Luke Domas' Essay (MUST READ)

In todays orange leader is Luke Domas' Essay he wrote to the coaches magazine about what he has been through in his 17 yrs of life. Great essay and Im sure he will become a great adult with what he has been through as a kid. I feel that its kind of unfair that a teenager has to have gone through this, but God put people through things to make them stronger. To this day, im still in shock of what I saw on that Friday night in September. I will never forget, and will always live my life 112%. And great job to the Orange Leader for publishing this.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="992633" timestamp="1301933307"]
I hope the Leader can get this on their online version.  I have heard many good things about this essay and I look forward to reading it.
[/quote]
I'm sure the OL will. It usually takes them a day or so before updating the online articles. The essay is very good.

TD, the magazine was the Texas Coaches Association mag. not sure if you can buy it. Think its only sent to coaches. it might be somewhere on the Texas A&M website. I believe it was an entrance essay for the University.

[quote name="kicker" post="993132" timestamp="1302021308"]
TD, the magazine was the Texas Coaches Association mag. not sure if you can buy it. Think its only sent to coaches. it might be somewhere on the Texas A&M website. I believe it was an entrance essay for the University.
[/quote]

I'm waiting on someone to email it to me now. If I get it before I leave for the Masters tomorrow I will post it here.

[size=18pt][b]Wisdom[/b][/size]

(Editor’s note: This essay by WO-S senior Luke Domas was submitted to Texas High School Coaches Association Magazine and published in the March 2011 issue)

[b]Special to the Orange Leader:[/b]

Wisdom often comes, not from knowledge, but from trying and tragic life experiences. I have attained wisdom beyond my short seventeen years that serves as a constant reminder of how precious life can be.

On November 18, 2005, my nineteen year old brother was leaving College Station and traveling to a high school playoff football game with friends. Just minutes after leaving town on Highway 30, the vehicle he was in was hit by a young eighteen year old who fell asleep at the wheel. My brother was killed instantly. My mom and I were also traveling to the game and had plans of meeting him in the parking lot because we had his ticket. When the phone call came with the tragic news, I was in shock. My first reaction was that the news was not true. It took me a while to finally believe the news. My big brother was my role model and best friend. I did not think I could handle this terrible situation because I was only twelve years old.

With help from my family and friends and especially my faith in God, I learned to cope with this tremendous loss. During the last five years, I have really come to understand how to live every moment to the best of my ability. I have tried to live my life as a strong Christian. I never realized that my strength and faith would be tested again at such a young age and my experience would allow me to help others with loss and grief.

On September 17, 2010, I ran out onto the football field with my teammates and best friends. We were playing one of our rivals and were very excited about the game. I play center and one of my best friends, Reggie, was the quarterback. I snapped the ball to him and blocked for him as he threw a fantastic pass into the corner of the end zone for a touchdown. He ran to the sidelines while I stayed on the field to snap for the extra point. When I ran to the sidelines to celebrate with him, I found him collapsed on the ground and surrounded by coaches. Moments later he was taken away in an ambulance. The game continued and I had no doubt we would receive word later in the game that he had suffered a mild concussion or had heat exhaustion. He was an awesome athlete and in great physical condition. It never crossed my mind that something bad would happen to him.

With less than three minutes to go in the game, word swept the sidelines that Reggie had died. I could not believe it. Once again I was in shock. As I looked across the field, I saw my coaches and teammates all crying and in shock just like me. Some had fallen to the ground, they were so distraught. I remember crying and saying over and over “It’s not fair. It’s not fair”. After a long night and very little sleep, I began praying and searching for answers. I dreaded returning to school on Monday because Reggie and I had many classes together. I especially dreaded going to football practice. I did not know how I could ever walk into the field house without Reggie.

It did not take me long to realize that God needed me to be an example for my classmates, teachers, coaches and friends. Reggie had been our team captain and leader both on and off the field. He was voted our junior class favorite and won Homecoming King. Everybody liked Reggie because he was a nice guy, smart student in honors classes, exceptional athlete and great friend. He had made a difference in my life while living and I wanted him to continue making a difference in the lives of others even after death. I had already suffered a great loss and was proof that life does go on, so I decided I needed to be a role model and use what I learned from losing my bother to help others. More importantly, I needed to remember Reggie and the impact he had on my life.

I first met Reggie in the second grade. We competed with one another for a trophy our teacher was giving to the student who knew their multiplication facts the best. I won first place and Reggie won second. He gave me a hug and was proud of me. As a second grader, he had good sportsmanship. All through elementary school, junior high and high school we competed in the classroom, but on the football field, we worked together as one. Reggie played football in elementary school, but I did not start until junior high. I was shy and unsure of myself on the field. Reggie encouraged me to continue playing. He taught me to push myself and to always give one hundred percent.

His high school jersey number was twelve, which he incorporated into his personal motto, because he always expected more from himself as the quarterback and team captain. His motto was to “Give 112%”. After losing Reggie, I have set a goal for myself to “Live Life 112%”. Abraham Lincoln once said, “It’s not the years in your life that count, it’s the life in your years.” Some people spend a lifetime not realizing how fragile life is, but it has only taken seventeen short years for me to understand and appreciate the value of life and how many people can be touched and changed by a single person. Although I will never understand how my nineteen year old brother and seventeen year old best friend had to leave this earth so soon, I do understand that life is a precious gift that must not be taken for granted.

[i]Texas A&M Undergraduate College Application Essay Written By: Luke Domas, Senior at West Orange-Stark High School, Orange, Texas.[/i]

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="993961" timestamp="1302117938"]
Each parent of a young boy is tasked with seeing their son grows into a man.  Luke Domas' parents successfully accomplished theirs because this essay shows that Luke Domas is a MAN in every sense of the word.
[/quote]

I concur 112% just wish there was an alternate route for him to become a man. But in life, you play with the cards dealt.

Wow....from the mouth of babes! He surely did speak some words of wisdom and I'm going to make sure my teen aged boys read this essay. His outlook and attitude is amazing and he seems wise beyond his years. I pray God blesses Luke with his future and when He does, that Luke remembers to give ALL the glory to Him!! Best of luck as you go and conquer the world Luke!! Congratulations to your parents for a job well done!! I have no doubt that you are beaming with pride!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder