Justin Thomas of WOS ruled ineligible

[quote name="The Old Ball Coach" post="1044800" timestamp="1314721013"]
Did he play on the 7on7 team, and if so didnt they make it to the state tournament. He would have been an ineligible player then.
[/quote]Its possible he could have gotten an age requirement waiver from  UIL during that time.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="The Old Ball Coach" post="1044800" timestamp="1314721013"]
Did he play on the 7on7 team, and if so didnt they make it to the state tournament. He would have been an ineligible player then.
[/quote]

7 on 7 is not a UIL sanctioned sport. Do not know the requirements to play that sport.

If you are a WOS fan and you can't admit that this is very shady, you need to take off those Blue and Silver shaded glasses!
I love the statement that he is going to try and graduate early! EARLY???

WOS may not have known for sure, but this kid and his family knew! He also has some younger siblings in the district, bet they know their ages.

[quote name="77" post="1044839" timestamp="1314724155"]
How can you say its shady when the right thing was done, there was no cover up and he never stepped on the field this season?
[/quote]
Did he practice? Have equipment issued to him? He was mentioned in papers and magazines? The statement about his DOB being blacked out? A physical performed and paperwork filled out? Just glad the coach took care of it. There are probably some question marks, but it being a small school people probably think they would keep track maybe better then a program that has let's say 400 kids in 9-12th playing. It's odd to me also.

[quote name="VPirate" post="1044634" timestamp="1314708940"]
Someone intentionally changed the birth date whether they thought they were correcting the information or not. One question I have..... I know the forms are filled out yearly, but doesn't the student have to produce a birth certificate at some point to confirm his/her age?
[/quote]

I have had two kids who have graduated and a third that is a senior and I haven't had to produce a birth certificate since they started kindergarten. 

I would imagine that after this event that if your child wants to play sports if you don't have a certified copy of his or her birth certificate, you'd better get one.  If districts aren't checking those for their athletes already, they will be now.

[quote name="Cheermom4" post="1045023" timestamp="1314733600"]
[quote author=VPirate link=topic=87395.msg1044634#msg1044634 date=1314708940]
Someone intentionally changed the birth date whether they thought they were correcting the information or not. One question I have..... I know the forms are filled out yearly, but doesn't the student have to produce a birth certificate at some point to confirm his/her age?
[/quote]

I have had two kids who have graduated and a third that is a senior and I haven't had to produce a birth certificate since they started kindergarten.
[/quote]

Question, did these children of yours attend the same school district from K-12? If so, then the school records would reflect their age from the birth certificate that was produced when they started kindergarten. It would also reflect if any of your children either missed a year, failed a year, or even possibly skipped a year.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1045028" timestamp="1314733996"]
[quote author=Cheermom4 link=topic=87395.msg1045023#msg1045023 date=1314733600]
[quote author=VPirate link=topic=87395.msg1044634#msg1044634 date=1314708940]
[/quote]

Yes they have attended the same school district their whole lives.

[/quote]

Question, did these children of yours attend the same school district from K-12? If so, then the school records would reflect their age from the birth certificate that was produced when they started kindergarten. It would also reflect if any of your children either missed a year, failed a year, or even possibly skipped a year.
[/quote]

We've seen stuff simular in the news before, a kid playin in the little league world series @15.It happens and coaches are not aware sometimes.I agree we've all gotten educated on the rules and forthcoming this can be corrected sooner before a uh oh does happen.This case curiosity got the AD to double check and took appropiate measures until proof was brought forward.Kudos to Coach Thompson.Being a former coach for yrs I did my best on/off the playing field.I don't know why a parent or a kid would take a chance that could ruin alot of others hard work.Now get that diploma kid,make us proud you didn't quit and always Believe.Look fwd.to seeing your name among others on National signing day,nomally 1st wed.in Febuary 2012 ;)

[quote name="77" post="1044839" timestamp="1314724155"]
How can you say its shady when the right thing was done, there was no cover up and he never stepped on the field this season?
[/quote]
It's shady...Maybe not on the part of the school as it appears Coach T made the right moves, but the shadyness lies with the parents and the young man. Anyone here with children not know their birthdate?

[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=87395.msg1045013#msg1045013 date=1314732944]
I can see the oversight and finding the problem out now.  Surely he knows his age but maybe he didn't know the rules
[/quote]

Article says he told Coach T he was 18.

[quote name="badndn" post="1045095" timestamp="1314739015"]
[quote author=77 link=topic=87395.msg1044839#msg1044839 date=1314724155]
[/quote]
It's shady...Maybe not on the part of the school as it appears Coach T made the right moves, but the shadyness lies with the parents and the young man. Anyone here with children not know their birthdate?

[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=87395.msg1045013#msg1045013 date=1314732944]
I can see the oversight and finding the problem out now.  Surely he knows his age but maybe he didn't know the rules
[/quote]

Article says he told Coach T he was 18.
[/quote]Just trying to find a benefit to the doubt ;D

[quote name="badndn" post="1044821" timestamp="1314722941"]
If you are a WOS fan and you can't admit that this is very shady, you need to take off those Blue and Silver shaded glasses!

WOS may not have known for sure, but this kid and his family knew! He also has some younger siblings in the district, bet they know their ages.
[/quote]

watch it..

[quote name="badndn" post="1044821" timestamp="1314722941"]

[/quote]

Actually, I don't believe that he has younger siblings as he is the youngest!  "Almost" decent point though.

[quote name="dreski" post="1045268" timestamp="1314757041"]
i am his age.. and i've been outta school 5 yrs.. can't imagine how this guy feels.. my only issue is them sayin they believe he didn't know how old he really was..
[/quote]

You mean to tell me that you just turned 20 and have been out of school for 5 years? Did you graduate when you were 15?

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1045270" timestamp="1314757153"]
[quote author=dreski link=topic=87395.msg1045268#msg1045268 date=1314757041]
i am his age.. and i've been outta school 5 yrs.. can't imagine how this guy feels.. my only issue is them sayin they believe he didn't know how old he really was..
[/quote]

You mean to tell me that you just turned 20 and have been out of school for 5 years? Did you graduate when you were 15?
[/quote]

i was actually 16.. i didn't mean his EXACT age, close enough

not putting the guy down, it takes hella courage imo to stick it out an finish school. glad to see he's doing so and moving on to a great d-1 institution, that gets lost in there. i'd never wish bad on anyone.. been thru enough in my own life.. i understand struggles.. i juss don't like the comments made in the article.. and i can't imagine having to live this situation out, especially in the eye of the public.. however i don't condone lying. and imo there's no way he didn't know his age. however i can see why he lied, but i dont understand why the coach would say he doesn't think jt knows how old he is.. that, to me is an insult to that young man.. i do however commend coach t for doing the right thing once he found out what was going on..

I don't know the coach, the athlete or the athlete's family, so I cannot comment on where the whole thing went south; however, I do have common sense.  If anyone out there disputes something weird was INTENTIONALLY going on, then you need to have your head checked.  It would be interesting to know who coached the boy (family/coach/himself/whomever) to give the incorrect age.  It would also be very interesting to know who marked through the dates in the SCHOOL/COACHES RECORDS!  Believe me...all we are lacking is the smoking gun.  Hope WOS has a good season without him, as I am sure they will.  I also hope this kid puts this mess behind him amnd uses it as a lesson that lying/cheating/selective memory can get you in trouble.

Do we really need the smoking gun at this point??  My respect for Coach T has grown 110% in the past few days.  My hats off to him for cleaning things up.  Its not going to do any good to point fingers at this point.  The bottom line is the that the guilty party is no longer part of the program.  Whether it be the student, the parents, or the previous administration (which alot of you are alluding too but scared to just come out and say it) it doesnt matter because none of them are associated with the program anymore.  Again, hats off to ya Coach T, the kids and that program are lucky to have you on board now and you are without a doubt the right man for that job.  kudos!!