Nederland AD hires new basketball assistant coach

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="bulldog81" post="1032370" timestamp="1312767143"]
[quote author=ForeverADog link=topic=86369.msg1032363#msg1032363 date=1312764751]
I am as big of a Nederland basketball fan as anyone but I don't feel Neumann is a bad AD. Nederland is successful in 90% of the sports played at the school. Not just football. Neumann is the one brought in all of those coaches. Should he have brought in a coach with BB experience? Of course. But I don't think one bad move should have got him stripped of his AD duties. [color=blue]He went out and got Coach E from Vidor and paid him. [/color] He has brought Nederland a long long way in his 18 years. Quite sure almost every sport has improved.

Also I don't think AD/Head Coach should be separated. There is not enough money in school budgets as it is and especially not to pay an extra position. However, I strongly feel AD shouldn't have to be the football coach. Some of these coaches are not remotely qualified to do both jobs. There are several coaches that
don't coach football that I feel would do a better job but they were coaching the wrong sport and never got a chance.
[/quote]

The hiring of Coach English was nowhere close to "Coach Neumann going out and getting him from Vidor." Coach Neumann did not want to hire Coach English. He felt like he did not have a choice because the town of Nederland would have put up a fuss if he didn't. In my opinion, this was one of the few times that Coach
Neumann has concerned himself with what anybody else wanted.
[/quote]

Ah, the tip of the iceberg.

[quote name="adminbaberuth" post="1032375" timestamp="1312768154"]
Does anyone know how HJ, Silsbee and Ozen handle their assistants for Basketball? Do they coach football, what experience do they have and what classes they teach?
[/quote]

Both HJ assistants are former head coaches.  One coaches football and the other coaches cross country.

[quote name="stevenash" post="1032377" timestamp="1312768595"]
[quote author=adminbaberuth link=topic=86369.msg1032375#msg1032375 date=1312768154]
Does anyone know how HJ, Silsbee and Ozen handle their assistants for Basketball? Do they coach football, what experience do they have and what classes they teach?
[/quote]

Both HJ assistants are former head coaches.  One coaches football and the other coaches cross country.
[/quote]

Wow, HJ's assistants are former HC's? They would rather be assistant than HC somewhere?

Co$t cutting measure: Let the Principal or someone else in the district serve as AD. The most overrated position is the AD  position because each head coach of his or her sport does his own paperwork even though the AD gets paid as the administrator. What does he? The AD attends district meetings and make decisions on sports that he has little or no interest in, or has very little knowledge about. Oh,  and he gets to do a weekly radio show to promote his sport.

Sadly, the kids in school always ask me why do we only have football  pep rallies and do things that center around football.  I can't answer that, but remember it is suppose to be about building up ALL kids,  and I do not believe one sport regardless of what it is, should receive more taxpayer dollars outside the cost of equipment than another sport.The head football coach who coaches fewer games than most sports shouldn't be paid more, or given a car; he is no better than the other coaches. And don't sell me the argument that football brings in the money; the UIL prohibits any incentives to coaches so if your saying your paying him more based on that, the rule should be revisited.

[quote name="ForeverADog" post="1032363" timestamp="1312764751"]
I am as big of a Nederland basketball fan as anyone but I don't feel Neumann is a bad AD. Nederland is successful in 90% of the sports played at the school. Not just football. [b]Neumann is the one brought in all of those coaches. Should he have brought in a coach with BB experience? Of course. But I don't think one bad move should have got him stripped of his AD duties. He went out and got Coach E from Vidor [/b]and paid him. He has brought Nederland a long long way in his 18 years. Quite sure almost every sport has improved.

Also I don't think AD/Head Coach should be separated. There is not enough money in school budgets as it is and especially not to pay an extra position. However, I strongly feel AD shouldn't have to be the football coach. Some of these coaches are not remotely qualified to do both jobs. There are several coaches that don't coach football that I feel would do a better job but they were coaching the wrong sport and never got
a chance.
[/quote]
Wow.....Neumann did not bring in Coach English first of all. Don't fool yourself by thinking he did that willingly. And you state "one bad move". Again don't fool yourself. Neumann has had MULTIPLE opportunities to hire a qualified assistant basketball coach....MULTIPLE....and each time has proven his lack of willingness to do the right thing. By the way did I say MULTIPLE opportunities. It is not one bad move, it is a pattern that will continue as long as we allow it!!

[quote name="adminbaberuth" post="1032331" timestamp="1312756093"]
Coach English is a great coach. He will do fine with whoever his assistant his.

Coach Nuemann's platter I would imagine has been full the last month.
[/quote]
Coach neumann's platter is probably not a big concern to basketball people. And you say Coach English will do fine with  "whoever" . I think basketball wants to do better than just "fine". This thread reinforces that!!

[quote name="5 on 5" post="1032175" timestamp="1312726160"]
Question for the new assistant basketball coach: what is your name, what school were you at previously and what were you coaching at that time, did you play basketball in HS, have you ever coached basketball at any level, and what would YOU say is your ability and overall knowledge of the game.???

This would probably be a good time for Neumann to justify his hire, and for this new coach to lay out the resume that landed him this job.
[/quote]

Still no response ??? Does ANYONE know anything about this assistant coach and his credential??

[quote name="5 on 5" post="1032407" timestamp="1312774296"]
[quote author=5 on 5 link=topic=86369.msg1032175#msg1032175 date=1312726160]
Question for the new assistant basketball coach: what is your name, what school were you at previously and what were you coaching at that time, did you play basketball in HS, have you ever coached basketball at any level, and what would YOU say is your ability and overall knowledge of the game.???

This would probably be a good time for Neumann to justify his hire, and for this new coach to lay out the resume that landed him this job.
[/quote]

Still no response ??? Does ANYONE know anything about this assistant coach and his credential??
[/quote]

I do and I don't think he should be the focus of your thread. He is from Ned, lives in Ned, and is coming to work in Ned in the best interest of himself and his family. Is he a "basketball guy"? No. But he took the job offered to him. The AD could prob move Smith and put Walker at MS and both would be happy, but AD is the boss. He has to have SOME reason for putting the coaches where they are. The coaches just do what they gotta do. Don't drag Walker down for doing what's best for himself and his family.

[quote name="adminbaberuth" post="1032375" timestamp="1312768154"]
[/quote]

At Silsbee, all three assistants (if you are including Coach Mackey) all coach football. Coach Brooks and Coach Collins have always coached football at Silsbee and are paraprofessionals. Coach Mackey (a former head coach/AD) is the offensive co. and physical ed teacher.

All three have coached basketball at Silsbee since they have been here (except for Mackey who did not coach basketball for 1 1/2 seasons of his 13 years at Silsbee)

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="adminbaberuth" post="1032378" timestamp="1312769068"]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=86369.msg1032377#msg1032377 date=1312768595]
[quote author=adminbaberuth link=topic=86369.msg1032375#msg1032375 date=1312768154]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Wow, HJ's assistants are former HC's? They would rather be assistant than HC somewhere?
[/quote]

They'd rather be assistants at HARDIN-JEFFERSON than be head coaches just anywhere.  You got a problem with that?

[quote name="adminbaberuth" post="1032378" timestamp="1312769068"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Are you suggesting that ALL HC jobs are better than SOME assistant jobs?

[quote name="stevenash" post="1032449" timestamp="1312810686"]
[quote author=adminbaberuth link=topic=86369.msg1032378#msg1032378 date=1312769068]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Are you suggesting that ALL HC jobs are better than SOME assistant jobs?
[/quote]

Not at all. But to have 3 Head Coaches in one sport is a major coup.

I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone is blaming the new assistant. It's more about Neumann not looking out for the best interest of the athletic department. Keep in mind, this will also affect the baseball team, b/c basketball playoffs will run into the beginning of baseball practice (and maybe some games??).

"he has to have SOME reason for putting the coaches where they are..."?? Kinda like how he hired an Ag teacher a few years ago to be the head soccer coach? But your right, i'm sure Neumann does have 'SOME reason'...as long as it doesn't affect the football program of course. :-\  

quote author=The Ingredient link=topic=86369.msg1032410#msg1032410 date=1312775531]
[quote name="5 on 5" post="1032407" timestamp="1312774296"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I do and I don't think he should be the focus of your thread. He is from Ned, lives in Ned, and is coming to work in Ned in the best interest of himself and his family. Is he a "basketball guy"? No. But he took the job offered to him. The AD could prob move Smith and put Walker at MS and both would be happy, but AD is the boss. He has to have SOME reason for putting the coaches where they are. The coaches just do what they gotta do. Don't drag Walker down for doing what's best for himself and his family.
[/quote]

[quote name="jacobmccandles" post="1032724" timestamp="1312850483"]
The head baseball coach and all of his assistants are football coaches!!  Coach English is a fine bball coach.
[/quote]

We agree that coach English is a fine b-ball coach. He is doing a great job, but he shouldn't have to do it alone- he deserves help. Any head B-ball coach will say the same.

Yes, the baseball coaches may be football coaches as well, but they KNOW baseball AND football. The new assistant already coaches FB AND baseball, and he has knowledge of these sports. However, from my understanding, he is NOT a basketball guy , and he is not knowledgeable in the sport at all! Neumann had a better option for an assistant, and he failed to do what is best for the program and our kids- for at least the second time since English has been HC in Ned.

[quote name="Honest Abe" post="1032748" timestamp="1312854169"]
[quote author=jacobmccandles link=topic=86369.msg1032724#msg1032724 date=1312850483]
The head baseball coach and all of his assistants are football coaches!!  Coach English is a fine bball coach.
[/quote]

We agree that coach English is a fine b-ball coach. He is doing a great job, but he shouldn't have to do it alone- he deserves help. Any head B-ball coach will say the same.

Yes, the baseball coaches may be football coaches as well, but they KNOW baseball AND football. The new assistant already coaches FB AND baseball, and he has knowledge of these sports. However, from my understanding, he is NOT a basketball guy , and he is not knowledgeable in the sport at all! Neumann had a better option for an assistant, and he failed to do what is best for the program and our kids- for [b][color=blue]at least the second time since English has been HC in Ned[/color][/b].
[/quote]
This is the third year in a row that the coach that wanted the job, which happened to be who Coach English wanted, has been passed over.

[quote name="bulldog81" post="1032749" timestamp="1312855030"]
[quote author=Honest Abe link=topic=86369.msg1032748#msg1032748 date=1312854169]
[quote author=jacobmccandles link=topic=86369.msg1032724#msg1032724 date=1312850483]
[/quote]

Yes, the baseball coaches may be football coaches as well, but they KNOW baseball AND football. The new assistant already coaches FB AND baseball, and he has knowledge of these sports. However, from my understanding, he is NOT a basketball guy , and he is not knowledgeable in the sport at all! Neumann had a better option for an assistant, and he failed to do what is best for the program and our kids- for [b][color=blue]at least the second time since English has been HC in Ned[/color][/b].
[/quote]
This is the third year in a row that the coach that wanted the job, which happened to be who Coach English wanted, has been passed over.
[/quote]

Did he ever get a chance to interview?

[quote name="The Ingredient" post="1032410" timestamp="1312775531"]
[quote author=5 on 5 link=topic=86369.msg1032407#msg1032407 date=1312774296]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I do and I don't think he should be the focus of your thread. He is from Ned, lives in Ned, and is coming
to work in Ned in the best interest of himself and his family. Is he a "basketball guy"? No. But he took the job offered to him. The AD could prob move Smith and put Walker at MS and both would be happy, but AD is the boss. He has to have SOME reason for putting the coaches where they are. The coaches just do what they gotta do. [b]Don't drag Walker down for doing what's best for himself and his family.[/b]
[/quote]

No disrespect at all to Walker, I'm sure he is a fine person, and I truly mean that. But I certainly don't see how it can be in his best interest to accept a job he is not qualified for, regardless of who offers it to him. Will the same person that hired him eventually have to fire him due to his inability and lack of knowledge in basketball?? Or should the AD that hired him, WITHOUT EVEN CONSULTING with the head basketball coach, have to justify his decision to the school board?

I can see both sides of this argument but, any new coach would take a High School job without batting an eye. Especially at his alma mater.Correct me if Im wrong but, didnt he graduate from Ned?[quote name="5 on 5" post="1033474" timestamp="1313020628"]
[quote author=The Ingredient link=topic=86369.msg1032410#msg1032410 date=1312775531]
[quote author=5 on 5 link=topic=86369.msg1032407#msg1032407 date=1312774296]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I do and I don't think he should be the focus of your thread. He is from Ned, lives in Ned, and is coming
to work in Ned in the best interest of himself and his family. Is he a "basketball guy"? No. But he took the job offered to him. The AD could prob move Smith and put Walker at MS and both would be happy, but AD is the boss. He has to have SOME reason for putting the coaches where they are. The coaches just do what they gotta do. [b]Don't drag Walker down for doing what's best for himself and his family.[/b]
[/quote]

No disrespect at all to Walker, I'm sure he is a fine person, and I truly mean that. But I certainly don't see how it can be in his best interest to accept a job he is not qualified for, regardless of who offers it to him. Will the same person that hired him eventually have to fire him due to his inability and lack of knowledge in basketball?? Or should the AD that hired him, WITHOUT EVEN CONSULTING with the head basketball coach, have to justify his decision to the school board?
[/quote]