WO-S SHOULD Release List Of Applicants

[quote name="kicker" post="998740" timestamp="1303064391"]
Things are certainly beginning to smell fishy. If this is a very sought after HCAD job, as reported, then why in the world is a comittee(that was repordadly formed to get the publics opinions) contacting coaches? In my opinion, this is recruitment. After all I have said, I am starting to lean towards grad's take on this. Something Is NOT right. All the "contacted" coaches have a common denominator that has NOTHING to do with ability. If the speculation I have learned is true, then that is down right wrong. It has come to rumor(and i use that lightly) that this "comittee" was formed in order to find reasons NOT to give the job to Thompson. If that is true, then all the once again, "rumors" of the great new leadership is nothing more than smoke and mirrors. This is starting to look like a personal agenda rather than a "TRANSPARENT" fair process. Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I am now officially worried, negating my previous posts. I really hope I have put my foot in my mouth. Trust me, this is the one time I pray that I am wrong.
[/quote] I'm with you Kicker along with several others i've talked to the last several days. WHY go contacting Coaches in Dallas etc?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="mat" post="998755" timestamp="1303067729"]
One thing is for certain, after he weathers this storm he should have smooth sailing (providing he makes the right choice) because there will be nowhere near the interest or scrutiny in future topics; such as layoffs, budget, principal selections, test scores, etc, you know, the less important topics.
[/quote]

Oh lest ye be worried, I have opinions on those as well.  First layoffs/budget, which I will tackle together.  I actually give Mr. Colbert high marks on his efforts to date on this as the early exit program appeared to properly compensate those who accepted the package while at the same time greatly reducing the layoffs which will be necessary to meet budget constraints.

As to principal appointments, this is long been a stone in my shoe with regard to the WO-C CISD as there are a number of principals that I have my concern about.  I do like the most recent appointment of Hutchison Hill as principal at WO-S.  In fact, if there is anything reassuring about the committee currently comprised to select the next AD, it is that he is on it and he will most assuredly seek the interest of the children on that committee.  Unfortunately, I have to inform that he was an appointee of then interim superintendent Bill Conway.  The principal before him (who by the way was a close relative of one of the school board members) had a stint that was marked by either apathy or scandal.

As to the incoming test scores, those were taken under the program set in place by a prior super so I can't tie Mr. Colbert to those. But I like you, hope that he will be able to the guide the district to the point that the standardized test scores rise so that the TEA does not require the WOC CISD to provide vouchers to students living within the school district if they wish to seek education in other districts.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="998671" timestamp="1303047947"]
First of all, I could give a rat's rear end who "reports it first."  I'll gladly read it off of website of the Leader, KOGT, the News, the Enterprise, KFDM, KBMT, KBTV, KJAC, KLVI, KSET, the PTA or the USO.   That is a hill of beans to me.  That may be a concern of Mr. Henry's but that is not mine.  My concern, or I guess I should now use the term "cry" is that at this point NOBODY knows.  

Nobody knows these candidates even though I have been told by one of the members of the committee that there are "several" that are more qualified than the fan favorite and, admittedly, a favorite of mine.  Nobody knows the candidates in search where the motives of the committee have been questioned, and reasonably so......and not just by those who have decided to air views here in open forum.   There are many amongst the taxpayers who pay Mr. Colbert's salary and will pay the salary of this head coach and athletic direcotr who question the actions to date of this committee.  I have relayed my concerns to Mr. Colbert using my full name and have talked to a member of the committee (although I must say that all I took away from that conversation is that committee member's fondness for the phrase "listen and learn").  

Next, this new found sensitivity to the coaching applicants.  Assistant (and even head) coaches applying for positions at others jobs is as age old as the game itself.  Many athletic directors expect it, some encourage it.  Some of the coaches who do so WANT their current district to know...for example when Nederland's Larry Neumann applied for the head coach position at La Marque a few years back.  Do school districts really feel disrespected when coaches in their district apply for other jobs?  Coach Mike Long has found his name in many such published lists and as of last report, he is still at Kelly.  Coach Troy Bolton who as an assistant at LC-M has likewise been on such lists and, according to a questionnaire I hold in my hand filled out by LC-M Athletic Director Randy Crouch, he is still employed by the LC-M CISD.  I find it of note that neither Superintendent Pauline Hargrave of LCMCISD nor Superintendent Phillip Welch of Orangefield ISD saw any problem with immediately releasing the list of applicants the last time an Orange County football head coaching/athletic director position was open.  I guess they were just plain insensitive for feeling that informing the taxpayer public was their duty as heads of their respective school districts.  The excuse that this list is being withheld to protect the applicants is as empty as Mr. Colbert's promise of a transparent process stands at this point.  

As to other schools...I think San Augustine was mentioned (although let take this moment to congratulate Coach Hubbard, who managed to escape from George Ranch, where coaches have been known to turn up dead)...well, sorry, I didn't graduate from San Augustine High School, I don't have parents who are residents of that school district and relatives who currently attend that school district so my interest in the Wolves' head coaching position, aside from my tasks here on the site, is limited.

If I have a grievance with a process or actions, I will air it using as a shield the very amendment to the U.S. Constitution which allows newspaper editors and reporters, and for that matter any member of the media, to earn a living without fear of reprisal from our governing bodies.  If you find my grievances mislaid, you are perfectly entitled by the same amendment to say so.  Further, people are by no means compelled to read my rubbish if they term it so.  As the standard practice of reading in the civilized world is left to right, that means the first thing you will see is my user name.  For purposes of this issue, you can for the time being assume that every time you see my user name, it will be a post critical of the actions of Mr. Colbert and/or his committee and if that in some way offends, feel free to immediately scroll down to the next post as I know full well why I am "crying."
[/quote] Great Post!

I sure hope that we are overreacting WAY MORE than needed about all of this. I hope that this is just procedure and that the right decision, Coach Thompson, is chosen. Like I have said before, with all the backlash, negativity, resentment, protests, etc looming on the wrong decision, who in their right mind would go against the 99% of people's want and not pick Cornell Thompson. I say 99% because there is a 1% population that has a personal agenda to eliminate the Hooks/Thompson era because their "little jimmy" didnt get to play. Well, "little jimmy" , might not have been able to play safety better than, oh....Earl Thomas, or better QB than.... Deon Beasly. Seriously, that is the mind set of that 1%. Once again, I pray that i am wrong about what has been told to me from close sources, and what I have read here. If, in fact the speculations are true, there will be a very, very bad end result. Like I said, this decision could cause a MAX EXODUS from WOCCISD. People that dont understand that have to be blind, or not from Texas......hhmmmm :-\

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="998767" timestamp="1303071423"]
[quote author=mat link=topic=83252.msg998755#msg998755 date=1303067729]
At the end of the process which statement from the new superintendent would sound like a superintendant to lead WOC into the future? Not to mention the most credible statement supporting the new AD.

[i]“After carefully reviewing both district applicants and considering the public opinion I recommend Cornell Thompson for the AD position for WOC”

“After careful review of all of the qualified candidates from the state of Texas I recommend Cornell Thompson for the AD position for WOC”[/i]
One thing is for certain, after he weathers this storm he should have smooth sailing (providing he makes the right choice) because there will be nowhere near the interest or scrutiny in future topics; such as layoffs, budget, principal selections, test scores, etc, you know, the less important topics.

I’m not a Colbert supporter but I will be patient and give him a legitimate chance to lead the way before calling for his head.

[/quote]
Neither, this would be the wording of that statement:

[i]President Amy and ladies and gentlemen of the school board, the job of athletic director of the WO-C CISD and and football coach at West Orange-Stark High School was a very sought after position. In opening the application process to the public, we received the applications of ___ individuals who possessed the desire and confidence to help guide our children in their education here in the WO-C CISD.  I authorized the release of this list of applicant so that the parents and taxpayers of this district could see for themselves the high quality of the individuals who wished so much to join their community that they have engaged in this application process.  This was an important decision and in doing so carefully considered the qualifications of the applicants. I also sought input from the residents of the WO-C CISD, alumni of West Orange-Stark High School and the coaching fraternity.  After doing so, I am confident that we have best individual to guide our athletic program into the future.  Ladies and gentlemen of the school board, I recommend Cornel Thompson to be the next athletic director for the West Orange-Cove Consolidated Independent School District and the next head football coach at West Orange-Stark High School.[/i]
[/quote]

Well I certainly agree with your example of a hiring statement too but I can’t help but consider that a newly hired leader with no knowledge or history with the district will have to go through a process that he can be confident in.

I’ll try to continue to keep an optimistic view until proven different. And as far as transparency is concerned, I think it is too soon to say he has not delivered. It appears people are uncomfortable because the transparency has not met their expected timeline.

[quote name="KFDM KERRY COOPER" post="998327" timestamp="1302963346"]
Hopefully you'll get the list Monday!!!
[/quote]

Nope, I miscounted.  Ten days from the date of the request is Thursday.  Ten business days would make it make it next Monday.

You know, on the other thread that post from Guillory, if in fact it is him, scarred me. I know Erik and he has always been a nice guy to me. Something isnt right about all of this. I believe that emotions are getting the best of people. I had a feeling that this would divide the Mustang family and relationships will be ruined forever. I was hoping that I was wrong, but to see them two(you know who im talking about) take the gloves off, supports my sentiment. Wish this would have not have happened. in my most humble opinion, here is what i think could have prevented this: Hooks had to have known that he was contemplating retirement. I believe that there should have been some type of contract or plan in place for CT to take over as soon as Hooks retired. This could have been done a year or even two years ago. Get everything on paper that CT gets it and make a plan for a smooth transition. I am in no way saying that this is Hooks fault, i just wish that there would have been a plan. Just like Dallas had with Garrett. Then all this division and negative subjectivity would have NEVER happened in the first place.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="999085" timestamp="1303147068"]
kicker, that sounds all well and good, but if the board and the sup never wanted CT to have the job in the first place, why would they have set up a contract for him to take over when Hooks retired?
[/quote]

Very, very good point. But if the contract, or whatever you would call it, was done then the Super would have never had to make the decision. He just got here. he would have been told upon getting this job that there was a plan in place for the next AD and then it would be off his shoulders.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="999080" timestamp="1303146358"]
[quote author=kicker link=topic=83252.msg999077#msg999077 date=1303146227]
Im sure that requests were submitted by all the news outlets on the first day you could ask for one.
[/quote]

Well, maybe not the Orange Leader. ;D
[/quote]

Poop. We will be 10 mins behind everyone else

[quote name="Gabe" post="999099" timestamp="1303148852"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=83252.msg999080#msg999080 date=1303146358]
[quote author=kicker link=topic=83252.msg999077#msg999077 date=1303146227]
Im sure that requests were submitted by all the news outlets on the first day you could ask for one.
[/quote]

Well, maybe not the Orange Leader. ;D
[/quote]

Poop. We will be 10 mins behind everyone else
[/quote]

Nope, I'll be the last to the party because I have to wait until you get it before I steal it from you. LOL!

Oh well, we still have our Pat Knight moment to live off of! :D

It is a great thought, kicker.  However, the stability and rigidity that makes such a gesture desirable to all of us is exactly why a school district, and this is any school district, would never do that.  They would not want to be held to perform something 2,3,4 years down the line unconditionally when conditions may very well have changed.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="999112" timestamp="1303151553"]
It is a great thought, kicker.  However, the stability and rigidity that makes such a gesture desirable to all of us is exactly why a school district, and this is any school district, would never do that.  They would not want to be held to perform something 2,3,4 years down the line unconditionally when conditions may very well have changed.
[/quote]

Another great point. damn, Im 0 for 2. haha

I really didnt mean that.

I just wonder how many they contacted and talked to seriously but never got an application from.  With a situation like this there had better be some big names on that list.  If not.....man.  It would make it look worse.

A big name could make some of the WOS faithful calm down.  Not the majority but some.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder