Coldspring vs. Athens/Let's hear it!

WOSgrad

[quote name="falconfanatic" post="921845" timestamp="1291036837"]
wow 1800 yards in 13 games that comes out to an amazing 138 yards a game. Your going to need more than that to beat coldspring.
[/quote]

I didn't say that it would beat Coldspring,I said if they keep throwing the ball....That is just a stat I posted on what Athens has done so far..WOW..!!!!! ;D

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="falconfanatic" post="921878" timestamp="1291041143"]
Kville you said if Athens throws the ball they will win then posted a stat about their passing. I said that their average of 138 yards a game isn't going to beat coldspring. So they will have to throw for way more than what they average, because Athens will have trouble running the ball.
[/quote]

With that I totally agree..I don't think Athens can run the ball against Coldspring...The only way I see is for them is to throw the ball.. ;)

Athens can throw the ball especially if Coldspring gives one on one all night like they did Kirbvyille.  Athens can run the ball... QB is very athletic and he will get loose. 

Coldspring has a punishing run game and with their formations and quick snaps and tough running by #24 and blazing speed by #1 I say this game could reach the 30s. 

Athens can and will score in the air and their QB will bust an option or two.  But I will give the nod to Bryan Barbay and the boys in the end:  Trojans 36  Athens 32

Go Trojans!

The Jaws theme will be playing all night!

I have seen both teams play, and I don't see Athens winning this game.  Coldspring will be too physical for them up front, and will run the ball successfully against the Athens D.  Athens' best bet is to throw the ball to #10 early and often.  He is a good one and the QB can throw.  The secondary is the one weakness CS has shown.  But, I don't think Athens QB will have much time, because the CS defense will be swarming him all night.  Should be a good game, but in my opinion (not from either town) CS will just have too much for Athens. 
Prediction:  Coldspring 35  Athens 14

Guest Air Bisquit
[quote name="MEM" post="921181" timestamp="1290933195"]
Don't really know anything about Athens (other than they're supposedly having either their best year ever or one of the best ever)....Going to have to do a little research on them and see what I can find out...

My attitude concerning Athens is that they didn't get 4 rounds deep by not being a really good team...They've got to be doing something right...

[b]Anyone seen them play this year or have additional info concerning best players, etc?[/b][/quote]

I have seen them play.

They run the wing t.
The QB is their best player, when they do pass he is a run 1st and throw 2nd qb.
Offensive line is big and physical and quick.
Fullback is very good between the tackles.
Defensive line is big, but very fast, If Coldspring tries to run side to side they will be in trouble.
The secondary flies to the football and they are physical as well.

They are by far one of the better teams in their region.

[quote name="Kville_Kats" post="921838" timestamp="1291035459"]
[quote author=BigWildcat11 link=topic=76704.msg921794#msg921794 date=1291007855]
[quote author=chs11 link=topic=76704.msg921406#msg921406 date=1290975192]
[quote author=Kville_Kats link=topic=76704.msg921192#msg921192 date=1290948074]
[quote author=KFDM KERRY COOPER link=topic=76704.msg920887#msg920887 date=1290915990]
I think Coldspring wins this week then it will be really tough against Wimberely.
[/quote]

I totally agree Coop...Wimberly in my humble opinion will go against Brownwood for all the marbles... ;)
[/quote]

Yall were predicted to beat wimberly to go to the state championship game, so what does that say about us? ;) ;) ;)
[/quote] For you chs11 .... I will pick Coldspring by less than a touchdown .. may be some letdown after our game ... play hard, play clean, play with class ..  ;D ;D ;D

for Mr. Coldspring ... Athens by 14 ... just because your you  >:( >:( >:(
[/quote]

Athens if they throw the ball ,will win this game...Coldspring has a weak secondary,cannot defend the pass well,I think Athens has thrown the ball for over 1,800 yds so far this season ....JMO
[/quote]

It would be nice if Coach Barbay would put Matt Wilson in on passing downs to get a little more pressure on there QB, Maybe Matt knocks a couple passes down at the line. Huffman threw the ball pretty well aginst us and we handled them ok. I dont think Barbay was expecting K-Ville to come out throwing the ball. I think he was more concerned with containing Ford.

Coldspring has not been this far since '96 when we mad it to the Semi-Finals against Sealy.  I'm hoping they can go much further and win it all.  Should be a good one in Huntsville tomorrow.  I think we can win this one and move on.  I look forward to seeing the town locked down and everyone at the game.  Last person out of town turn the lights off!

From Smoaky

Athens senior Zabdiel Mota has made 84 consecutive XP's, which is the "FOURTH" best mark in UIL history and 30 from the record.

Here's the list of the all-time best:

James French, China Spring (114, 2007-08)
Jason Bondzio, Humble (93 straight, played from 2001-03)
Scott Miller, Houston Memorial (91, 2003-06)
Earnesto Guevara, Waco High (88, 2006-08)
Zabdiel Mota, Athens (84, 2008-Current)*
Kyle Matthews, Copperas Cove (84, 2004-06)
Michael Scott, El Paso Franklin (79, 2004-06)
Marshall Young, Conroe McCullough (76, 1990-91)

*Through Brookshire-Royal

[quote name="kcat-fan" post="924662" timestamp="1291344760"]
I think CS will handle them...the only problem might be that they pose a pass threat, but I don't think it will be enough to out score the Trojan's running attack....CS by 14+
[/quote]

No one gave Athens a chance against Brookshire Royal,And they pulled out the win..Athens can pass the ball pretty fair...If they play four quarter football it won't be a run away... ;)

Really the only passing game they have is over the top or short screen passes to #5, nobody else really gets thrown to, then their leading rusher has had a gimpy ankle these past two weeks, but it was enought to beat BR so we still need to watch out defensively, but offensively I feel pretty confident in our scoring against their 50 look. Hopefully us by 14+.

Can't wait for the game.  I felt like last week we could win because of how the first meeting went and really felt from that we could beat Kirbyville.  This week I'm really anxious because I don't know much about Athens.  I know they are good to make it this far.  Can't wait for kickoff though to get these butterflies out.  Go Trojans!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder