PNG vs Willis At The Butch Saturday

injun

[quote name="baddog" post="908643" timestamp="1289750730"]
You know, why can't the Butch schedule a double header on a Saturday? Maybe more people could attend and daytime football is sure different.[/quote]
Very, Very difficult to do in a HS stadium. They can do it in the domes or at Rice because they seat 50+ thousand so there is extra seating available while one team waits for the other to finish it's game. Can't do that in a 15K seat stadium. Best you could do is like this Saturday with a 1 PM and 7 PM games. Not really a double header.
Actually the chance to watch great SETX HS FB on back to back nights without a long drive is great!

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="WBbear" post="908617" timestamp="1289748712"]
[quote author=Cheermom4 link=topic=76075.msg908569#msg908569 date=1289745806]
I am excited we are playing at the Butch and on a Saturday.  It is a great facility and I for one love that we are playing there.
[/quote]And as a Beaumonter we appreciate those very nice comments about our new sport facility. I, like others was tired of having to go to Houston for every playoff game.
[/quote]
It is a very nice facility. Glad to play a second round game there also. It looks like the new facility is good for the entire area as well as BISD.

[quote name="pngfan1" post="908664" timestamp="1289751997"]
[quote author=WBbear link=topic=76075.msg908617#msg908617 date=1289748712]
[quote author=Cheermom4 link=topic=76075.msg908569#msg908569 date=1289745806]
I am excited we are playing at the Butch and on a Saturday.  It is a great facility and I for one love that we are playing there.
[/quote]And as a Beaumonter we appreciate those very nice comments about our new sport facility. I, like others was tired of having to go to Houston for every playoff game.
[/quote]
It is a very nice facility. Glad to play a second round game there also. It looks like the new facility is good for the entire area as well as BISD.
[/quote]
The Butch is a great facility. First time there last night and I was impressed. Day needs to improve Bronco Stadium ( visitor stands / restrooms / parking for vis / field house w lockerrooms / maybe a jumbo tron ) and it would be a good neutral site for alot of teams. Not asking for much eh ;)

i have heard that willis is all offense and no defense, is there any truth to that? what kind of fanbase does willis have? i am curious if they will even fill the bottom of the stands. The only thing i know as of right now is i will be there early this week got to the game late 630 pm and ended up parking and walking from visitors side, that wont happen again i promise you lol. Is willis a spread team or are they multidimensional? What kind of defense do they run?

[quote name="biaplayer" post="909296" timestamp="1289788273"]
i have heard that willis is all offense and no defense, is there any truth to that? what kind of fanbase does willis have? i am curious if they will even fill the bottom of the stands. The only thing i know as of right now is i will be there early this week got to the game late 630 pm and ended up parking and walking from visitors side, that wont happen again i promise you lol. Is willis a spread team or are they multidimensional? What kind of defense do they run?
[/quote]
If they are all offense and no defense things could get interesting. I will be real courious the see if you get any replies. I would think not many peeps from this area will know much about Willis!

[/quote]Nothing wrong with a little walking, man!  Get ya workout on!  ;)

[/quote]

>:( had to do the same thing, and it wont happen again or there will be some people walking

Willis fan here. The two teams sound pretty similar.  Explosive offenses and defenses that are improving but have holes.

Willis is loaded in the junior class and at the skill positions.  They are small on the offensive line and very young on the defensive line.

The offense is a spread (more Texas 09 and less Florida 09).  The QB, Fred Nixon, spreads the ball around to several athletes, RB Autrey Golden, RB/WR Demarcus Kizzie, WR Quan West, WR Robert Johnson, WR Kevin Markham (all juniors). 

The defense has had trouble with quick, fast athletes but has otherwise been solid.  They are multiple(4-3 to 3-4 to 4-2-5).  The defense has been vulnerable on the edges (see the Mag West Sykes kid's two games).  Like I said, they have had trouble with quick, fast athletes which explains losses to Navasota, Mag. West, and Humble.  The best athlete (athlete, not player) is Erin Reese who is a CB/S/LB.

As far as history and tradition, there is no comparison.  PNG has more of that.  Willis hadnt even won a playoff game since 2000.  The fans travel well all things considered but dont expect competition there.  The PNG band will blow away the Willis fans - well those of us who didnt got to a school with big time football teams.  The problem for PNG is that Willis fans and players are mostly blind and naive with respect to the PNG tradition and won't be intimidated by that.

As for my prediction, high-scoring and close.  I think it will come down to turnovers and red zone stops.

[quote name="SouthPaugh" post="910618" timestamp="1289926849"]
Willis fan here. The two teams sound pretty similar.  Explosive offenses and defenses that are improving but have holes.

Willis is loaded in the junior class and at the skill positions.  They are small on the offensive line and very young on the defensive line.

The offense is a spread (more Texas 09 and less Florida 09).  The QB, Fred Nixon, spreads the ball around to several athletes, RB Autrey Golden, RB/WR Demarcus Kizzie, WR Quan West, WR Robert Johnson, WR Kevin Markham (all juniors). 

The defense has had trouble with quick, fast athletes but has otherwise been solid.  They are multiple(4-3 to 3-4 to 4-2-5).  The defense has been vulnerable on the edges (see the Mag West Sykes kid's two games).  Like I said, they have had trouble with quick, fast athletes which explains losses to Navasota, Mag. West, and Humble.  The best athlete (athlete, not player) is Erin Reese who is a CB/S/LB.

As far as history and tradition, there is no comparison.  PNG has more of that.  Willis hadnt even won a playoff game since 2000.  The fans travel well all things considered but dont expect competition there.  The PNG band will blow away the Willis fans - well those of us who didnt got to a school with big time football teams.  The problem for PNG is that Willis fans and players are mostly blind and naive with respect to the PNG tradition and won't be intimidated by that.

As for my prediction, high-scoring and close.  I think it will come down to turnovers and red zone stops.
[/quote]

Welcome, SouthPaugh!

Sounds like a very balanced and unbiased write up. This could be an interesting and high scoring game in my opinion. PN-G is very big on the O-Line and fundamentally sound. They are a good football team, but not an overly fast team. The offense has been really tough to stop. They throw it well with Doty and he has several good WRs. Bertrand has been a solid RB all season and the O-Line is definitely their strength in my opinion. The defense was much maligned at the beginning of the season, but some scheme changes in the last several weeks have made them formidable again. Schexnider and Knox are the main standouts on defense if you ask me. I think both teams will struggle to stop the opposing offenses in this game and should make for a really fun game to watch. Be careful on the trip over.

[quote name="dmeast11111" post="909957" timestamp="1289857775"]
We need some input from some Willis people or people in the district.  This is not as much fun without a little conflict. >:(
[/quote]

Sounds like you guys have plenty conflict without any input from anyone from Willis...

[quote name="SouthPaugh" post="910618" timestamp="1289926849"]

[/quote]
Welcome aboard southpaugh. I do look for a high scoring game Saturday night and I think it will come down to who holds on to the ball or who can get a key stop or two on defense. As far as your remark to the PN-G tradition that don't win games for ya but it does help the players when they have 4000+ fans yelling for them.

To all Willis Players and supporters; Have a safe trip to Beaumont Saturday and good luck. Let's play some football ;)

[quote name="indnfan" post="910660" timestamp="1289929374"]
[quote author=SouthPaugh link=topic=76075.msg910618#msg910618 date=1289926849]

[/quote]
Welcome aboard southpaugh. I do look for a high scoring game Saturday night and I think it will come down to who holds on to the ball or who can get a key stop or two on defense. As far as your remark to the PN-G tradition that don't win games for ya but it does help the players when they have 4000+ fans yelling for them.

To all Willis Players and supporters; Have a safe trip to Beaumont Saturday and good luck. Let's play some football ;)
[/quote]

Actually, sometimes I do think tradition wins games for you when you are up against a team that knows what you are about - even remotely.  My comment was more to the effect that Willis hasn't had any success so their fans and players are, for lack of a better word, pretty ignorant when it comes to Texas high school football history and tradition.  As such, they will be amazed by the non football they see on Saturday but not intimidated by it, like maybe a Angleton or a Huntsville might be.

I do think 4,000 people on one side could have an effect if the young team gets starry eyed.  But you just never know how young men react in the playoffs.  Heck, I saw a 7-4 Coldspring team destroy my undefeated high school team with former Dallas Cowboy Jason Tucker in the second round in 1993.  They were inspired by the death of a coach and went all they way to the state championship game.

uhhh what are you talking about?? ??? ??? ???just saying these message boards are more fun when you get input from different sides.  No fun to listen to us NDN homers talk about how good the team is without some input from others. :-*[quote name="plumin" post="910634" timestamp="1289928371"]
[quote author=dmeast11111 link=topic=76075.msg909957#msg909957 date=1289857775]
We need some input from some Willis people or people in the district.  This is not as much fun without a little conflict. >:(
[/quote]

Sounds like you guys have plenty conflict without any input from anyone from Willis...
[/quote]

[quote name="1KatKiller" post="910720" timestamp="1289932664"]
southpaugh, willis is 4-2-5 on defense all the way. They just move strong safeties around.
[/quote]

They just move Reese around.  There are only two true LB's but Reese plays safety, LB, and CB.  They are multiple.  Yes the base is 4-2-5 but you rarely see that alignment.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder