Justin Thomas of WOS ruled ineligible

[quote name="ECBucFan" post="1044372" timestamp="1314667443"]
[quote author=BADSANTA link=topic=87395.msg1044288#msg1044288 date=1314662185]
Why is a 20 year old in High School? [/quote]

I agree. It would seem to me to be a liability issue for the WO-S district. Not good mixing 20 year olds with 14-15 year olds.
[/quote]

You would be surprised how many 19 and 20 year olds are in high school.

I know that special needs students are allowed to attend high school until they are 21.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ECBucFan
[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1044377" timestamp="1314667571"]
[quote author=ECBucFan link=topic=87395.msg1044372#msg1044372 date=1314667443]
[quote author=BADSANTA link=topic=87395.msg1044288#msg1044288 date=1314662185]
Why is a 20 year old in High School? [/quote]

I agree. It would seem to me to be a liability issue for the WO-S district. Not good mixing 20 year olds with 14-15 year olds.
[/quote]

You would be surprised how many 19 and 20 year olds are in high school.
[/quote]

Probably depends to a large degree [i]what[/i] school we are talking about. 

He's 20 years old which is allowable in Texas. He's not participating in athletics and WOS is not breaking any rules. He's working towards his high school diploma in preparation for a full scholarship to a great college. 

What's the problem?

WOW...so my 15-yr-old son, who was a sophomore last year, was playing against a 19-yr-old!!???  No wonder why WOS has been on top for so long.  I'm just wondering why it took so long for it to come up this year.  Last year should have been it for him, and those at WOS knew that!!!!

[quote name="stardt" post="1044414" timestamp="1314670136"]
WOW...so my 15-yr-old son, who was a sophomore last year, was playing against a 19-yr-old!!???  No wonder why WOS has been on top for so long.  I'm just wondering why it took so long for it to come up this year.  Last year should have been it for him, and those at WOS knew that!!!!
[/quote]

Last year WAS it for him... So what's the problem? And if your son plays varsity, I'd be willing to be he's already played against a 19 yr old or two this year. It's way more common than you think.

And as for you comment about WOS knowing it, they had no idea until Friday... I'll leave it at that.

[quote name="mat" post="1044412" timestamp="1314669708"]
He's 20 years old which is allowable in Texas. He's not participating in athletics and WOS is not breaking any rules. He's working towards his high school diploma in preparation for a full scholarship to a great college. 

What's the problem?
[/quote]

No problem, other than why wasn't this issue resolved this past spring? Why let this get to the first week of the football season then declare him ineligible? He was ineligible for this season on Sept. 15th of last year. Also, why state that the reasons he was missing scrimmages and the first game was due to injury?

It just leads one to think that some folks (and I am not suggesting it were coaches) was willing to risk the Mustangs football season.

Thomas became ineligible for this year the day he ran his last race at the state track meet this past May.

[quote name="Gasilla" post="1044428" timestamp="1314671076"]
[quote author=stardt link=topic=87395.msg1044414#msg1044414 date=1314670136]
[/quote]

Last year WAS it for him... So what's the problem? And if your son plays varsity, I'd be willing to be he's already played against a 19 yr old or two this year. It's way more common than you think.

[b]And as for you comment about WOS knowing it, they had no idea until Friday... I'll leave it at that.[/b]
[/quote]

Gas, I agree with that statement. But JT and his parents had to know.

Stardt, you are trying to make this an issue with the school. AAW is not.

AAW, I agree with you, but that is another ball of wax that don't need to get plastered all over this site. All that matters is that WOS found out in time and did what they needed to. The rest really doesn't matter at this point.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1044437" timestamp="1314671728"]
[quote author=rykerx144 link=topic=87395.msg1044435#msg1044435 date=1314671611]
does he actually have an injury?
[/quote]

I don't know. He could have and at least that was what I was told when I asked why he hadn't played in the scrimmages.

But him being injured is irrelevant now.
[/quote]

I dont think so, I think it very relevant.  If he is not injured then why did they allow the media to associate him with the team for this long and if he is injured and that is what has sidelined him, then would we even be having this conversation if he was still healthy? 

[quote name="rykerx144" post="1044453" timestamp="1314672294"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=87395.msg1044437#msg1044437 date=1314671728]
[quote author=rykerx144 link=topic=87395.msg1044435#msg1044435 date=1314671611]
does he actually have an injury?
[/quote]

I don't know. He could have and at least that was what I was told when I asked why he hadn't played in the scrimmages.

But him being injured is irrelevant now.
[/quote]

I dont think so, I think it very relevant.  If he is not injured then why did they allow the media to associate him with the team for this long and if he is injured and that is what has sidelined him, then would we even be having this conversation if he was still healthy?
[/quote]

Good point. I do know that the media only found out about him being ineligible today.

[quote name="Gasilla" post="1044441" timestamp="1314671827"]
Stardt, you are trying to make this an issue with the school. AAW is not.

AAW, I agree with you, but that is another ball of wax that don't need to get plastered all over this site. All that matters is that WOS found out in time and did what they needed to. The rest really doesn't matter at this point.
[/quote]

Gas,  I disagree with ya and it has nothing to do with wanting to make it an issue with the school.  The fact is, It already is an issue with the school.    I have no reason to think that anyone with the program or coach has done anything wrong or ever intended too.  I disagree with the theory of leaving that ball of wax alone and hoping that everyone is just satisfied with that answer.  The school found out and done what it needed too and the rest really doesnt matter.  The problem with that is that leaves these questions that everyone will have:
What exactly did the school know?  Was he really injured? Would he have played if not injured?  If its true and school had no ideal, then how did a 19 slip through the cracks and almost destroy everything? 
My thinking is that if the school does not address these questions and answer them then everyone will assume their own answers to these questions and that is not what this programs needs at this point trying to start a new post Hooks era. 

[quote name="dodiej" post="1044511" timestamp="1314676258"]
Deleted by admin
[/quote]

If WOS was so full of BS then why did they declare the kid ineligible? Remember, he didn't play when he was 20, he played when he was 19... it happens a lot. If you don't want your lil bro playing against 18 and 19 yr olds then better tell mommy and daddy not to let him play on the varsity as a Sophomore.

...and I'm sorry, but there is nothing to "play out". The kid isn't playing, when he did, he was eligible to play.

And, it's absolutely RIDICULOUS for someone to insinuate that this situation had anything to do with Dan retiring.