Port Neches-Groves vs. Manvel Game Thread/Manvel Advances 56-46/Comments

WOSgrad

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats to the Alvin Manvel Mavericks. they were the better team. Good Luck to Alvin going forward.

To fatmav, the PF calls were not "bogus" on either side. The officiating crew actually called a very good game and I believe it was back to back PF calls on a PNG defender that was the swing in this game. For the first time all night PNG had pinned the Mavs back next to their own goal line on the opening kickoff of the second half and had made a couple of good plays on 1st and 2nd downs, when we made a couple of critical mistakes and Manvel took control of the game for the next 12 minutes.

As far as pulling all the starters early, your coach did pull his starting QB for two plays, but #9 the TB that was tackled for the safety was in and out of the game all night. He was not some 4th string kid that never plays, and the starting O-Line was still in the game. Manvel was able to pull a PNG on us last night with it's depth. We tend to have better quality depth than most teams we play because we have large numbers in our porgram for a school with 1400 students. Last night Manvel was able to subtitute in and out all night and not skip a beat which helped to wear us down in the third Q. Gotta a little life in the fourth.

Proud of our Young Men and our coaching staff. Gave us all another great year of exciting football and tons of memories. Couldn't ask for more.

Ok guys, when you get to third round in the playoffs you know the teams are gonna be tough. Thats what we saw last night a very tough team.  While I thought there were some dirty plays, all in all not a bad game.  Kids did very well to get this far.  There is absolutely no dishonor in losing to a team like Manvel.  Better than every team since the late 90's should be very proud.

Proud of our Young Men and our coaching staff. Gave us all another great year of exciting football and tons of memories. Couldn't ask for more.
[/quote]
Well said. Five games into this football season PN-G sported a 1-4 record. At that point not many fans thought we would be playing in the 3rd round of the playoffs. With hard work, dedication, and some personal moves on D, these kids never quit the next 8 games. I would like to thank the 2010 PN-G Indian football team for a successful season and the memories that go with it. Good luck to all the seniors in the future..

[quote name="pirate68" post="921112" timestamp="1290923132"]
[quote author=akifan94 link=topic=76698.msg921098#msg921098 date=1290922516]
[quote author=Eagle11 link=topic=76698.msg921093#msg921093 date=1290922213]
[quote author=akifan94 link=topic=76698.msg921085#msg921085 date=1290921515]
Safety. Two TD's. Two 2 point conversions. Congrats to Manvel. For all their talent they are the dirtiest team I have ever seen. I am not sure how Manvel can have two players get penalized for punches to the head of our players and Padia gets ejected for protecting himself. Also Thompson gets a personal foul for pumping his fists while #17 taunted the ENTIRE game. A whole lot of talk for a player who made one catch. Like I said lots of talent, just hate seeing such bad attitudes and poor sportsmanship.
[/quote]
And for PNG, there was no bad attitude and poor sportmanship? It kinda went both ways.
[/quote
Sure. But nothing like Manvel. Look I am not making any excuses. We got beat by the better team. I just think it is a shame to have so much talent and to be such a good team then to go and show your a** like they did. We had 6 penalties and 3 were for personal fouls. They had 16 and probably at least 10 were personal fouls.
[/quote]Its football...Just because a team gets a PF penalty does make them dirty..Like I said earlier they had 10 PF penalties thats 150 yards worth..Png did not take advantage of this..Its funny to me that a few fans get on here after every game complaining about how dirty Pngs opponent was.If you go back and look at the season stats you will see that Png was not a bunch of choir boys themselves..
[/quote]Manvel was the better team but if you would have been at this game you would have seen what they are
talking about.. There were several times there were late hits that were not even called

first of all let me say i know i don't have a dog in the fight but i figured a fresh prospective might help clear the air.  My team didn't make it to the playoffs but i enjoy watching hs football so i drove to baytown to watch this  game.  I'm not a fan of png or manvel,  i'm a fan of good football.  
If i said that the calls for personal fouls were a little slanted i would be understating a fact.  Manvel got away with more than png did.  There were several call that I watched happen against png were retalitory on the behalf of png.  The fans on the manvel side were a bit over the top but it's hard to tell what all's going on from the png side when your sitting on the png side.  So i'll call that a wash.  However at no point did i EVER  see any players from png taunting the manvel side like i witnessed the manvel players doing.  not just one player but several throughout the game.  Nor did I see coaches jumping up and chest bumping during the game like the manvel coaches were doing.  Manvel no doubt has a good football program when it comes to running plays successfull, but i sure did leave with a bad taste in my mouth for the manvel program as a whole due to the lack of sportsmenship.  From the coaches all the way down to the players.  It honestly made me want them to loose and hope like heck that when they face the next opponet that they get some of their own medicine.  And i just wanted to watch a good game.  Thanks manvel, you showed me what to teach my kids not to grow up and be.  

[quote name="badndn" post="921284" timestamp="1290960507"]
Congrats to the Alvin Manvel Mavericks. they were the better team. Good Luck to Alvin going forward.

To fatmav, the PF calls were not "bogus" on either side. The officiating crew actually called a very good game and I believe it was back to back PF calls on a PNG defender that was the swing in this game. For the first time all night PNG had pinned the Mavs back next to their own goal line on the opening kickoff of the second half and had made a couple of good plays on 1st and 2nd downs, when we made a couple of critical mistakes and Manvel took control of the game for the next 12 minutes.

As far as pulling all the starters early, your coach did pull his starting QB for two plays, but #9 the TB that was tackled for the safety was in and out of the game all night. He was not some 4th string kid that never plays, and the starting O-Line was still in the game. Manvel was able to pull a PNG on us last night with it's depth. We tend to have better quality depth than most teams we play because we have large numbers in our porgram for a school with 1400 students. Last night Manvel was able to subtitute in and out all night and not skip a beat which helped to wear us down in the third Q. Gotta a little life in the fourth.

[/quote]I just so happened to know a little more about the the Mavericks line up than you, as my son been a starting defense for years now.  But we were just sitting here watching the film... and yes the 4th team O line and skill players were in the game.  Now you can argue that but look at the film and see who started and who was in when you guys made a run.  And what changed the game was adjustments, athletes and being the better team on the field.  No tricks and crying for flags... Just strapping up and punishing the opposition.

[quote name="wouldsmith" post="921314" timestamp="1290962945"]
first of all let me say i know i don't have a dog in the fight but i figured a fresh prospective might help clear the air.  My team didn't make it to the playoffs but i enjoy watching hs football so i drove to baytown to watch this  game.  I'm not a fan of png or manvel,  i'm a fan of good football.  
If i said that the calls for personal fouls were a little slanted i would be understating a fact.  Manvel got away with more than png did.  There were several call that I watched happen against png were retalitory on the behalf of png.  The fans on the manvel side were a bit over the top but it's hard to tell what all's going on from the png side when your sitting on the png side.  So i'll call that a wash.  However at no point did i EVER  see any players from png taunting the manvel side like i witnessed the manvel players doing.  not just one player but several throughout the game.  Nor did I see coaches jumping up and chest bumping during the game like the manvel coaches were doing.  Manvel no doubt has a good football program when it comes to running plays successfull, but i sure did leave with a bad taste in my mouth for the manvel program as a whole due to the lack of sportsmenship.  From the coaches all the way down to the players.  It honestly made me want them to loose and hope like heck that when they face the next opponet that they get some of their own medicine.  And i just wanted to watch a good game.  Thanks manvel, you showed me what to teach my kids not to grow up and be.  
[/quote]Watch the film... you'll change a lot of how you feel.

When Coach Martin came to Manvel this is what he brought with him. It is Lakota sioux for "it's a good day to die" the way Coach Martin uses it is to sacrafice yourself for the good of the team. Hoka Hey was born in the 2007 season in the first game vs Hitchcock when the Mavs made a near miracle comeback in the 4th qtr & the game ended with the Mavs having gone 4 & out on the 1yd line & losing by 3 pts. Kids played their hearts out to get back in that game.

[quote name="fatmaverick" post="921316" timestamp="1290963074"]
[quote author=badndn link=topic=76698.msg921284#msg921284 date=1290960507]

[/quote]I just so happened to know a little more about the the Mavericks line up than you, as my son been a starting defense for years now.  But we were just sitting here watching the film... and yes the 4th team O line and skill players were in the game.  Now you can argue that but look at the film and see who started and who was in when you guys made a run.  And what changed the game was adjustments, athletes and being the better team on the field.  No tricks and crying for flags... Just strapping up and punishing the opposition.
[/quote]So your saying it was a good " CLEAN " game of football

Got no problem with the Manvel battle cry.
I mean really PNG folks, we yell "Scalp 'Em Indians, Scalp 'Em". And we love it! It's just a battle cry!
Let's not be hypocrites.
Our team lost to a better, deeper team, that has some discipline issues that will eventual cost them when they play a team that makes them pay for it. We let our emotions get the best of us last night a few times as well and it cost us.

Remember folks, Defense wins Championships and neither team last night was very good defensively. LaMarque is very good on defense. I see a LaMarque W and yet another LaMarque state title game. Not bad for one of the smallest 4A schools in Tx.

well it was a game to remember lol. It was nice to meet pngproud and ndnwarrior and the other fella, forgot who he was lol. Exciting game to say the least. tit for tat the whole game. The pic 6 early in the first was basically the back breaker when it came down to the end. The onside kick was something that i will never forget , a thing of beauty and it is something that must have been practiced on over and over and over, congrats to the mavs they have a very talented team no doubt, we hung in the first half but a quick score and then the onside which we were wanting to do to start the second half in the stands was brilliant. Then  the unanswered 35 points was just a little to much for the indians to overcome. I believe if we went for two every time we scored it might have been a different story. yall won the turnover battle and that was key. the overall team speed was very impressive. We got beat by the better team not gonna thrive too much on the personal fouls, we all know how that distirict is. it is probably the toughest in the state no doubt, nevertheless it was a great game, i want to say thanks to all the players, coaches, fans, the band and all the other high school football  teams out there for memories and games i was able to attend. It was a great year and was a bumpy ride no doubt, cant wait till next year it should be fun. Good luck to the mavs, dont think lamarque will show you no mercy next week though will be tough. As for the honkahey yell it all you want nothing wrong with supporting your team, again good luck to the mavs you have a very talented team.

[quote name="injun" post="921325" timestamp="1290964206"]
[quote author=fatmaverick link=topic=76698.msg921316#msg921316 date=1290963074]
[quote author=badndn link=topic=76698.msg921284#msg921284 date=1290960507]

[/quote]So your saying it was a good " CLEAN " game of football
[/quote]I never said it was good clean game... but some to the calls were BS. Both teams were getting in exatrs, it's an emotional game.  But don't sit here and act like you guys were angels and you did nothin the whole game.  Futhermore, look at you guys film from past games... it was dirty play in those also.  I will say that it did not determine the outcome of the  game.  We were just better.

[quote name="biaplayer" post="921340" timestamp="1290967218"]
well it was a game to remember lol. It was nice to meet pngproud and ndnwarrior and the other fella, forgot who he was lol. Exciting game to say the least. tit for tat the whole game. The pic 6 early in the first was basically the back breaker when it came down to the end. The onside kick was something that i will never forget , a thing of beauty and it is something that must have been practiced on over and over and over, congrats to the mavs they have a very talented team no doubt, we hung in the first half but a quick score and then the onside which we were wanting to do to start the second half in the stands was brilliant. Then  the unanswered 35 points was just a little to much for the indians to overcome. I believe if we went for two every time we scored it might have been a different story. yall won the turnover battle and that was key. the overall team speed was very impressive. We got beat by the better team not gonna thrive too much on the personal fouls, we all know how that distirict is. it is probably the toughest in the state no doubt, nevertheless it was a great game, i want to say thanks to all the players, coaches, fans, the band and all the other high school football  teams out there for memories and games i was able to attend. It was a great year and was a bumpy ride no doubt, cant wait till next year it should be fun. Good luck to the mavs, dont think lamarque will show you no mercy next week though will be tough. As for the honkahey yell it all you want nothing wrong with supporting your team, again good luck to the mavs you have a very talented team.
[/quote]Thanks... so does PNG!  The atmosphere they bring to the stadium is unreal!  I love it!  LaMarque beat us earlier in the season... and our team left there feeling they didn't adjust, tackle or take care of the ball well enough.  This time things will be different.  First and foremost the nuetral playing field!

Good to meet you as well, biaplayer.....its nice to be able to put faces with names on here. I wanted to take a pic of BrehnamCubFan for proof he was there.  A real nice gent indeed....as well as PNGProud.  We'll be back next year, for sure.  Love them Indians, ALWAYS BE FAITHFUL!

Manvel is a good team, and the speed was unreal. I thought it was a physical game, which I have no issues with. The only thing that gets me is when one Manvel player taunts the fans and the other team. #12 for Manvel, I manly seen him on special teams doing the tomahawk chop to our fans when they pulled ahead in the 3rd Q, and dancing towards our players, and raising his hands towards the crowd showed a lack of class IMO. The rest of Manvel I thought just played physical. That one player was the only one I had an issue with. It took me most of the night to figure out what they were saying on the other side and trying to pronounce the word in the flags.lol Good luck next week to Manvel, but I see LM winning that one.

[quote name="Scalp'em" post="921358" timestamp="1290969583"]
Manvel is a good team, and the speed was unreal. I thought it was a physical game, which I have no issues with. The only thing that gets me is when one Manvel player taunts the fans and the other team. [b]#12 for Manvel, I manly seen him on special teams doing the tomahawk chop to our fans when they pulled ahead in the 3rd Q, and dancing towards our players, and raising his hands towards the crowd [/b]showed a lack of class IMO. The rest of Manvel I thought just played physical. That one player was the only one I had an issue with. It took me most of the night to figure out what they were saying on the other side and trying to pronounce the word in the flags.lol Good luck next week to Manvel, but I see LM winning that one.
[/quote]

I saw the same thing.  Not to mention before the game started when our cheerleaders were putting up their signs a player from Manvel was asking them how many points they wanted to lose by.  ::)  My daughter told him he needed to worry about his 5 fans they had at that time.  She is a tough cookie and doesn't back down to anyone.

[quote name="NDNWarrior" post="921356" timestamp="1290969442"]
Good to meet you as well, biaplayer.....its nice to be able to put faces with names on here. I wanted to take a pic of BrehnamCubFan for proof he was there.  A real nice gent indeed....as well as PNGProud.  We'll be back next year, for sure.  Love them Indians, ALWAYS BE FAITHFUL!
[/quote]

It was great to meet you, biaplayer, and brenhamfan too!  Like you said, it was good to put a face with the name.  Although,  I couldn't sleep last night because of it!  LOL  j/k

Nothing more I can say about the game that hasn't already been said... except...

[color=purple][size=18pt]Go LA MARQUE![/size][/color]

[quote name="PNG Proud" post="921385" timestamp="1290972816"]
[quote author=NDNWarrior link=topic=76698.msg921356#msg921356 date=1290969442]
Good to meet you as well, biaplayer.....its nice to be able to put faces with names on here. I wanted to take a pic of BrehnamCubFan for proof he was there.  A real nice gent indeed....as well as PNGProud.  We'll be back next year, for sure.  Love them Indians, ALWAYS BE FAITHFUL!
[/quote]

It was great to meet you, biaplayer, and brenhamfan too!  Like you said, it was good to put a face with the name.  Although,  I couldn't sleep last night because of it!  LOL  j/k

Nothing more I can say about the game that hasn't already been said... except...

[color=purple][size=18pt]Go LA MARQUE![/size][/color]
[/quote]

It was nice to meet people from on here, at the game.  I even met 4 or 5 Manvel fans who were there several hours before the game as well.  Thanks for making me feel welcome.  I enjoyed tailgating, and I can not tell you how impressed I am with the hospitality that was shown.  Conversations, music, tv, food and of coarse, enjoying the atmosphere of a PNG playoff game...  It was an awesome experience!  The game went exactly as I expected.  I said it would be a 3 or 4 point game that could go either way, if Manvel turned the ball over more than twice.  If they limited the turnovers, I predicted 42-31, Manvel.  I knew it would be a high scoring game and it was.  It could have been a cleaner game, but Manvel hasn't played in a game that big, and you add in the crowd that PNG brings... Maybe that's the reason for all the talk. (I know the bigger the game is for us, the more we talk/taunt-nothing serious) I agree Manvel had a lot of personal fouls, but so did PNG. (including the most serious, the ejection for the shot below the belt) I was impressed with both fan bases throughout the game, except for the disrespect coming from the top of the PNG stands, while a Manvel player was injured.  You don't yell at the refs and coaches while players are injured.  I was shocked...  How low and disrespectful can you be.  Finally, another PNG fan stood up and turned around letting the guy know, how much of an a$$ he was being.  It almost caused a fight in the stands, but after hearing the stuff that guy was yelling, I totally agree with the guy that confronted him.  If he reads this, sir I applaud you!  PNG, keep your heads up, great season!  Manvel, good luck, we've scrimmaged y'all and y'all have the talent to make some noise.  Whoever wins this region, needs to make it 3 in a row over region 4!  I'll be there, in my green supporting y'all...