Carthage vs. Coldspring State Championship Game Predictions/Fri. 4PM

Guest TEAM

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="OUTLAW69" post="933138" timestamp="1292371276"]
[quote author=rykerx144 link=topic=77333.msg932909#msg932909 date=1292340827]

thats your opinion!  I dont think he actually meant it!   but I do think he was badge flashing!!  LOL

[/quote] Lets get one thing straight write now my comment yesterday was not asking somebody to meet me for a fight. It was for scooter to find me in a crowd sit down beside me and watch a good football team. And for u to accuse me of something that stupid is unacceptable. Trust me when i say this, that is your only warning
[/quote]

"that is your only warning"  what does that mean? 

[quote name="house" post="933489" timestamp="1292422440"]
[quote author=OUTLAW69 link=topic=77333.msg933138#msg933138 date=1292371276]
[quote author=rykerx144 link=topic=77333.msg932909#msg932909 date=1292340827]

thats your opinion!  I dont think he actually meant it!   but I do think he was badge flashing!!  LOL

[/quote] Lets get one thing straight write now my comment yesterday was not asking somebody to meet me for a fight. It was for scooter to find me in a crowd sit down beside me and watch a good football team. And for u to accuse me of something that stupid is unacceptable. Trust me when i say this, that is your only warning
[/quote]

"that is your only warning"  what does that mean? 
[/quote] :o

I havent seen setx blown up like this in awhile. Glad to read scooter is keeping it intresting. also glad to see some Coldspring folks getting on here. It will be a great game friday, but I still think Coldspring will win it by 12. Last time I checked 1 stud on offense and 1 stud one defense dosent win everything. Carthage will consentrate on one running back and coldspring will have the other studd running back  with the ball. They are to versital imo. Good luck to both teams. I hope it is a clean safe game

[quote name="Bigdaddy79" post="933720" timestamp="1292441003"]
I havent seen setx blown up like this in awhile. Glad to read scooter is keeping it intresting. also glad to see some Coldspring folks getting on here. It will be a great game friday, but I still think Coldspring will win it by 12. Last time I checked 1 stud on offense and 1 stud one defense dosent win everything. Carthage will consentrate on one running back and coldspring will have the other studd running back   with the ball. They are to versital imo. Good luck to both teams. I hope it is a clean safe game
[/quote]

If this is the same Carthage Football team I saw back when they dismantled Jasper and the rest of 183A for two years then Coldspring is about to find out what versatile really is. I will not make a prediction but I know they have got it going on up in Carthage TX USA.

[quote name="jeffcoat" post="933785" timestamp="1292447144"]
[quote author=Bigdaddy79 link=topic=77333.msg933720#msg933720 date=1292441003]
I havent seen setx blown up like this in awhile. Glad to read scooter is keeping it intresting. also glad to see some Coldspring folks getting on here. It will be a great game friday, but I still think Coldspring will win it by 12. Last time I checked 1 stud on offense and 1 stud one defense dosent win everything. Carthage will consentrate on one running back and coldspring will have the other studd running back   with the ball. They are to versital imo. Good luck to both teams. I hope it is a clean safe game
[/quote]

If this is the same Carthage Football team I saw back when they dismantled Jasper and the rest of 183A for two years then Coldspring is about to find out what versatile really is. I will not make a prediction but I know they have got it going on up in Carthage TX USA.

[/quote]

Well Coldspring kinda holding their own down here in the Piney Woods USA...yes sir doing fair to middlin... ;D

[quote name="Scooter!" post="933893" timestamp="1292462331"]
my official prediction: Carthage 35-28....Holland scores a late TD to win it
[/quote]          WOW . .    Scooter u being soft with that predicted.  . . CARTHAGE win by 14 or more!. . . Hey i have seen both teams play THIS YEAR!!

[quote name="One4All" post="933920" timestamp="1292464208"]
[quote author=Scooter! link=topic=77333.msg933893#msg933893 date=1292462331]
my official prediction: Carthage 35-28....Holland scores a late TD to win it
[/quote]          WOW . .    Scooter u being soft with that predicted.  . . CARTHAGE win by 14 or more!. . . Hey i have seen both teams play THIS YEAR!!
[/quote]its for state man, i dont think either state game will be a blowout (meaning 17+ would be it)

Grew up in the Golden Triangle, now in Pearland, so I'll be at the Pearland/Trinity game.

But my real passion right now is for Carthage Bulldog football, so I'll be an even louder fan for this one. My nephew and great-nephew have been a big part of the Carthage State Championship runs the last two years, and this will be my great-nephews last game as a SR.  I've seen most of the playoff games and some of the better district games, so most of my opinions come from watching not only Carthage, but some of the best 3A teams in the state (quarter-finals, semis, Championship games). It doesn't make me an expert, but it does give me some idea of what it takes to compete at this stage of the game.

To start, I'll post something below that I put on 3aDownlow; my apologies if you've all seen it already. Hopefully, we can also get some discussion going before I leave early Friday morning for Arlington.

-----------------------
OK, let me throw in my two cents on the Carthage offense vs. Coldspring defense, which I hear is pretty stout against the run.

The beauty in watching Carhage's offense go to work is that you can see the "chess match" taking place on most every down, with the QB Morgan being given lots of rein to audible into whatever the defense is giving him. He has several options every time they break the huddle, and you'll see him check into something other than the primary play-call a large percentage of the time. It's a well-oiled and balanced machine, with excellent EXECUTION that comes from all of these [b]same skill guys having worked together through last years Championshop as well as this year's run. [/b]

It's no secret that Hunter Holland is a beast who ran for more than 300 yards last week, because it was "there" for the taking. Stack the box to stop Holland, and you'll see why Morgan threw for just under 3300 yards this year. (74 TD throws the last two yrs)

So...lets say that Coldspring has the defensive line to pretty much stop Holland (and you just might from what I'm reading). But do you also have the secondary to match up with a prolific passing attack? Serious question, since maybe you have that too for all I know.

No one outside of the staff could tell you whether you'll see us come out throwing the ball all over the field or trying to play smash mouth. Probably a little of both until Surratt and/or Morgan see what's "there".

By the way, one of the biggest things I've learned while watching games all the way through the state finals the last two years was that the lopsided scores, physical mis-matches, and speed differences are a thing of the past once you reach the semis.

Some fans just refuse to believe that the games at this level will NOT be what you are used to seeing at a district or early playoff level. Brownwood fans found that out the hard way.

These two teams are in the Championship game for a reason, and I expect nothing less than a "knock down, drag out" (see, I told you I'm SETX) affair that will likely be decided by the same things that usually decide an evenly matched contest - execution under pressure, avoiding turnovers, special teams, etc...

Good article on Coldspring in Chronicle- http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/hso/7341504.html                                                                                          Good luck Coldspring!!!!!   Coldspring-28 Carthage-27                

I don't know about y'all but enough with all the talk let's get this on already.  It was cool to hear all the back and forth, but it has been a long week. I'm ready to see this happen. I had multiple dreams last night and in everyone of the the Coldspring Trojans were State Champs.  I know if I'm this excited I can't imagine how it is for the kids.

[quote name="rolldawgs" post="934026" timestamp="1292475092"]
OK, let me throw in my two cents on the Carthage offense vs. Coldspring defense, which I hear is pretty stout against the run.

The beauty in watching Carhage's offense go to work is that [b]you can see the "chess match" taking place on most every down,[/b] with the QB Morgan being given lots of rein to audible into whatever the defense is giving him. He has several options every time they break the huddle, and you'll see him check into something other than the primary play-call a large percentage of the time. [b]It's a well-oiled and balanced machine, with excellent EXECUTION [/b] that comes from all of these same skill guys having worked together through last years Championshop as well as this year's run.
[/quote]

Good post and observation...You're right in saying it'll be chess match....Def. Cord. Morrison is very technical and sound in his defensive game planning and approach....Coldspring will be ready for the audibles, etc.  It'll just come down to execution or lack thereof...

[quote name="rolldawgs" post="934026" timestamp="1292475092"]
Grew up in the Golden Triangle, now in Pearland, so I'll be at the Pearland/Trinity game.

But my real passion right now is for Carthage Bulldog football, so I'll be an even louder fan for this one. My nephew and great-nephew have been a big part of the Carthage State Championship runs the last two years, and this will be my great-nephews last game as a SR.  I've seen most of the playoff games and some of the better district games, so most of my opinions come from watching not only Carthage, but some of the best 3A teams in the state (quarter-finals, semis, Championship games). It doesn't make me an expert, but it does give me some idea of what it takes to compete at this stage of the game.

To start, I'll post something below that I put on 3aDownlow; my apologies if you've all seen it already. Hopefully, we can also get some discussion going before I leave early Friday morning for Arlington.

-----------------------

The beauty in watching Carhage's offense go to work is that you can see the "chess match" taking place on most every down, with the QB Morgan being given lots of rein to audible into whatever the defense is giving him. He has several options every time they break the huddle, and you'll see him check into something other than the primary play-call a large percentage of the time. It's a well-oiled and balanced machine, with excellent EXECUTION that comes from all of these [b]same skill guys having worked together through last years Championshop as well as this year's run. [/b]

It's no secret that Hunter Holland is a beast who ran for more than 300 yards last week, because it was "there" for the taking. Stack the box to sto Holland, and you'll see why Morgan threw for just under 3300 yards this year. (74 TD throws the last two yrs)

So...lets say that Coldspring has the defensive line to pretty much stop Holland (and you just might from what I'm reading). But do you also have the secondary to match up with a prolific passing attack? Serious question, since maybe you have that too for all I know.

No one outside of the staff could tell you whether you'll see us come out throwing the ball all over the field or trying to play smash mouth. Probably a little of both until S.  urratt and/or Morgan see what's "there".

[/quote]great post. . . . CS will see the best Qb they have seen all year. . .  As far as reading a D. . . .the way this Qb(Morgan) audibles at the line is 2nd to non

[quote name="RCOLE68" post="934046" timestamp="1292483163"]
Good article on Coldspring in Chronicle- http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/hso/7341504.html [/quote]

Nice article, however, the stats for both players are way, way off....Cummings has probably 1,100 more yds and 15 more td's than the article shows and Gilbert is probably less than 200 yds from having 2000 yds rushing for the season (that's with missing the first 3 games of the season due to injury)...His td total is also off...

As a former mass communication student I'm always surprised when writers don't double check/verify their work, especially when it comes to figures, etc...Afterall they're putting their name on it and the piece is going to be around forever in some kind of format...It'd also be nice for the kids to be able to show their kids, grandkids, etc. a story on them with the correct info...Just my opinion...

[quote name="MEM" post="934182" timestamp="1292507891"]
[quote author=RCOLE68 link=topic=77333.msg934046#msg934046 date=1292483163]
Good article on Coldspring in Chronicle- http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/hso/7341504.html [/quote]

Nice article, however, the stats for both players are way, way off....Cummings has probably 1,100 more yds and 15 more td's than the article shows and Gilbert is probably less than 200 yds from having 2000 yds rushing for the season (that's with missing the first 3 games of the season due to injury)...His td total is also off...
As a former mass communication student I'm always surprised when writers don't double check/verify their work, especially when it comes to figures, etc...Afterall they're putting their name on it and the piece is going to be around forever in some kind of format...It'd also be nice for the kids to be able to show their kids, grandkids, etc. a story on them with the correct info...Just my opinion...

That's like a couple weeks ago when a guy from the Cleveland Advocate wrote a story about making history after beating Athens.  He obviously did not know our school history as he wrote that in 1996 we lost to South Lake Carrol in the semi-finals.  He was basically saying that if we beat Wimberley they would make school history which would be inaccurate not to mention the game with South Lake Carrol was in 1992 in the finals.  We actually lost in 96 to Sealy in the semi finals.  If we win tomorrow that will be history.
[/quote]

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder