Ford Park Fall BB, NO SELECT???

Guest 12USelect

Guest 12USelect
My understanding from reading Jason Tyner's posts and ads, there were to be no Select Teams for fall ball this year at Ford Park.  I found one team (Astro's in 11/12 level) that have 90% Elite level players. Also the Giants are almost all Elite players and others.. Are they going to play only teams at their level? Or, decimate the teams with league mostly non-All Star non-select players. Lets be fair and give the kids a real chance. 

First off if you are going to put my name in your post, I would appreciate it if you put your name at the bottom and not hide behind a screen name.  Secondly, your information on those two teams is incorrect.  Thirdly, 95% of both of those teams are 10 year olds about to turn 11, in an 11-12 year old division.

I would be happy to  refund your money. 

[quote name="12USelect" post="1043911" timestamp="1314631618"]
My understanding from reading Jason Tyner's posts and ads, there were to be no Select Teams for fall ball this year at Ford Park.  I found one team (Astro's in 11/12 level) that have 90% Elite level players. Also the Giants are almost all Elite players and others.. Are they going to play only teams at their level? Or, decimate the teams with league mostly non-All Star non-select players. Lets be fair and give the kids a real chance.
[/quote]

Decimate?  I wonder if the kids on the "non-elite" teams and "non-select" teams know that you pretty much consider them trash, that in your less than humble opinion, they shouldn't even play.  Wow...it's attitudes like yours that keep me from liking select and "elite" ball.  You see, I like games like those I saw this past week in the Little League World Series.  Where kids go out and play small ball, and big ball, and you can see the evidence of joy on their faces when they play.  That's what the GAME is about for kids in this age level...it's not about their daddy's bragging rights.  So I encourage Mr. Tyner to give you your money back, and you can organize the "Beast Boy" tournament, with proceeds going to the "Daddy's Inflated Ego" fund.  I will probably get this post deleted because it seems like I'm attacking you...not really...just your attitude. 

[quote name="12USelect" post="1043911" timestamp="1314631618"]
[/quote]
This is exactly how last season started out. When the rosters were posted someone started griping how stacked some teams were.

[quote name="coachdaddy" post="1044154" timestamp="1314650772"]
who cares were gonna have a blast in coach pitch :P :P :P :P
[/quote]

Awesome, awesome answer!  That's the point.  Form pngpurpleforever's post of last year's "complaint"  Gove kid's a chance to play "real baseball"?  I remember when "real baseball" was a whole bunch of us, 18-20 kids, 9 gloves between us all, 2 bats (if we were lucky), and a ball whose stitching could go at any moment.  Bases were big rocks, trash can lids, someone's shirt, etc, and the "ball field" was an empty lot.  That was FUN!  Baseball for the pleasure of the sport was FUN!  Jason seems to want to bring that sense of excitement to an organized league.  Awesome!  Now, if only we could get daddys and mommys to realize that it is a GAME and not the future, or the franchise.  I see to many kids that played ball get burned out, not because of league officials or anything else, but because you had parents that made their kid's life their own...berating TBallers to "get off their (donkey) and play ball (that was a little girl's MOM...we told her to lay off).  Going into dugouts to berate the kid who made All Stars because he made a batting mistake.  Too many fools who think they are "helping" their kid by dumping on them.

SO you all know where I come from, I was a league vice president for 1 year, president for 3 years, and a Junior League and Senior League coach for 3 years.  You won'r see my name on the record books as "coach of the year" or "dad of the year"...that wan't the point.  Seeing kids beam when they finally connected with the ball, seeing the look of surprise when little Susie or Jimmy caught the fly ball, watching smiles and tears after the game fade with the snow cone or ice cream...that is REAL baseball. 

Thanks Jason...I may not know you personally, but I know your path and caring...keep it up...for all those kids, who play the game, regrardless of the "levels" all the "fantasy kid's baseball parents" want to assign.

My son played last year, has taken a few lessons from Jason and loves the game.  last year in Minor's we had an average team and the best game we played all year was a 1 run loss to the team that won the league.  Any given day one team can beat another.  The bottom line is this is a kid wanting to have fun and get ready for Spring ball.  JT is an amazing guy and does whatever it takes to accommodate these kids.  Kudos to JT for being there for the KIDS.  That is what it is all about!!!!!

@PNG.... I wasn't complaining last yearand I'm not complaining this year. I was simply making an observation last year and making a suggestion to keep people from complaining.  We competed last season with the kids we had... were #1 seed going into the end of year tournament.  So I don't really care about playing against "select" or "all-star" teams... IMO, I'd rather my kids play against better competetion... forces them to deal with adversity and play up to a higher level.  Just making myself clear partner.

Guest 12USelect
Jason, I have the highest regard for you (as does my kid whom you have taught) and appreciate your talent, time and effort. My intention is and was not to inflame or put down anyone, but an honest assessment of stated intentions and actual outcome of the team selections.  I believe the the final winners of this fall season can now be chosen.  I like to go into the season hopeful of walking away at the end as the winner.  I also believe if the kids play ball, learn something and have fun, they are all winners. But, when I look at the lineup, it is not what I expected. The lineup is stacked and there is a difference between a kid who has played 200 games at a level beyond All Star league ball which is Elite or AAA, and kids who are coming out for their 2 season of baseball.

elhector1, my gosh, I won't even try to respond to your ramblings...I do not think any kids playing baseball at any level are "trash", love em all...That was a ridiculous and absurd statement.

In closing, in my first ever post on this site... I only wanted to question if select teams would be playing at their level, and get other opinions about whether stacked teams should exist or not. No flaming, nothing derogatory.  I posted from frustration after listening to one of the select coaches talk about "decimating the competion at Ford Park" this fall season... they were not my words.

I will sign off, and keep my mouth shut...

My name Is Brian Cansler the coach of the Astros. Let me dissect my "stacked roster" for you--I have 7-10 year olds, I have 4 players I have not seen play and I have 2 of them I do not even know who they are.  My goal as a select coach is not to win the Ford Park Fall League I can assure you, but to look at players and give others an opportunity to play other positions they normally would not. Obviously you do not know me, and I would never play a game or do anything to embarrass a kid nor anyone else. I have 16 select events to play this year and aspiring to be the Fall Ball champs is not a priority. By the way-- I believe Jason splits up the division into two seperate brackets for the end of the year tournament, allowing for the fairness you are seeking..

Still waiting on you to post your name.  Again i would be happy to issue you a refund.

And as brian was taking about, the final sunday we have an end of season tournament.  Seeds 1-4 play each other, 5-8, and so on.  Everyone will have a good opportunity to win a championship at the end of the year. 

I am terry green, coach of the giants. I was not going to post on this subject, but I cant resist after 12uselects comments. I, like brian, also have eight 10 yr olds. Its crazy to say that you know the outcome of the season before it starts. In this game, anything can happen at any time. If your true opinion is that you are going to start.the season a loser, then I feel for you and your kid. Winning is not everything, but as for me and my players, we take the field with expectations of winning. If you take the field thinking you are going to lose, then you probably will. So instead of getting on here whining about who is better than who, why dont you go practice with your kid so they can get better which will make the team better.

12U, I responded to your words that teams were going to get "decimated" by other teams.  That is not even giving the kids a chance before the game is even played.  Winning and losing with grace and humility is a part of baseball, and any other sports.

Let me tell you a story about "baseball experience".  In the Junior League team that I coached, we were looking for kids to flesh out our roster.  My son told me about one of his freinds that played football, but hadn't played organized baseball at all.  I asked him to throw some pitches to him...and this kid (15 yo) was connecting on every pitch.  I thought my son had heard him wrong, and that he had played organized ball before.  So we picked him up, and we go to play the first game.  He comes up to bat, gets into the most awkward batting stance I have ever seen...and hits the ball to deep center, past the outfielder who was playing short based on this kid's batting stance.  The batter takes off running, rounds second with a full head of steam, I am base coaching third, hold my hand's up to slow him up for a stand up triple...and he blasts right by me.  He didn't know what it meant!  He gets caught in a rundown, but it was joy watching this "non-experienced" kid play the game.

Another time, also in Junior League, I had a kid who loved to catch, had his own equipment, but was all of 90 lbs. soaking wet, and could get the ball to second...if it was allowed to hop a dozen times to get there.  The other team (West End LL Junior team) saw my catcher's "dilemma" and they had a kid ready to steal home from third, when he would try to throw out the kid on first going to second.  The only thing was, my team had called a time out, for my pitcher and catcher to discuss "options".  On the next pitch, first base runner take off, catcher stands up, third base runner takes off, catcher fires it...to the pitcher. Pitcher fires it back to the catcher, and this skinny little kid stands there, ball in hand, and waits for the runner going full bore at him.  He crouches down, runner slides, OUT! 

So what does that have to do with this conversation?  A lot.  Kids will try their best for you, kids will gou out of their way to please you, but if they see that you don't beleive in them...they won't beleive in themselves.     

[quote name="tgreen" post="1044868" timestamp="1314725264"]
I am terry green, coach of the giants. I was not going to post on this subject, but I cant resist after 12uselects comments. I, like brian, also have eight 10 yr olds. Its crazy to say that you know the outcome of the season before it starts. In this game, anything can happen at any time. If your true opinion is that you are going to start.the season a loser, then I feel for you and your kid. Winning is not everything, but as for me and my players, we take the field with expectations of winning. If you take the field thinking you are going to lose, then you probably will. So instead of getting on here whining about who is better than who, why dont you go practice with your kid so they can get better which will make the team better.
[/quote]

What's up T!  Good to see you coaching those kids.

• 4 weeks later...
Coach pitch is where all the fun is at! I am helping and the kids are enjoying themselves and that is the MAIN goal! We have not won a game and for once I am not even worried about it. Told the parents when we started that we are going to have fun and learn how to play the game! Coach Green when do y'all play Sunday?

• 1 month later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder