Nederland AD hires new basketball assistant coach

As others have posted I agree that Coach English can teach and mold this assistant. But how long will this take...and how much time will it take him away from the varsity while he has to constantly be molding the assistant. I think the point is wouldn't it be much easier to mold an assistant if they at least were knowledgeable about the sport. It is wonderful that coaches are also classroom teachers. I get it. But would you put this science teacher in a classroom teaching math??....Then simply put why would you put him in a coaching position he knows nothing about??

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Basketball 2016" post="1033812" timestamp="1313086417"]
Enlighten me, cause truly I do not understand. A previous poster said Neumann had to hire this coach while fitting it all together like a puzzle. Why should Neumann have to worry whether this assistant coach teaches math, science, or any other subject. Did neuman hire this guy as a science teacher?....or was he told by administration that he could hire anyone he wanted BUT they also had to be a science teacher?
[/quote]

I'm trying to make it as clear as possible. An AD cannot simply hire whoever he wants. NISD does not have the budget to do so. To be as efficient as possible, multiple coaching roles are filled with certified teachers. I have to stress the word certified. You cannot just be a basketball coach and teach calculus or history or science etc, without proper certification. This helps our budget in eliminating excess personnel.

[quote name="Basketball 2016" post="1033817" timestamp="1313087042"]
As others have posted I agree that Coach English can teach and mold this assistant. But how long will this take...and how much time will it take him away from the varsity while he has to constantly be molding the assistant. I think the point is wouldn't it be much easier to mold an assistant if they at least were knowledgeable about the sport. It is wonderful that coaches are also classroom teachers. I get it. But would you put this science teacher in a classroom teaching math??....Then simply put why would you put him in a coaching position he knows nothing about??
[/quote]

I wouldn't put him in a classroom teaching math because he is certified to teach in science.

If your read my post, why put a HC for baseball as a football RB's coach? What about the girl's team when you take away Coach Smith. Don't you think putting the 2 most experienced basketball coaches on the boy's team leaves the girl's team out to dry?

[quote name="Mmosley07" post="1033819" timestamp="1313087216"]
[quote author=Basketball 2016 link=topic=86369.msg1033812#msg1033812 date=1313086417]
Enlighten me, cause truly I do not understand. A previous poster said Neumann had to hire this coach while fitting it all together like a puzzle. Why should Neumann have to worry whether this assistant coach teaches math, science, or any other subject. Did neuman hire this guy as a science teacher?....or was he told by administration that he could hire anyone he wanted BUT they also had to be a science teacher?
[/quote]

I'm trying to make it as clear as possible. An AD cannot simply hire whoever he wants. NISD does not have the budget to do so. To be as efficient as possible, multiple coaching roles are filled with certified teachers. I have to stress the word certified. You cannot just be a basketball coach and teach calculus or history or science etc, without proper certification. This helps our budget in eliminating excess personnel.

Let's be honest, most ad can hire who they want. And if Ned budget is that bad off, maybe the head football coach may want to take a salary cut, being he is up in the 90,000 range.
[/quote]

[quote name="team first" post="1033821" timestamp="1313087286"]
Mmosely , to both my questions a simply yes or no would have been fine. I for one do not feel like reading essays.
Yes on first and no on second.
[/quote]

I apologize for giving you a well thought out answer.

[quote name="team first" post="1033824" timestamp="1313087493"]
Let's be honest, most ad can hire who they want.

And if Ned budget is that bad off, maybe the head football coach may want to take a salary cut, being he is up in the 90,000 range.
[/quote]
[/quote]

I think I've proven otherwise. While an AD may be able to hire who they want, it has to ultimately fill the district's needs. In this situation I think I've repeatedly shown that other variables are in play than just moving a coach to another position without putting other ripples into everything else. 

I think if you were to look at other high schools in the state of Texas his salary is on par with others. Keep in mind he does not make in the 90 range as a head football coach. He is also the AD. If you look across the tracks I think they have both a football HC and head AD and spend more than 90 when combined so your solution wouldn't solve anything.

[quote name="Honest Abe" post="1033836" timestamp="1313088626"]
I, I, I, I, I.
Hey Nash- When did Obama get on this board? 
[/quote]

Feel free to join the conversation at anytime Honest Abe. I know its fun and cozy on the sidelines but really, come join.

[quote name="Mmosley07" post="1033846" timestamp="1313089285"]
[quote author=Honest Abe link=topic=86369.msg1033836#msg1033836 date=1313088626]
I, I, I, I, I.
[/quote]

Feel free to join the conversation at anytime Honest Abe. I know its fun and cozy on the sidelines but really, come join.
[/quote]

I appreciate the invite, but I respectfully decline. I've said everything I wanted to say, but you are clearly not listening to anything we (those who disagree w/u) say.

[quote name="Mmosley07" post="1033829" timestamp="1313087914"]
[quote author=team first link=topic=86369.msg1033824#msg1033824 date=1313087493]
Let's be honest, most ad can hire who they want.

And if Ned budget is that bad off, maybe the head football coach may want to take a salary cut, being he is up in the 90,000 range.
[/quote]
[/quote]

I think I've proven otherwise. While an AD may be able to hire who they want, it has to ultimately fill the district's needs. In this situation I think I've repeatedly shown that other variables are in play than just moving a coach to another position without putting other ripples into everything else.  

I think if you were to look at other high schools in the state of Texas his salary is on par with others. Keep in mind he does not make in the 90 range as a head football coach. He is also the AD. If you look across the tracks I think they have both a football HC and head AD and spend more than 90 when combined so your solution wouldn't solve anything.
[/quote]

Across the tracks, they are not worried about there budget, so it is irrelevant what faircloths makes.
And faircloth gave abel the asst., that he wanted.

Another point not brought up is was this the only coach hired this year? A simple yes or
No will do for that question---  I doubt this was the only coach hired.

[quote name="Honest Abe" post="1033849" timestamp="1313090017"]
[quote author=Mmosley07 link=topic=86369.msg1033846#msg1033846 date=1313089285]
[quote author=Honest Abe link=topic=86369.msg1033836#msg1033836 date=1313088626]
I, I, I, I, I.
[/quote]

[/quote]

I appreciate the invite, but I respectfully decline. I've said everything I wanted to say, but you are clearly not listening to anything we (those who disagree w/u) say.
[/quote]

Gotta admit, Abe, that I am somewhat envious of you.  You've got people inviting you to speak while I have people asking me not to speak. ;)

[quote name="Honest Abe" post="1033849" timestamp="1313090017"]
I, I, I, I, I.
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

No one has given me anything to listen to? I've replied to multiple posts, even the most ridiculous ones, but no one seems to give an answer back. You and the squad just comment on my freshman status, how the message board works, or redbox savings. So what is it that I have not listened to.

[quote name="stevenash" post="1033851" timestamp="1313090379"]
[quote author=Honest Abe link=topic=86369.msg1033849#msg1033849 date=1313090017]
I, I, I, I, I.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Gotta admit, Abe, that I am somewhat envious of you.  You've got people inviting you to speak while I have people asking me not to speak. ;)

[/quote]
[/quote]

;)

[quote name="team first" post="1033850" timestamp="1313090300"]

Across the tracks, they are not worried about there budget, so it is irrelevant what faircloths makes.
And faircloth gave abel the asst., that he wanted.

Another point not brought up is was this the only coach hired this year? A simple yes or
No will do for that question---  I doubt this was the only coach hired.

[/quote]

No.

Walker is not the only newly hired coach. What's your point?

[quote name="team first" post="1033856" timestamp="1313090766"]
My point is there was more than just one position (science ) to fill in an asst. basketball coach.
Even though u have kept stating that they had to hire a science teacher.
[/quote]

"There was more than just one position to fill in an asst. bball coach?" They had to hire a science teacher because there was a science opening, along with 3 other coaching openings. I'm not sure I'm following you or if I understood your point correctly.

[quote name="team first" post="1033863" timestamp="1313091624"]
Point: a basketball coach could have been hired that didn't have to teach science.
Even though ur older post keep saying that he needed to be a science teacher.
Go look back at one of ur essays for that quote
[/quote]

What basketball coach do you want hired? Do you want Coach Smith to move to a boys asst. job? What is Coach Smith's teaching credentials? What about the girl's team? Aren't they kind of getting shafted by having the most experience on the boy's team only? Who fills his old responsibilities and how does this effect the rest of the teaching and coaching staff? What about the baseball and football opening? People on this thread are suggesting for all kids to have equality...well what about the girls if Smith moves? I suggested multiple variable and obstacles exist when filling coach/teaching opening combinations and that the AD is in charge of figuring out some of the above questions and putting together the best option to fulfill all athletes and district needs.

I'm waiting on what Honest Abe has to stay. He claims I'm not listening to something he is saying.

We sure seemed to excel in basketball last year with a linebacker coach and math teacher assisting with basketball. I have 100% confidence that an exceptional coach such as English will have no problem grooming Walker. Maybe the cards will fall in English's favor and Smith can move next year if the right combination in teaching and coaching retires/moves/shuffles around.

1. Don't care
2. Don't care
3. Don't know
4. Depends if smith moves and who they get to replace hi
If he did move. They may hire someone else.
5. Only getting shafted if the ad didn't hire a girls coach and just threw in another football first coach.
6. Don't know, that's why they pay the ad 90,000 plus
7. There are plenty of coaches who coach both and all three like you have stated before.

Excel -- now just imagine if English had some quality help.

And the grooming comment is sorta just dumb and you know it. I could easily say have neauman hire a basketball only guy and groom him for football. Since it's just freshman and not varsity basketball asst.

[quote name="team first" post="1033877" timestamp="1313093353"]
1. Don't care
2. Don't care
3. Don't know
4. Depends if smith moves and who they get to replace hi
If he did move. They may hire someone else.
5. Only getting shafted if the ad didn't hire a girls coach and just threw in another football first coach.
6. Don't know, that's why they pay the ad 90,000 plus
7. There are plenty of coaches who coach both and all three like you have stated before.

Excel -- now just imagine if English had some quality help.

And the grooming comment is sorta just dumb and you know it. I could easily say have neauman hire a basketball only guy and groom him for football. Since it's just freshman and not varsity basketball asst.
[/quote]

But Walker is freshman asst. and he's not "football only." His background is baseball not football and he fills a needed science position. And I'm sure whoever is in charge of freshman football will do a fine job in making him a better football coach. Using your logic I could complain that our football team is getting shafted when Coach Robbins was freshman football coach since his background is baseball. Isn't Coach Gilchrest (sp?) well-versed in basketball and is already English's assistant? You can say you don't care about half the questions I presented but these are just a few of the many that the AD comes across when filling coach/teacher positions. Be upset that Smith didn't get to be English's asst. but be capable of seeing the reasons of why he maybe had to stay where he is (maybe just for the year?). Instead of using rational opinions on why, people jumped the track and claimed Neumann was a dictator, he wanted to sabotage basketball's success, etc.

Mos u brought me into these post, I never once responded to u until u brought me into this, by quoting me.
And I never once said smith, I said a basketball guy. Be it smith is the best or whoever.
Ned is the only school that doesn't have a basketball asst coach from the start of the season in the district

Point blank that is not rt.