texans

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest pirates
Reprint from the Vidor Shopper 2/10/2010
David Ball

Since the Crosby Cougars canceled an upcoming football game this fall with the Vidor Pirates, an Internet forum with a cross section of Southeast sports – www.setxsports.com – has been buzzing with rumors.

One of those rumors – The elephant in the room – is some on the Crosby ISD school board didn’t want to travel to Vidor because of SAFETY concerns for their players and perceived racism in Vidor.

Michael Joseph, superintendent of schools for Crosby ISD wrote via e-mail the decision to cancel the game was made solely by the superintendent of schools.  Crosby board member, administrators and community members did not know Crosby was considering playing Vidor.

“I canceled the game because of the distance and cost involved in the teams playing each other.  On December 12, 2009, our community passed a Tax Ratification Election.  In the weeks leading up to it at several community meetings, I promised to make the best use of taxpayer money”.

“While we have traveled to Waco the last two years, we will not be going there next year.  We do go to PN-G once every two years.  Everyone in Texas knows of the great tradition there and it is good for our fans to see the great support and atmosphere that is at PN-G.  We want to be like them “Joseph wrote. Joseph added their district is looking at saving money and using tax payer money efficiently in everything they do. “That is the reality of property-poor public school districts in Texas today,” he wrote.

Dr. Joe Burns, superintendent of Vidor ISD, said the decision to cancel the game was Crosby’s to make, not Vidor. “They just won’t get a chance to find out there’s a lot of good people in Vidor and a chance to see our rich tradition and heritage,” he said.  â€œWe’re going to move on, our kids are the best.  The very best.” Burns said he hasn’t heard from Joseph before or after the cancellation.  He added he has to take Joseph’s word the reasons were financial.

Vidor ISD is currently working on replacing Crosby with Texas High of Texarkana and Kirbyville on the schedule. “This will be a better situation.  The (Vidor) kids will be tested early.  If there’s an issue with Vidor, I would ask for them to call and say so with their concerns,” Burns said.  â€œI wish Crosby the best in their endeavors and I’m sorry about this.”

Vidor head coach and athletic director Jeff Mathews said he could not comment on the game cancellation but he did say he set out to do two things when he was hired as head coach: no one would love the kids more than he and to do everything in his power to change the way people who live outside of Vidor looks at Vidor. “People won’t let Vidor out of this stigma,” Mathews said. “I don’t have a racist kid on my team.  I’ll put our kids against any in the area and I promise you none of them are less racist than ours.  I really believe that.  It’s time people outside of Vidor start letting that go.”

Vidor should hold their head high! In fact, I always would defend Crosby because the schools around Lake Houston look down on Crosby as a rather "BAD" area! Now Crosby does the thing that other schools say about them to someone else!!Is life funny or what!!!!!!!!

Typical politician BS..Worried about travel and we are playing Montgomery in football...The volleyball team this year went to Beaumont 2 times for a tournament...Baseball will be going to KILGORE for a tournament,that will be hotel bills.Baseball also going to Huntsville and LCM...For a property poor school district seems like we can travel all around Vidor..I wish the newspaper in Vidor would of brought up all this travel this spring.....

[quote name="Pirates" post="758174" timestamp="1265842552"]
[color=purple][b][size=12pt]"We do go to PN-G once every two years.  Everyone in Texas knows of the great tradition there and it is good for our fans to see the great support and atmosphere that is at PN-G.  [u]We want to be like them.[/u]" Joseph wrote.[/size][/b][/color][/quote]

;D

Mr Joseph:    The issue was dead for two whole days until [u]you[/u] wrote the letter that seems a little suspect to almost everyone that has read it.

Mr Joseph:    Not only did you bring this hot issue back up after it was dead; you mistakenly think that reasonable SE Texans believe a word you said.  You only made it up after you got caught.  You might want to fire your PR Team.  Would save the district money being that "On December 12, 2009, our community passed a Tax Ratification Election.".

[size=12pt][b]Shame on You![/[/b]size]  Crosby deserves better than you.  ::)

[quote name="PN-G bandkid" post="758255" timestamp="1265854822"]
[quote author=Pirates link=topic=65269.msg758174#msg758174 date=1265842552]
[color=purple][b][size=12pt]"We do go to PN-G once every two years.  Everyone in Texas knows of the great tradition there and it is good for our fans to see the great support and atmosphere that is at PN-G.  [u]We want to be like them.[/u]" Joseph wrote.[/size][/b][/color][/quote]

;D
[/quote] :D

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="GCMPats" post="750720" timestamp="1264648173"]
[quote author=KDOSullivan link=topic=65269.msg750647#msg750647 date=1264643624]
I just found this story...I can't believe it.....
[/quote]

[size=10pt][b]I am sure that CISD, if this is true, made this decision based on financial reasons. It is just too expensive in today's economy to play a game this far away. ;)[/b][/size]
Spin, spin, spin!
[/quote]

Dang I'm good!  :D

[quote name="raideroldtimer" post="756795" timestamp="1265619024"]
[quote author=(13) link=topic=65269.msg756761#msg756761 date=1265601834]
[quote author=Cougtalk link=topic=65269.msg756606#msg756606 date=1265577375]
[quote author=the_dude_abides link=topic=65269.msg755438#msg755438 date=1265374468]
cougtalk. really? crosby is just being crosby on this one. classy move cougars.
[/quote]

As Dayton is Dayton and Vidor is Vidor? this exact post is what your criticizing crosby for. Your saying that Crosby is always this way and has always been this way, just like our administrators apparently think Vidor has always been they way they were and will always be in thier eyes.

Congrats your exact insinuation is what your criticizing, its a freaking hypocracy. (this is not an attack on anyone else haven't had a problem with other psot so far.)
[/quote]

Great post. I live near Crosby, not in it, but I know the place. Crosby is an old farming and ranching community and deserves better than what is being written on this board.  Crosby is more than the community of Newport and more than the community of Barrett Station. Newport came along in the 70's and those people came from places all over the state and all over the nation to live there. 

I personally think this thread has gotten way too much bad publicity for Crosby that they do not deserve.  Most of those people don't have a clue what their school board decides or doesn't decide.
[/quote]
"As Dayton is Dayton", hmm, I'd be willing to bet Dayton wouldn't drop a game against Vidor, even if most of their players were of a different race. For one thing, Dayton likes the competition over here because it's more competitive year in and year out than over there. Those Broncs are always chomping at the bit to get one of the Golden Triangle teams in their sites win or lose. KF should have stood those school board members down, those folks weren't using any logical sense, just irrational fears.
[/quote]

I wasn't saying Dayton is bad but it was just making a point dayton is dayton and thier proud of what they are, Stewarts mentality of football is now engrained in that town... nothing negative but, i wasn't to happy about a porevious post (not ment to be rude to dayton alothough someone  (whos from Lumberton) took it that way... how odd.

Reprint from the Vidor Shopper 2/10/2010
David Ball

Since the Crosby Cougars canceled an upcoming football game this fall with the Vidor Pirates, an Internet forum with a cross section of Southeast sports – www.setxsports.com – has been buzzing with rumors.

One of those rumors – The elephant in the room – is some on the Crosby ISD school board didn’t want to travel to Vidor because of SAFETY concerns for their players and perceived racism in Vidor.

Michael Joseph, superintendent of schools for Crosby ISD wrote via e-mail the decision to cancel the game was made solely by the superintendent of schools.  Crosby board member, administrators and community members did not know Crosby was considering playing Vidor.

“I canceled the game because of the distance and cost involved in the teams playing each other.  On December 12, 2009, our community passed a Tax Ratification Election.  In the weeks leading up to it at several community meetings, I promised to make the best use of taxpayer money”.

“While we have traveled to Waco the last two years, we will not be going there next year.  We do go to PN-G once every two years.  Everyone in Texas knows of the great tradition there and it is good for our fans to see the great support and atmosphere that is at PN-G.  We want to be like them “Joseph wrote. Joseph added their district is looking at saving money and using tax payer money efficiently in everything they do. “That is the reality of property-poor public school districts in Texas today,” he wrote.

Dr. Joe Burns, superintendent of Vidor ISD, said the decision to cancel the game was Crosby’s to make, not Vidor. “They just won’t get a chance to find out there’s a lot of good people in Vidor and a chance to see our rich tradition and heritage,” he said.  â€œWe’re going to move on, our kids are the best.  The very best.” Burns said he hasn’t heard from Joseph before or after the cancellation.  He added he has to take Joseph’s word the reasons were financial.

Vidor ISD is currently working on replacing Crosby with Texas High of Texarkana and Kirbyville on the schedule. “This will be a better situation.  The (Vidor) kids will be tested early.  If there’s an issue with Vidor, I would ask for them to call and say so with their concerns,” Burns said.  â€œI wish Crosby the best in their endeavors and I’m sorry about this.”

Vidor head coach and athletic director Jeff Mathews said he could not comment on the game cancellation but he did say he set out to do two things when he was hired as head coach: no one would love the kids more than he and to do everything in his power to change the way people who live outside of Vidor looks at Vidor. “People won’t let Vidor out of this stigma,” Mathews said. “I don’t have a racist kid on my team.  I’ll put our kids against any in the area and I promise you none of them are less racist than ours.  I really believe that.  It’s time people outside of Vidor start letting that go.”

[/quote]

Hu? I didn't know 80miles of Travel was that big of a deal...

We do go to PN-G once every two years.  Everyone in Texas knows of the great tradition there and it is good for our fans to see the great support and atmosphere that is at PN-G.  [size=14pt]We want to be like them[/size] “Joseph wrote.
[/quote]

;D

• 1 year later...
[quote name="robanadana" post="1110459" timestamp="1320897649"]
I wish someone would take this thread off the board and bury it in the backyard, deep where it never comes up again.
[/quote]
Exactly. This has no bearing on this game. Vidor needs to focus on beating the Crosby football team and not worry about Crosby's local politicians and their ignorance. Good luck Pirates! Me and my purple crew will be there tomorrow night cheering ya'll on.

[quote name="ndnsrock44" post="1110467" timestamp="1320897957"]
[quote author=robanadana link=topic=65269.msg1110459#msg1110459 date=1320897649]
I wish someone would take this thread off the board and bury it in the backyard, deep where it never comes up again.
[/quote]
Exactly. This has no bearing on this game. Vidor needs to focus on beating the Crosby football team and not worry about Crosby's local politicians and their ignorance. Good luck Pirates! Me and my purple crew will be there tomorrow night cheering ya'll on.
[/quote]

This is nothing more than a desperation move...Trying to make Vidor lose focus on the main issue at hand, to avoid a beat down They know is coming... ;D ;D...GO Pirates...!!!!!!

[quote name="Kville_Kats" post="1110760" timestamp="1320939805"]
[quote author=ndnsrock44 link=topic=65269.msg1110467#msg1110467 date=1320897957]
[quote author=robanadana link=topic=65269.msg1110459#msg1110459 date=1320897649]
[/quote]
[/quote]

This is nothing more than a desperation move...Trying to make Vidor lose focus on the main issue at hand, to avoid a beat down They know is coming... ;D ;D...GO Pirates...!!!!!!
[/quote]desperation move??? I believe it was blackflag who brought it back up which is form vidor.  mabye a desperation for Vidor... trying to get them to fight... and there will be a beat down tonight.. the pirate ship will have to be pulled into port...
trust me... Crosby will dominate!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder

• I haven’t been watching closely, but even the liberal sources even tell the story as “the defense really took apart Cohen’s testimony on Thursday.” It sounds like sloppy work from the prosecution to point out a specific call as being “the one,” when it was easily concluded that this particular call could not have occurred the way that Cohen (and the prosecution) claim it to have happened.    The bad news is that I doubt that it matters much-I suspect that most jurors minds were closed before testimony started.   I don’t see Trump leaving with anything less than a conviction based on the venue (NYC).
    • Tough case all the way around.  The guy had a lot of online activity come out where he made racist statements and statements about killing BLM protesters and looters.  So when he then goes out and does it, it looks really bad.  I've seen a lot of videos where people have driven through protestors, defended themselves against them, etc., and didn't bat an eye.  This feels different, but that doesn't necessarily make it murder, either.  His account of the events that happened vs. the witness accounts were both very different, but I'd also expect both sides' accounts to be self-serving and inaccurate to fit their narrative.  Not really sure what to think on this one.  
    • @CardinalBacker   Wanted to get your thoughts on how Cohen did as Bragg's star witness..... My Take: The State spent two days acknowledging that Cohen lied all the time but now he has come clean,,,,,,,it took the defense (having same evidence state had), just a few hours to confirm Cohen lied to the current jury a couple days ago......  While I thought initially Trump would be found guilty due to venue, with best case a hung jury, there is now a pretty good chance he will be acquitted...... Thoughts anyone??   This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up
    • I can only imagine what you over heard. With most of that group there’s no telling. 
    • If I recall at that time you had protestors all all over the country jumping on cars while people were in them......While I agree it was stupid shooting him, how do you know what a guy is going to do walking up to you with an exposed gun? At the time I thought it was justified simply because you can't know the drivers level of fear......  
  • Topics