Best RB's in WO-S history

bigred360

Well, I remember Brian Cleveland, Williams but can't remember his first name. Then I know Ernest Anderson and one other played at Oklahoma State. So, I know there have been at least 6 major college RB's from WO-S. I just can't remember their names. If you can name more go for it as I'm trying to make a point to a poster on another board.  ;D

The Williams you are talking about is Eric, who went to UT.  You also have Kerry Franks, Sr., who like Anderson went to Okie State.  Kendall went to LSU.  Brian went to Georgia.

I'm not sure of any more D1 backs (Gasilla, griff or td would know if there are more), but there have been plenty of solid backs who probably got DI-A or JC scholarships like Scottie Littleton, Terrence Brown, Jelmar (?) Rhodes and the Garrett boys.  Not to mention guys like Bruce Aven, who probably would have played some college ball if he had not signed to play pro baseball.

Let me just put it this way, if Coach Hooks and Coach McCarty had to put together a team of WO-S alumni, depth at the running back position would not be a problem.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="937524" timestamp="1293044832"]
The Williams you are talking about is Eric, who went to UT.  You also have Kerry Franks, Sr., who like Anderson went to Okie State.  Kendall went to LSU.  Brian went to Georgia.

I'm not sure of any more D1 backs (Gasilla, griff or td would know if there are more), but there have been plenty of solid backs who probably got DI-A or JC scholarships like Scottie Littleton, Terrence Brown, Jelmar (?) Rhodes and the Garrett boys.  Not to mention guys like Bruce Aven, who probably would have played some college ball if he had not signed to play pro baseball.

Let me just put it this way, if Coach Hooks and Coach McCarty had to put together a team of WO-S alumni, depth at the running back position would not be a problem.
[/quote]

Thanks for both replies as I remember most of the names mentioned. As for Bruce Aven, he was a 1990 HS grad from WO-S as was my brother (LC-M). Aven signed to play baseball at Lamar before his professional baseball career. He was a heck of a football player and if I remember correctly the Mustangs went deep in the playoffs that year.

Guess, I was wrong about the 1989 team as this site has WO-S losing to C.E. King in the first round.

http://texashsfootball.com/board/index.php?s=2beac92d5ea4c7854a266e782413b873&showtopic=22174

WO-S All-Time leading rusher, 3,257 career rushing yards DePauldrick Garrett/Lamar.

West Orange-Stark RB DePauldrick Garrett is another in a long line of prospects to come from Coach Dan Hooks’ football factory in SE Texas. Garrett who is 5’8, 175 pounds and boasts [b]4.5 speed [/b]had a huge junior season in helping the Mustangs to an 11-1 record before falling to Giddings in the Class 3A Area Playoffs.

http://hstexas.scout.com/a.z?s=378&p=2&c=645258&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fhstexas.scout.com%2f2%2f645258.html

Yea, 1984 wasn't one of WO-S' better years as we (LC-M) almost beat you guys. That hasn't happened very often in that series. LC-M maybe has won twice in 30 years.  :o I think Homer Rhodes and the 1983 team and Buster Ascol and the 1994 team beat the Mustangs. The later was in a rain storm!

Back to the topic, I remember playing against Harold Green. If I remember right he was great at track too.

In my years(95-99), we had some good ones. Mackolous Toler, Bretlin toler, Jamaal(tootie) Warnell, Tim Feathers (also my teammate at UH), etc. We have always had awesome backs. And dont forget, even though he is the best rookie defensive back in the NFL this year, Earl Thomas was a running back at WOS.

[quote name="kicker" post="938746" timestamp="1293484798"]
In my years(95-99), we had some good ones. Mackolous Toler, Bretlin toler, Jamaal(tootie) Warnell, Tim Feathers (also my teammate at UH), etc. We have always had awesome backs. And dont forget, even though he is the best rookie defensive back in the NFL this year, Earl Thomas was a running back at WOS.
[/quote]I thought Earl was a WR on offense?

Did Rick Orebo play RB while at WO-S? I know he got a scholarship from LSU as a FS. What happened to him after college? Is he in the area or living away for SE Texas?

I remember playing against him from youth football in Orange County on up to High School but lost track of him after he went to Baton Rouge.

He was a great athlete.

[quote name="bigred360" post="937589" timestamp="1293063457"]
Agree in HS it was one of the Cleveland brothers. However, in college it was Earnest Anderson who was drafted by Detroit.
[/quote]
I graduated in '79 with Ernest, along with Greg Hill who as a DB played in the NFL.  Ernest led the nation in rushing his junior year in college.  The number two rusher in college that year was Hershel Walker.  Unfortunately, Ernest suffered a knee injury his senior year and was never the same.

Guest dawg4life
wow!! i am in jasper and i dont know much of wos player history before u all dropped down to 4a in the late 80s but i do know from playing against the one mustang who as freshmen seemed like a man amongst boys and forgive me i mis spell name but Adrian Street was a helluva helluva!! unfortunatly my ole mind aint right and cant remember but did he ever go on play college ball? and didnt have a son who was just a mustang a few seasons ago??

[quote name="bigred360" post="939050" timestamp="1293561659"]
Did Rick Orebo play RB while at WO-S? I know he got a scholarship from LSU as a FS. What happened to him after college? Is he in the area or living away for SE Texas?

I remember playing against him from youth football in Orange County on up to High School but lost track of him after he went to Baton Rouge.

He was a great athlete.
[/quote]

Rick played safety while at WO-S.  I don't think he ever saw the field at LSU.  He was a great athlete and a great leader on that 1985 team.

[quote name="dawg4life" post="940483" timestamp="1293850478"]
wow!! i am in jasper and i dont know much of wos player history before u all dropped down to 4a in the late 80s but i do know from playing against the one mustang who as freshmen seemed like a man amongst boys and forgive me i mis spell name but Adrian Street was a helluva helluva!! unfortunatly my ole mind aint right and cant remember but did he ever go on play college ball? and didnt have a son who was just a mustang a few seasons ago??
[/quote]
His name was Adrian Steen.  He started for WO-S as a Freshman, which is almost unheard of at WO-S.  He was originally from California and moved back there after his Freshman year, which is why you never heard from him again.  'Not sure if he played college ball.  It was his son who played at WO-S recently. 

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="940485" timestamp="1293850646"]
[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=77900.msg939050#msg939050 date=1293561659]

He was a great athlete.
[/quote]

Rick played safety while at WO-S.  I don't think he ever saw the field at LSU.  He was a great athlete and a great leader on that 1985 team.
[/quote]

I watched all of the backs on the list except for Ernest and to me, Adrian Steen Sr. was the most impressive of them all.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder