Nederland AD hires new basketball assistant coach

Details as I know them: Last years assistant coach for Coach English left his coaching roll to accept an administrative position. Several good applicants for the open position, one of which kids and parents alike would love to see move from his Nederland middle school coaching position to the high school level. Our wonderful AD Larry Neumann waits until the last available day and hires a BASEBALL coach who knows nothing about basketball to be Coach English's assistant....without input from the head basketball coach. Make any sense?? No, but that's how our AD rolls. This new coach (coach Walker?) probably is a fine person....but.....how can you accept a position you are not qualified for?? Believe me, Nederland has been groomed into one of the best basketball programs in this area by Coach English, and as basketball parents and as a community who now understands that BASKETBALL is the number ONE sport in Nederland, we will not sit idly by and watch an inept AD prevent basketball from continuing to succeed!!!!  Larry Neumann may be the best football coach in the world....don't really know and don't really care....but I don't think he would be willing to coach his football team with a bunch of non qualified assistants. It is
blatantly obvious that he CANNOT be AD and do what is best for the "other" sports.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neumann is clearly envious of the success and attention of the basketball program.  The sad thing is that the kids are the one's who will suffer most from this. Do you think he would hire a defensive line coach to coach his QBs? I think not. He has an ex-QB at that position who is also the OC.
You are right, he may be a good football coach, but he is NOT a good AD. A good AD is one who helps each kid thrive in every sport, not just football! The problem in Nederland is that Everyone is afraid of Neumann, including administrators. They were not innocent in this hire. They sat by and watched this take place and allowed Neumann to continue his dictatorship!!
We all need to bring this atrocity to our school board. If we don't, then nothing will EVER change!!

Guest baseball25
lol man you are acting like nederland has been to the state tourney the last couple of years, nederland isn't a powerhouse basketball program!!!! just the truth, a powerhouse basketball program is silsbee,hj, and kountze, just because nederland has done good the last couple of yrs does not make them a great basketball program. Football and baseball are the top 2 sports in nederland!!!

[quote name="basketball25" post="1032138" timestamp="1312691942"]
lol man you are acting like nederland has been to the state tourney the last couple of years, nederland isn't a powerhouse basketball program!!!! just the truth, a powerhouse basketball program is silsbee,hj, and kountze, just because nederland has done good the last couple of yrs does not make them a great basketball program. Football and baseball are the top 2 sports in nederland!!!
[/quote]

Never said they were a powerhouse buddy. That is NOT what this is about.

[/quote]
Understand the purpose of this thread. Our football and baseball programs do well, no argument. However, FOOTBALL coaches coach football, BASEBALL coaches coach baseball, then why is it we can not get BASKETBALL coaches to coach basketball. Simple argument. Neumann has developed a good football program. Thats great. He needs to be the head football coach. Thats fine. However, It appears to me there is just too much animosity for our football coach to be AD. Simple.

[b][/b][quote name="Honest Abe" post="1032135" timestamp="1312691032"]
Neumann is clearly envious of the success and attention of the basketball program.  The sad thing is that the kids are the one's who will suffer most from this. Do you think he would hire a defensive line coach to coach his QBs? I think not. He has an ex-QB at that position who is also the OC.
You are right, he may be a good football coach, but he is NOT a good AD. A good AD is one who helps each kid thrive in every sport, not just football! The problem in Nederland is that Everyone is afraid of Neumann, including administrators. They were not innocent in this hire. They sat by and watched this take place and allowed Neumann to continue his dictatorship!! [b]We all need to bring this atrocity to our school board. If we don't, then nothing will EVER change!![/b]
[/quote]

Amen. EVERYONE of us who this affects now and in the future need to voice our opinions to the school board on a regular basis starting now.

Question for the new assistant basketball coach: what is your name, what school were you at previously and what were you coaching at that time, did you play basketball in HS, have you ever coached basketball at any level, and what would YOU say is your ability and overall knowledge of the game.???

This would probably be a good time for Neumann to justify his hire, and for this new coach to lay out the resume that landed him this job.

Hate to hear this.  We have talked alot about how impportant that role is.  We are in the same boat at our school as well.  We just hired a science teacher who has never coached or played basketball to be one of our assistants.  Not to mention we have universal off season so our kids can't even get in the gym.  That is why the AD should be a separate position because of this.  Can't believe it happened in Nederland though.  Good luck with it and i agree that parents should keep going to the board and show the displeasure. 

I have had 2 sons come through the program recently.  This is no surprise.  Coach E. will not even get this assistant until after football season.  He has had good men as assistants but never a basketball guy.  There is no oversight or accountability by the Superintendent or School Board.  I will voice my opinion but do not believe it will do much good.  He should have never received a new contract.

[/quote]

Not a state championship but when was the last time Nederland Football finished in better than third or fourth in District.  I think Baseball, Soccer, Basketball, etc. all are doing better but don't get true support from the AD.

Coach E knew Neumann was a football-first AD when he came home to Nederland. If he doesn't like it he can leave and go somewhere else. Chances are there will be a similar situation at any other district.  The Dog Dome would be much better served as an indoor football practice facility anyway  :)

Coach neauman aka (never won district ) knew that coach English Aka ( two time district champ) was a basketball first Coach, when neauman hired him, so If he doesn't like English winning more than him, he can retire and let one of faircloths asst., take over and show Ned football what a district champioship feels like

[quote name="football" post="1032259" timestamp="1312742550"]
If ignorance is bliss, some people on here must be in a constant state of euphoria. 
[/quote]
Please elaborate how this group of basketball enthusiasts are ignorant. Sounds to me like the only thing they may be ignorant of is how to get basketball coaches for basketball, and looks to me like they are headed in the right direction to address and hopefully correct their situation. So go ahead and enjoy your own state of euphoria my friend, your post name says it all. This thread doesn't look to me like it is "basketball vs. Football", it is simply asking for equality in both sports. AND might I say, Equality for the KIDS.

[quote name="5 on 5" post="1032175" timestamp="1312726160"]
Question for the new assistant basketball coach: what is your name, what school were you at previously and what were you coaching at that time, did you play basketball in HS, have you ever coached basketball at any level, and what would YOU say is your ability and overall knowledge of the game.???

This would probably be a good time for Neumann to justify his hire, and for this new coach to lay out the resume that landed him this job.
[/quote]

No response yet?? ???

This is why I believe TEXAS needs to rethink the position of AD; it doesn't have to be, and  nor should it be advertised for the Head Football Coach /AD only and this is a good example of why. The AD position should be a position of neutrality,  and having work with several ADs who are football coaches they are very paranoid and use very little objectivity. Please see the Kountze situation; Joubert deserves to be the AD.

[quote name="bobbymcgee" post="1032315" timestamp="1312753604"]
If it is about the kids then here is a question for you.
How many D1 kids did Nederland football produce last year? How many did Nederland basketball produce?
2 in football, 0 in basketball. Nuff said.
[/quote]

What's your point? You are further validating that Nederland needs a basketball coach as an assistant. Thanks!  ;D ;D ;D

[quote name="bobbymcgee" post="1032315" timestamp="1312753604"]
If it is about the kids then here is a question for you.
How many D1 kids did Nederland football produce last year? How many did Nederland basketball produce?
2 in football, 0 in basketball. Nuff said.
[/quote]

Yeah, Im with Abe.. You just clarified the need for a basketball coach ;)

And its going to be even worse now since the best assistant coach he had just graduated

I am as big of a Nederland basketball fan as anyone but I don't feel Neumann is a bad AD. Nederland is successful in 90% of the sports played at the school. Not just football. Neumann is the one brought in all of those coaches. Should he have brought in a coach with BB experience? Of course. But I don't think one bad move should have got him stripped of his AD duties. He went out and got Coach E from Vidor and paid him. He has brought Nederland a long long way in his 18 years. Quite sure almost every sport has improved.

Also I don't think AD/Head Coach should be separated. There is not enough money in school budgets as it is and especially not to pay an extra position. However, I strongly feel AD shouldn't have to be the football coach. Some of these coaches are not remotely qualified to do both jobs. There are several coaches that don't coach football that I feel would do a better job but they were coaching the wrong sport and never got a chance.

[quote name="ForeverADog" post="1032363" timestamp="1312764751"]
I am as big of a Nederland basketball fan as anyone but I don't feel Neumann is a bad AD. Nederland is successful in 90% of the sports played at the school. Not just football. Neumann is the one brought in all of those coaches. Should he have brought in a coach with BB experience? Of course. But I don't think one bad move should have got him stripped of his AD duties. He went out and got Coach E from Vidor and paid him. He has brought Nederland a long long way in his 18 years. Quite sure almost every sport has improved.

Also I don't think AD/Head Coach should be separated. There is not enough money in school budgets as it is and especially not to pay an extra position. However, I strongly feel AD shouldn't have to be the football coach. Some of these coaches are not remotely qualified to do both jobs. There are several coaches that don't coach football that I feel would do a better job but they were coaching the wrong sport and never got a chance.
[/quote]

Very good post. I agree!

[quote name="ForeverADog" post="1032363" timestamp="1312764751"]
I am as big of a Nederland basketball fan as anyone but I don't feel Neumann is a bad AD. Nederland is successful in 90% of the sports played at the school. Not just football. Neumann is the one brought in all of those coaches. Should he have brought in a coach with BB experience? Of course. But I don't think one bad move should have got him stripped of his AD duties. [color=blue]He went out and got Coach E from Vidor and paid him. [/color] He has brought Nederland a long long way in his 18 years. Quite sure almost every sport has improved.

[/quote]

The hiring of Coach English was nowhere close to "Coach Neumann going out and getting him from Vidor." Coach Neumann did not want to hire Coach English. He felt like he did not have a choice because the town of Nederland would have put up a fuss if he didn't. In my opinion, this was one of the few times that Coach Neumann has concerned himself with what anybody else wanted.