BH Hires Two-time State Champ Coach - Ronnie Gage

HillGuy

I understand what 7 ON 7 is for, I have read on previous post he was one of the last coaches to get on board with the 7 on 7 and he runs a run oriented offense, I read Austin College did lead the confernece in rushing.  I did not see stats from Austin College.  I know we have a couple of Wrs that had great seasons last year and are returning, hope we keep them involved.  We will see how it goes.  I'm sure he mixes it up.  How much did Austin College pass last year ?

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Eagle0011" post="751133" timestamp="1264718613"]
I understand what 7 ON 7 is for, I have read on previous post he was one of the last coaches to get on board with the 7 on 7 and he runs a run oriented offense, I read Austin College did lead the confernece in rushing.   I did not see stats from Austin College.  I know we have a couple of Wrs that had great seasons last year and are returning, hope we keep them involved.  We will see how it goes.  I'm sure he mixes it up.  How much did Austin College pass last year ?
[/quote]

Passing 1520 Yards
Rushing 2274 Yards

Here is a link to 2009 Austin College Stats

[url=http://artemis.austincollege.edu/admin/sports/statistics/fbteam.htm]Stats Click Here[/url]

[quote name="Tyrone_Biggums" post="751216" timestamp="1264733819"]
Any guesses as to what BH's record vs Dayton will be in the years to come?  I will go ahead and predict BH will go 2 - 8 against Dayton for the next decade.  I know, I'm baiting the hook here, but this lovefest makes me want to puke in my mouth.
[/quote]

First we have to see if they will even play each other.  For conversation, let's say they do, in that case I say they split.  Had BH not put their defensive head in their tail-end this year Dayton would have been beat by BH.  Dayton's weakness this year was against the pass, so will be interesting to see how a mis-directed running attack might fair.  Dayton always has speed. 

[quote name="Eagle0011" post="751311" timestamp="1264770715"]

Thanks BH Fan, that make me feel a lot better.  That is a pretty balanced attack.  Can't wait to see how it turns out.  Does anyone have any info. on the defense he ran and how they ?
[/quote]

I haven't seen Jack about the defense that he may run or if he is going to bring a DC with him. good question? Anyone?

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="BHFAN" post="751328" timestamp="1264775139"]
[quote author=Eagle0011 link=topic=64943.msg751311#msg751311 date=1264770715]

Thanks BH Fan, that make me feel a lot better.  That is a pretty balanced attack.  Can't wait to see how it turns out.  Does anyone have any info. on the defense he ran and how they ?
[/quote]

I haven't seen Jack about the defense that he may run or if he is going to bring a DC with him. good question? Anyone?
[/quote]

Here are some youtube videos of his 1996 team. Might give some insight, this was 14 years ago however.

(Lewisville in white)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ0c7KRI5D4

[quote name="the_dude_abides" post="751715" timestamp="1264814512"]
I hope that realignment doesn't separate Dayton and BH.  I would like this to develop into a really good rivalry.  Ok, I'm just kidding, I want Dayton to beat BH every year...but I would like close, hard fought games.
[/quote]

at least your honest.  8) 8)

Looks like by the clips that they Lewisville started out in a 50 defense, looked very good.  You can tell that Gage did his homework, the team he was playing was a passing team. He was mixing it up with a 5 man front, putting pressure on the QB, then he would go to a 4 man front and drop a extra guy in coverage in passing situations. He had some studs in 1996.  With the linebackers that are returning to the Hill, that should make him smile. If he can put a secondary together he should have a lot to work with next year. Not sure on the defensive line, does anyone know how many if any are returning on the D line next year ?  I know that BH was young last year, so they should have a lot returning with varsity playing time. His style of offense and defense may be a perfect fit. Time will tell.

I'm not concerned as much about our defense, as I am our offense. I was in one of our local restaurants, and over heard two guys talking about how great our offense was going to be next year. I'm glad everyone is pumped up, so am I, but I can't figure out how we are going to run the wishbone, when we don't have any real running backs? I just don't see any big, fast, powerful running backs to make the wishbone successful. Plus don't we need three or four of them? Then where do we get a option QB? Does anyone know any of these answers? I'm excited,but a little nervous also.

[quote name="bh34" post="752691" timestamp="1265033684"]
I'm not concerned as much about our defense, as I am our offense. I was in one of our local restaurants, and over heard two guys talking about how great our offense was going to be next year. I'm glad everyone is pumped up, so am I, but I can't figure out how we are going to run the wishbone, when we don't have any real running backs? I just don't see any big, fast, powerful running backs to make the wishbone successful. Plus don't we need three or four of them? Then where do we get a option QB? Does anyone know any of these answers? I'm excited,but a little nervous also.
[/quote]

Hope you get your answers here because I was wondering the same thing. ;D

Guest Coach or Die 67
Hopefully he will run what is best suited for the kids.  Do not feed them the spread offense if they should be run orieneted and do not feed them the run offense if they need to be pass oriented.  A good mixture of both is needed for every team.  More running attempts or passing attempts should be determined by what your hole card is.

[quote name="bh34" post="752691" timestamp="1265033684"]
[/quote]

I have seen small backs, with small O-Lines run it effectively.  If you have good fundamentals and block well, the formation allows for the defense to have one guy or more out of place and creates a one-on-one in open space with the lead runner.  More than size, speed and athletic ability can help.  Not saying a Clay McWilliams blocking out of the backfrield would not be nice, but you can run it effectively without size.  Liberty Hill ran a version of it, they called it the "Wing-Tee" and they did very well.  They were not a big team at all, just ask Jasper who played them the year Jasper went to State.

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="bh89-2" post="750867" timestamp="1264691108"]
[quote author=GCMPats link=topic=64943.msg750864#msg750864 date=1264690924]
[quote author=bh89-2 link=topic=64943.msg750855#msg750855 date=1264688493]
[quote author=Stranger link=topic=64943.msg750843#msg750843 date=1264686450]
How about we wait until some W's are put up before we bow down to the school board.  Their voice in who is hired is not as big as you might think.
[/quote]

I figured you might like that.......  ;) ;) It's hard to bow down at a school board meeting when GCMPATS is standing in the door of the board room....  ;D ;D ;D
[/quote]

Hey.......what did I do?  8)
[/quote]

Just pokin fun at you friend........  ;D ;D  So ya'll gonna let your running back transfer to The Hill this spring?  We'll take really good care of him.
[/quote]

I hear one of your strong-armed QB's is coming to the Goose? Is this a trade of some sort?

[quote name="GCMPats" post="755040" timestamp="1265299414"]
[quote author=bh89-2 link=topic=64943.msg750867#msg750867 date=1264691108]
How about we wait until some W's are put up before we bow down to the school board.  Their voice in who is hired is not as big as you might think.
[/quote]

I figured you might like that.......  ;) ;) It's hard to bow down at a school board meeting when GCMPATS is standing in the door of the board room....  ;D ;D ;D
[/quote]

What, season has not started yet and GCM is already trying to get autographs?????????  ;D ;D ;D
[/quote]

Just pokin fun at you friend........  ;D ;D  So ya'll gonna let your running back transfer to The Hill this spring?  We'll take really good care of him.
[/quote]

I hear one of your strong-armed QB's is coming to the Goose? Is this a trade of some sort?
[/quote]

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="bh89-2" post="755122" timestamp="1265307636"]
[quote author=GCMPats link=topic=64943.msg755040#msg755040 date=1265299414]
[quote author=bh89-2 link=topic=64943.msg750867#msg750867 date=1264691108]
[/quote]

[/quote]

What, season has not started yet and GCM is already trying to get autographs?????????   ;D ;D ;D
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Huh? Autographs?

[quote name="bh89-2" post="753065" timestamp="1265047392"]
[quote author=bh34 link=topic=64943.msg752691#msg752691 date=1265033684]
[/quote]

I have seen small backs, with small O-Lines run it effectively.  If you have good fundamentals and block well, the formation allows for the defense to have one guy or more out of place and creates a one-on-one in open space with the lead runner.  More than size, speed and athletic ability can help.  Not saying a Clay McWilliams blocking out of the backfrield would not be nice, but you can run it effectively without size.  Liberty Hill ran a version of it, they called it the "Wing-Tee" and they did very well.  They were not a big team at all, just ask Jasper who played them the year Jasper went to State.
[/quote]

Liberty Hill runs the Slot-T, not the Wing T. They are two different things, and both are far different from the Wishbone.

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="BringinTheHeat" post="755148" timestamp="1265310371"]
I bet a dollar to a doughnut that he doesn't move! He said the same thing when his oldest boy was playing at the Hill. I think he thought he had the upper hand on coaches at the Hill and now that has changed. (Nunez and Price being gone). OOPs!  :o
[/quote]

The new system does not fit his "style" of play.

[quote name="Bill Dauterive" post="755153" timestamp="1265310717"]
[quote author=bh89-2 link=topic=64943.msg753065#msg753065 date=1265047392]
[quote author=bh34 link=topic=64943.msg752691#msg752691 date=1265033684]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Liberty Hill runs the Slot-T, not the Wing T. They are two different things, and both are far different from the Wishbone.
[/quote]

I have a 4-year old DVD that was filmed by the coaching staff and edited by the Team Mom's husband and the DVD is titled, Wing-T offense.  I realize it's not the wishbone, but the similarity I was trying to make is the 3 back set.  Nothing more than that.

[quote name="GCMPats" post="755175" timestamp="1265313872"]
[quote author=BringinTheHeat link=topic=64943.msg755148#msg755148 date=1265310371]
I bet a dollar to a doughnut that he doesn't move! He said the same thing when his oldest boy was playing at the Hill. I think he thought he had the upper hand on coaches at the Hill and now that has changed. (Nunez and Price being gone). OOPs!  :o
[/quote]

[/quote]

Aww come on. Don't be scared of being a white option QB. There are tons of them!!! Right??? Don't worry about the parent/ coach relationships. We have plenty of underclassmen with parents who feel like tey own the new guy. It will be fun to watch. I'm still a little worried about the defense as well. Hopefully BH will continue to play smash mouth and the DB's will be taught how to defend and look for the ball. Over the past 5 years I have seen a ton of completed passes that almost hit our DB's in the back of the head. ;D

Whatever the coach runs Wishbone/Flexbone or dogbone ;D we will have the kids to run it. If you look back over the years our QB's have been most of the offense running left. right up the middle with this formation you at least put 1 to 2 lead blockers ahead of the runner instead of stringing your QB out to die every play!!! Making BH better is not about the formations IMHO its about adjusting to your what talent you have then adjusting what plays to be ran from the formation. Cage has the experiance to do this I bet he has forgotten more than most coaches know ;D

[quote name="MHS32" post="755447" timestamp="1265377257"]
[quote author=GCMPats link=topic=64943.msg755175#msg755175 date=1265313872]
[quote author=BringinTheHeat link=topic=64943.msg755148#msg755148 date=1265310371]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Aww come on. Don't be scared of being a white option QB. There are tons of them!!! Right??? Don't worry about the parent/ coach relationships. We have plenty of underclassmen with parents who feel like tey own the new guy. It will be fun to watch. I'm still a little worried about the defense as well. Hopefully BH will continue to play smash mouth and the DB's will be taught how to defend and look for the ball. Over the past 5 years I have seen a ton of completed passes that almost hit our DB's in the back of the head. ;D
[/quote]

Hey, Hey....... Price is gone, it's all going to be better now.  Win or lose, it's better.  :-* :-* :-*

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder