Select Softball Conflict with School Sports

Guest Breakercoach
[quote name="bleed orange" post="821318" timestamp="1280286633"]
[quote author=Breakercoach link=topic=71234.msg821306#msg821306 date=1280283895]
My 2 Cents

High School Ball comes first

If it was about the money, (Scholarships) I would not have played softball, I could have sent my kid to Harvard !  ;D

And like YG was saying if HS is going to force the girls to a decision, then it is the girls decision. Let the chips fall.

And if I had a redo, Go for volleyball it is indoor (air conditioned) and no rainouts !  ;D
[/quote]

Great post.
[/quote]

Thats also why I take my kids deer hunting, it is cheaper than buying meat at the store! (Deer hunting cost is $175.00lb)

Just sayin......  ;D

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="East TX" post="821302" timestamp="1280283638"]
I see that several of our very non-threatening logical threads were deleted?

Many ADs have it in for Softball all over the country now......yet those teams that make the HS SB final four in all classifications are loaded with top select players--what gives?

Also, I attended the State Volleyball Tourney this past year: I guarantee every winner and runner-up team was stacked to the hilt with Club Select Team players--what gives?  These kids need college scholarship to play SB and they get them from mostly playing Select Softball, in front of a host of college scouts mainly at National events--what gives?

As for OF the inconsistency by ADs has killed the HS softball almost into being non-existent. The AD previous to the present, said a SB player had to play another sport.

Here is sadly what happened, the Ratcliff girl was told she had to get up and run CrossCountry at 6am in the off season-- when SB was out of season.  Here is an exceptional scholar of a youth that just wanted to play SB and her grades were paramount of importance to get an academic scholarship.  Yes she was also an exceptional proven Short Stop.  She drops out of SB...sad.

Now the next AD has a totally different agenda.   If you are trying to get a college scholarship in SB and feel you need to be seen by many SB college Scouts at Nationals--"So what"; no consideration given...Select at National levels trashed-- you miss a two-a-day for Volleyball you cannot ever play!  

I was watching BC beat a OF team this year and was thinking... Egos..have caused the demise of OF"s SB team.  They had a great positive SB Coach; but a lot of players are not playing because of the attitudes and lack of continuity of a few.. adults.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hopefully this can be handled by their School Board.  I would hope to see OF being a player in trying to win the 21-3A District in Volleyball with the multi-sport talent that exist in their school!
[/quote]  

I am glad you brought this up easttx. Hardin Jeffersons makes their Basketball girls run cross country. I don't see their parents getting on here and complaining. They do what it takes. They love the sport, Apparently the girl from OF( By the way she is a great kid) did not love it that much or she would have never quit. Did you ever think that maybe she was burn't out? You say wake up at 6:00 am, most people in the working class wake up much earlier that that. No sympathy from me. It was not ego's you saw but attitudes. I cannot speak about the previous AD but I can promise you this AD is about all the kids. You are wrong for saying what you did. You don't know him. The same thing is happening at Bridge City but worse. You are right about one thing it is the parents.

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="Tigers9" post="821320" timestamp="1280287352"]
[color=red]Comment 1:[/color] That will be awesome if she attains her goal. Yes, it does help out the family budget. I know because daddy has not paid for my daughters college so far, basketball has. The select system made my daughter better did you not read my post. Maybe you should take your DD out of High school softball because apparently it is all about the select team instead of the Silsbee Tigers.

[color=red]Never said that, in fact if you have read all of my comments, I commended our coach as understanding what important to each kid. He has worked around club VB players and allows his SB players to practice and play during the season.[/color]

[color=red]Comment 2: [/color] Nothing wrong with her taking care of her own future. I think that is awesome. She sounds like a great young lady. Takes the pressure off of you right.

[color=red]Was not talking about my daughter here, it was in ref to your comment about parents buying to many toys, when otherwise could have paid for college[/color]

[color=red]Comment 3:[/color] I agree they do take pride in earning a scholarship and should but this whole subject is really not about the kids.

[color=red]Its ALL about the kids, thats why "most" are aggitated about the AD's decision to apply the death penalty[/color]

[color=red]Comment 4:[/color] Are they going to tell their boss to stick it when they get a job in the real world? Good luck with that.

[color=red]IF the boss is enforcing rules that are harmful to the growth of the company, creating a situation that would hender the growth of their career, I would hope so.[/color]

[color=red]Comment 5:[/color] In Bidge City they have problems. A lot of talent but never goes past the first or second round. Lot of choas over there and why? Can you say "Select Ball". Maybe it has not happened in Silsbee. BC select teams have been around a lot longer. Give it time. To many coaches in the stands.

[color=red]I can speak for us as fans and probably for our coach, we all know our place and or part. We let him do his job during HS season, he lets us develope during select.....heck he even comes out to watch his players when they are playing locally....[/color]

[color=red]Comment 6:[/color] No closet here only the truth. Your "god"  he is everyones "god".

[color=red]No, not necessarily.....other believe in "A" God, but it isnt necessarily the same one a I do[/color]

Have no problem with select ball as long as it does not interfer with school activities. As far as me having problems with my daughter and select ball, I had none like I told you "She got better" I loved it. She played with girls that were older and made her better. The kids were awesome also. I hope you daughter is experiencing the samething and she stay focused. Some don't they get burned out. Mine stayed focused and her college is not being paid for by "Daddy" as you put it. Good Luck. I support the AD 100%.

[color=red]HS is a very fun time, no doubt about it. You represent your school (home town) play with friends, earn letter jackets, patches, playoffs, dances....etc.etc.etc a very important time in a young persons life.... I AGREE! What I cant agree with is an adult taking that away from a kid who is not a loser, they have done everything RIGHT. [/color]

[color=red]Silsbee AD supported a girls BB coach to sit a girl out for missing the practice the day before a game (team rule) then turns around and forces the boys BB coach to change a hair policy to allow a "football" player to be able to play stating "we cant allow a single coach the make rules that arent consistant with the athletic departments rules.....now all of the happened AFTER the "girl" had already served her punishment....by the way that rules wasnt consistant with the athletic depart either[/color]

[color=red]Yet another, "football" player get DAEP.....skips school, to avoid DAEP.....Truancy officer sends him to judge, judges gives prob. and comm service,,,,kid doesnt do it.......he spends 3 days in jail...( all this happens at the end of year) Start next season.....(2 a days) guess who shows up....plays without consequence from AD[/color]

[color=red]Do I need to continue.........because I have plenty more[/color]

[color=red]Not all HS coaches are bad coaches or people........Our SB coach is a GREAT friend of mine, we dont always agree, but we do respect each others opinions and agree to disagree when necessary[/color]
[/quote]

I like you "Tiger9" but I am tired. Cannot keep up with you. But it has been fun. We agree to disagree. One more thing before I go, I do think the punishment is a little steep but I support our AD he has been the best thing for our kids. Also he would not allow the things you just told me. Maybe he is out of date with the times but sometimes that is what these kids need. Especially the kids from Orangefield. Sometimes it is not about sports. It is about life in the real world. We have a coach that teaches both. That is a rarity in this day and time. Don't have any kids in school anymore.  You bash our coach but you know what he is even across the board.

Bleed, what the heck are you wasting your time with that for....some people just don't get it....I bet this has kept you off of FB... ;)

Lets all NOT forget, that this is happening in all sports, not just football and not just volleyball....YG from what I have heard you going to have the same problem if your kids play basketball.....I heard through the grapevine that basketball coaches don't allow their players to play on select teams during their season either, even if it doesn't interfer with games, or tournaments or practices....And if your players want to run track during softball, theres a problem there too....So, with that being said, looks like you might have a bigger fight than you thought....

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="Chill." post="821342" timestamp="1280291136"]
Bleed, what the heck are you wasting your time with that for....some people just don't get it....I bet this has kept you off of FB... ;)

Lets all NOT forget, that this is happening in all sports, not just football and not just volleyball....YG from what I have heard you going to have the same problem if your kids play basketball.....I heard through the grapevine that basketball coaches don't allow their players to play on select teams during their season either, even if it doesn't interfer with games, or tournaments or practices....And if your players want to run track during softball, theres a problem there too....So, with that being said, looks like you might have a bigger fight than you thought....
[/quote]

You are right "Chill" back to FB where I belong. I hate it when you are right.  ;D ;D

Guest bigcat
Man, I'm sure glad my daughter played select softball. Its paying for her education. And as for as Silsbee goes, most softball players only play softball. Their is a few that play other sports, but the coaches always seem to work together , when the sports overlap. As for as our softball coach, he always encourages his girls to play select softball. Thats why Silsbee has done so good in years past, People working together for the kids.

[quote name="Chill." post="821342" timestamp="1280291136"]

[/quote]

Oh we get it.....we get that our kids #1 priority is SOFTBALL and they are willing to sacrifice many other things to achieve that goal, and when the HS coaches "get it" as you put it......maybe they will start getting more of the better athletes to play multiple sports and help their programs be more successful!

Again, it doesnt have to be like that. My DD doesnt play VB because of stupid "all or none" rules. However, she does do track AT THE SAME TIME AS SOFTBALL....why? because the softball coach and track coach work together. It was made clear that softball is her priorty, the track coaches work around that. She went to regionals as a freshman in the high jump and triple jump......she also placed in the district meet in long jump.

You are correct Bleed, H-J BB does require CC, thats another reason they lost BB players that are focused on SB.....the all or none method of thinking will only cause the HS sports teams to lose players.....and who does that benefit....neither!

[quote name="WeedBegone" post="821396" timestamp="1280324464"]
Ok guys, for the rest of this interesting thread, could we limit our essays to 100 words or less.  I have got to get some work done.   ;D ;D
[/quote]

I know...right. I spend an easy hour reading these mile long posts.  ;D

Girls select softball has really changed over the years. There are so many new college programs that have just started and/or young programs trying to become winners. They are recruiting hard to find those players to help their program. Texas is the 2nd most recruited state for college coaches.(California is #1) The girls playing select softball know this. They also know that some tournaments have as many as 75 to 100 college coaches or scouts in attendance. There may be as many as 10 to 15 colleges watching a single game. These colleges will include UT's, Texas A&M, LSU and every school down to the smallest JUCO. That is a big deal to any kid trying to play at the next level. And the kids also know that recruiting is seasonal. If they miss a tournament they could have missed the golden opportunity. The kids put in alot of work and the parents do put in alot of money to help them reach their goals. Bottom line is this is not just some summer league. Now, I realize the school wants to impose certain requirements to ensure athletes do the right things for their high school sports. One of those requirements is show up to practice. I do understand and appreciate that as well. I just think this rule of missing practice constitutes missing the whole season is way out of line and I think that is the thing that has people wondering what he is trying to accomplish making the punishment so severe. There is an obvious disconnect here. I could see this really hurting the schools volleyball and softball programs (unless you want all you athletes playing only one sport) Maybe both sides can get together and talk this out. The AD may not know what he doesn't know and vice versa for the parents and athletes. I truely believe this can be resolved. But if he does decide to stand by this decision he better be ready to enforce it on all sports and all players because people will be watching. Sorry, wrote this before the 100 word max was enforced.

[quote name="shackbully" post="821407" timestamp="1280325719"]
Girls select softball has really changed over the years. There are so many new college programs that have just started and/or young programs trying to become winners. They are recruiting hard to find those players to help their program. Texas is the 2nd most recruited state for college coaches.(California is #1) The girls playing select softball know this. They also know that some tournaments have as many as 75 to 100 college coaches or scouts in attendance. There may be as many as 10 to 15 colleges watching a single game. These colleges will include UT's, Texas A&M, LSU and every school down to the smallest JUCO. That is a big deal to any kid trying to play at the next level. And the kids also know that recruiting is seasonal. If they miss a tournament they could have missed the golden opportunity. The kids put in alot of work and the parents do put in alot of money to help them reach their goals. Bottom line is this is not just some summer league. Now, I realize the school wants to impose certain requirements to ensure athletes do the right things for their high school sports. One of those requirements is show up to practice. I do understand and appreciate that as well. I just think this rule of missing practice constitutes missing the whole season is way out of line and I think that is the thing that has people wondering what he is trying to accomplish making the punishment so severe. There is an obvious disconnect here. I could see this really hurting the schools volleyball and softball programs (unless you want all you athletes playing only one sport) Maybe both sides can get together and talk this out. The AD may not know what he doesn't know and vice versa for the parents and athletes. I truely believe this can be resolved. But if he does decide to stand by this decision he better be ready to enforce it on all sports and all players because people will be watching. Sorry, wrote this before the 100 word max was enforced.
[/quote]

Shack Buddy---if you could have ommitted TU and lsu and any mention of California then you would have been perfect on the limit.  ;D

[quote name="shackbully" post="821407" timestamp="1280325719"]
[/quote]

Don't worry.  This isn't twitter.com!

shack...
You hit the nail on the head...all we can ask for is all sides involved to sit down and
work it out. Believe me...this goes way deeper than just softball players missing practice
for Nationals.....there are a few more resons kids are missing practice next week for sports related activiteis, that has not come out yet, that is going to involve more kids not playing Volleyball this year and the school knows that. Hopefully something can be done to reduce the punishment in the policy to allow these kids to play volleyball. If not, like shack said,
there will be alot of folks watching. And if you think that all the people involved have
not tried to work this out before hand you are sadly mistaken.

[quote name="Tigers9" post="821387" timestamp="1280322722"]
[quote author=Chill. link=topic=71234.msg821342#msg821342 date=1280291136]

[/quote]

Oh we get it.....we get that our kids #1 priority is SOFTBALL and they are willing to sacrifice many other things to achieve that goal, and when the HS coaches "get it" as you put it......maybe they will start getting more of the better athletes to play multiple sports and help their programs be more successful!

Again, it doesnt have to be like that. My DD doesnt play VB because of stupid "all or none" rules. However, she does do track AT THE SAME TIME AS SOFTBALL....why? because the softball coach and track coach work together. It was made clear that softball is her priorty, the track coaches work around that. She went to regionals as a freshman in the high jump and triple jump......she also placed in the district meet in long jump.

You are correct Bleed, H-J BB does require CC, thats another reason they lost BB players that are focused on SB.....the all or none method of thinking will only cause the HS sports teams to lose players.....and who does that benefit....neither!

[/quote]

Just what do you mean by this "all or none" rules? There are softball players that are playing volleyball at Silsbee.

I also agree that the kids should be allowed to play 2 school
sports at the same time "if they choose" at any school as long as the 2 coaches
involved and the player have worked a plan out to allow them
to do so. To put this in a policy takes the decision making out
of the hands of the coaches and the school team will suffer with
smaller and smaller amounts of players to choose from at smaller schools.

Guest bleed orange
[color=red]You are correct Bleed, H-J BB does require CC, thats another reason they lost BB players that are focused on SB.....the all or none method of thinking will only cause the HS sports teams to lose players.....and who does that benefit....neither![/color]

Maybe they were not BB players to begin with. Here is the deal with CC. At a small school they do not have enough coaches to assign a coach to be with the kids who are in athletics but or not playing the sport in season. What are these kids suppose to do during their atheltic period? Sit around and do nothing for an hour. At least in CC they are being active and staying in shape. Plus CC is the only other sport going on at that time. Kids that quit a sport were going to quit anyway because their heart was just not in a particular sport. If softball is your sport then fine play softball. Coaches are not losing kids because of certain policies. Kids are dropping out on their own.

This has been a good thread to read but am I correct in saying we are talking about

"Southern Nationals",  "Southern Nationals"  come on  "Southern Nationals".

Is this not the tournament for all the teams that did not qualify for the REAL Nationals. Anyone who plays ASA can attend this one.

Will not be any coaches watching this one. May be time to start Volleyball practice.

[quote name="Buddy09" post="821437" timestamp="1280332126"]
This has been a good thread to read but am I correct in saying we are talking about

Is this not the tournament for all the teams that did not qualify for the REAL Nationals. Anyone who plays ASA can attend this one.

Will not be any coaches watching this one. May be time to start Volleyball practice.
[/quote]
Not the point. AD didn't say "those attending Southern Nationals and missing practice can't play". What he said affects a whole host of kids that could be playing in a National event. Again I ask if the OF kids from the BC LL had played in the LL WS and missed a few Football Practices would they be kicked off of the team? or even expelled from school for missing a few days?

[quote name="Buddy09" post="821437" timestamp="1280332126"]

[/quote]

WOW!!!! Now this sheds new light on the subject. ;)

So anyone can play this tourney, hmmmmm..... So this team did not qualify, hmmmmmm.... No college scouts will be attending, hmmmmmmm..... This isn't the "year long trying to qualify" tourney, like it was mentioned before, hmmmmmmmm......

Interesting ;) ;D ::)

[quote name="badndn" post="821443" timestamp="1280333623"]
[quote author=Buddy09 link=topic=71234.msg821437#msg821437 date=1280332126]

"Southern Nationals",  "Southern Nationals"  come on  "Southern Nationals".

[/quote]
Not the point. AD didn't say "those attending Southern Nationals and missing practice can't play". What he said affects a whole host of kids that could be playing in a National event. Again I ask if the OF kids from the BC LL had played in the LL WS and missed a few Football Practices would they be kicked off of the team? or even expelled from school for missing a few days?
[/quote]

While I doubt they would be expelled, under the policy that Coach Huckabay seems to be holding to, the answer is yes, they would be held off of the junior high teams.

Parents in the past, can I said I heard it in Mid County, check their kids out of school and enroll them when they get back....Its all about how you work the system.....That's why you don't bash people on a public forum cause then everyone knows what's going on.....too late for that now, right JohnnyT....although, it might still work... ;)  

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="821447" timestamp="1280334484"]
[quote author=Buddy09 link=topic=71234.msg821437#msg821437 date=1280332126]

"Southern Nationals",  "Southern Nationals"  come on  "Southern Nationals".

[/quote]

WOW!!!! Now this sheds new light on the subject. ;)

So anyone can play this tourney, hmmmmm..... So this team did not qualify, hmmmmmm.... No college scouts will be attending, hmmmmmmm..... This isn't the "year long trying to qualify" tourney, like it was mentioned before, hmmmmmmmm......

Interesting ;) ;D ::)
[/quote]

I agree.  

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    hulmeyolmu
    Newest Member
    hulmeyolmu