Top 5 Coaches in SETX?

BADSANTA

Brian English.....Nederland Bulldogs....Can't argue with this one...Coach English has brought basketball back to Nederland with a winning tradition. A district championship and good playoff run speaks for itself. He is developing Nederland's basketball program from little dribblers, into middle school, and throughout highschool. This was demonstrated tonight as Nederland won the Gulf Coast Classic championship!!!!......Thank you Coach English...BASKETBALL IS NO LONGER A SECONDARY SPORT IN NEDERLAND!!

[quote name="basketball2016" post="939595" timestamp="1293674182"]
Brian English.....Nederland Bulldogs....Can't argue with this one...Coach English has brought basketball back to Nederland with a winning tradition. A district championship and good playoff run speaks for itself. He is developing Nederland's basketball program from little dribblers, into middle school, and throughout highschool. This was demonstrated tonight as Nederland won the Gulf Coast Classic championship!!!!......Thank you Coach English...BASKETBALL IS NO LONGER A SECONDARY SPORT IN NEDERLAND!!
[/quote]

One sport in the past that Big Ned would slip up and let the other schools grab a playoff spot, not any longer.

[quote name="FanintheStands" post="939666" timestamp="1293681527"]
I agree that Coach English deserves to be on the list, but how can you even start the list without including some coaches with State titles?!?!?

Sutherland and Joubert fit that bill.  And, though he doesn't have any state titles, Coach Williams does have what, 2 or 3 state appearances?

C'mon, Man!
[/quote]

There are plenty of good coaches without state titles.

[quote name="stevenash" post="939674" timestamp="1293682667"]
[quote author=FanintheStands link=topic=78063.msg939666#msg939666 date=1293681527]
I agree that Coach English deserves to be on the list, but how can you even start the list without including some coaches with State titles?!?!?

Sutherland and Joubert fit that bill.  And, though he doesn't have any state titles, Coach Williams does have what, 2 or 3 state appearances?

C'mon, Man!
[/quote]

There are plenty of good coaches without state titles.
[/quote]I don't recall claiming otherwise.  I even included two of them.

But how can you even start the list without looking at coaches with multiple state titles?!?

C'mon, Man!

3 of the best are retired or not coaching at the time Gamble,Williams and Boutte.Also some of the best local coaches are assistants.The best head coaches and assistants in my opinion and this is in no particular order Sutherland, English, T Williams, L Williams, Joubert and West for the head guys.Brooks,Davis and Hoffpauer are head coaches that happen to be assistants right now but could be head coaches anywhere they chose to be.There are several more that I don't know personally that do a good one is from Kountze and another over at HJ.There are also some really good small school coaches that do a good job year in and year out ,Foster at Big Sandy and the head guy over at West Hardin has been sucessful at several places over the years.The coaches don't get enough credit because the ones I've mentioned have been successful wherever they go.

There are bad coaches with State Championships and there are good coaches with no championships.  There are also good coaches without State Championships and good coaches with Championships. If you want to really know if a coach is good or not, you need alot of information into him.  The most telling is if a coach came into a program that was not winning and turned the program around and it is a lasting thing.  IMO

[quote name="east texas bb" post="939724" timestamp="1293698417"]
There are bad coaches with State Championships and there are good coaches with no championships.  There are also good coaches without State Championships and good coaches with Championships. If you want to really know if a coach is good or not, you need alot of information into him.  The most telling is if a coach came into a program that was not winning and turned the program around and it is a lasting thing.  IMO
[/quote]

Well stated.

[quote name="BADSANTA" post="939829" timestamp="1293730551"]
Best coachs ever in SETX are Fred Williams, Todd Sutherland, Andre Boutett, and James Gamble. Do you agree?
[/quote]

I can agree with that, but you left out the most successful coach from Southeast Texas, Buna's Cotton Robinson. He won 7 state titles at Buna.

[quote name="et531303" post="939817" timestamp="1293727946"]
Coach Ben West from Anahuac needs some credit to, look what he has done to program. I am sure there are a lot people that can agree with this.
[/quote]Check my post above,West was in my top 5 head guys and I also gave Jason some props at West Hardin.

Sutherland, English, Joubert, T. Williams for sure.

Sutherland has over an 80% winning percentage for his career, state titles, etc. - just incredible.

English build Nederland from the bottom and is building a program, from LD on up.  He'll be consistently good there, and he had to fight "the powers that be" in Nederland at first to get it going.

Joubert and T.Williams have been consistently good for a while now.

Nice thing about all 4 of these guys is that they are good people and they try to teach their kids the right way to play and to act.  I'd be proud for my sons to play for any of these guys. 

There may be others worthy of consideration, but these 4 are good coaches and good people that you like to see succeeding.

My vote goes for Calobe Isaacs at Spurger. I know he doesn't have the record of the other coaches mentioned but he is not only a coach to our students but a Christian influence also. He not only encourages the boys but the girls as well. He is a very positive influence for ALL students. Thanks Coach Isaacs for all that you have done and continue to do for all the Spuger pirates on and off the court.

Don't forget that English got Vidor to being co-district champs with Ozen in the early 2000s.  Outside of Ozen, the only two district champs the whole last decade were coached by Coach English. 

And regarding building his program, I saw Nederland CO Wilson play Mauriceville Middle School (7th grade A).  They totally destroyed MMS about 75-20, and this is an MMS team that was undefeated,already having beaten Little Cypress and Vidor by 20+.

[quote name="Basketball 2016" post="939595" timestamp="1293674182"]
[/quote]
It's hard to not agree with this choice. English is in the top 5 for sure, and probably the top 2. After bringing Vidor out of a 'forever' slump in the playoffs in Basketball playoffs, he accomplished a play off appearance by the 3rd year he took over. I don't think Vidor EVER went to the playoffs before he arrived. During his fourth year, they went 29-6 and made a deep run in the playoffs-Lost to Nacogdoches in College Station (I think)to one Damion James. He brought his team to the playoffs 2 additional times. Then, after just 3 years at Nederland, he again lead the dogs to a winning season and a trip to the playoffs for only the 2nd time 50 years. Last year, Nederland won it's 1st District title in over 55 years!! Coach English is on pace to make another deep run in the playoffs this year. From the 7th grade ranks to the Varsity level, EVERY team is winning in high frequency. If he stays around, he'll have many more playoff runs for at least 5 years. He can validate his legacy with a trip to the final four in Austin.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder