how do you meausre a Coaches Success

BADSANTA

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="880813" timestamp="1287517682"]
By helping his/her players to be the best they can be, on and off the field.
[/quote]
That is it!
They are high school coaches and have the athletes they are dealt with.  Sometimes it is not their fault if they have no wins, but the kids are doing all they can.
The key is to make them play the best they can, win or lose.
Of course, one of my criterea is that the coach makes the players BELIEVE they can succeed in not just the sport they are competing in, but in life itself.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="880821" timestamp="1287518053"]
To me, high school sports has never been about just winning and losing. It's about teaching. Do I want my school to win? YOU BETCHA!! But not at all costs. IMO, teaching the athlete is far more important than winning the game. This is what a coach should truely be measured by.
[/quote]

Bingo.  Great posts...most of 'em anyway...lol... ;D

I agree... but it is true that even if they are super mentors, if they have a horrible track record of losing, they will not be with the district long enough for significant change! To me there has to be a balance of the two. You have to have a successful program as well as be a mentor for the athletes...

Guest bleed orange
I do remember the wins and losses but more important I remember the life lesson my coach taught me. I use them still today. Also a good coach is a father figure to a young man who may not have a father. There are a lot of things that factor in to a coaches success.  When kids come back and visit a coach 10-20 years later than you know that coach made an impression on that young mans life.

I believe the "standard" that we hold them to has risen a tad bit.  Performence (win loss), Education, Life lessons, Exposer,  Fundraising.....the list goes on and on.  

I look at it like this.  If you have a coach, [u]in a public school[/u], that a lot of kids want to play for........He or she is a good one.   I believe that everyone is drawn to good leadership.  

Am I off on this or not?

Best way I have ever heard it put is by "Uncle" Joe Evans. He never measured his success during a school year but ten years after the athlete graduated. If they were healthy, moral, and leading overall productive lives and helping others he felt like he had been a success. Pretty good way to measure I'd say.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="880821" timestamp="1287518053"]
To me, high school sports has never been about just winning and losing. It's about teaching. Do I want my school to win? YOU BETCHA!! But not at all costs. IMO, teaching the athlete is far more important than winning the game. This is what a coach should truely be measured by.
[/quote]

Good post AAW.

From just the game aspect, I think you can measure a coach by the effort put forth by the kids. Is he getting 100%? If so, then these kids are well coached and fired up ready to go....the wins will come.

Sometimes those coaches are Pee Wee Coaches. I remember one coach in particular, tore my son up one side and down the other because he had coached him on the lateral, and he missed one. He was yelling at him, “WHERE’S YOUR MOMMA? SHE NEEDS TO TAKE YOU HOME!” I didn’t know whether to laugh, cry, or climb under the bleachers!!

He taught him –
1. Pay attention  
2. Do what you’re told
3. If you don’t do 1 & 2, there will be consequences.
4. Think

I saw his “Leaning” last year; he’ll never miss a lateral again!  Second play.
Last one is Jacob Barnes’s foot turning sideway. YUCK!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCK25QyyNO0&feature=email

Coach J.D. was a success in my book!
Thanks to all the coaches that spend their time with our kids, and make a difference.

[quote name="HI_#20_Mom" post="881520" timestamp="1287579084"]
Sometimes those coaches are Pee Wee Coaches. I remember one coach in particular, tore my son up one side and down the other because he had coached him on the lateral, and he missed one. He was yelling at him, “WHERE’S YOUR MOMMA? SHE NEEDS TO TAKE YOU HOME!” I didn’t know whether to laugh, cry, or climb under the bleachers!!

He taught him –
1. Pay attention 
2. Do what you’re told
4. Think

I saw his “Leaning” last year; he’ll never miss a lateral again!  Second play.

Thanks to all the coaches that spend their with our kids, and make a difference.

[/quote]
Where's ur boy play now?

[quote name="Sgt Rey" post="881523" timestamp="1287579249"]
[quote author=HI_#20_Mom link=topic=74704.msg881520#msg881520 date=1287579084]

He taught him –
1. Pay attention 
2. Do what you’re told
4. Think

I saw his “Leaning” last year; he’ll never miss a lateral again!  Second play.

Thanks to all the coaches that spend their with our kids, and make a difference.

[/quote]
Where's ur boy play now?
[/quote]

He's a senior at High Island, but got hurt early this season.
He won't stop playing though, I’ve tried!
I think elhector made some comment about how quickly young athletes heal. He is doing amazing!
He’ll be somewhere next year. Got some prospects.  ;)

[quote name="Sgt Rey" post="881536" timestamp="1287580053"]
Good for him...hope he does really well at the next level, where ever he goes.

Is he on the highlight film you posted?  if so what number?
[/quote]

Number 20 - Maroon/White Jersey.
That film is only 3 plays from last year. They were just put together because they were out of the ordinary plays.

You can see more if you go into youtube and look for James Lupeheke. If ya want.

[quote name="HI_#20_Mom" post="881544" timestamp="1287580595"]
[quote author=Sgt Rey link=topic=74704.msg881536#msg881536 date=1287580053]
Good for him...hope he does really well at the next level, where ever he goes.

Is he on the highlight film you posted?  if so what number?
[/quote]

Number 20 - Maroon/White Jersey.
That film is only 3 plays from last year. They were just put together because they were out of the ordinary plays.

You can see more if you go into youtube and look for James Lupeheke. If ya want.

[/quote]ku

I saw his 10 min offense video...he's good!...I'm working on Jr's highlight for this year, but he just played his first complete game this past week....so, he's kinda fresh this late n the season...but here is one from last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLboxXPxtvU

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kinghoyn
    Newest Member
    kinghoyn