Port Neches-Groves vs. Manvel Game Thread/Manvel Advances 56-46/Comments

WOSgrad

[quote name="NewIndian" post="921818" timestamp="1291025065"]
Last night was the best officiated game ive seen all year, [b]but the Mavericks get no respect in my opinion because of how dirty the play was[/b], they got it next week with Lamarque if their like the old Lamarque they are just as dirty and they always have athletes with speed,now that ive gotten that out,  i wanna go and say how proud and disappointed i am with the Indians, they played their hearts out in the 4th but played down to manvels game in the 3rd. I and many other fans around me were calling for # 42 to be benched after that penalty, we will be back next year and back in the thick of it.

Go NDNs, peace, and scalp em
[/quote]
I guess your right. It isn't dirty that a PN-G hit a Manvel player in the genitals. Real clean play by PN-G? come on like i said before PN-G= dirty players and playing.

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to ignore all the comments about alleged racism and just say that Manvel was the better team and beat us because of that. After stopping to think about it I know how emotional the game can be to me as a fan. I can only imagine how intense it was on the field Saturday night. Great game by both teams and good luck to Manvel. I am going to assume the questionable things I saw were the result of an incredible football enviroment and an emotional game and not a reflection of Manvel's players and coaches.

[quote name="PhiloBeddo" post="921911" timestamp="1291043998"]
Getting beat happens to all teams.Manvel has been behind the woodshed this year also.Same thing happened to Manvel when they played Friendswood.Manvel couldn't keep up with Friendswood's quick strike offense.Receivers were to quick for Manvel to contain. Same thing last year.

I agree!

[/quote]

[quote name="badndn" post="921859" timestamp="1291039737"]
[quote author=fatmaverick link=topic=76698.msg921836#msg921836 date=1291035067]
I've been watching the Mavericks all year and this hasn't been a season of dirty football, late hits etc... We have kept our composure and played very well.  They are lead by one of the best Christian coaches you can find anywhere.  He has touched these kids life with simply being fair.  My son came to Manvel from another powerful 24-4A school and we felt at home immediatedly.  I'm proud of the Mavericks, the staff, the band, the spirit that's came alive around here.  But honestly we came to win a football game not a popularity contest.  PNG kids realized that this will not be an easy game and start wining to officials begging for calls etc... Just watch the film!  Mavericks showed up to win, not to be intimidated by the PNG players nor the mass following sitting in the stands.  Now quit complaining and come route for the Mavericks against LaMarque.  You are welcomed to wear purple!    
[/quote]
Again I ask have you "Watched the film?" ::)

I love the fact that because our team is predominantly white, we are racist! ::)
I would consider that a racial slur in itself!!!

I have watched the film maybe 3 times...
And I never brought up a race issue at all.

[/quote]

[quote name="NewIndian" post="921826" timestamp="1291031643"]
got down on their level with all the PFs that we got then, the 2 back to back that cost 30 yards and a TD.

old eagle ill still disagree with u on DJ, ive met the young man, he met with my sons team PNGYFA senior team and several other teams that were out there , the only different things for him to learn is to control his temper, he plays with a chip on his shoulder and i try to get my son to hit like him and play with that same intensity.
[/quote]
NewIndian......I agree with you.......Intensity is a key. All I am saying is people on other teams know their kids, think they are great people. You say he is a great kid then so be it.....he is a great kid. Can't kids on other teams play with a chip on their shoulder and be intense? It is about perception from what we see in the stands. PNG fans saw head butts.....who knows what was said before it took place. Could have been a racial slur, saying you suc#, we do not know. The heat of the battle makes good kids do crazy things.

I know im a little late on this, but couldnt get to a computer untill now, lol. Congrats indians on a great season. No one really thought yall were going to do much, but yall proved them wrong. Just goes to show, its the kids that decide what a season is going to be like, not us posters, polls, rankings, etc.

Wow, quite the thread here!

[quote name="API steve" post="921202" timestamp="1290949596"]
Maybe Manvil will learn how to win when their band learns how to march. What a joke....................
[/quote]

[quote author=KHS 89 link=topic=76698.msg921221#msg921221 date=1290954697]
Go back under the rock you crawled out from.  You will be watching the Championship game on TV just like we will.  The only person that should be embarassed is you for your pathetic posts.  You won. Enjoy it.  Your run comes to an end next week.  ;D
[/quote]

Sad, just plain sad to read things like this on this type of site.

Last week, it was Willis that played dirty. This week, it’s Manvel. Common factor in both games? PNG. Now there are even comments showing up in this and other threads that La Marque is dirty? Time to remove your rose-colored glasses.

I’ve seen Manvel play several times this season. They’ve never had penalties like they had Saturday night. What I saw was PNG players consistently being the instigators by being aggressive well after the whistle.

[quote author=tappedout link=topic=76698.msg921481#msg921481 date=1290982473]
. . .  I've seen a defense this bad do as much talking as they have done all season. [i][b]They did more talking than playing. I was sitting down low and we got lucky several time's for talking trash and then Manvel retaliated and got the 15 yard penalty instead.[/b][/i] The diffence is they made us pay for our penalties and we didn't take advantage of their's. Manvel had several late hit's and got penalized for most them. Manvel's #12 is a pretty dirty player as he hit several people in the back or blind-sided people after the play. We had our on dirty play's. DJ got put on the ground and he retaliated with a full sprint to level the guy in front of the ref. Padia just flat out hit the guy with an upper cut to the n$ts and got ejected. [i][b]So before we go on here talking trash on the other team's we better evaluate what we did. We were not angels out there![/b][/i] . . .
[/quote]

As so often happens, the retaliator is the one that the referees catch – not the instigator. Just like in the Texans / Titans game Sunday afternoon. Everyone knows that Finnegan is a dirty player, yet he gets away with s**t all game because he is an expert at hiding his cheap-shots from the refs. Johnson finally retaliates. Fortunately the refs tossed both players and not just Johnson. Same type of scenario happened throughout the Manvel / PNG game, but especially in the first half. Manvel was surprised and flustered by all the post-whistle instigation by PNG players, and retaliated. Extra pushing, hands to the helmet, and flags against the retaliator. You have to hand it to PNG – their tactics kept the game close in the first half.

[quote author=Warpaint101 link=topic=76698.msg920665#msg920665 date=1290910422]
[quote author=NDNWarrior link=topic=76698.msg920658#msg920658 date=1290910288]
Manvel plays dirty. 5th personal foul.
[/quote] They are only hurting themselves ....I hope they keep it up....If they were smart they wouldn't get caught ;D ;D
[/quote]

Sounds straight out of the Finnegan coaching manual.

[quote author=Warpaint101 link=topic=76698.msg920867#msg920867 date=1290915796]
Its football ,  its a dirty game ...just some don't get caught . :-X, geez everytime there is a play something is getting grabed ..squeezed , hit,kicked , punched,jabbed ,bit, eye gouge  its football. heck I am tired of hearing it....
[/quote]

Manvel’s coach probably gave the team a good talking to during the half time break, and they came out much more focused in the second half. PNG’s instigation continued, but the refs started catching it. 36 gets ejected, 42 gets back-to-back PFs, and the Mavericks focused on their game. Their speed advantage showed through. Game over. The PNG “faithful” start pouring out of the stadium with 10:28 left in Q4. The traffic jam exiting the stadium during Q4 was both amazing and sad. Manvel puts some of its 3rd and 4th string players in with the score 56-21 midway through the 4th, resulting in a safety, PNG having good field position from the ensuing kick, and converting that to a quick TD. That swung the momentum enough to make the game appear close.

[quote author=API steve link=topic=76698.msg921250#msg921250 date=1290957010]
Hoka Hey was something the legendary Sioux warrior Crasy Horse was shouting while going to war. "Hokay hey" can be interpreted as "It is a good time to die!" or "This is a good day to die."

This is your war Cry, very nice and lots of sportsmanship it shows. Oh wait that is the way you play the game too. Sounds like it should be in a rap songs and not from your classy fans............................
[/quote]

Let’s examine this: Manvel says “hoka hey,” which as you say can be interpreted as “it’s a good day to die.” But that is not quite accurate. The closer translation is “let’s roll” or “let’s do it.” But in any case, it is all about giving it your all. I can’t see how that is anything but a positive message. But how about “scalp ‘em?” Do you know what “scalping” is? It’s cutting off the top of your opponents head – after you have beaten them – as a trophy. Now THAT’S classy!

[quote author=GoDogs27 link=topic=76698.msg921563#msg921563 date=1290988939]
I swear PNG fans have on blinders. Any game I go to, I can find bad calls, no calls, 'dirty plays' etc.. One of the offensive lineman for PNG was playing dirty every play at the nederland game and never got called for it.. Its just football.. This is the reason i don't go to png games when they are in the playoffs.. png fans should be proud of where they got to considering how the season started.. Quit whining.. You're just making yourself and the entire PNG fan base confirm what so many of us already know...
[/quote]

Great conclusion!

I went to the game as an neutral spectator. I sat on the home side because I live closer to Port Neches and because of the atmosphere. It is almost like a collage game atmosphere. And I love a good high school game. I watched Newton earlier in the season and Kirbyville and Magnolia West just to name a few. Not trying to stir the pot but I was appaled at the play of Manvel. I thought they were the dirtiest team I ever saw. They won the game because they were oviously the better team. They did not need to have all the head slaps and head butts to beat PNG. There were good enough to win easily without that kind of play. The game was not as close as the score. The Indians only made a game of it because Manvel let up. I left at the start of the 4th quarter because the two guys I was with were leaving and the game was lopsided anyway. The early exedous that some were knocking PNG about could have been mostly neutral fans like I am. However, I don't think there is a team that doesn't have fans that leave early. Some people just want to "get a jump on the traffic". I usually stay until the end of a game no matter what but I did not know anyone else at the game. Oh, I must say that at many games this year and in years past I did not hear anyone complain about the refs like I usually do. When a flag was thrown everybody around me knew what it was for and did not complain. I heard very few "Aw come on ref" at this game. I was already gone when the punch to the groin took place. That could have been a retaliation but it should not have happened. PNG played a very good game and should be proud of their season. Manvel is a very good team but the "dirty play" is uncalled for. JMO

[quote name="Cardinal Supporter" post="922054" timestamp="1291054272"]
Manvel is a very good team but the "dirty play" is uncalled for. JMO
[/quote]

Very well said. I know I may stir the pot here but the countless number of Manvel players taunting of our players, fans, cheerleaders and Indianettes all showed major lack of character and sportsmanship. I even saw them taunting Faircloth himself. With the most unbiased perspective as posibble I'd have to say too that they are the most unsportsmanlike team Ive ever seen play. That is a DIRECT reflection of their coaching AND parenting. If I saw my son talking trash to the other teams cheerleaders or coaches...heck, even running his mouth to the other players he would be in for a rude awakening when he got home. But then again...some people have class. Just saying.

By the way...you can't really throw the entire Manvel team under the bus. Number 5 I think it was showed good sportsmanship after the game. We all know how upset DJ gets and after the game he just walked off the field by himself. Number 5 on Manvels team chased him all the way across the field and grabbed him and patted him on the back and told him good game. It was a very nervous moment to watch because we all know how emotional DJ gets but it went well. Anyway Kudos to number 5 from manvel...It was about the only act of good sportmanship I witnessed all night from that side.

Now...what a staging for a REMATCH!!!! INSTANT RIVALRY!!!! Now there is blood and BAD blood at that...I can't wait for Round 2.

HARD FOUGHT GAME.

[quote name="19Cherokee90" post="922065" timestamp="1291055439"]
[quote author=Cardinal Supporter link=topic=76698.msg922054#msg922054 date=1291054272]
[/quote]

Very well said. I know I may stir the pot here but the countless number of Manvel players taunting of our players, fans, cheerleaders and Indianettes all showed major lack of character and sportsmanship. I even saw them taunting Faircloth himself. With the most unbiased perspective as posibble I'd have to say too that they are the most unsportsmanlike team Ive ever seen play. That is a DIRECT reflection of their coaching AND parenting. If I saw my son talking trash to the other teams cheerleaders or coaches...heck, even running his mouth to the other players he would be in for a rude awakening when he got home. But then again...some people have class. Just saying.

By the way...you can't really throw the entire Manvel team under the bus. Number 5 I think it was showed good sportsmanship after the game. We all know how upset DJ gets and after the game he just walked off the field by himself. Number 5 on Manvels team chased him all the way across the field and grabbed him and patted him on the back and told him good game. It was a very nervous moment to watch because we all know how emotional DJ gets but it went well. Anyway Kudos to number 5 from manvel...It was about the only act of good sportmanship I witnessed all night from that side.

Now...what a staging for a REMATCH!!!! INSTANT RIVALRY!!!! Now there is blood and BAD blood at that...I can't wait for Round 2.

HARD FOUGHT GAME.
[/quote]
WOW......completely unbiased. Now parenting is being called into it. Grown men on here laughing and demeaning the Manvel band. What about #33 and #36 on PNG? Is their parents to blame for their bad behavior on the field?

[quote name="Eagle11" post="922075" timestamp="1291056199"]
[quote author=19Cherokee90 link=topic=76698.msg922065#msg922065 date=1291055439]
[quote author=Cardinal Supporter link=topic=76698.msg922054#msg922054 date=1291054272]
[/quote]

HARD FOUGHT GAME.
[/quote]
WOW......completely unbiased. Now parenting is being called into it. Grown men on here laughing and demeaning the Manvel band. What about #33 and #36 on PNG? Is their parents to blame for their bad behavior on the field?

[/quote]

We, Willis, have video of #36 kicking a Willis player after a play.  He was not flagged.  PNG fans calling other teams dirty while pretending their own players are choirboys is slightly funny and disturbing.  Just like the said about Willis, they got what they deserved.

Exactly what i said! after BH game and now Manvel game. #36 hit #55 in the nuts after the play was over and therefore was ejected. yes #55 was talking smack which they had a right to. they ruled the 3rd quarter doubling their points and driving easily down the field. but hitting another player in his privates is unacceptable even in a boxing match. And dont even get me started on #33. trashiest player i have seen

We, Manvel saw the Willis episode on film also... It kinda prepared us to play a dirty team.  Maybe Willis pushed PNG to the max and that's how those kids are taught to react when getting their butts-kicked.  Maybe they were raised that way!  
Like I said... We came to win a football game not a popularity contest.  Who cares what you think about Manvel.  You would have loved us if PNG would have won!  Grow up and accept defeat.  We can care less about a sore losers opinion.  You guys came to Baytown with a bag of tricks and 1000's of hypocrites... AND LOSS FAIR & SQUARE!  
God loves us and that's plenty enough!
Now to you real, mature PNG players & fans... Congradulations on a great season and I truly love what you bring to Texas High School Football.  The best atmosphere I have ever seen! And you are one game butt football team...

Guest Air Bisquit
This is getting pretty redundant.
PNG you lost. Get over it!!
Manvel good game, now it is time to move on.

Both teams fans coming on here and talking about dirty plays, hoka hey, scalp em, the bands, the fans. Pretty childish.

[IMG]http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/ww205/jdfoley8988/poster50195737.jpg[/img]

Both teams have nothing to be proud of in the way of sportsmanship. This is a trend that is growing in HS sports and it is sad to see. As someone mentioned earlier I was very impressed as well (and nervous) that #5 went and found DJ(#33), I think he realized DJ gives his heart and soul on every play and respected him for that.

Manvel has the chance to be a force for years to come if they learn to chill out. Regardless if it is PNG or any team you cannot let another team cause you to react in a negative way.

Good luck to those remaining in the playoffs and to all the kids who play sports are in the band/cheerleaders or dance teams.

To those of you who have kids still playing or will be playing in the future help them be good people on and off the field. College and pro sports are out of control and our kids see this and think it is normal. Teach them to respect others and themselves or they will lose in the end.

Go PNG!

