Nederland AD hires new basketball assistant coach

Walker will be fine. Everybody just take a step back and look at the overall Nederland picture. We aren't capable of having multiple, specialized coaches that only coach one thing. Most of the time our coaches are required to also be teachers in roles that need to be filled. More importantly, Walker is teaching in the science department to fill an open teaching position. Walker is not a football coach. Walker played baseball at Nederland and Lamar. He is however filling an assistant freshman football coaching position. If it were up to Neumann he would hire strictly to fulfill a coaching position with the best coaching candidate available. That's simply not the case. Its almost a puzzle. Teaching roles are open, assistant coaching positions are open, head coaching positions are open, teaching certificates are required for the teaching roles at different levels, etc. Putting all that together has to result in what's best for our school district to minimize excess personnel. Bottom line is there is more to factor in than coaching credentials. Coach English is an excellent coach because he's a [u]leader[/u]. Walker is no more qualified to coach football than he is basketball and I can bet that Coach English will do a fine job in molding Walker into the assistant he needs. I think its sad yall would be willing to storm the school board meeting because an assistant basketball, football, baseball, coach and science teacher didn't meet your approval yet we sit back and watch our facilities deteriorate, teacher's pay freeze, and on the brink of having to cut teachers from our schools.

If yall want to go to the school board and complain then I say we do. I say we go and complain and demand our students, athletes, and teachers get what they need. New facilities and more funding.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Mmosley07" post="1033537" timestamp="1313028827"]
Walker will be fine. Everybody just take a step back and look at the overall Nederland picture. We aren't capable of having multiple, specialized coaches that only coach one thing. Most of the time our coaches are required to also be teachers in roles that need to be filled. More importantly, Walker is teaching in the science department to fill an open teaching position. Walker is not a football coach. Walker played baseball at Nederland and Lamar. He is however filling an assistant freshman football coaching position. If it were up to Neumann he would hire strictly to fulfill a coaching position with the best coaching candidate available. That's simply not the case. Its almost a puzzle. Teaching roles are open, assistant coaching positions are open, head coaching positions are open, teaching certificates are required for the teaching roles at different levels, etc. Putting all that together has to result in what's best for our school district to minimize excess personnel. Bottom line is there is more to factor in than coaching credentials. Coach English is an excellent coach because he's a [u]leader[/u]. Walker is no more qualified to coach football than he is basketball and I can bet that Coach English will do a fine job in molding Walker into the assistant he needs. I think its sad yall would be willing to storm the school board meeting because an assistant basketball, football, baseball, coach and science teacher didn't meet your approval yet we sit back and watch our facilities deteriorate, teacher's pay freeze, and on the brink of having to cut teachers from our schools.

If yall want to go to the school board and complain then I say we do. I say we go and complain and demand our students, athletes, and teachers get what they need. New facilities and more funding.
[/quote] The great GOV. had a lot to do with the screw up school Dist.

Great post, except that when there is a much better option who has wanted this position for three years, why not put him in that role? Our concern is not Walker, BTW. Our concern is our kids not having the best possible opportunity to improve themselves.

[/quote]

Walker will be fine. Everybody just take a step back and look at the overall Nederland picture. We aren't capable of having multiple, specialized coaches that only coach one thing. Most of the time our coaches are required to also be teachers in roles that need to be filled. More importantly, Walker is teaching in the science department to fill an open teaching position. Walker is not a football coach. Walker played baseball at Nederland and Lamar. He is however filling an assistant freshman football coaching position. If it were up to Neumann he would hire strictly to fulfill a coaching position with the best coaching candidate available. That's simply not the case. Its almost a puzzle. Teaching roles are open, assistant coaching positions are open, head coaching positions are open, teaching certificates are required for the teaching roles at different levels, etc. Putting all that together has to result in what's best for our school district to minimize excess personnel. Bottom line is there is more to factor in than coaching credentials. Coach English is an excellent coach because he's a [u]leader[/u]. Walker is no more qualified to coach football than he is basketball and I can bet that [b]Coach English will do a fine job in molding Walker into the assistant he needs.[/b] I think its sad yall would be willing to storm the school board meeting because an assistant basketball, football, baseball, coach and science teacher didn't meet your approval yet we sit back and watch our facilities deteriorate, teacher's pay freeze, and on the brink of having to cut teachers from our schools.

[/quote]

That's the key, Coach English molding Coach Walker into the assistant he needs.

If yall want to go to the school board and complain then I say we do. I say we go and complain and demand our students, athletes, and teachers get what they need. [b]New facilities and more funding. [/b]
[/quote]
Except for PNG's football stadium and the Butch, Nederland's facilities are as good as all other schools in 20-4A.  And by the way, Bulldog stadium is more than adequate.

[quote name="Honest Abe" post="1033545" timestamp="1313029771"]
Great post, except that when there is a much better option who has wanted this position for three years, why not put him in that role? Our concern is not Walker, BTW. Our concern is our kids not having the best possible opportunity to improve themselves.
[/quote]

What is the "better" option's teaching credentials? What is he certified in? What holes would open up if he were to move? Do other coaches have to be shuffled around if he were to move? I can keep going.... You have to consider multiple obstacles and variables before you just plug in a coach to satisfy a hole.  If your concern is giving the kids the best possible opportunity to succeed then let's fund our school district to provide specialized coaches on each and every coaching level. Coach Neumann is giving the kids the best possible opportunity and district to succeed by filling a needed science teaching position with a coach for 3 separate sports.

[quote name="samsung" post="1033548" timestamp="1313030140"]
Except for PNG's football stadium and the Butch, Nederland's facilities are as good as all other schools in 20-4A.  And by the way, Bulldog stadium is more than adequate.
[/quote]

Let's rewind a second... Who said anything about football stadiums? Nederland's SCHOOLS are a farce compared to local school districts. I'm not on here advocating turf and a shiny jumbotron. And by the way, there is basically a hole in bulldog stadium pressbox. If that's considered more than adequate then we have serious issues in the mindset and direction Nederland is headed.

Walker will be fine. Everybody just take a step back and look at the overall Nederland picture. We aren't capable of having multiple, specialized coaches that only coach one thing. Most of the time our coaches are required to also be teachers in roles that need to be filled. More importantly, Walker is teaching in the science department to fill an open teaching position. Walker is not a football coach. Walker played baseball at Nederland and Lamar. He is however filling an assistant freshman football coaching position. If it were up to Neumann he would hire strictly to fulfill a coaching position with the best coaching candidate available. That's simply not the case. Its almost a puzzle. Teaching roles are open, assistant coaching positions are open, head coaching positions are open, teaching certificates are required for the teaching roles at different levels, etc. Putting all that together has to result in what's best for our school district to minimize excess personnel. Bottom line is there is more to factor in than coaching credentials. Coach English is an excellent coach because he's a [u]leader[/u]. Walker is no more qualified to coach football than he is basketball and
I can bet that Coach English will do a fine job in molding Walker into the assistant he needs. I think its sad yall would be willing to storm the school board meeting because an assistant basketball, football, baseball, coach and science teacher didn't meet your approval yet we sit back and watch our facilities deteriorate, teacher's pay freeze, and on the brink of having to cut teachers from our schools.

If yall want to go to the school board and complain then I say we do. I say we go and complain and
demand our students, athletes, and teachers get what they need. New facilities and more funding.
[/quote]

Mosley...hmmmm...Mosley.....isn't there a Mosley married to Neumann's daughter??

The 'better option' already works for the district. No shuffling, no concern for finding a 2nd subject for him to teach. All of your concerns do not apply to this situation. Neumann could easily have slid him into this position, but he didn't. If this were the 1st time, we would not be having this conversation. In fact, we did NOT have this conversation when the same thing happened last year and the time before that.

author=Mmosley07 link=topic=86369.msg1033549#msg1033549 date=1313030255]
[quote name="Honest Abe" post="1033545" timestamp="1313029771"]
[/quote]

What is the "better" option's teaching credentials? What is he certified in? What holes would open up if he were to move? Do other coaches have to be shuffled around if he were to move? I can keep going.... You have to consider multiple obstacles and variables before you just plug in a coach to satisfy a hole.  If your concern is giving the kids the best possible opportunity to succeed then let's fund our school district to provide specialized coaches on each and every coaching level. Coach Neumann is giving the kids the best possible opportunity and district to succeed by filling a needed science teaching position with a coach for 3 separate sports.
[/quote]

[quote name="Honest Abe" post="1033560" timestamp="1313031801"]
The 'better option' already works for the district. No shuffling, no concern for finding a 2nd subject for him to teach. All of your concerns do not apply to this situation. Neumann could easily have slid him into this position, but he didn't. If this were the 1st time, we would not be having this conversation. In fact, we did NOT have this conversation when the same thing happened last year and the time before that.
[/quote]

Who is the candidate.

[quote name="Mmosley07" post="1033557" timestamp="1313031006"]
[quote author=5 on 5 link=topic=86369.msg1033553#msg1033553 date=1313030600]
Mosley...hmmmm...Mosley.....isn't there a Mosley married to Neumann's daughter??
[/quote]

That's me.

Do you disagree with something I've said?
[/quote]

I know you are new to this board, so I want to prepare you and let you know there will be PLENTY of people who will disagree with you almost every time you post your OPINION. If we all agreed, then there would be no need for this site. Don't take other people's comments too personally.

[quote name="Honest Abe" post="1033566" timestamp="1313032192"]
I know you are new to this board, so I want to prepare you and let you know there will be PLENTY of people who will disagree with you almost every time you post your OPINION. If we all agreed, then there would be no need for this site. Don't take other people's comments too personally.
[/quote]

Excuse my freshman SETX message board status. Have I taken something personal by asking if he disagreed with something I said? I don't think so.

Really??

[quote name="Mmosley07" post="1033565" timestamp="1313032111"]
[quote author=Honest Abe link=topic=86369.msg1033560#msg1033560 date=1313031801]
[/quote]

Who is the candidate.
[/quote]

I believe Mr. Mosley has spoken the truth here. A science teacher was in need therefore Coach Walker was the most qualified due to his certification. The middle school coach that you folks wanted moved up is not certified in that teaching field. Pretty simple hire if you ask me.

Just like Mr. Mosley stated, in these times, districts need to hire assistant coaches based on their teaching certificates more so than what sport they are most experienced in. This situation is also reaching the head coaching status as well.

[quote name="Mmosley07" post="1033567" timestamp="1313032348"]
[quote author=Honest Abe link=topic=86369.msg1033566#msg1033566 date=1313032192]
[/quote]

Excuse my freshman SETX message board status. Have I taken something personal by asking if he disagreed with something I said? I don't think so.
[/quote]

It sure does seem like you did. That's a pretty defensive statement.

No. He's speaking his opinion. The 'better option' is not a middle school coach. He coaches girl's basketball at the HS. Try again.

author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=86369.msg1033571#msg1033571 date=1313032528]
I believe Mr. Mosley has spoken the truth here. A science teacher was in need therefore Coach Walker was the most qualified due to his certification. The middle school coach that you folks wanted moved up is not certified in that teaching field. Pretty simple hire if you ask me.

Just like Mr. Mosley stated, in these times, districts need to hire assistant coaches based on their teaching certificates more so than what sport they are most experienced in. This situation is also reaching the head coaching status as well.
[/quote]

I can bet that Coach English will do a fine job in molding Walker into the assistant he needs. [b]I think its sad yall would be willing to storm the school board meeting because an assistant basketball, football, baseball, coach and science teacher didn't meet your approval yet we sit back and watch our facilities deteriorate, teacher's pay freeze, and on the brink of having to cut teachers from our schools.

If yall want to go to the school board and complain then I say we do. I say we go and complain and
demand our students, athletes, and teachers get what they need. New facilities and more funding. [/b]

Just so you know WE have no control over pay freezes, teachers being cut, and extra funding. This is entirely a governmental cause. As far as new facilities we did try to do something about that, however, the bond issue was voted down. Going to the school board on these issues would serve no purpose.

[quote name="Basketball 2016" post="1032133" timestamp="1312689013"]
Details as I know them: Last years assistant coach for Coach English left his coaching roll to accept an administrative position. Several good applicants for the open position, one of which kids and parents alike would love to see move from his Nederland [b]middle school coaching position[/b] to the high school level. Our wonderful AD Larry Neumann waits until the last available day and hires a BASEBALL coach who knows nothing about basketball to be Coach English's assistant....without input from the head basketball coach. Make any sense?? No, but that's how our AD rolls. This new coach (coach Walker?) probably is a fine person....but.....how can you accept a position you are not qualified for?? Believe me, Nederland has been groomed into one of the best basketball programs in this area by Coach English, and as basketball parents and as a community who now understands that BASKETBALL is the number ONE sport in Nederland, we will not sit idly by and watch an inept AD prevent basketball from continuing to succeed!!!!  Larry Neumann may be the best football coach in the world....don't really know and don't really care....but I don't think he would be willing to coach his football team with a bunch of non qualified assistants. It is
blatantly obvious that he CANNOT be AD and do what is best for the "other" sports.
[/quote]

Here is where I got middle school coaching position.

Now, since we want fairness for all kids in all sports who will fill the girls basketball HC position, science teaching position, etc.

You just don't get it. As I said before, if this were the 1st time, no big deal. The 2nd time raised a concern. The 3rd time causes people to question the decision, and that's what we are doing.

[quote name="Mmosley07" post="1033578" timestamp="1313033053"]
[quote author=Basketball 2016 link=topic=86369.msg1032133#msg1032133 date=1312689013]
Details as I know them: Last years assistant coach for Coach English left his coaching roll to accept an administrative position. Several good applicants for the open position, one of which kids and parents alike would love to see move from his Nederland [b]middle school coaching position[/b] to the high school level. Our wonderful AD Larry Neumann waits until the last available day and hires a BASEBALL coach who knows nothing about basketball to be Coach English's assistant....without input from the head basketball coach. Make any sense?? No, but that's how our AD rolls. This new coach (coach Walker?) probably is a fine person....but.....how can you accept a position you are not qualified for?? Believe me, Nederland has been groomed into one of the best basketball programs in this area by Coach English, and as basketball parents and as a community who now understands that BASKETBALL is the number ONE sport in Nederland, we will not sit idly by and watch an inept AD prevent basketball from continuing to succeed!!!!  Larry Neumann may be the best football coach in the world....don't really know and don't really care....but I don't think he would be willing to coach his football team with a bunch of non qualified assistants. It is
blatantly obvious that he CANNOT be AD and do what is best for the "other" sports.
[/quote]

Here is where I got middle school coaching position.

Now, since we want fairness for all kids in all sports who will fill the girls basketball HC position, science teaching position, etc.
[/quote]

[quote name="Honest Abe" post="1033576" timestamp="1313032688"]
No. He's not a middle school coach. He coaches girl's basketball at the HS. Try again.

author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=86369.msg1033571#msg1033571 date=1313032528]

[/quote]
[/quote]

He gave up the girls' head coaching job 2 years ago, so that he could move over to the boys' asst. job. He was then assigned to the middle school. From what I understand, he took the girls' job back last year because he was told that he had to, when what he wanted to do was take the asst. boys' job that was open. This year he also wanted the boys' asst. job that was open, but again he was denied that job. Their is no doubt that he has made it clear that he wants to coach boys' basketball. Everyone knows that Coach English wants him to be his asst. For some reason, Coach Neumann keeps deciding to not let him have this job.

[quote name="5 on 5" post="1033577" timestamp="1313032996"]
Just so you know WE have no control over pay freezes, teachers being cut, and extra funding. This is entirely a governmental cause. As far as new facilities we did try to do something about that, however, the bond issue was voted down. Going to the school board on these issues would serve no purpose.
[/quote]

I don't know what is with your repeated attempts at being condescending but I'm not sure how looking into our current property and M&O taxes wouldn't fix some of the budget problems we are experiencing. You're right, we did attempt at passing a bond. And we failed. Around next January our board will begin to put together another one. How would this serve no purpose??

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1033581" timestamp="1313033243"]
It was my understanding that the folks on here were wanting the middle school coach moved to the high school to be an assistant.

It was stated very clear in the first post of the author of this thread. It was also sent to me in a private message. ;)
[/quote]

I think that maybe the one that posted that did not realize that the coach had been reassigned to the girls' job last year after spending a year at the middle school. It has been clear all along to peeople close to the program that Coach English wants to Coach Smith as his asst. It has also been equally clear that Coach Smith wants to coach boys' basketball.