quote name="rykerx144" post="1044616" timestamp="1314706890"]
wow, nevermind

I was hoping that when the story came out that it would clear it all up.  For those that commented the BE article cleared it up either are just hoping it goes away or dont get it anyway.  Why would you wait till after week zero to check elgibility? Black markers? DOB's marked out and hand written in? A 19 year old not know how old he is?  Come on people?  This just gave fuel to the fire of people wanting to bash the program.  I was hoping to clear the water not put more mudd in it!!
[/quote]

Man, you didn't get my post. Do you know your age? I know mine and I'm a lot older than 20. I'd never bashed WO-S as several family members attended the school. Heck, I even tried to get my younger brother to move in with me as I lived in the WO-S school district at Oakwood Village Apts and transfer to WO-S but he wouldn't do it.

I also tried to talking my parents in holding back my brother in 8th grade as his birthday is Sept. 28th. I had my father talked into it but my mom and brother were against the idea.

Hope this clears the air.

Gas...not worried about kids playing against 19-yr-old SENIORS, but a 19-yr-old JUNIOR is something else, especially if it wouldn't have been caught this year, an a 20-yr-old was allowed to play....it was just a concern...as far as WOS coach, great job for him doing the RIGHT THING.  Oh if only everyone did the RIGHT THING all the time!!!

[quote name="Roughrider" post="1044571" timestamp="1314694274"]
::) How do you not know how old you are?
[/quote]
I thought it was funny when the coach said he really believed the kid thought he was really 18 years old. You tell a lie long enough I guess you start to believe it!!!

if your going to run a program that is regulated by the UIL that is so strict on deadlines, regulations, and specific requirements then you need a system that does not even give the opportunity to a student to be able to lie to you about his age intentionally or on accident I dont care how good of a kid he is. 

Got to agree with Ryker on this one.  My math may be bad but somehow getting held back 1 year means you turn 19 your senior year.  Not knowing your own age, blacked out birthdates....something doesn't smell right.  Quite a difference in the maturity level of a 19 year old versus a 17 year old....

[quote name="rykerx144" post="1044671" timestamp="1314712568"]
[quote author=77 link=topic=87395.msg1044663#msg1044663 date=1314711973]
Never played a down dont see a prob. here.
[/quote]

::) ::) ::)

i sure miss them smileys with eyes that actually rolled!  LOL
[/quote]
Yea....but I sure do like this one! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

[quote name="the sports guy" post="1044684" timestamp="1314713687"]
[quote author=rykerx144 link=topic=87395.msg1044671#msg1044671 date=1314712568]
[quote author=77 link=topic=87395.msg1044663#msg1044663 date=1314711973]
[/quote]

::) ::) ::)

i sure miss them smileys with eyes that actually rolled!  LOL
[/quote]
Yea....but I sure do like this one! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
[/quote]Good thing coach T came along and caught this on his first yr. as ad. ;D

[quote name="77" post="1044663" timestamp="1314711973"]
[/quote]

I don't either.  And the problem was caught when a Coach Thompson-ordered review of records to ensure eligibility was being conducted.  A student was found to be ineligible, Coach insisted that player provide proof of his actual age.  When neither the player nor his family was able to do so, Coach Thompson, not only as football coach but as athletic director, declared this young man ineligible to participate in UIL sporting events.  A young man which, by the way, was eligible under UIL rules to participate last year.

Believe me, I too have wondered how a deception could not have been caught before this past week.  I even asked about this but an old friend here who had two children go through a school district in mid-county, and had at least one of those children play in UIL sports at the high school level in that school district, told me that after first grade that district never required proof of the children's age.  We'd probably be shocked at all of the times a coach unwittingly allowed a player who he thought with all sincerity was eligible on the field of play.  Fortunately, this is not one of those times.

I think that people are missing a big point in that EVERY student/athlete that is participating in a extra curricular activity in the state of Texas has to be approved annually by the UIL.  Whether eligibility is checked in spring or fall or day of the first contest is solely up to those running the program.  Possibly in all the changes made in the Athletic dept at WOS this past spring there could easily been an oversight in not checking eligibility in the spring and instead waiting so late.  However, the young man in question, as well as coaches and WOS school district have done nothing wrong.  Just because some people feel like it was not caught at the correct time of the year does not make this situation shady or false.  EVERY school has the same requirements.  Coach Thompson and Coach Hooks did nothing more or less than any other coach at any other program.  THAT IS BECAUSE IT IS A REQUIREMENT!!!  STATE WIDE!!!  Also I can assure you that at every school in this state there are student/athletes that are participating that are 19 years old.  For one to be 19 as a senior would mean that he or she failed or was held back one time in there school career.  That is VERY common. 

[quote name="bigred360" post="1044585" timestamp="1314702894"]

[/quote]Plus he has a late birthday, making him double grade exception

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1044788" timestamp="1314719645"]
[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=87395.msg1044585#msg1044585 date=1314702894]

[/quote]Plus he has a late birthday, making him double grade exception
[/quote]

I suppose He's a little young for Alzheimers... ;D ;D