SETXsports.com HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL RANKINGS - FINAL

WOSgrad

[quote name="bleed orange" post="910283" timestamp="1289875754"]
[quote author=Sgt Rey link=topic=75862.msg910275#msg910275 date=1289875431]
[quote author=bleed orange link=topic=75862.msg910249#msg910249 date=1289874487]
I have seen the lean years with West Brook. There was not 1000 fans in the stands. Yes, you guys are doing good right now and I am happy for you guys but I saw the lean years and it was not pretty. Remember where you came from. When your kids are gone West Brook will be a memory.
[/quote]
well hopefully we pollute Beaumont with a bunch of generations of Reyes's... :P
[/quote]

I hope not anytime soon and I know you don't also. :) :)
[/quote]
I'm going to get off and get to work right now.... ;D

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="Sgt Rey" post="910305" timestamp="1289876494"]
[quote author=bleed orange link=topic=75862.msg910283#msg910283 date=1289875754]
[quote author=Sgt Rey link=topic=75862.msg910275#msg910275 date=1289875431]
[quote author=bleed orange link=topic=75862.msg910249#msg910249 date=1289874487]
I have seen the lean years with West Brook. There was not 1000 fans in the stands. Yes, you guys are doing good right now and I am happy for you guys but I saw the lean years and it was not pretty. Remember where you came from. When your kids are gone West Brook will be a memory.
[/quote]
well hopefully we pollute Beaumont with a bunch of generations of Reyes's... :P
[/quote]

I hope not anytime soon and I know you don't also. :) :)
[/quote]
I'm going to get off and get to work right now.... ;D
[/quote]

Momma will not agree. I was talking about Junior. NO kids for junior anytime soon. ;D ;D

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="907002" timestamp="1289671409"]
Well, of course folks are going to have bias, that occurs in every poll.  But let me ask this, if you had a poll would you put a team that finished 3rd in its conference or league, would you place that team at the top of your poll?
[/quote]

You are a smart guy WOSGRAD.  If you were going to do an honest assesment of who you thoght would win between West Brook/Kirbyville, West Brook/Dayton and Dayton/Kirbyville, who would you pick as the team that would prevail in these matchups.  Whoever you pick to win 2 games is your number one team.  And if you have all of them going 1-1 (oh come on now) then you should have a 3 way tie.  I think we both know that mixing 3A in with 5A is causing some fans to question the poll.  You may have one or two 3A teams each year who can really challenge some good 4A and maybe 5A schools, but the rest most likely can't hang.  Having said all that, I may or may not look at the poll next year, but one thing is for sure, I won't get my britches in a wad if I do.

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="910352" timestamp="1289879024"]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=75862.msg907002#msg907002 date=1289671409]
Well, of course folks are going to have bias, that occurs in every poll.  But let me ask this, if you had a poll would you put a team that finished 3rd in its conference or league, would you place that team at the top of your poll?
[/quote]

You are a smart guy WOSGRAD.  If you were going to do an honest assesment of who you thoght would win between West Brook/Kirbyville, West Brook/Dayton and Dayton/Kirbyville, who would you pick as the team that would prevail in these matchups.  Whoever you pick to win 2 games is your number one team.  And if you have all of them going 1-1 (oh come on now) then you should have a 3 way tie.  I think we both know that mixing 3A in with 5A is causing some fans to question the poll.  You may have one or two 3A teams each year who can really challenge some good 4A and maybe 5A schools, but the rest most likely can't hang.  Having said all that, I may or may not look at the poll next year, but one thing is for sure, I won't get my britches in a wad if I do.
[/quote]

Please do not.

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="Hotrodg" post="910393" timestamp="1289883427"]
Why is it so hard to understand that this poll is not a ranking of who would win head to head?  It has been said, typed, explained, rehashed, questioned, reexplained, ans otherwise beat to death.
[/quote]

I agree, good post.

[quote name="Hotrodg" post="910393" timestamp="1289883427"]
Why is it so hard to understand that this poll is not a ranking of who would win head to head?  It has been said, typed, explained, rehashed, questioned, reexplained, ans otherwise beat to death.
[/quote]

Then by all means by definition it is a bogus poll.  It only serves the purpose of those who vote on it.  I guess you guys are following the same model as the AP high school poll and college poll.

No poll in Texas carries any weight, AP, Dave Campbell or this one.  All of these polls are just "vanity" polls, and reflect the aggregate opinion of those who vote in it.  Even those in Texas that proport to be "power polls" can be labeled the same.  In fact, in the arena of high school football there is only one poll that I know of that has any bearing on postseason play are the power rankings from our neighbors in Louisiana.  This is a poll compiled by the LHSAA (their UIL) which is really a mathematical formula factoring wins, and the class and winning record of a team's opponents and determines which teams aside from the district champions make the playoffs and seeds the teams 1-32 which determines first round matchups (#1 plays #32 and so forth).

All other polls, whether you are talking about this one or the AP is done strictly for one purpose, to foster discussion and increase traffic in your little part of the information highway.  And given that in the less than a week this poll has been up, it has been read almost 1700 times, this poll has successfully served its purpose.

As to the question as in a head to head match up.  Heads up, I would take a West Brook over a Kirbyville or a West Orange-Stark, although I must say I may give some pause at this point on a Dayton/West Brook matchup (but would probably still go with West Brook).  But in a poll of this type which involves teams of several different classes, mythical head to head match ups can't be given a whole lot of weight (or at least I didn't).  Does that compromise the integrity of the integrity of the poll?  Well, such as the pollsters respective choices, that opinion is in the eye of the beholder.

But for any sort of workable poll to be put together on this site, that is how it must work.  There are 3 5A schools in the SETX coverage area and no other class has enough schools in it to properly populate a top 10 on it's own.  So warts and all, this is the way it will be compiled for the foreseeable future.   If that renders the polls bogus in your eyes, then I will tell you what I told someone else a couple of weeks ago....it is not required reading....don't like it, don't read it.  There are apparently enough who do already.

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="WOSgrad" post="910663" timestamp="1289929480"]
No poll in Texas carries any weight, AP, Dave Campbell or this one.  All of these polls are just "vanity" polls, and reflect the aggregate opinion of those who vote in it.  Even those in Texas that proport to be "power polls" can be labeled the same.  In fact, in the arena of high school football there is only one poll that I know of that has any bearing on postseason play are the power rankings from out neighbors in Louisiana.  This is a poll compiled by the LHSAA (their UIL) which is really a mathematical formula factoring wins, and the class and winning record of a team's opponents and determines which teams aside from the district champions make the playoffs and seeds the teams 1-32 which determines first round matchups (#1 plays #32 and so forth).

All other polls, whether you are talking about this one or the AP is done strictly for one purpose, to foster discussion and increase traffic in your little part of the information highway.  And given that in the less than a week this poll has been up, it has been read almost 1700 times, this poll has successfully served its purpose.

As to the question as in a head to head match up.  Heads up, I would take a West Brook over a Kirbyville or a West Orange-Stark, although I must say I may give some pause at this point on a Dayton/West Brook matchup (but would probably still go with West Brook).  But in a poll of this type which involves teams of several different classes, mythical head to head match ups can't be given a whole lot of weight (or at least I didn't).  Does that compromise the integrity of the integrity of the poll?  Well, such as the pollsters respective choices, that opinion is in the eye of the beholder.

But for any sort of workable poll to be put together on this site, that is how it must work.  There are 3 5A schools in the SETX coverage area and no other class has enough schools in it to properly populate a top 10 on it's own.  So warts and all, this is the way it will be compiled for the foreseeable future.   If that renders the polls bogus in your eyes, then I will tell you what I told someone else a couple of weeks ago....it is not required reading....don't like it, don't read it.  There are apparently enough who do already.
[/quote]

Well said.

You presented a very honest assessment of the board poll.  I think the only other thing would be to post who votes on the poll and what schools they represent.  Truth is I don't read it every week, and if I were a voter it would be impossible to weed out my own bias.  Never came on here to say I had all the right answers.  But I would hope that at the end of the day everyone would want to get the top 3-5 pretty correct as to who really is the best team no matter the record or classification.  That's my opinion.  After the top 5 it probably is anybody's guess as to how to rank them with not much consensus. 

[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="910697" timestamp="1289931251"]
You presented a very honest assessment of the board poll.  I think the only other thing would be to post who votes on the poll and what schools they represent.  Truth is I don't read it every week, and if I were a voter it would be impossible to weed out my own bias.  Never came on here to say I had all the right answers.  But I would hope that at the end of the day everyone would want to get the top 3-5 pretty correct as to who really is the best team no matter the record or classification.  That's my opinion.  After the top 5 it probably is anybody's guess as to how to rank them with not much consensus. 
[/quote]

As far identifying the pollsters, I will allow them to do that when or if they wish.  It's not that I am attempting any cloak and dagger, but I simply don't have their permission to do so.  I will tell you that I am one of them and I guess my user name sort of gives away my school affiliation...although I must also date myself and inform you that during my four years at WO-S we were still a 5A school.

• 3 months later...
[quote name="Enjun07" post="919330" timestamp="1290810664"]
Whats the point of having a high school pole? they mean nothing! Purpose to give a team and it's fans a really big head that way they can't walk through a door?...pointless...all teams put there pants on the same way...one leg at a time!
[/quote] preach brotha man :D

• 2 months later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder