Lamar to the WAC- April 2011

Cat79

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Jack0" post="969408" timestamp="1298267294"]
[quote author=coachacola link=topic=79479.msg969367#msg969367 date=1298253412]
Over at BobcatReport.com (another Texas State sports forum), the Site Admin is reporting that a WAC official said that the conference is looking to add Lamar, Seattle and Utah Valley State.  That would be 8 for football, 11 for basketball.  I think the ultimate goal is 9/12.  He also said Montana wants to join the WAC but they are tied to Montana State which does not want to go.

http://bobcatreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=542&sid=03cb4d6b99898d3f63b6421ea4b83e58
[/quote]

Hey guys -

I'm the site admin at BR.  I've known about your candidacy since the Dallas meetings.  Your reps met Benson informally and started a dialogue very quietly.  My source had never heard of your school and walked away impressed.  They like how Lamar handles their business and the potential of the Triangle as a DMA viewing area and the fertile recruiting ground us Texans know of already.

What I have been told is that your school was very cautious and really thought this through, and an invite is imminent.  The administration didn't want people making decisions for them outside the program via the media.  The other big thing I have heard is that maybe you will not accept immediately if you don't feel you are ready.

You can come BS with us at bobcatreport.com about it and I promise to tell you guys if I hear anything at your site.

Thanks,

Jack
[/quote]

Thanks for the update.  I am confidant that LU will not make a move unless Dr. Simmons is convinced it willl work.  I am sure he and his team are working this diligently to make happen if possible.  As I have said before, I will trust Dr. Simmons.  By the way, what is a DMA viewing area?

[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="969481" timestamp="1298306606"]
[/quote]

Thanks for the update.  I am confidant that LU will not make a move unless Dr. Simmons is convinced it willl work.  I am sure he and his team is working this diligently to make happen if possible.  As I have said before, I will trust Dr. Simmons.  By the way, what is a DMA viewing area?
[/quote]

DMA stands for Designated Market Area.  Nielsen (TV) & Arbitron (radio) divide the country up into regions/areas where they make audience measurements.  Technical speaking it means we can receive the same (or similar) television, radio station offerings, and other types of media such as newspapers and Internet content (such as SETXSPORTS!)

A WAC official told a source last week that the conference is looking to add Lamar, Seattle and Utah Valley St. in another wave of expansion. Also told Montana wants to join the WAC but Montana St. not interested and that would have to be a package deal.

BTW, BYU has recently joined the WAC for softball.

Everyone, including myself, is frustrated by the slow movement for Lamar joining the WAC. However if I was President of Lamar, I
would dot my "i" and cross all my "t" before announcing. I think this what Lamar is doing. If Lamar was not making the move, I
think they would have stopped all this FBS talk by now. There is no rush, as frustrating as it is, to announce today. I'd start
worrying after April is nothing is announced.

The WAC forum has not researched Lamar. Many there believe Lamar is a start up program instead of a return to football school.
Many there don't know Lamar was in the same conference with Central Florida, North Texas, and ULL. Many there don't know Lamar was once in the Sunbelt. Many there don't know Lamar played at FBS level. They think Lamar is an academically low school. They don't know
Lamar is one of the top engineering schools and 1 of only 17 doctoral research schools nation wide. Also on the track for Tier 1.

[quote][quote name="UNLV" post="971533" timestamp="1298568157"]
Everyone, including myself, is frustrated by the slow movement for Lamar joining the WAC. However if I was President of Lamar, I
would dot my "i" and cross all my "t" before announcing. I think this what Lamar is doing. If Lamar was not making the move, I
think they would have stopped all this FBS talk by now. There is no rush, as frustrating as it is, to announce today. I'd start

The WAC forum has not researched Lamar. Many there believe Lamar is a start up program instead of a return to football school.
Many there don't know Lamar was in the same conference with Central Florida, North Texas, and ULL. Many there don't know Lamar was once in the Sunbelt. Many there don't know Lamar played at FBS level. They think Lamar is an academically low school. They don't know
Lamar is one of the top engineering schools and 1 of only 17 doctoral research schools nation wide. [b]Also on the track for Tier 1[/b].
[/quote][/quote]

On track for tier one?  - Negative.

Here is a list of future Tier one schools:
UTA, Texas Tech, UTSA, U of H, UNT, UTD

[quote name="Bearkat25" post="971570" timestamp="1298570935"]
[quote][quote author=UNLV link=topic=79479.msg971533#msg971533 date=1298568157]

Lamar is one of the top engineering schools and 1 of only 17 doctoral research schools nation wide. [b]Also on the track for Tier 1[/b].
[/quote][/quote]

[/quote]

Where did you get your list of future tier 1 schools.  I didn't think any of these where on the list. especially U of H.  Last time I checked they where at the top of tier 4 only.  But it has been a while since I have looked.

[quote][quote name="jdcurran235" post="971583" timestamp="1298572143"]
[quote author=Bearkat25 link=topic=79479.msg971570#msg971570 date=1298570935]

[/quote][/quote]

[/quote]

Where did you get your list of future tier 1 schools.  I didn't think any of these where on the list. especially U of H.  Last time I checked they where at the top of tier 4 only.  But it has been a while since I have looked.
[/quote][/quote]

University of Houston is officially a tier one school. This is from their site. http://www.uh.edu/about/tier-one/

Here are links to the other schools joining UT Austin, TAMU and Rice as tier one schools:

http://texaspress.com/index.php/other-services/news-releases/1294-three-tier-one-university-presidents-on-proposition-4

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/highereducation/entries/tierone_universities/

Forgot to add UT El Paso as well. Lamar nor anyone else is in the running...

[quote][quote name="jdcurran235" post="971607" timestamp="1298574238"]
In the article it talks about a pathway for other schools to become tier 1.  I wonder if one of LU's goals is to work towards this.  I know we have just recenctly been recognized as a research university, but we still have a long way to go to become tier 1.
[/quote][/quote]
It’s not as easy as it looks. We've had the same "Carnegie Doctoral Institution" at SHSU for quite some time now. To have a chance at all you need to increase research spending by A LOT and increase the amount of Ph.d's by A LOT. UH is huge and they produce a lot of doctorates. You must also increase the size and ranking of the sciences. [b]Our administration has us on track to be a top ten university in the state of Texas that will place in the same conversation as the tier one schools however we will not get the funding of tier one schools. [/b] Here is the link to our strategic planning document:
http://www.shsu.edu/administrative/splan/documents/2008-2009SPCReport.pdf

Here are a few of our awards:
http://www.shsu.edu/about/documents/KatFacts.pdf

This is what UofH did to become tier 1.  That does not mean that our numbers have to be the same but I am sure we need to be somewhere close.  Does anyone know where we actually stand compared to these numbers. (Besides the 76MM endowlment)

•At least $45 million in restricted research expenditures. In 2010, UH had more than $90 million.
•Endowment assets of $400 million. In 2010, UH had just under $500 million.
•Phi Beta Kappa chapter or membership in the Association of Research Libraries. UH is an ARL member.
•At least 200 Ph.D.s awarded annually. UH has averaged 200 doctorates for the past three years.
Three other guidelines are being finalized and will address freshmen admissions, graduate programs and faculty quality. UH leaders are confident the school will already exceed these standards, or will be able to attain them in a reasonable period of time.

[quote name="Bearkat25" post="971570" timestamp="1298570935"]

[/quote][/quote]

[/quote]You fruit of the looms don't know nothing about nothing. A phrase i use here often.
Lamar is on track for tier 1. Lamar is lagging behind the schools you mentioned. It was announced a few years ago and I posted
it on the other Lamar forum before it shut down. Lamar tier 1 won't happen over night. Lamar  will be an 80 million dollar research. UT-Austin is 300 million in comparison. Texas wants the school named after the Father of Education to be tier 1.

[quote][quote name="UNLV" post="971834" timestamp="1298593828"]

[/quote][/quote]

[/quote]You fruit of the looms don't know nothing about nothing. A phrase i use here often.
Lamar is on track for tier 1. Lamar is lagging behind the schools you mentioned. It was announced a few years ago and I posted
it on the other Lamar forum before it shut down. Lamar tier 1 won't happen over night. Lamar  will be an 80 million dollar research. UT-Austin is 300 million in comparison. Texas wants the school named after the Father of Education to be tier 1.

[/quote][/quote]

I forgot that UNLV made that post. Everyone knows that everything UNLV posts lacks credence...

[quote name="Bearkat25" post="971844" timestamp="1298594396"]
[quote][quote author=UNLV link=topic=79479.msg971834#msg971834 date=1298593828]

[/quote][/quote]

[/quote][/quote]

I forgot that UNLV made that post. Everyone knows that everything UNLV posts lacks credence...
[/quote]

Nah, I don't agree with everything UNLV post but some of his comments have merit.

[quote name="Bearkat25" post="971844" timestamp="1298594396"]
[quote][quote author=UNLV link=topic=79479.msg971834#msg971834 date=1298593828]

[/quote][/quote]

[/quote][/quote]

[/quote]Exactly...

[quote name="UNLV" post="971834" timestamp="1298593828"]
Lamar is on track for tier 1. [/quote]

Once again you make a blank statement without any type of evidence.  Kind of shows you know nothing about nothing.  Go ahead and list where LU is at in terms of research funding, type and number of advanced degrees offered, endowment, etc.  Lets see just how "on track" LU is . . .

When you can provide some actual evidence maybe a person or two will actually take you seriously.  But I guess since LU has research funding, confers degrees, and has an endowment fund, they're "on track" in your mind.  

[quote name="SabineRavine" post="971940" timestamp="1298603239"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=79479.msg971834#msg971834 date=1298593828]
Lamar is on track for tier 1. [/quote]

Once again you make a blank statement without any type of evidence.  Kind of shows you know nothing about nothing.  Go ahead and list where LU is at in terms of research funding, type and number of advanced degrees offered, endowment, etc.  Lets see just how "on track" LU is . . .

When you can provide some actual evidence maybe a person or two will actually take you seriously.  But I guess since LU has research funding, confers degrees, and has an endowment fund, they're "on track" in your mind.  
[/quote]

Ravine at one time I thought you were affiliated with LU, but now I'm pretty sure you are just another naysayer with intent to discredit and slander Lamar at every opportunity.  You do have some soul mates who visit this site.

Nope North, sorry if it seems that way.  My posts are solely directed at UNLV in response to his deriding everyone who doesn't back his unfounded claims.  Actually I post on here quite a bit under another name.  LU '93, now running a small business in Houston.

I just created this username because I grew tired of UNLV always coming off as knowing it all while only providing a "because I said so" justification.  When he starts backing up his claims, I'll back off.  

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    NEWton86
    Newest Member
    NEWton86