WOW!!!!, Ive been skimming through all the pages on this thread and have come to a conlusion. This is HS sports people. All this stuff on both sides is pretty rediculous. After the year we have had, it put things in perspective for me and hopefully others. Just be happy to be able to watch these kids play. you will never know when tragedy will strike, and all this bickering doesnt mean anything. The only thing that matters, is how you carry yourself and do unto others as you want done to you. I dont know what happened, didnt see tape, wasnt at the game, but do know that this is rediculous. look at the things that mean the most in life... Just please before some of you post, just really think.....this is a game, a buch of kids running around. What have we sunk into to treat each other this way? Im sure ill get bashed for this post, but come on guys, there is much more in life than HS football. Be thankful for what you have and respect everyone, even your enemies.

Guest Air Bisquit
[quote name="kicker" post="922161" timestamp="1291061174"]
WOW!!!!, Ive been skimming through all the pages on this thread and have come to a conlusion. This is HS sports people. All this stuff on both sides is pretty rediculous. After the year we have had, it put things in perspective for me and hopefully others. Just be happy to be able to watch these kids play. you will never know when tragedy will strike, and all this bickering doesnt mean anything. The only thing that matters, is how you carry yourself and do unto others as you want done to you. I dont know what happened, didnt see tape, wasnt at the game, but do know that this is rediculous. look at the things that mean the most in life... Just please before some of you post, just really think.....this is a game, a buch of kids running around. What have we sunk into to treat each other this way? Im sure ill get bashed for this post, but come on guys, there is much more in life than HS football. Be thankful for what you have and respect everyone, even your enemies.
[/quote]

Kicker..You my friend are right on the money.
How quickly people forget.

+1 for you

[quote name="First Down" post="922180" timestamp="1291061750"]
[quote author=kicker link=topic=76698.msg922161#msg922161 date=1291061174]
[/quote]

Kicker..You my friend are right on the money.
How quickly people forget.

+1 for you
[/quote]

Thanks for the pos. Karma lol, Ive been a victim of the "negative karma Nazi" thats been flying around here lately. Still trying to figure out who it is. they have attacked a bunch of us. Anyways, Yes, people forget real fast. We need to realize what the real important things in life are, and this really is not one of them. I have been haunted by what I saw and experienced on that dreaded Friday night in September. It has changed me forever, and I hope it changed others too. Life is too short to say and do stupid things. live every moment as if it were your last.

Pair of good posts Kicker! Another +1 for you. After the game Saturday night, the ensuing comments on this board and watching the Johnson-Finnegan debacle on Sunday, it leaves me wondering what happened to sportsmanship? Teenagers playing a game is one thing. Adult fans and pro players is another. How can we, as adults, criticize the play of kids when we behave no better ourselves? Yeah, I'm talking to my purple brothers and the purple haters too. Thanks for putting it into perspective Kicker.

Great post Kicker, these poor kids live in a "Drama" world. From the shows they watch to the behavior those of us that are suppose to be adults show in daily life. Not only to they face attacks from opponents from other schools but have to deal with crude that goes on inside their very own school.

Some how some way respect for others must be instilled in our children or they will be the losers in the long run.

Go PNG!

[quote name="badndn" post="921861" timestamp="1291039841"]
[quote author=AggiesWeAreNot link=topic=76698.msg921733#msg921733 date=1291001957]
[quote author=Versey Ledbetter link=topic=76698.msg921054#msg921054 date=1290919760]
Really???  Aren't we past the race thing?  
[/quote]  Are you serious?!  You must live in an all white town.  Move to beaumont and you will see Tthat the "race thing" is alive and well.  Now if you agree that blacks should receive preferential treatment in every facet of life then you will get along just fine with our black race mongers (carol thomas, paul brown, bo alfred, howard graham, oveal whitaker, terry williams, jessie haynes, etc)
[/quote]
For the record...This guy isn't from PNG! He appears to be from Beaumont.
[/quote]I live in Beaumont and grew up in a predominately white city and had great frienships there, But let me tell you, A person doesn't have to be white to be a racist, a person could be black and be a racist. In order to be a racist one only needs to be IGNORANT. And ignorance runs rampant in this area.