Possible LU Basketball Coaches

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am talking about HS coaches coaching at LAMAR PA, not coaching a the div 1 level, your all on Cross Jock and he coaches at LAMAR PA lol you acting like this is some big school that coach cross is coaching at, I would take joubert and Sutherland anyday over Cross, Lamar can bring in a descent div 1 assistant to be the coach I can promise you that. I never said that Joubert and Sutherland could coach at the div 1 level so get the facts straight!!!

Well Sir, you didn't do a good job in the written English language for me to know you were talking about Joubert and/or Sutherland coaching at a junior college? I thought you were stating they were better options as Lamar's next MBB Head Coach.

Then you are wrong about being on Coach Cross's jock as I've only posted his bio and stated based on that bio he has won everywhere he has coached. If that is being on his jock, there are a few other people hanging on a few.

Thanks for the reply; not a lot better English but at least I could make out your point.

remember there is a reason why Kountze and HJ are good yr in and yr out, its because of the coaches!!! JUCO to divison 1 coaching is totally different I can promise you that, I would rather hire a good assistant  from div 1 school than a Head Coach at Lamar PA and thats 27 yrs old!!!

Actually, he is 28 and a lot of coaches have got their break in their late twenties and early thirties. Again, I am not saying he (Cross) should be the next Lamar University coach but I bet Coach Tidwell talks with him.

Coach Tubbs was so impressed he invited Coach Cross to last seasons basketball banquet while he was still AD.

This year LSC-PA made it to the DI national tournament. That is right a sorry school like little Lamar State College-Port Arthur is one of 16 teams still playing.

[quote name="Green Menace" post="981262" timestamp="1299872057"]
No reason why Lamar can't go after top assistants at some of the up and coming programs.  George Mason, Richmond, Belmont, Cleveland State, Missouri State, etc.  Tidwell will find someone that can put Lamar back on the map.
[/quote]

Need someone with Texas ties. If someone at those schools has that I'm all for it. I'm sure you are right, Coach Tidwell will get the right guy!

I'm not saying that I believe Matt Cross should be the next coach, but has anyone been to downtown PA lately.  And he is recruiting talent to play there?  And they have beaten San Jac, a perinnial  national JUCO power in each of the last two years and are going to the JUCO Nationals!  I would say he has done a job at LSC-PA akin to what Billy Tubbs did when he showed up in 1976 as head coach at LU.  Given the right opportunity, I think this kid will do amazing things at the D1 level in the future.  Maybe Roc should have hired him as an assistant last year.

I am changing my opinion on Pat Knight.  If he is interested in the job (assuming that Roc is gone) I would support Coach Knight getting an interview.  This is based solely on the way he has handled himself in the aftermath of his release at Tech.  He is a class act, and may have just been over his head in the Big 12.  He coached under arguably the greatest basketball coach in college hoops. played for him as well and spent time at other "big name" programs. 

Not saying that he should be the guy, but would support his getting interviewed and then I trust Tidwell to make the best decision.

[quote name="bball11" post="981266" timestamp="1299872358"]
remember there is a reason why Kountze and HJ are good yr in and yr out, its because of the coaches!!! JUCO to divison 1 coaching is totally different I can promise you that, I would rather hire a good assistant  from div 1 school than a Head Coach at Lamar PA and thats 27 yrs old!!!
[/quote]

not saying hire not hire....

but he has more experience than Coach K did before his first headcoaching job..........

Bob Knight was 24 when he got his start as head coach

[quote name="sleepy" post="981125" timestamp="1299858168"]
[quote author=coachacola link=topic=81354.msg981117#msg981117 date=1299856269]
I agree with Green Menace so hopefully Rodney Terry at UT will not be considered for the LU job.
[/quote]

He is being considered!
[/quote]

That would be another huge mistake. We need a coach not a recruiter.  Granted, many times they go hand in hand but we need someone that has proven they can win as a head coach. 

[quote name="bball11" post="981253" timestamp="1299871291"]
I am talking about HS coaches coaching at LAMAR PA, not coaching a the div 1 level, your all on Cross Jock and he coaches at LAMAR PA lol you acting like this is some big school that coach cross is coaching at, I would take joubert and Sutherland anyday over Cross, Lamar can bring in a descent div 1 assistant to be the coach I can promise you that. I never said that Joubert and Sutherland could coach at the div 1 level so get the facts straight!!!
[/quote]

I thought you were an idiot then you began posting and removed all doubt.

[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="981329" timestamp="1299877799"]
I'm not saying that I believe Matt Cross should be the next coach, but has anyone been to downtown PA lately.  And he is recruiting talent to play there?  And they have beaten San Jac, a perinnial  national JUCO power in each of the last two years and are going to the JUCO Nationals!  I would say he has done a job at LSC-PA akin to what Billy Tubbs did when he showed up in 1976 as head coach at LU.  Given the right opportunity, I think this kid will do amazing things at the D1 level in the future.  Maybe Roc should have hired him as an assistant last year.
[/quote]

I agree totally.  What he has done is amazing.  And to ignore it would be ignorant.  I would much rather have him than another "recruiting ace" no matter where they are from.  We need someone that knows how to coach (and recruit)!!!

Dont forget that Cross recruited a pretty good talent in David Laury to LSCPA. A 6'8" 210 lb SG.
Then he kicked him off the team midway through the season!

So he can recruit and knows the game as well.

I'm still a Bubba Skelton fan, but my best case scenario would be Skelton as HC with Cross as one of his assistants.

My gut (which is rather large these days) is that a press release will be sent out today that stating the university is supporting roc and he will return for the 2011-12 season. Just a hunch.

If Lamar is strapped for cash, then why did they pull out of the South Dakota football game and now have to pay up? And why is Tubbs still making over a $100K?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder