Two Longtime Newton Assistants get axed

Word on the grapevine is longtime Newton assistant coaches Lidney Thompson and Gene Waukoviak will not get new contracts for the 2011-2012 school year. This is not the decision of new head coach WT Johnston, but an effort by the Newton School Board to cut cost for the new school year budget. The board has decided to not offer contracts to personnel that have retired from teaching and are receiving retirement money from Teacher's Retirement and have been rehired by the district. This cost the district extra money to do as they have to pay a penalty to the state education fund for these people. So let's just kick out 80 years of coaching experience to satisfy a pencil pusher. Makes sense to me. ::)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="ChampionEagles" post="963744" timestamp="1297290622"]
Word on the grapevine is longtime Newton assistant coaches Lidney Thompson and Gene Waukoviak will not get new contracts for the 2011-2012 school year. This is not the decision of new head coach WT Johnston, but an effort by the Newton School Board to cut cost for the new school year budget. The board has decided to not offer contracts to personnel that have retired from teaching and are receiving retirement money from Teacher's Retirement and have been rehired by the district. This cost the district extra money to do as they have to pay a penalty to the state education fund for these people. So let's just kick out 80 years of coaching experience to satisfy a pencil pusher. Makes sense to me. ::)
[/quote]Gene to Jasper?

Take emotion out of this and the only part that makes no sense is the fact that these employees are
1. Retired from the education system and recieving a pension.
2. Working for the same education system and recieving a paycheck.
They and many others are double dipping the system. It should not be possible. If they want to come out of retirement and coach or teach because they are good at it, they enjoy it and are needed that would be fantastic. It is nothing personal with these two fine coaches it just does not make good financial sense.

[quote name="kville68" post="963944" timestamp="1297342621"]
Take emotion out of this and the only part that makes no sense is the fact that these employees are
They and many others are double dipping the system. It should not be possible. If they want to come out of retirement and coach or teach because they are good at it, they enjoy it and are needed that would be fantastic. It is nothing personal with these two fine coaches it just does not make good financial sense.
[/quote]

good post. EVERYONE in the state is having to tighten their belts. This move makes sense.

Let's b#$%^ a little more about teachers and coaches.  The state says that the minimum salary for a teacher is 43,000.  How many other jobs do you know of where someone with 30 years in the same job make this little.  I have friends with high school educations that made way more than this the first year out of high school.  And dont tell me that schools can pay more than that.  I know they can and most, not all, do. Even if a school pays 12000 above, that's still just 55,000.

The minimun salary as set by the state of Texas for a teacher with zero years of experience is $27,500 a year.  Different schools have different starting pays.  Yes it is sad that they got fired and I do not blame them for double dipping cause I do not know anyone who whould not do it but when the school has to pay a fine for each year they are on contract then they become the first target to get cut.  This was a financial decision made by the district not a bash against these two individuals.

[quote name="football" post="963952" timestamp="1297344469"]
Let's b#$%^ a little more about teachers and coaches.  The state says that the minimum salary for a teacher is 43,000.  How many other jobs do you know of where someone with 30 years in the same job make this little.  I have friends with high school educations that made way more than this the first year out of high school.  And dont tell me that schools can pay more than that.  I know they can and most, not all, do. Even if a school pays 12000 above, that's still just 55,000.
[/quote]salaries are based on year of experience 0 years-27,320 to 20+years - 44,270. that is state min.... other districts feel this not enough and pay more... in the Houston area  44,270 is what a 3 year experienced teacher would make....
why does other districts pay more??.... they have more revenue and cost of living is higher…

as for your coach only making 55,000 with his coaching stipends and you say that is not a lot of money…do me a favor and look up the average combined income of your area (Newton)… I know the average COMBINED income in Kirbyville is like $50,000… NOW DOES YOUR COACH MAKE A LOT OF MONEY IN HIS AREA… 55,000 AND RETIREMENT ON A SINGLE INCOME??? THAT IS MORE THAN TWICE THE AVERAGE

if the district is struggling then they have two choices:  make cuts or create more revenue other than what the state gives you...
which means more people have to move to Newton and pay tax.....

the state makes the district pay if a district hires a retired teacher, this is to inspire districts to hire younger teachers, teachers with more technology training to inspire the younger generation to learn rather than “just open you book to page 320 and read, test on Friday”

If you really are concerned about the coach losing his job and not receiving 2 pay checks then I have a solution for you…. The state says to be payed for coaching an extracurricular activity you do not have to be a teacher… you just have to be hired as a full time by the district….. IF THEY WANT TO COACH have them take a position as maintenance or a full time sub… pay would be less but they get to do what they love to do…. COACH.

[quote name="spoonbill" post="963990" timestamp="1297349030"]
i'm sure they could continue in their positions without being paid and live off of their pensions as most retirees do. most retired people find a hobby to take up their spare time.
[/quote]they are right by the lake... go fishing.. learn the area and be a fishing guide.... does not sound like a bad retirement to me.. lots of ex coaches do it.. i even know some coaches who quit because they were making more money being a guide

[quote name="kville68" post="963944" timestamp="1297342621"]
[/quote]
Double dipping? They paid into the retirement system over a lifetime of work and then took advantage of being a conscientious, hard working employee by reaping the benefits of their work and you call this double dipping. They do not receive state benefits like all other state employees nor do they receive state retirement like all other state employees. A state highway department worker with out a college degree receives better insurance and better state retirement than teachers. As America and Texas together fall further behind the world in the quality of educating our children let's continue to blame teachers and cut money needed to educate the young. There's a great rally cry "LET'S BE MORE MEDIOCRE".  

[quote name="ChampionEagles" post="963994" timestamp="1297349365"]
[quote author=kville68 link=topic=80066.msg963944#msg963944 date=1297342621]
[/quote]
Double dipping? They paid into the retirement system over a lifetime of work and then took advantage of being a conscientious, hard working employee by reaping the benefits of their work and you call this double dipping. They do not receive state benefits like all other state employees nor do they receive state retirement like all other state employees. A state highway department worker with out a college degree receives better insurance and better state retirement than teachers. As America and Texas together fall further behind the world in the quality of educating our children let's continue to blame teachers and cut money needed to educate the young. There's a great rally cry "LET'S BE MORE MEDIOCRE".  
[/quote]that its ture but the state matches what they put in... so dont say the state does nothing... and they did not pay social security...think about all the money you put into SS and put it to retirement... that is what teachers do...
as for the youth falling behind... THAT IS WHY THEY ARE HIRING YOUNGER TEACHERS... they are trained...

[quote name="ChampionEagles" post="963994" timestamp="1297349365"]
[/quote]
[/quote]

the term "double dipping" is a widely used term for those retired and rehired.... i've heard several administrators use this term.... it's not a knock. It used to be a lot more popular for the older set to do this. No one is discounting what these men have done/are doing for kids. All districts across the state are having to cut anywhere from 1 million to 10's or 100's of millions of dollars. It's gotta start somewhere. No one wants to be mediocre.... they're just being forced to do their best with a lot less $$.

[quote name="hitman009" post="964000" timestamp="1297350196"]
[quote author=ChampionEagles link=topic=80066.msg963994#msg963994 date=1297349365]
[/quote]
[/quote]that its ture but the state matches what they put in... so dont say the state does nothing... and they did not pay social security...think about all the money you put into SS and put it to retirement... that is what teachers do...
as for the youth falling behind... THAT IS WHY THEY ARE HIRING YOUNGER TEACHERS... they are trained...
[/quote]

And the moon is made of green cheese....

And the moon is made of green cheese....???

you kinda just proved my point with a OLD saying like that..

I have no problems with the 2 coaches let go... i know they have done a lot for their comunity...
I just understand the reasons for letting them go...
remember they are being let go for the teaching part... not for the coaching part...
they can still coach... just have to take a different position...

I am one of the old ones and remember a movie that the plot was to kill everyone when they reached 30. Seemed like a good idea until you reached 30, then ..... I do take exception to the idea that younger is better, more in the know on technology idea. I've paid for my kids to graduate from the University of Texas and I don't think in higher education they tend to stick with the younger is better idea. There are advantages to both and I don't believe they are mutually exclusive. There is no way to man all positions with nothing but "old" teachers, but there is also no way to man all positions with nothing but young teachers either. Especially in the poorer, rural areas. Many teachers over the years have left the profession for better paying jobs in the private sector, not just young or old but both. Ideas made into law that make education spend money in ways that are not in the best interest of those your trying to educate are also to blame. I'm sure in every corporation there are provisions for "no employee left behind".

[quote name="ChampionEagles" post="964063" timestamp="1297355551"]
I am one of the old ones and remember a movie that the plot was to kill everyone when they reached 30. Seemed like a good idea until you reached 30, then ..... I do take exception to the idea that younger is better, more in the know on technology idea. I've paid for my kids to graduate from the University of Texas and I don't think in higher education they tend to stick with the younger is better idea. There are advantages to both and I don't believe they are mutually exclusive. There is no way to man all positions with nothing but "old" teachers, but there is also no way to man all positions with nothing but young teachers either. Especially in the poorer, rural areas. Many teachers over the years have left the profession for better paying jobs in the private sector, not just young or old but both. Ideas made into law that make education spend money in ways that are not in the best interest of those your trying to educate are also to blame. I'm sure in every corporation there are provisions for "no employee left behind".
[/quote]true..i also see both sides... there is something to gain by experience.. my grandfather is a retired iron worker. there are somethings i would take his advice on but. do i want him or when constructing a massive building..heck i think he would still use products that have abestis in it...
and i agree that the way our state spends money is crazy... but we vote for those who are in power and make those laws... kinda of hard to blame someone when we as a state put those people in office...
as for the "no employee left behind" there are many of corporations that face the same problems that our school districts are facing now..low budget and that cut backs are comming... they have to find a way to create more money or cut back on spending.. do you think they are  going to lose money because Joe Shmow has been with the company for 30 years...

Guest jacobmccandles
Hitman, don't compare college graduates with 30 years experience to some people that did not even graduate high school and are working for minimum wage.  Find out what the income is for college graduates with 10+ years experience in the area(do not include teachers).

[quote name="jacobmccandles" post="964108" timestamp="1297360830"]
Hitman, don't compare college graduates with 30 years experience to some people that did not even graduate high school and are working for minimum wage.  Find out what the income is for college graduates with 10+ years experience in the area(do not include teachers).
[/quote]why not compare?? we are talking about the community that pays for the teachers....
but if you want statistics here they are... this will explain why there is cut backs in the Newton area....

Newton has experienced a 10% drop of population... why have more teachers if you don't have the students...
Newton has a 12% unemployment rate.. hard to raise money with that.... people are not going to buy property with no money..68% of people own homes in Newton and 21% make less than 10,000 a year..

It is hard to compare college graduates with 10+ years of experience when only 9% of people who graduate from Newton get bachelors degrees... compared to 23% state average... And I bet most of the Newton's 9% college graduates have left the area to find better jobs... not many high paying jobs in Newton... newton's population only has 47% with HIGH SCHOOL DEGREES...
I can also bet that most of the college degrees that live in Newton are teachers...
either way a teacher, in newton, is a high paying job as compared to the community average salary..

I understand both sides of this issue as well. Folks, be prepared...this is not the exception any longer, it is becoming the rule. In an effort to tightnen up the purse strings, schools are taking some gut-wrenching, unpopular measures. It is unfortunate to say the least. Much wisdom is being lost in the process.

Great coaches and teachers are being riffed without replacement, or being replaced by less costly employees. This is not just a Texas trend, but a national trend. We are in the midst of a deep recession (regardless of what governement mouthpieces tell you otherwise), and good folks are reaping what corrupt folks have sewn. What's happening here in our state is a microcosm of the larger, national picture.

Saying that "trained", younger folks is a wonderful solution to the problem is so over-the-top offensive that it hardly merits a repsonse. However, to make a point, I will opine:

Blanket statements suggesting that all older personnel educate by saying “just open you book to page 320 and read, test on Friday” shows lack of understanding on the issue. Many wonderful, teachers, coaches are much more than educators...they are MORE IMPORTANTLY mentors to some very troubled kids. It's hard to understand what a mentor is unless you've lived [i][b]for [/b] [/i] a time and [i][b]through[/b][/i] some times. I have respect for old and young alike, but when I need some wise councel, I go to the one who has the experience. Incidentally, wisdom may not come with age, but it most certainly comes with experience.

If education" is the end-all, then by all means, let's fire every teacher and let the computer itself teach the children everything there is to learn. After all, isn't that the trend..."facilitater", "guide to the side", and other overused catch words and phrases coming from campuses near and far. Teaching is much more than disseminating information whether through a textbook or via the current technology, which changes faster than schools can afford to update it.

We are in trouble in this business and many other government-run businesses as well. Raising taxes at this time will only crush consumer confidence and small business entrepeneurs alike. If a tax hike was fiscally savvy, then why did the Obama administration agree to do something it said it never would...extend the Bush-era tax cuts?

Until we hold government officials accountable for ill-advidsed and out-of-control spending habits, and tighten up our belts at the same time, we may never see an America that looks like the one that our founding fathers and so many others like them have fought to preserve.

Best regards to two fine people and all others like them. You will be missed by your students.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder